IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I think this is a good time
to point out that when I lived in New Orleans 15 years ago, all the politicians were campaigning on "fixing the levees". It's not like it wasn't known... Check out this site [link|http://www.publichealth.hurricane.lsu.edu/|http://www.publichea...urricane.lsu.edu/] to see how excruciatingly accurate the detail is in the models that they have... The schools, the poor, potholes, etc. and any issue that could be used to buy votes seemed to always take precedence over "fixing the levees". If you believe that the reason this huricane response was bad was because of the "current administration", I think you are being rather simplistic and trying to politicize this tragedy. Why?

While I don't like the "current administration" I think you are referring to, I really don't like the former or current administrations that have run Louisana politics (and especially New Orleans)for the past few centuries. Napoleonic law and numerous other smokescreens, deals, Huey P. Long, etc... have kept Louisana in the backwoods of America for many years. The Big Easy has been viewed as "party central" by the rest of the country for most of the last century instead of a cultural music mecca and the largest and most vital port city in the US. Here in lies the rub. Everyone talked about "the worst case scenario" of a major hurricane on New Orleans. No one really prepared for it. It was just a political football. "If the red team were in charge, then we could stop hurricanes" and other bullshit hyperbole.

Jake, I think we are fighting against our human nature, not politics. It doesn't take FEMA or the National Guard or any organization with a collective IQ above 70 to determine that people who are stranded in a dome or on a roof in 95 degree heat with no food or fresh water just might be thirsty when you got there... Does the President of the United States have to tell his military officers that "they might be thirsty, bring water"? How about the Red Cross? I've been giving money to these people for years thinking they sort of knew how to handle these types of things... Maybe they weren't prepared for the scale? Maybe they thought New Orleans was "spared" and sent all the stuff to Biloxi and Mobile and Gulf Shores and all the other places (some former) first... I don't know, I'm rambling...

If anyone is going to New Orleans, "please take some water with you and maybe a few bottles of Jack Daniels for once they are hydrated".
Just a few thoughts,

Danno
New I'll tell my cousin-in-law that
He's going with some friends and other people as part of an Emergency Response Team sent from Texas. They are going by boat.

He's part of the Volunteer Fire Dept there as well as has helped out with other Emergency scenarios.

I hope he can help, him and the whole team.

Brenda

"Excel is to math what a Microwave Oven is to cooking!"
New Re: I'll tell my cousin-in-law that
I'll say hi to him personally, if I get a chance. I'm trying to volunteer with the Red Cross. Last night they said to send money, "they need heavy equipment, ships and cranes, not hands". I asked them if they changed their mind... They took my information and said to stand by.
Just a few thoughts,

Danno
New I hope you get to help
It seems to mean a lot to you.

His name is Rankin Ramsey.

Brenda

New Supplies and volunteers
Hey Danreck,

I just heard on the news that there are supplies being all packed up to ship to New Orleans, medical supplies, food, water, etc. Looks like they are mobilizing things now, maybe they just needed a little time to get it all organized.

Also, in addition to my cousin-in-law Rankin Ramsey, who is going there with a Fire/Rescue crew on a boat from Texas, I also learned that my cousin-in-law Joesph Peck is being deployed to New Orlean's. He's in the military police National Guard. He is to keep people from looting.

I'm amazed about my family stepping up like this, I didn't know these things about these particular people.

Brenda

Edit: I had meant to branch this off to the Water Cooler but I goofed. :( Sorry.

Expand Edited by Nightowl Sept. 1, 2005, 06:33:27 PM EDT
New Why don't you an mmoffit fly over and drop water bottles?

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:07:46 AM EDT
New I've got oil pressure problems at the moment. :0(
bcnu,
Mikem

It would seem, therefore, that the three human impulses embodied in religion are fear, conceit, and hatred. The purpose of religion, one might say, is to give an air of respectibility to these passions. -- Bertrand Russell
New I'm not talking about the fact that the levees failed
I'm talking about the fact that the rescue efforts post failure seem to be so badly badly organised... and that seems to be related to the fact that the usual coordinating agency (FEMA) has largely been gutted of its mandate, funding, and people by the current US administration.

Edit: I gotta stop being so fast on that button.

Anyway, the levees failing leaves plenty of blame to go around... and it's not particularly any better up here. It's like that guy from Holland said "over there they designed to defend against the 100 year event, but we've designed for the 10,000 year event" when he was speaking about their dike system vs. the one around New Orleans. It's a problem of vision, and it seems pretty widespread to NA... but the problem I'm talking about is specific to the aftermath and how well it's been organised. To be honest, and having seen both the CBC and the BBC version as well as the CNN version, to the outsider it looks like the poor people of the Gulf Coast and (even moreso) of New Orleans were left to literally twist in the wind.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
Expand Edited by jake123 Sept. 1, 2005, 07:27:09 PM EDT
     The worst natural disaster in US history - (Silverlock) - (74)
         I agree completely - (Nightowl)
         compared to the galveston hurricane or the okeechobee - (boxley) - (30)
             You probably have something to say I'd be interested in - (Silverlock) - (29)
                 feel free to not read me in my posts :-) -NT - (boxley) - (28)
                     I try - (Silverlock) - (27)
                         Come on man, if he did that . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (26)
                             I agree - (Nightowl)
                             I'd rather have the anchovy. -NT - (Silverlock)
                             So what is the correct term, Ashtonese or Ashlish? - (jb4) - (5)
                                 Bafflegarblish -NT - (broomberg)
                                 Dupe - ignore. -NT - (Nightowl)
                                 Ashtonish? - (Nightowl)
                                 Ashtonese. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                     I'd have to agree. - (Nightowl)
                             If I started writing in plain-vanilla instruction-manual - (Ashton) - (17)
                                 Like I said elsewhere - (Nightowl)
                                 But this one was very clear - (broomberg) - (9)
                                     As I've often said... - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                         Disagree - (broomberg) - (2)
                                             I think we just demonstrated the "lossy" part. :-) - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                 Experiences language teachers know it, too. - (static)
                                     Why are we who we are? - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                         You are way off about Box - (broomberg) - (1)
                                             As I said - (Nightowl)
                                     Gosh.. I'll have to revise, then - (Ashton) - (1)
                                         Thanks -NT - (broomberg)
                                 It depends on what you're trying to achieve. - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                     I Am Not a Number - (Ashton)
                                     Ashton's a playwright. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                         And sometimes he's like this . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                             Exactly right, Andrew - (jb4)
                                         Damn, Scott -- - (Ashton)
         I still think this is over-reacting. - (folkert) - (41)
             oil and petrochemical is the main deal, has been for a while - (boxley) - (1)
                 Yep - one wonders if this will be the spark - (tuberculosis)
             Read this. - (inthane-chan) - (18)
                 thin blue line erased in New Orleans, lord of the flies time -NT - (boxley) - (17)
                     All the smart people... - (ChrisR) - (16)
                         .. are destitute or invalids or hospitalized or ... :-( -NT - (Another Scott) - (7)
                             Desperate times... - (ChrisR) - (6)
                                 I'm wondering if this event might not set off some - (jake123) - (5)
                                     Not a chance - (hnick)
                                     Didn't in Los Angeles -NT - (Andrew Grygus)
                                     Third world country - (ChrisR)
                                     Naaah - (tuberculosis)
                                     Whatever else this massive boondoggle is explained-away with - (Ashton)
                         Are the poor who lack the resources to move - (tuberculosis) - (7)
                             no resources or will to evacuate and the last time people - (boxley) - (1)
                                 Yep - another article - (tuberculosis)
                             Re: Are the poor who lack the resources to move - (Nightowl) - (4)
                                 On the Titanic it was women and children first - (GBert) - (3)
                                     True, and that makes it worse yet - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                         Astute observation, O feathered One. -NT - (Ashton)
                                         Gives you pause don't it? - (GBert)
             Hey there, driver man... - (danreck) - (19)
                 Believe me, you have my compassion - (Nightowl) - (18)
                     What I can't understand... - (danreck) - (17)
                         It's only the poor. - (inthane-chan)
                         The National Guard is committed to helping - (tuberculosis) - (5)
                             Re: The National Guard is committed to helping - (altmann) - (4)
                                 21k NG troops allocated now by the feds (they pay em) - (boxley)
                                 Wow, really? - (drewk) - (2)
                                     The bigger problem might be the equipment anyways - (altmann) - (1)
                                         Heard in passing on NPR - yep. - (inthane-chan)
                         My opinion - (Nightowl)
                         That requires planning and forethought - (jake123) - (8)
                             I think this is a good time - (danreck) - (7)
                                 I'll tell my cousin-in-law that - (Nightowl) - (5)
                                     Re: I'll tell my cousin-in-law that - (danreck) - (4)
                                         I hope you get to help - (Nightowl) - (1)
                                             Supplies and volunteers - (Nightowl)
                                         Why don't you an mmoffit fly over and drop water bottles? -NT - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                             I've got oil pressure problems at the moment. :0( -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                 I'm not talking about the fact that the levees failed - (jake123)

Only a Stephen Hawking vs. Larry Flynt joust could compare in terms of universal significance.
489 ms