IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Deviation or ratio score in the 180s?
If it was the "mental age ratio" that is in the 180s, then his adult IQ is likely to be in the 160s. If his percentile was 180s, then his ratio is about 2.2 or so.

Either way he's damned impressive. But then we knew that. :-)

[link|http://www.geocities.com/ultrahiiq/Deviation_IQs.html|http://www.geocities...eviation_IQs.html] gives a good explanation of the difference.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Ratio, probably.
Stanford-Binet test IIRC. He took it when he was 4.

IQ tests obviously show *something*, because kids like Duncan tend to do very well on them. However, they're demonstrably not the whole picture. Duncan can be maddeningly obtuse about some things. :-P
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
Expand Edited by admin Sept. 27, 2005, 07:06:14 PM EDT
New One thing "kids like Duncan" are "maddeningly obtuse" about
... is just how little IQ tests really measure.

Especially when they get older, and still think IQ is meaningful.
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
New IQ tests and the unmeasured cute parts -
(I'm pretty sure by now - that there's an EMQ (emotional manipulation quotient) which greatly modifies all the 'IQ' numbers, in actual kid-behavior observed. It is no scalar 'quantity' - nor do I think the scalar-'IQ' is other than a monstrosity ;-)

I believe that unmeasurable facet confounds parents, teachers - who now 'expect' whatever they imagine the stupid number meant .. they should.

What I'd bet $$ on is ~
(from everything yet read and from experience of the effects of IQ conditioning in my own early experiences - while noticing the manipulators and their assumptions. And mine, occasionally..)

Any kid, not brain damaged and with normal curiosity:

A) Read-to assiduously, material of increasing subtlety (and wide enough range to finally hit more than One Interest neuron)

B) A) being managed so artfully as to reinforce (not attenuate) any nascent desire for the kid to Read for Herself. Other encouragements to that end, via exactly-matched gifts, perfectly (!) timed. Heh.

C) Abetted by the suppression of the plethora [now!] of time-wasting, repetitive games as merely hone the reflexes of the moving brain - and demand no pondering of any sort.

Ditto - re suppression of 98.3% of the Tee Vee or DVD Sales-material of car chases and NARC warz, etc. as are again, more and mere passive visual stimulation -- with the ugly toxin of anti-social what-if?s constantly intermixed and 'sold'.

D) Exposure to 'labs' - people at Work, in a variety of fields + Art + Music == meaning the Whole Range, and not just 500 pop songs. (Lots of work, some $, this one.)

Minimizing at this period: bizness, or 'labs about eliciting as much personal aggrandizement as a one can scheme' - clearly bad for any nascent psyche. (Is this even arguable?)

Prediction:

Such a kid will 'Improve' in all subsequent IQ 'tests'; improve the most, if all of A though D are followed, in principle and reliably (but short of becoming a despised ritual - by seeming to be 'scheduled' / timed / measured results.)

Natch - I believe that the IQ number is a phantasm concocted by the insidious MBA-mind within each of us; the one that thinks spreadsheets are a suitable way to manage a Society .. ensuring that the Rich group form dynasties and the many poor, never 'group' ie organize very well == all in an orderly manner.
A rather constricted/contrived idea of what 'talent' to 'measure' and why (?)

But I do not expect my POV (but not only mine) to be widely shared anytime soon: with or without the ascension of the corporatocracy into various joint theo- hyphenations; especially in our scripted 24/7 Repo Emergency for the Foreseeable. Especially Not: Now, in other words.

Oh well. No disappointment - I never expected the (IQ + its many myths) Gordian knot to be dismantled in my lifetime. (Even without the Fear-people in charge of other 'dismantlings'.)

New They measure ability at certain kinds of mental processing
They don't measure ability at anything else, or motivation, or interpersonal skills or...

[link|http://www.eskimo.com/~miyaguch/grady/emptypromise.html|http://www.eskimo.co...emptypromise.html] is an interesting essay about some studies which found that IQ alone doesn't suffice for outstanding success.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
     IQ Test - (inthane-chan) - (70)
         What is this measured on? - (folkert) - (1)
             Honestly don't know. - (inthane-chan)
         I already know I'm an idiot - (tuberculosis) - (1)
             ICLRPD (new thread) - (Steve Lowe)
         IQ: 32 (under scale?) - (ben_tilly) - (8)
             Cool site Ben! - (GBert) - (1)
                 AFAIK, they do - (ben_tilly)
             I'll give it to him - (admin) - (5)
                 Deviation or ratio score in the 180s? - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                     Ratio, probably. - (admin) - (3)
                         One thing "kids like Duncan" are "maddeningly obtuse" about - (drewk) - (1)
                             IQ tests and the unmeasured cute parts - - (Ashton)
                         They measure ability at certain kinds of mental processing - (ben_tilly)
         I was a 29 - (imqwerky) - (1)
             Me too... - (hnick)
         43 -NT - (Yendor) - (6)
             Freak - (tuberculosis) - (5)
                 Nah - (Yendor)
                 Of course they are stupid - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                     Ah -- then its a conformance test - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                         "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority ..." -NT - (mmoffitt)
                         Not quite... - (ben_tilly)
         Somebody want to clue me in on part 3? - (drewk)
         Got a 22. - (static)
         86, in scale - (cforde)
         32 here. No cheating. *boggle* -NT - (Meerkat)
         Answering no questions: Score = 49. - (Another Scott) - (3)
             The only way to win is not to play... - (hnick) - (2)
                 Yer, right. :-) Try the other one (below). -NT - (Another Scott)
                 'War Games'__silly flik, but then it has lots of company now -NT - (Ashton)
         This one seems to work better. - (Another Scott) - (34)
             138 - (Yendor)
             142 - (folkert)
             144. [Edit:] Yup, time matters: Repeated it, got 185. - (CRConrad)
             163 - (admin) - (2)
                 Odd that - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                     NFC what that measures. - (admin)
             156 / 65 ... stupid test - (drewk) - (2)
                 Think light filters. -NT - (static) - (1)
                     So, Photography Experience=Intelligence. What a BS question! -NT - (CRConrad)
             Speed matters - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                 Indeed. - (Another Scott)
                 That would explain a lot - (tuberculosis)
             165. -NT - (static)
             fwiw: 139 on this one - (cforde)
             World Trivia - (cforde) - (19)
                 26/30 - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                     24 - same message -NT - (tuberculosis)
                     Ditto. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                 23/30 - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
                     Same -NT - (Yendor)
                 29. BTW, It's "Michelangelo" and "Garibaldi". - (CRConrad) - (2)
                     ICLRPD: "stupid test makers!" (new thread) - (Steve Lowe)
                     Same. -NT - (admin)
                 29 -NT - (Silverlock)
                 28/30. -NT - (Another Scott)
                 25/30 -NT - (imqwerky)
                 31/30 -NT - (Ashton) - (3)
                     smartass -NT - (Steve Lowe) - (2)
                         What, you never heard of bonus points for Ashtonese? -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                         I am soo smart - (Ashton)
                 30/30 - (GBert) - (3)
                     I *thought* they had that wrong! - (ben_tilly)
                     Well, that explains my score too then. :-P -NT - (admin)
                     I must confess, I did the same; got only 28 first time round - (CRConrad)
         Age is a factor - (gdaustin)
         Hmm. - (pwhysall) - (3)
             The highest score ever, I'd say. -NT - (Meerkat)
             A Golden Bawk Bawk Award.... ;-) -NT - (Another Scott)
             Exile to Elba? (crowded boat, though) -NT - (Ashton)

The LRPD is never wrong.
297 ms