IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New OT when did everyone switch from chains to belts and why?
Just call me Mr. Lynch \\

Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free american and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 49 years. meep
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Re: OT when did everyone switch from chains to belts and why
Let me know the history! when you find out how all the lemmings sorta adopted it at once.

Recently dropped-in on such a discussion .. and the consequences of a broken Kevlar belt.

Belt's quieter. It's quite cheaper, too with the drive pulleys and such figured in. I think both factors were loved by management and PR.
(Note that some motorcycles, even a big Hog or two - have used belts for rear drive)

Where it bites you in ass - is every 90K-100K miles OR.. [and some forget this to their peril] every 6-8 years, depending on how lucky you feel and how much thrashing you've done.

Pisses me off.. my Saab had fussless chain; self-tensioning, checked - never needed changing. Newer Plutocrat-5 has the idgit belt.. BUT - it had just been changed when I bought it - I won't have to change it, so WTF.

Note too re belts - by the time you Need one, you are apt to have had to do the same labor anyway - to change the fucking water pump, and maybe a couple cam, crank oil seals on general principles. So it isn't an easy call.

bloody infernal machines..

New I think he's asking about motorcycle drive belts. ;-)
See, e.g., [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=56189|#56189] and Drew's reply.

Cheers,
Scott.
     5/8 inch square differential fill plug - (boxley) - (50)
         Most times that stuff doesn't need to be changed. - (Another Scott) - (31)
             I REFUSE!!! to pay to remove one bolt where I can reach it - (boxley) - (30)
                 Update? -NT - (Another Scott) - (29)
                     PB blaster, crowfoot 5/8ths wrench and a breaker bar - (boxley) - (28)
                         Good. Just the thing for you, here. 36 kB .img - (Another Scott) - (27)
                             I like these better - (boxley) - (26)
                                 Neat! Would be, um, challenging in the snow though. :-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                     hey I live in Atlanta, stay home both snow days -NT - (boxley)
                                 Sparrows - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                     only one hr before a 6hr recharge? feh -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                         2-3 hrs at 220 V. - (Another Scott)
                                 My cousin's got - (imric) - (20)
                                     That site is nuts! "700 HP from Suzuki Hyabusa"! =) -NT - (Another Scott) - (16)
                                         You made me look - (imric) - (1)
                                             Yeah, but it's nuts! - (Another Scott)
                                         Based on limited reading - (broomberg) - (13)
                                             I have a friend with a 700hp pickup - (boxley)
                                             A couple numbers for comparo - (Ashton) - (8)
                                                 Wadaymean "plebes", you effete SF Eurowimp . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (7)
                                                     Waal now, Mr. Cash n'carry on - - (Ashton) - (6)
                                                         Don't know nothin about Harleys . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                                                             Oooh - envy; that'd be when I had a mere 500 cc Matchless.. -NT - (Ashton) - (4)
                                                                 well I might settle, afford one of these - (boxley) - (3)
                                                                     Heh - a 00's *Whizzer* ! - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                                         difference between a small motor and a bicycle - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                             Pssst. Dot! You gettin' this down? -NT - (Another Scott)
                                             Short answer: He'll get to Heaven before you. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                 No way they can use it - (drewk)
                                                 the old 911 was a pedal car, might as well drive a vw bug -NT - (boxley)
                                     OT when did everyone switch from chains to belts and why? -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                                         Re: OT when did everyone switch from chains to belts and why - (Ashton) - (1)
                                             I think he's asking about motorcycle drive belts. ;-) - (Another Scott)
         Lightly... - (folkert)
         Penetrating oil, proper socket, and air impact wrench., - (Steve Lowe) - (2)
             Impacts are over-rated. :-/ #196868. -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 But... the new ones... - (folkert)
         Back in my day, we used to weld a piece of pipe onto them. -NT - (CRConrad) - (13)
             you didnt have wrenches? -NT - (boxley) - (12)
                 That was your problem, wasn't it? - (CRConrad) - (11)
                     and your reply to weld a rod to the bolt was? :-) -NT - (boxley) - (10)
                         Huh? WTF is that question supposed to mean??? - (CRConrad) - (9)
                             One could read it as 'weld a pipe onto the plug' if one ... - (Another Scott) - (8)
                                 Uhh... Yes - that is how one *should* read it. - (CRConrad) - (7)
                                     Um... - (Another Scott) - (6)
                                         Gas tanks & welding . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                             Watched it done on aluminum diesel tanks - (folkert)
                                         ICLRPD - (Steve Lowe)
                                         Of course; through, not over; and of course again. - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                             You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din. -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                 Naah... You're welding facing *away from* the tank. -NT - (CRConrad)

If you're going to have your life destroyed by a brutal economic recession, at least you shouldn't also have to use Windows XP.
59 ms