IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New .. are destitute or invalids or hospitalized or ... :-(
New Desperate times...
...bring out the best and worst in people. Guess I should be less judgemental. Each has their own story to tell. And their own level of frustration. I don't put that much creedance in the news reports, one way or the other. An individual is incompable of comprehending the swath of damage that's been done.

Wonders what the long term implications are in terms of both engineering feats and for a united citizenry. Too early to tell, but both seem to be taking a beating at the moment.
New I'm wondering if this event might not set off some
soul searching in the US culture-at-large. Are the arson and looting going on in New Orleans going to cause some reflection on what it means to be an American?

'Course, that depends somewhat on whether your media actually do any reflection of their own.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New Not a chance
For every disaster or riot, there has been attendant looting. It's a lot like soccer games in Europe. It just takes more to get the mopes off their asses.
New Didn't in Los Angeles
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Third world country
Heard the comments here and there about the area having a feel of a third world country, and that gets me thinking of why we have an image of ourselves as somehow superior to the people in the 3rd world? Take away the wealth, which is what the hurricane has done, and are we any better than any other set of people?

Well, the right would say that it is our industriousness and determination that sets us apart - both of which are fed by our freedom and faith. The left would say that it is our binding compassion and ability to work together that makes us different - both of which are fed by our social contract and our respect for each other. Truth, always being fickle to pin down, probably taps into both.

As for whether the media has the ability of reflection, that is easy to answer - none at all ("...which By a curious coincidence..."). In order to digest massive events we have to melodramatize things - for example, the war in Iraq seems to have come down to a question of opinion on what one thinks of Cindy Sheehan.
New Naaah
What you will be (and already are in some cases) seeing is right wing nut bloggers whining about how nobody is rushing to help us out even though we run around helping everyone else out. The entitlement thing.

What might cause a rethink is if sympathetic riots begin in other cities around the US.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:06:24 AM EDT
New Whatever else this massive boondoggle is explained-away with
for some of us, it is a mere vetting of the idea that, very few Murican consumer-sheep have the foggiest idea of the complexity of a modern techno-besotted, centralized-Corporate-distribution of monopolized lines of goods. And Today: OF most of THE NECESSARY BASIC COMMODITIES, too.
(Sure looks Good on spreadsheets with Bottom Lines, though. In fair weather.)

Much of fact and fiction re 'the Open Society (and its Enemies' \ufffd) fills the literature of the (first) War Century: but few I've met during half that century - knew how Anything worked, if they could even find the Manual in the packing about to be thrown away.

Well: Katrina is demonstrating How Easily It All Might Not Work.
No ez-electricity: no water, pumps, refrigeration, battery charging, comm ...

(I see: at least a hundred PhDs out of the plethora of owl-entrail readings; maybe just in the second year?) I wonder which of these will connect to the declining competence level of the 'average consumer', in about all things having to do with animal survival. Or how the ability to *walk* a few miles, fits in with 'fitness'.

'Common Sense' Hah! - it's neither. Now more than ever?

The worst natural disaster in US history - (Silverlock) - (74)
         I agree completely - (Nightowl)
         compared to the galveston hurricane or the okeechobee - (boxley) - (30)
             You probably have something to say I'd be interested in - (Silverlock) - (29)
                 feel free to not read me in my posts :-) -NT - (boxley) - (28)
                     I try - (Silverlock) - (27)
                         Come on man, if he did that . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (26)
                             I agree - (Nightowl)
                             I'd rather have the anchovy. -NT - (Silverlock)
                             So what is the correct term, Ashtonese or Ashlish? - (jb4) - (5)
                                 Bafflegarblish -NT - (broomberg)
                                 Dupe - ignore. -NT - (Nightowl)
                                 Ashtonish? - (Nightowl)
                                 Ashtonese. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                     I'd have to agree. - (Nightowl)
                             If I started writing in plain-vanilla instruction-manual - (Ashton) - (17)
                                 Like I said elsewhere - (Nightowl)
                                 But this one was very clear - (broomberg) - (9)
                                     As I've often said... - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                         Disagree - (broomberg) - (2)
                                             I think we just demonstrated the "lossy" part. :-) - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                 Experiences language teachers know it, too. - (static)
                                     Why are we who we are? - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                         You are way off about Box - (broomberg) - (1)
                                             As I said - (Nightowl)
                                     Gosh.. I'll have to revise, then - (Ashton) - (1)
                                         Thanks -NT - (broomberg)
                                 It depends on what you're trying to achieve. - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                     I Am Not a Number - (Ashton)
                                     Ashton's a playwright. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                         And sometimes he's like this . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                             Exactly right, Andrew - (jb4)
                                         Damn, Scott -- - (Ashton)
         I still think this is over-reacting. - (folkert) - (41)
             oil and petrochemical is the main deal, has been for a while - (boxley) - (1)
                 Yep - one wonders if this will be the spark - (tuberculosis)
             Read this. - (inthane-chan) - (18)
                 thin blue line erased in New Orleans, lord of the flies time -NT - (boxley) - (17)
                     All the smart people... - (ChrisR) - (16)
                         .. are destitute or invalids or hospitalized or ... :-( -NT - (Another Scott) - (7)
                             Desperate times... - (ChrisR) - (6)
                                 I'm wondering if this event might not set off some - (jake123) - (5)
                                     Not a chance - (hnick)
                                     Didn't in Los Angeles -NT - (Andrew Grygus)
                                     Third world country - (ChrisR)
                                     Naaah - (tuberculosis)
                                     Whatever else this massive boondoggle is explained-away with - (Ashton)
                         Are the poor who lack the resources to move - (tuberculosis) - (7)
                             no resources or will to evacuate and the last time people - (boxley) - (1)
                                 Yep - another article - (tuberculosis)
                             Re: Are the poor who lack the resources to move - (Nightowl) - (4)
                                 On the Titanic it was women and children first - (GBert) - (3)
                                     True, and that makes it worse yet - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                         Astute observation, O feathered One. -NT - (Ashton)
                                         Gives you pause don't it? - (GBert)
             Hey there, driver man... - (danreck) - (19)
                 Believe me, you have my compassion - (Nightowl) - (18)
                     What I can't understand... - (danreck) - (17)
                         It's only the poor. - (inthane-chan)
                         The National Guard is committed to helping - (tuberculosis) - (5)
                             Re: The National Guard is committed to helping - (altmann) - (4)
                                 21k NG troops allocated now by the feds (they pay em) - (boxley)
                                 Wow, really? - (drewk) - (2)
                                     The bigger problem might be the equipment anyways - (altmann) - (1)
                                         Heard in passing on NPR - yep. - (inthane-chan)
                         My opinion - (Nightowl)
                         That requires planning and forethought - (jake123) - (8)
                             I think this is a good time - (danreck) - (7)
                                 I'll tell my cousin-in-law that - (Nightowl) - (5)
                                     Re: I'll tell my cousin-in-law that - (danreck) - (4)
                                         I hope you get to help - (Nightowl) - (1)
                                             Supplies and volunteers - (Nightowl)
                                         Why don't you an mmoffit fly over and drop water bottles? -NT - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                             I've got oil pressure problems at the moment. :0( -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                 I'm not talking about the fact that the levees failed - (jake123)

In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
94 ms