IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 2 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Ben, did I get it right? (read all the way to the bottom)
Oh I'm always going to surprise you, probably

Here's a subtle cue. In chess a pawn is the least important piece on the board. Checkmate is the end of the game. The rule is that if you are able to deal with both, you tackle the immediate before the important.

Well, the reason I'm flabbergasted I guess, is you said go save the pawn, but if the pawn wasn't the thing he was able to save ... so I thought maybe the white house or pentagon would be the pawn to save...

Now given the WTC versus a photo op that Bush is actually at, which do you think is immediate and which is important? If you're having trouble, you can think about which is more immediate instead. Remembering that that which is directly in front of you is likely to be more immediate than that which is hundreds of miles away.

Well the photo op was more immediate, I'm guessing, because it was closer and right there, but the WTC would be more important.

Hmm chess always confused me even though I love the game... are you saying then that the pawn was "finish the job at hand" which was the kids reading and then go after the WTC issue next?

I'm trying Ben, honest...

As an aside, I've always been a fairly good chess player up till I have to finish the job, or make check or checkmate.. then I somehow seem to falter in what I'm doing. But I still love the game.

Edit: After more thought, I'm pretty sure that's what you mean, Ben. That the kids were something he could finish dealing with, and that the WTC wasn't going to be any more or less damaged if he left ten minutes earlier. So that would make the kids the pawn, and the WTC the checkmate issue. Is that what you were saying? Did I get it right?

After all, what was he going to be able to do to save the WTC? There wasn't anything he could do, and in the end, there wasn't much anyone could do to save it.

I think the thing that confused me much was "save the pawn" and then I was thinking of the pawn being the WTC and the checkmate being something more important, like the white house... now I see I wasn't thinking along the right line there.

Nightowl >8#

Edit: changed subject

"It's not where a person stands in time of comfort and security, but rather where they stand in times of strife and controversy that determine true friends."
(Quote sent to me by a true friend, author unknown).
Expand Edited by Nightowl Sept. 30, 2004, 08:41:34 PM EDT
Expand Edited by Nightowl Oct. 1, 2004, 12:23:59 PM EDT
New Yes
About the use of language: it is impossible to sharpen a pencil with a blunt axe. It is equally vain to try to do it with ten blunt axes instead. -- Edsger W. Dijkstra
New Allright!
Thanks so much for answering, I thought about it trying to get it right, for a long time. :)

Brenda

"It's not where a person stands in time of comfort and security, but rather where they stand in times of strife and controversy that determine true friends."
New Don't consider it an accomplishment - I expected more
About the use of language: it is impossible to sharpen a pencil with a blunt axe. It is equally vain to try to do it with ten blunt axes instead. -- Edsger W. Dijkstra
New Well I do anyway
Because chess for me has always been confusing, and anytime I get the chess concept somewhere whether it be the game or a scenario, I'm happy.

I really got confused because you said "save the pawn" and I didn't think of the children as a thing to save. But once I started thinking of save as do the job, I got it.

Brenda

super ROFL! Bush on O'Reilly - (daemon) - (47)
         He was also on Dr. Phil today - (Nightowl)
         I believe it all, actually - (GBert) - (45)
             Disagree on 911 - (daemon) - (2)
                 He wasn't speaking to them -- he was *listening* -NT - (GBert)
                 Wrong - (deSitter)
             Y'all have no idea whats inside AF One, do you? - (bepatient) - (41)
                 Even inside that classroom? - (GBert) - (40)
                     Excuse me? - (bepatient) - (39)
                         It was my understanding - (Nightowl) - (37)
                             Oh stop. - (bepatient) - (1)
                                 Re: Oh stop. - (Nightowl)
                             He wasn't reading to them - (ben_tilly) - (34)
                                 I do remember - (Nightowl) - (33)
                                     After plane #2. - (bepatient) - (32)
                                         Thanks for reminding me - (Nightowl) - (14)
                                             "Scared them"? - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                 Yeah, that's even better - (Nightowl)
                                             Silly question for you - (ben_tilly) - (11)
                                                 Not silly - (Nightowl) - (10)
                                                     If that really was Bush's reasoning - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                                         No, the person who should be leading the country - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                                                             Not to put too fine a point on it - (jake123)
                                                             Not "worthless", just unfairly distributed ;-p -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                                     Why are you so concerned about this? - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                                         Not really sure - (Nightowl) - (4)
                                                             Strange - (jake123) - (3)
                                                                 Well, it was mostly the imagery - (Nightowl)
                                                                 How about if you thought that they might try to target you? - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                                     Wasn't talking about Bush - (jake123)
                                         You're usually better with facts than this - (ben_tilly) - (16)
                                             Actually, I saw it on regular TV - (Nightowl) - (6)
                                                 Just when I think that you cannot flabbergast me again... - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                                                     Ben, did I get it right? (read all the way to the bottom) - (Nightowl) - (4)
                                                         Yes -NT - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                                             Allright! - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                                                 Don't consider it an accomplishment - I expected more -NT - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                                     Well I do anyway - (Nightowl)
                                             7 minutes. - (bepatient) - (8)
                                                 Would have made a difference - (hnick) - (2)
                                                     Um. Ok. - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                         I'm just lazy - (hnick)
                                                 7 minutes... More than enuf time... - (ChrisR) - (1)
                                                     Maybe thats what he was thinking. - (bepatient)
                                                 Why are you complaining to me? - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                     Apologies. - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                         That's odd - (Nightowl)
                         Here's a timeline - (GBert)

The biggest giveaway is they always have slightly too specific of an answer to literally every question.
60 ms