IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New That was your problem, wasn't it?
The original fucking post that started this bloody thread -- that was by one mr William Oxley, and was all about his HAVING TROUBLE OPENING A FILLER PLUG _W_I_T_H_ _A_ _W_R_E_N_C_H_, was it not?

I mean, please correct the Hell outta me if I'm wrong...

Or re-read your own goddamn post, fer fuck's sake!

Sheesh.

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
New and your reply to weld a rod to the bolt was? :-)
Just call me Mr. Lynch \\

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 49 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Huh? WTF is that question supposed to mean???
It was a frigging SOLUTION to the problem of not being able to turn the plug with a wrench, of course. (i.e, just turn it with the welded-on piece of pipe in stead!) What the bleeding 'Ell did you think it was?

Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
New One could read it as 'weld a pipe onto the plug' if one ...
were not paying attention. Sometimes one can be too brief.

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Uhh... Yes - that is how one *should* read it.
'Coz that's what I *meant*! What did you think -- "weld a pipe onto the *wrench*"?!?

Naah, that's fecking useless -- the problem is, with a stuck plug (or bolt, or nut), the wrench will slip off when you apply enough force. (By slipping a fat-enough pipe over the shaft of it [the *wrench*, this time], for instance -- no welding necessary.)

Welded-on pipes, OTOH, never *slip* off their plugs/bolts/nuts.

New Um...
Welding on a pipe long enough for good leverage means that you would only be able to rotate it ~ 1/2 a turn. It would bang against the ground and/or the underside of the car.

I guess one could weld a short stub on the plug then slide a length of pipe over that for leverage - maybe that's what you meant?

But the idea of welding anything onto a plug on a differential while it's still on the car (there under the gas tank...) sounds like a rather risky thing to do to me. If the torch and/or arc slips a bit then whoops the plug could be welded into the boss. Then it would get really interesting...

Would you do something like that on your 1886 Volvo?

Cheers,
Scott.
New Gas tanks & welding . . .
The standard techinque is to fill the tank entirely full with gasoline so there is no air in it. Without air there can be no explosion, just a little fire, and that's what you're already playing with anyway. Welding directly to gas tanks is done this way (though it does take some balls to trust the physics).
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Watched it done on aluminum diesel tanks
The guy said he did it all the time, one of the few people that specializes in it on this side of the state.

It was scary as hell until we realized it was just as he said as we watched him heli-arc a 2 foot long crack in the tank. But then we still didn't come from behind the 1.5 foot thick reinforced concrete wall. If you know what I mean?

The thing is, the company couldn;t afford to have this truck out of service for long. We had put a crack patch on the tank, for a few weeks. The truck had gone through an inspection point, was flagged as "exempt from service" for the crack. Until it was fixed or replaced. Since the tank was a 2000 Gallon custom job, cost was very big to replace it and would be weeks before the replacement would come.

The weld was a 100% penetration weld (I don't know how he was able to keep it from melting through and leaking) and because of the diesel fuel cooling it, the weld was able to be ground down and polished to match the rest of the tank. You could only detect it if you really look, as the aluminum filler rod he used was a special oxygen free flux coated.

To this day, I WILL NOT WELD ON FULL FUEL TANKS. He said any fuel except Liquid Propane was doable. I can understand that.

[edit]
Oh yeah, this was when I was working as an "afternoon diesel mechanic/night truck fueler/saturday truck washer" for a logictics, storage and TL/LTL trucking firm here in Grand Rapids, called Van's Delivery.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
[image|http://www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg||||]
Expand Edited by folkert Aug. 7, 2005, 10:11:03 AM EDT
New ICLRPD
--
Steve
New Of course; through, not over; and of course again.
Scott de Katt observes:
Welding on a pipe long enough for good leverage means that you would only be able to rotate it ~ 1/2 a turn. It would bang against the ground and/or the underside of the car.
Yeah, obviously. That's why I said, "a piece of" pipe.

I guess one could weld a short stub on the plug then slide a length of pipe over that for leverage - maybe that's what you meant?
Exactly. Well, *almost* exactly -- I'd stick something *through* my piece of pipe, thereby utilising its full length, as opposed to at most half of it that I could use if I tried to slide something over it.

But the idea of welding anything onto a plug on a differential while it's still on the car (there under the gas tank...) sounds like a rather risky thing to do to me.
Feh!

If the torch and/or arc slips a bit then whoops the plug could be welded into the boss. Then it would get really interesting...
Bah -- that's what angle grinders are for. That's what we'd use to remove the pipe anyway... Not necessarily waiting until it was screwed all the way out.

Fuck, yeah; that's the model we -- or OK, my Dad (I used to suck at welding; still am no hotshot at it) -- did it to a few times. Then again, there's inches and inches, maybe as many as six, between the diff filler plug and the tank, which is behind, not above, the rear axle on that model. At least if you've lifted it up and put supports under the bodywork, as opposed to the rear axle; then the axle would hang down lower than the tank and give you acres of space to work in. So... Fuck, yeah.

New You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.
New Naah... You're welding facing *away from* the tank.
     5/8 inch square differential fill plug - (boxley) - (50)
         Most times that stuff doesn't need to be changed. - (Another Scott) - (31)
             I REFUSE!!! to pay to remove one bolt where I can reach it - (boxley) - (30)
                 Update? -NT - (Another Scott) - (29)
                     PB blaster, crowfoot 5/8ths wrench and a breaker bar - (boxley) - (28)
                         Good. Just the thing for you, here. 36 kB .img - (Another Scott) - (27)
                             I like these better - (boxley) - (26)
                                 Neat! Would be, um, challenging in the snow though. :-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                     hey I live in Atlanta, stay home both snow days -NT - (boxley)
                                 Sparrows - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                     only one hr before a 6hr recharge? feh -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                         2-3 hrs at 220 V. - (Another Scott)
                                 My cousin's got - (imric) - (20)
                                     That site is nuts! "700 HP from Suzuki Hyabusa"! =) -NT - (Another Scott) - (16)
                                         You made me look - (imric) - (1)
                                             Yeah, but it's nuts! - (Another Scott)
                                         Based on limited reading - (broomberg) - (13)
                                             I have a friend with a 700hp pickup - (boxley)
                                             A couple numbers for comparo - (Ashton) - (8)
                                                 Wadaymean "plebes", you effete SF Eurowimp . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (7)
                                                     Waal now, Mr. Cash n'carry on - - (Ashton) - (6)
                                                         Don't know nothin about Harleys . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                                                             Oooh - envy; that'd be when I had a mere 500 cc Matchless.. -NT - (Ashton) - (4)
                                                                 well I might settle, afford one of these - (boxley) - (3)
                                                                     Heh - a 00's *Whizzer* ! - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                                         difference between a small motor and a bicycle - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                             Pssst. Dot! You gettin' this down? -NT - (Another Scott)
                                             Short answer: He'll get to Heaven before you. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                 No way they can use it - (drewk)
                                                 the old 911 was a pedal car, might as well drive a vw bug -NT - (boxley)
                                     OT when did everyone switch from chains to belts and why? -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                                         Re: OT when did everyone switch from chains to belts and why - (Ashton) - (1)
                                             I think he's asking about motorcycle drive belts. ;-) - (Another Scott)
         Lightly... - (folkert)
         Penetrating oil, proper socket, and air impact wrench., - (Steve Lowe) - (2)
             Impacts are over-rated. :-/ #196868. -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 But... the new ones... - (folkert)
         Back in my day, we used to weld a piece of pipe onto them. -NT - (CRConrad) - (13)
             you didnt have wrenches? -NT - (boxley) - (12)
                 That was your problem, wasn't it? - (CRConrad) - (11)
                     and your reply to weld a rod to the bolt was? :-) -NT - (boxley) - (10)
                         Huh? WTF is that question supposed to mean??? - (CRConrad) - (9)
                             One could read it as 'weld a pipe onto the plug' if one ... - (Another Scott) - (8)
                                 Uhh... Yes - that is how one *should* read it. - (CRConrad) - (7)
                                     Um... - (Another Scott) - (6)
                                         Gas tanks & welding . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                             Watched it done on aluminum diesel tanks - (folkert)
                                         ICLRPD - (Steve Lowe)
                                         Of course; through, not over; and of course again. - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                             You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din. -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                 Naah... You're welding facing *away from* the tank. -NT - (CRConrad)

It doesn’t get tagged as pathological, even if using it means you ignore actual people.
84 ms