IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New We ALL have to show id and sign register - in Minnesota
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail ... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
New All we do is give a name and address.
If they match one in the book, you get to vote.

I'd prefer to require either your voter's registration card or ID.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New How do they prevent you from coming back multiple times?
Of giving your neighbor's name and address?
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail ... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
New Your name gets marked off the voter list with a highlighter.
And no, there's no way to prevent you voting for your neighbor other than being recognized by the poll workers again. That's why I think ID or a voter's registration card should be required.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Re: Your name gets marked off the voter list with a highligh
That is how it works here also. This is the type of system that makes voter fraud relativly easy in the US.

If you can get a fake ID, you can register to vote at different polling places under the different names and be nearly perfectly safe in breaking the law.

Jay
New Did you not have to give a signature as well?
Alex

In politics, what begins in fear usually ends in folly. -- Samuel Taylor Coleridge, poet (1772-1834)
New Yes.
The full procedure:

Put your name, street address, and signature on a poll ticket.

The ticket is compared against a computer-generated list of registered voters.

If it matches, the name is marked off on the list and you are given a ballot.

The poll ticket is signed by two people and secured.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New They do in Missouri
We had to show ID AND be in their book. Edit: Oh, and we had to sign, too.

We had about a 40 minute wait. The first part though, was a 15 minute
delay in voting, (no one was voting) while they did a midday pickup of
the ballots from the ballot box.

Then we were in and out in about 30 minutes. I screwed up at first, I was nervous to start with, and then this lady thought we were in the wrong voting place, cause my sample ballot we got from the internet was wrong, but we were in their register and the book and stuff, and we'd voted there in the primary, so we ignored her and talked to this other lady who said if we were on the list, we were in the right place. (Later also, when we got home, our voter registration card confirmed we had been at the right place. I hadn't been able to find that this morning, but John had his Voter ID. I also learned from my mom that some of the North County Internet stuff was wrong, according to the county paper. So it wasn't a screw-up on our part, which was good.

Anyway, so I was nervous, then I screwed up voting trying to get from one section of the ballot to another, and then they gave me a new ballot so I could start over. I got done, but I was so nervous by this point I was shaking, so I went to give her my ballot and I felt like I couldn't breathe, (and I actually went ahead of other people in the line without realizing it, to give her the ballot). I said I felt like I couldn't breathe, and they told her to go ahead and process my ballot and I could get air. So she pulled the tab off and I dropped it in the box and ran outside for air.

Man... what an experience. At least this time I didn't almost pass out in the line, they had better ventilation in the room, and it wasn't overly crowded, but I was starting to feel like there were too many people in one place near me.

Anyway. Happy Birthday Inthane, I hope you get your birthday wish!

Brenda

"It's not where a person stands in time of comfort and security, but rather where they stand in times of strife and controversy that determine true friends."
(Quote sent to me by a true friend, author unknown).
Expand Edited by Nightowl Nov. 2, 2004, 04:50:40 PM EST
New Well thank the Lord
Democracy itself were in the air, had you swooned.

"That miscreant ought to be suppressed." - Robt. E. Lee

-drl
New hate to see her in a fast food line
with more than one item on the menu :-)
regards,
daemon
that way too many Iraqis conceived of free society as little more than a mosh pit with grenades. ANDISHEH NOURAEE
New Nah, fast food lines are ok
It's anything that has winding lines of people on all sides. I tend to get claustrophobic around large crowds that press in on me.

Honestly I think if the one Election official hadn't started insisting we were in the wrong polling place, I would have been a lot less nervous.

Brenda
Nightowl >8#

"It's not where a person stands in time of comfort and security, but rather where they stand in times of strife and controversy that determine true friends."
(Quote sent to me by a true friend, author unknown).
     I just finished a first for me - (Silverlock) - (27)
         Hear ye, hear ye?? - (hnick) - (1)
             My site was under the control of a WWII vet - (Silverlock)
         How did you vote? - (pwhysall) - (11)
             Punch cards - (Silverlock) - (1)
                 Here's to your chad being undimpled or hanging or pregnant. -NT - (pwhysall)
             Paper and pencil - (Yendor)
             Touch screen. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 All the polling site I went past on way to drop off daughter - (jbrabeck)
             Absentee. - (inthane-chan)
             Scanner - (altmann)
             Fill-in-the-dots (SAT-style) - (jb4) - (1)
                 same here - (lincoln)
             Punch card - (drewk)
             Ink punch - (Andrew Grygus)
         Stood in line for about half an hour - (JayMehaffey) - (11)
             We ALL have to show id and sign register - in Minnesota -NT - (jbrabeck) - (10)
                 All we do is give a name and address. - (admin) - (9)
                     How do they prevent you from coming back multiple times? - (jbrabeck) - (4)
                         Your name gets marked off the voter list with a highlighter. - (admin) - (3)
                             Re: Your name gets marked off the voter list with a highligh - (JayMehaffey)
                             Did you not have to give a signature as well? -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                 Yes. - (admin)
                     They do in Missouri - (Nightowl) - (3)
                         Well thank the Lord - (deSitter) - (2)
                             hate to see her in a fast food line - (daemon) - (1)
                                 Nah, fast food lines are ok - (Nightowl)
         Absentee - Friday - (tuberculosis)

Travelling at the speed of light with the headlights on.
370 ms