IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New My current job has taught me the following mantra:
Work is something you do, not someplace you go.

I'm a Java developer. I work ... currently out of my basement. In the spring, it was out of my den, but then it got too damn hot up there once things started turning warm. So I retreated to a cooler location.

I am employed as a permanent full-time employee at my company. When we need to have meetings, we usually do it via [link|http://www.goteamspeak.com/|TeamSpeak]. This was after trying Skype and some other aborted VOIP software that didn't have a Linux client -- and therefore didn't fly with yours truly.

I started as a consultant with this company in February (2005.) For most weeks through mid-May, I was in the office (along with the rest of my teammates) about 2-3 times a week. April and May were when we were testing the different VOIP software choices. Once we got up on TeamSpeak, we stopped showing up at the office. We can talk real-time with each other using our microphones and speakers. We hold team meetings, and have even showed this software off to some of our clients. All are intrigued.

Since mid-May, I've been to the office exactly five times. Three times to interview potential cow-orkers. Once to help a new employee get started and all set up on his first day. And once for a company-wide meeting.

I'm sold on this concept.

Yes, you miss out on some of the information flow that happens when you live in a cube farm. Pair programming is rather impossible to do. However, our usage of VOIP software brings some of that information flow back to the table. The advantages, I feel, outweight the drawbacks.

The company is located in Naperville, Illinois. We just hired a second person who lives in Madrid. Spain. Someone just started last week who lives in Madison, WI. This business model greatly expands our potential pool of employees. I see little reason to have to "go to work" -- meaning travel to an office -- anymore.

[Edit: tyop]
-YendorMike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
Expand Edited by Yendor Oct. 19, 2005, 01:25:10 PM EDT
New may you be gainfully employed as long as you wish
"the reason people don't buy conspiracy theories is that they think conspiracy means everyone is on the same program. Thats not how it works. Everybody has a different program. They just all want the same guy dead. Socrates was a gadfly, but I bet he took time out to screw somebodies wife" Gus Vitelli

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 49 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
     Busy busy - (bionerd) - (115)
         Oh don't say that - (drewk)
         Those tired old office cronies... - (bepatient)
         Shouldn't that be . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         Great! But take care of your feet. - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Great minds.. - (Ashton)
             Not to worry - (bionerd)
         You go, Girl! - (imqwerky)
         no klacking please we're thinking... - (cforde) - (106)
             Sorry, I'll try to klack quietly - (bionerd) - (105)
                 all these years I thought the only reason ya'll wore em - (boxley)
                 It is not impossible - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                     yeah, but that hurts even more. -NT - (bionerd) - (1)
                         But it gets a nice swivel going -NT - (drewk)
                 I doubt most men here wear ties to work -NT - (tonytib) - (9)
                     My current job has taught me the following mantra: - (Yendor) - (1)
                         may you be gainfully employed as long as you wish -NT - (boxley)
                     I figure the tie allows me to bill . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                         So how much is the Helmet & Cigar worth? -NT - (ChrisR) - (1)
                             Priceless -NT - (Andrew Grygus)
                     Yes for office, no for site -NT - (pwhysall)
                     Men have worn ties in every office I've worked in - (bionerd) - (2)
                         Re: Men have worn ties... - (rcareaga) - (1)
                             Run! . . . Oh, never mind. -NT - (Silverlock)
                 I haven't worn a tie for over 9 years - (cforde) - (90)
                     Yes - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                         Bravo!!!! - (bionerd)
                         Wahka Wahka Wahka! - (imqwerky)
                     Last two places I've worked don't require ties. - (Meerkat) - (86)
                         Ties are designed to go out of fashion whether worn or not. - (Another Scott) - (85)
                             Thanks to 'casual Friday'... - (Meerkat) - (84)
                                 :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                                 A man in a sharp suit and tie - (bionerd) - (82)
                                     once had an white silk suit - (boxley) - (7)
                                         Why on earth would you have a white silk suit? - (bionerd) - (6)
                                             70's think Truman Capote meets Carlo Gambino -NT - (boxley) - (5)
                                                 The book! -NT - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                                                     The look, not the meeting of two literary giants - (boxley)
                                                     Why not?If the story is good,then the more of it the better! -NT - (CRConrad)
                                                 Ooooo foxy! -NT - (bionerd) - (1)
                                                     Ewww, creepy -NT - (drewk)
                                     I feel like I'm being strangled when I wear a tie -NT - (ben_tilly) - (73)
                                         I feel businesslike when I'm wearing one. - (pwhysall) - (13)
                                             Ditto - (jbrabeck) - (1)
                                                 So they become ties in the full moon? -NT - (drewk)
                                             Yeah, well, but isn't that a *stupid* feeling? - (CRConrad) - (9)
                                                 If you're get'n strangled . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                                 Not at all. - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                                     Ring Ring Ring Ring Ring Ring Ring. :-D -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                     Clean Coveralls with a nametag give the same impression of - (boxley) - (2)
                                                         On the shop floor, sure. -NT - (pwhysall)
                                                         And you can collect the brooms people hand you. -NT - (Andrew Grygus)
                                                     The "opening your mouth" comment is more true there - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                         Thing of the past, by and large. -NT - (pwhysall)
                                                 Appearances matter. 24 kB .imgs. - (Another Scott)
                                             For me it's a matter of habit. - (ChrisR)
                                         You are -NT - (broomberg) - (3)
                                             Only if you let it be that way. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                 pehaps its comfortable because you have a neck :0 -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                     More likely a pencil neck -NT - (broomberg)
                                         I'm so used to it I don't notice it. - (Andrew Grygus)
                                         Know the feeling. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                             Get ONE nice fitted shirt for those special occassions. - (jbrabeck)
                                             I'm with ya. - (Yendor)
                                         Your instincts are functioning normally, then.. Ties Kill - (Ashton) - (50)
                                             It is not exaggerated - (ben_tilly) - (49)
                                                 Try wearing a bra - (bionerd) - (48)
                                                     Well I don't insist that women wear bras... -NT - (ben_tilly)
                                                     So what kind of bra is required for business wear? - (tonytib) - (45)
                                                         You're just looking to improve your work fantasies. -NT - (ben_tilly) - (43)
                                                             Nope, just curious - (tonytib) - (42)
                                                                 Since you asked - (bionerd) - (41)
                                                                     Pah. - (admin) - (32)
                                                                         You iron? - (bionerd) - (31)
                                                                             irons are needed for tshirt transfers only -NT - (boxley)
                                                                             Have to ask - (jbrabeck) - (20)
                                                                                 Nobody did. - (bionerd) - (19)
                                                                                     You think none of us ever "knew" Catholic girls? -NT - (drewk) - (17)
                                                                                         Well, nobody knew me until I was 20. -NT - (bionerd) - (11)
                                                                                             *CRACKLE*That's a TMI violation in sector 4-b*POP* -NT - (inthane-chan) - (9)
                                                                                                 Double standard! Double standard! - (bionerd) - (8)
                                                                                                     No, there's nothing standard about the Box -NT - (drewk)
                                                                                                     we just didnt want to know about all that wasted time, - (boxley)
                                                                                                     So.... - (bepatient)
                                                                                                     I got tired of being offended by him a long time ago -NT - (ben_tilly)
                                                                                                     Re: Double standard! Biker bashing! - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                                                                         Yeah, I majored in animal husbandry . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                                                                                         On the contrary - (bionerd)
                                                                                                     Nope. - (inthane-chan)
                                                                                             Now I have Lyle Lovett running through my head... - (ben_tilly)
                                                                                         Irish Catholic girls....... ah.... the memories..... ;-) -NT - (n3jja) - (2)
                                                                                             Where are they now? Will they all take a bow! - (bepatient)
                                                                                             Agreed -NT - (broomberg)
                                                                                         Let's hear it for my German Catholic brethren. - (imqwerky) - (1)
                                                                                             Not like les quebecois - (jake123)
                                                                                     And I was a good Catholic boy... ;-) -NT - (jbrabeck)
                                                                             Every (work) day. - (Meerkat) - (8)
                                                                                 That's what I did when I had to - (ben_tilly)
                                                                                 spend a couple of pence on wrinkle free shirts - (boxley) - (3)
                                                                                     Yick - (broomberg)
                                                                                     Or buy that Downy wrinkle release spray - (bionerd) - (1)
                                                                                         But it doesn't do creases - (drewk)
                                                                                 I don't mind ironing a basketful. - (static) - (2)
                                                                                     Actually find it rather relaxing - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                                         *nod* - (static)
                                                                     Panty lines? Isn't that a reason for thongs? - (tonytib) - (7)
                                                                         Thongs! Dont you even get me started on thongs! - (bionerd) - (6)
                                                                             Off topic - (Silverlock)
                                                                             I'll ask - (tonytib) - (4)
                                                                                 Really big what? -NT - (jbrabeck)
                                                                                 Flip flops? I thought we were talking about bras. -NT - (drewk) - (2)
                                                                                     bras hold the flip flops -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                                         thats a sign of age! -NT - (bepatient)
                                                         Preferred by CIEIOS everywhere - - (Ashton)
                                                     If it'll get me a raise, hm. -NT - (Silverlock)
         Go, Laura, go! -NT - (a6l6e6x)

Walk like an Egyptian.
533 ms