IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I believe it all, actually
So Bush says he wasn't tipped off ahead of time... I'm not too surprised; after all, they left him out of the loop on the morning of 9/11 itself! (IMHO he deserves a *lot* more recognition than he has gotten for how on that day he did not feel the impulse to "take charge" like some kind of Al Haig grasping at an unexpected chance at the wheel, but patiently waited, in that increasingly uncomfortable classroom situation, for his instructions to come through--a real trooper).

It's not surprising that Rove wasn't "tipped off" either -- last time he was on the *receiving* end of a tip-off was probably when his mother's obstetrician tipped him off that it might be a good time to start breathing now.

Giovanni
Have whatever values you have. That's what America is for.
You don't need George Bush for that.
New Disagree on 911
stuff happens in NYC then 2 more planes gone silent. Instead of rushing about shouting instructions to do what the fuck he waited for data, while waiting he realized those kids lives changed for ever while he was speaking to them so he finished what he was doing then left, and proceeded to fuck up the next 3 years.
thanx,
bill
New He wasn't speaking to them -- he was *listening*
New Wrong
I gave him same benefit of same doubt.

Bush is too stupid to rapidly process simple addition, much less attack on NYC. He blanked out like an epileptic in a disco parlor. He's a worthless, chickenshit, cringing, whining coward.

-drl
New Y'all have no idea whats inside AF One, do you?
President is better connected in that jet than any other place except Camp David and the White House.

Y'all act like getting on that plane took him out of the loop for the entire time.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Even inside that classroom?
Whatever else that half hour *in the classroom listening to the goat story* may show about Bush's character, one thing comes through loud and clear--that at the time, his own understanding of his place in the chain of command did not lead him to feel urgently responsible for assessing the events and organizing a response.

Giovanni
New Excuse me?
Man, did that Mike Moore kool-aid taste good?

He sat for 7 whole minutes. Then he went straight to the location that he could best take control of the situation in the shortest imaginable time.

AF One.

The rest of this stuff is "projection". It would have "looked better" yadda yadda.

If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

New It was my understanding
That he continued to read to the kids so that he wouldn't scare them by jumping up and bolting out. And what was he supposed to say to them that wouldn't have scared them? By finishing the story, he could just leave, I guess, without having to give them a complicated explanation?

Nightowl >8#

"It's not where a person stands in time of comfort and security, but rather where they stand in times of strife and controversy that determine true friends."
(Quote sent to me by a true friend, author unknown).
New Oh stop.
That implies the man be thoughful and not the antichrist that he obviously is.

7 minutes.

Start your watch.

We could have accomplished so much in those crucial first seven minutes.

(please tell me I don't need the sign...it should be >that< obvious.)

New Re: Oh stop.
That implies the man be thoughful and not the antichrist that he obviously is.

7 minutes.

Start your watch.

We could have accomplished so much in those crucial first seven minutes.

(please tell me I don't need the sign...it should be >that< obvious.)

Well, I think I realize you are being sarcastic. But even bad people can be thoughtful sometimes. :)

Nightowl >8#

"It's not where a person stands in time of comfort and security, but rather where they stand in times of strife and controversy that determine true friends."
New He wasn't reading to them
He was just sitting there. As you'd know if you watched 9/11.

Cheers,
Ben
About the use of language: it is impossible to sharpen a pencil with a blunt axe. It is equally vain to try to do it with ten blunt axes instead. -- Edsger W. Dijkstra
New I do remember
I watched all of the footage on 9/11, I just goofed it.

I know they were reading to him. Still, I thought the idea was to let them the finish the story.

I'm also trying to remember if the 7 minutes passed after the 1st plane hit or the second. I used to know all that by heart but I can't seem to recall right now.

Nightowl >8#

Edit: corrected punctuation.

Expand Edited by Nightowl Sept. 30, 2004, 12:16:30 PM EDT
New After plane #2.
Seven minutes.

See Ben has tasted the kool-aid too.

He should have been doing wind sprints as soon as that man whispered in his ear.

Thats what Mike would do. And we all wanna be like Mike.

Anything else is simply uncivilized.

New Thanks for reminding me
I agree, he should have left right away, but I also think that might have scared the kids more, unless they could have made an excuse that wouldn't have scared them... like something simple, "Sorry, the President is urgently needed elsewhere." or something, but surely not telling those kids about the planes. Even the word urgently might have scared them, I don't know.

maybe they were all so thrown into chaos they didn't know what the best move was? Hindsight is always 20/20.

Anyway, thanks for the info, like I said, I used to have it all memorized.

Brenda
Nightowl >8#

Edit: P.S. And if by tasting the koolaid you mean he saw Farhenheit 9/11, I haven't, because I didn't see it.

Expand Edited by Nightowl Sept. 30, 2004, 12:42:08 PM EDT
New "Scared them"?
eh?

What's wrong with "Sorry, children, but something extremely important has come up and I have to leave right away."?

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New Yeah, that's even better
I was trying to think of something better like that, but words like urgent kept coming up. I'm not thinking very fast today, lots on my mind, sorry. :)

That would have worked I think, just fine.

Brenda

New Silly question for you
You keep on being concerned about whether the kids got scared.

How many of those kids do you think found out what happened anyways, and got scared despite Bush trying to protect them?

Wondering,
Ben
About the use of language: it is impossible to sharpen a pencil with a blunt axe. It is equally vain to try to do it with ten blunt axes instead. -- Edsger W. Dijkstra
New Not silly
You keep on being concerned about whether the kids got scared.

How many of those kids do you think found out what happened anyways, and got scared despite Bush trying to protect them?

Wondering,

Oh I'm sure all of them got scared. I just meant, that maybe they should be told in a better manner than he might have managed, maybe with the teachers there telling them, or even bringing their parents to the school to tell them. Otherwise he might have left a room full of panicked children with the teachers trying to handle it.

Just my thoughts, that a parent might have been the better choice to explain it to their own child.

Nightowl >8#

New If that really was Bush's reasoning
Then I'd want him out of office even more than I do now.

Pardon me for pointing out the obvious, but nobody whose sense of perspective is that out of whack should be making life and death decisions for a country. But then again anybody who is unable to find a stock excuse for leaving a room would fail miserably in politics.

Regards,
Ben
New No, the person who should be leading the country
is someone like mmoffitt, who repeatedly stated that the current crop of "Western Civilization" is worthless and should be promptly sacrificed. Not a guy who is suspect of thinking about a roomful of children.
--

... a reference to Presidente Arbusto.
-- [link|http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/001417.html|Geoffrey K. Pullum]
New Not to put too fine a point on it
I think he should have headed out immediately. Considering the scale of what was happening, and the very real ways he could have cut it short without freaking them out, he should have gotten to work.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New Not "worthless", just unfairly distributed ;-p
bcnu,
Mikem

"The struggle for the emancipation of the working class is not between races or religions. It is one of class against class. Every trace of anti-Semitism, or any form of race hatred cannot assist the oppressed, it can on the contrary only aid the exploiters. Workers of all nationality, religion or creed must stand together against the common enemy: capitalism."
-Ted Grant
New Why are you so concerned about this?
Seems ridiculous to me.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New Not really sure
But maybe it's because I, as an adult, was scared more than I can imagine by the events of 9/11 so maybe I figure the kids would have been scared even more than that...

It's not so much of a concern, as we were speculating why Bush waited 7 minutes before leaving, and I guessed maybe it was to not upset the kids routine and scare them.

I don't know, maybe he even used that 7 minutes to think and wasn't really listening to the kids by that point?

Nightowl >8#

New Strange
I wasn't particularly scared by the WTC stuff. Pissed off, yes, but not scared.

'Course, if I'd been in the immediate environs, that would've been different.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New Well, it was mostly the imagery
How to explain this...

First of all, I have Panic Anxiety, which tends to exaggerate fears even though I work hard at preventing it.

also, the imagery is what does it. I see the image of the plane hitting the building, and I saw it all day and for weeks. I then have this image stuck in my head, along with maybe whatever others, such as the building collapsing.

So then the plane becomes the fear, so every time I hear a plane, I jump, and then when I go to bed I "see a plane" crashing into my house.

It took a long time, but I got past it. This is a reason I don't see movies with vivid imagery or unexpected scenes that make you jump, (for example, horror movies or thriller ones), and why I watch CSI in the daytime with John describing in a play by play the parts I absolutely can not watch.

Hope that helps explain it.

Brenda

New How about if you thought that they might try to target you?
The zig-zag path that Bush took through the rest of the day indicates that he was at least somewhat concerned about personal risk.

Cheers,
Ben
New Wasn't talking about Bush
was talking about Owl.

For Bush to be concerned about that strikes me as completely reasonable.
New You're usually better with facts than this
I corrected Brenda on what the President was doing, and that suddenly becomes me drinking the kool-aid? WTF?

My reference to that film is as the only place where she's likely to have actually seen what Bush was and wasn't doing. I said nothing about what he should have done. Merely what he did do.

But for the record, when I heard that the first plane hit, I thought it was an accident. Until I saw how big it was, then I just sat in shock. When I heard about the second one I knew it was deliberate. Had I been in the President's position, I probably would have not reacted to the first. To the second my response would have been to say, "Pardon me, but something important just came up, I have to attend to this" and I'd have walked out. I'm not saying that that is what should have happened, but it would have been my response.

And to set Brenda's mind at rest, I believe that nobody present would have been scared to witness that - after all the President has a lot of important business to attend to that most of us are blissfully unaware of. And the class already knew that something important happened - after all an aide just came in and whispered in the President's ear.

Incidentally to set Bill's mind at rest, a well-known principle in chess says to deal with the immediate threat before the important one if possible. If you're about to lose a pawn right now, and checkmate is threatened in 2 moves, save the pawn and defend against checkmate next move. It is possible that a man who was used to making important decisions under pressure could have internalized this advice enough to instinctively do it even in a crisis. I don't happen to believe that this kind of thinking was the cause of Bush's actions, but you don't see me condemning Bush for this item either. (Note: No matter how much I dislike people, I try to treat them fairly.)

Cheers,
Ben
New Actually, I saw it on regular TV
They aired footage or something of him being with the kids. I never saw the movie, and don't intend to.

But for the record, when I heard that the first plane hit, I thought it was an accident. Until I saw how big it was, then I just sat in shock. When I heard about the second one I knew it was deliberate. Had I been in the President's position, I probably would have not reacted to the first. To the second my response would have been to say, "Pardon me, but something important just came up, I have to attend to this" and I'd have walked out. I'm not saying that that is what should have happened, but it would have been my response.

And I agree, if he had said something like you and Peter stated, no one would have been unduly scared. I can't remember what he actually did say, does anyone remember that?

Incidentally to set Bill's mind at rest, a well-known principle in chess says to deal with the immediate threat before the important one if possible. If you're about to lose a pawn right now, and checkmate is threatened in 2 moves, save the pawn and defend against checkmate next move. It is possible that a man who was used to making important decisions under pressure could have internalized this advice enough to instinctively do it even in a crisis. I don't happen to believe that this kind of thinking was the cause of Bush's actions, but you don't see me condemning Bush for this item either. (Note: No matter how much I dislike people, I try to treat them fairly.)

I'm trying to apply this statement to the situation. Was the WTC the pawn? Can you help me get this, it sounds fascinating.

Brenda

New Just when I think that you cannot flabbergast me again...
I'm trying to apply this statement to the situation. Was the WTC the pawn? Can you help me get this, it sounds fascinating.

Here's a subtle cue. In chess a pawn is the least important piece on the board. Checkmate is the end of the game. The rule is that if you are able to deal with both, you tackle the immediate before the important.

Now given the WTC versus a photo op that Bush is actually at, which do you think is immediate and which is important? If you're having trouble, you can think about which is more immediate instead. Remembering that that which is directly in front of you is likely to be more immediate than that which is hundreds of miles away.

Regards,
Ben
New Ben, did I get it right? (read all the way to the bottom)
Oh I'm always going to surprise you, probably

Here's a subtle cue. In chess a pawn is the least important piece on the board. Checkmate is the end of the game. The rule is that if you are able to deal with both, you tackle the immediate before the important.

Well, the reason I'm flabbergasted I guess, is you said go save the pawn, but if the pawn wasn't the thing he was able to save ... so I thought maybe the white house or pentagon would be the pawn to save...

Now given the WTC versus a photo op that Bush is actually at, which do you think is immediate and which is important? If you're having trouble, you can think about which is more immediate instead. Remembering that that which is directly in front of you is likely to be more immediate than that which is hundreds of miles away.

Well the photo op was more immediate, I'm guessing, because it was closer and right there, but the WTC would be more important.

Hmm chess always confused me even though I love the game... are you saying then that the pawn was "finish the job at hand" which was the kids reading and then go after the WTC issue next?

I'm trying Ben, honest...

As an aside, I've always been a fairly good chess player up till I have to finish the job, or make check or checkmate.. then I somehow seem to falter in what I'm doing. But I still love the game.

Edit: After more thought, I'm pretty sure that's what you mean, Ben. That the kids were something he could finish dealing with, and that the WTC wasn't going to be any more or less damaged if he left ten minutes earlier. So that would make the kids the pawn, and the WTC the checkmate issue. Is that what you were saying? Did I get it right?

After all, what was he going to be able to do to save the WTC? There wasn't anything he could do, and in the end, there wasn't much anyone could do to save it.

I think the thing that confused me much was "save the pawn" and then I was thinking of the pawn being the WTC and the checkmate being something more important, like the white house... now I see I wasn't thinking along the right line there.

Nightowl >8#

Edit: changed subject

Expand Edited by Nightowl Sept. 30, 2004, 08:41:34 PM EDT
Expand Edited by Nightowl Oct. 1, 2004, 12:23:59 PM EDT
New Yes
New Allright!
Thanks so much for answering, I thought about it trying to get it right, for a long time. :)

Brenda

New Don't consider it an accomplishment - I expected more
New Well I do anyway
Because chess for me has always been confusing, and anytime I get the chess concept somewhere whether it be the game or a scenario, I'm happy.

I really got confused because you said "save the pawn" and I didn't think of the children as a thing to save. But once I started thinking of save as do the job, I got it.

Brenda

New 7 minutes.
9 tops.

Lots and lots of Monday morning quarterbacking about 7 minutes.

He should've done cartwheels out of the office!

He should've know after the first crash! (which is probably accurate and heads should've rolled at FAA) (and even though reports had it as a small craft crash at first...I was listening live at that time)

7 minutes.

Boy, we could've caught Bin Laden red handed if he would have got out in 3 instead of 7.

And I retract the kool-aid statement. You were there and terribly close. For us listening on radio, it was not apparent until the second plane. I sat in my car for the same 7 minutes...mine realizing just what had occurred, grieving for those I knew to be dead and structuing what I was going to have to do in the next several hours to guard the safety of the company travelers that I was responsible for.

Expand Edited by bepatient Sept. 30, 2004, 03:01:58 PM EDT
New Would have made a difference
when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor...
New Um. Ok.
Thems some impressive u-boats ;-)

New I'm just lazy
I assumed that the antiphonal "Never mind, he's on a roll" would be inferred.
Animal House reference?
Never mind...
New 7 minutes... More than enuf time...
...to start planning for the overthrow of Saddam as the proper response.
New Maybe thats what he was thinking.
Oh wait, if we listen to the critics he is incapable of thought.

Never mind.

New Why are you complaining to me?
I said what I would do. I also made it clear that I'm not criticizing Bush for having done something different.

So why am I getting criticism from you on this? And how was I close to the kool-aid in your opinion?

And yes, I was closer than you, a lot closer. The people sorting body parts relaxed in the same lounge that I did. That's plenty close for me.

Ben
New Apologies.
That entire line of questioning just annoys me...sorry.

Moore's koolaid, in my opinion, is the only reason anyone even wonders about those 7 minutes. You feel differently, respected.

New That's odd
Moore's koolaid, in my opinion, is the only reason anyone even wonders about those 7 minutes. You feel differently, respected.

I wondered about them the day it happened and it was aired on TV. I guess the movie must question it more intensely then, because I never worried about them, just wondered about them, and I never saw the movie, nor will I.

Ah well, we can't get the 7 minutes back so we move forward. :)

Nightowl >8#

New Here's a timeline
Here's a timeline -- draw your own conclusions.
[link|http://www.cooperativeresearch.org/timeline.jsp?timeline=complete_911_timeline&day_of_911=bush|http://www.cooperati...e&day_of_911=bush]

"Supposedly no one notifies Bush about the [first] crash until his motorcade reaches its destination, even though there's a highly secure phone in his vehicle, and others in the motorcade are being notified." [Independent Commission Report 6/17/04]

Then he seems to have been at the Booker school for about 40 minutes (8:55 to 9:35) and in the classroom itself for roughly 15 of those minutes, about 10 of them after the 2nd crash ("the nation is under attack").

When eventually the tide of what-to-do organized panic did catch up to him, he was indeed frantically whisked away.

It was a wild morning; could he have done better? Either way--I'm just saying he did not act like someone who feels in charge.

Giovanni
     super ROFL! Bush on O'Reilly - (daemon) - (47)
         He was also on Dr. Phil today - (Nightowl)
         I believe it all, actually - (GBert) - (45)
             Disagree on 911 - (daemon) - (2)
                 He wasn't speaking to them -- he was *listening* -NT - (GBert)
                 Wrong - (deSitter)
             Y'all have no idea whats inside AF One, do you? - (bepatient) - (41)
                 Even inside that classroom? - (GBert) - (40)
                     Excuse me? - (bepatient) - (39)
                         It was my understanding - (Nightowl) - (37)
                             Oh stop. - (bepatient) - (1)
                                 Re: Oh stop. - (Nightowl)
                             He wasn't reading to them - (ben_tilly) - (34)
                                 I do remember - (Nightowl) - (33)
                                     After plane #2. - (bepatient) - (32)
                                         Thanks for reminding me - (Nightowl) - (14)
                                             "Scared them"? - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                 Yeah, that's even better - (Nightowl)
                                             Silly question for you - (ben_tilly) - (11)
                                                 Not silly - (Nightowl) - (10)
                                                     If that really was Bush's reasoning - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                                         No, the person who should be leading the country - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                                                             Not to put too fine a point on it - (jake123)
                                                             Not "worthless", just unfairly distributed ;-p -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                                     Why are you so concerned about this? - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                                         Not really sure - (Nightowl) - (4)
                                                             Strange - (jake123) - (3)
                                                                 Well, it was mostly the imagery - (Nightowl)
                                                                 How about if you thought that they might try to target you? - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                                     Wasn't talking about Bush - (jake123)
                                         You're usually better with facts than this - (ben_tilly) - (16)
                                             Actually, I saw it on regular TV - (Nightowl) - (6)
                                                 Just when I think that you cannot flabbergast me again... - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                                                     Ben, did I get it right? (read all the way to the bottom) - (Nightowl) - (4)
                                                         Yes -NT - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                                             Allright! - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                                                 Don't consider it an accomplishment - I expected more -NT - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                                     Well I do anyway - (Nightowl)
                                             7 minutes. - (bepatient) - (8)
                                                 Would have made a difference - (hnick) - (2)
                                                     Um. Ok. - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                         I'm just lazy - (hnick)
                                                 7 minutes... More than enuf time... - (ChrisR) - (1)
                                                     Maybe thats what he was thinking. - (bepatient)
                                                 Why are you complaining to me? - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                     Apologies. - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                         That's odd - (Nightowl)
                         Here's a timeline - (GBert)

They're the very devil to clean out of the radiator.
478 ms