IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I have to apologise here
As Beep reminded me, I made a huge assumption about you, an assumption that I would not make about, say, mmoffitt. I assumed that you and I are the same "type" of observer, and in our discussion only that particular type matters. I was wrong. You are indeed a different type. No discussion about beauty is possible between us. And you were right, the "objective beaty" does not exist as far as you and I are concerned. We are too different.

I have to ask you another question, though. Is there anything that some people call "beautiful" that you would call "ugly" (Pontiac Aztec not included)? In the area of art, I mean.

------

179. I will not outsource core functions.
--
[link|http://omega.med.yale.edu/~pcy5/misc/overlord2.htm|.]

New You're still missing the point
The point was not whether I can have a discussion about beauty with anyone; I just picked three things that I know I find beautiful but which are probably examples of the kind of thing that wreck Marlowe's "There is an objective standard of beauty" argument - it takes a particular kind of brain to regard Jesu's music as beautiful.

Art that some people call beautiful but which I regard as ugly? Roy Lichtenstein. Andy Warhol. Jackson Pollock. Pop Art in general. I also regard most naive art as fairly horrible. Stuff like [link|http://images.google.com/images?svnum=100&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&c2coff=1&client=safari&rls=en-us&q=naive+art&btnG=Search|this].

Peter
[link|http://www.no2id.net/|Don't Let The Terrorists Win]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
New those pictures are loverly
Of course I like dogs playing poker on black velvet so what do I know.
thanx,
bill
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 50 years. meep
New The Pontiac Aztek has a face...
...(and an arse) only a GM designer could love....
jb4
"So don't pay attention to the approval ratings that say 68% of Americans disapprove of the job this man is doing. I ask you this, does that not also logically mean that 68% approve of the job he's not doing? Think about it. I haven't."
Stephen Colbert, at the White House Correspondent's Dinner 29Apr06
New Grargh.
That's grim.

Peter
[link|http://www.no2id.net/|Don't Let The Terrorists Win]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
     A declaration of humanism - (marlowe) - (67)
         I don't hate humanity - (ben_tilly) - (1)
             Oh, you're soooo intolerant. - (marlowe)
         What I want to hear from you is . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             Your confusion of opinion with reality... - (marlowe)
         Im glad you support legalizing drugs and prostitution - (boxley)
         Fascist-humanist - (JayMehaffey) - (4)
             There's a little thing called logic. - (marlowe) - (3)
                 Then how - (JayMehaffey)
                 Rules in society aren't black and white. - (Another Scott)
                 You just heard of it? - (tuberculosis)
         Zero grasp of basic economic theory - (tuberculosis)
         Okay now I have more time to address your concerns - (boxley) - (52)
             It was nice of you to do that - (bepatient) - (51)
                 +5 Insightful - (jb4) - (1)
                     I'm gonna say it again - (jake123)
                 I don't know much about art... - (marlowe) - (48)
                     Define objective. Define beauty. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                         You really need "objective" defined for you? - (marlowe) - (4)
                             Define "objective beauty". - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                 Objective beauty == oxymoron - (jbrabeck) - (1)
                                     I know that and you know that. - (pwhysall)
                             you havnt answered why the people you date arnt objectively - (boxley)
                     give me a break, look at the women(or men) you date - (boxley)
                     I like motorway intersections, integrated circuits and fonts - (pwhysall)
                     Don't know much about history... - (jb4)
                     I don't think so, pal. - (bepatient) - (1)
                         Who you callin' "sir"?!? - (jb4)
                     Or anything else it seems -NT - (tuberculosis)
                     I'm surprised at you - (GBert)
                     Why does a humanist care about the madonna? -NT - (warmachine) - (1)
                         why does anyone care about madonna? -NT - (boxley)
                     Re: I don't know much about art... - (pwhysall) - (32)
                         I, on the other hand, - (jbrabeck) - (7)
                             Objective beauty of art? That's too easy! - (GBert) - (6)
                                 And someone called *me* snarky -NT - (drewk) - (3)
                                     Well, they were right... - (jb4) - (2)
                                         How about "table-driven snarky"? OOP is a lie! -NT - (drewk) - (1)
                                             Alright! Who stole Drew's ID and is holding it for ransom? -NT - (jb4)
                                 Objective beauty is soviet era art with american flags -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                     I believe Rand has a nice collection of that -NT - (drewk)
                         So, please, tell me. Is there such "thing" as beauty? - (Arkadiy) - (23)
                             Point = missed. - (pwhysall) - (7)
                                 Not really missed - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                     Yeah, you have. - (pwhysall)
                                 I have to apologise here - (Arkadiy) - (4)
                                     You're still missing the point - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                         those pictures are loverly - (boxley)
                                     The Pontiac Aztek has a face... - (jb4) - (1)
                                         Grargh. - (pwhysall)
                             Independent from the observer? No. - (bepatient) - (14)
                                 I guess I have to agree - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                     And I with you - (bepatient)
                                 s /Van Gogh/Rembrandt perhaps? -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                     Yeah...my bad. -NT - (bepatient)
                                 Not I - (jbrabeck) - (9)
                                     Its a huge painting - (bepatient) - (8)
                                         Yabbut - (imric) - (7)
                                             And we will burn that which fails the test! - (pwhysall)
                                             Um... - (bepatient) - (5)
                                                 ROFL... Come now, Beep! - (imric) - (4)
                                                     Oh, come on now - 'Saving the Cheeeldrun' is . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                                                         Here's how: - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                             why dont you like the picture of a labrador wearing a coat? -NT - (boxley)
                                                             Gah! I've seen "Glory to CPSU"posters that were better made. -NT - (Arkadiy)
         Me too! Give me a break too! - (rcareaga) - (2)
             For those of you who need a dictionary - (broomberg) - (1)
                 Calumny! -NT - (pwhysall)

That's not fair! I'm just a transparent rhetorical device!
123 ms