IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Not not fine
I wouldn't. You *do* have other options available, as hard as they might be. That doesn't decrease Microsoft's monopoly position - but it does mean that *you* don't *have* to buy their product(s).

Ad, I'm more than surprised. Are you trumpetting the myth that there is no Micros~1 tax? That I can buy a naked-PC from the manufacturer of my choice? (That would have been Gateway until they stopped offering Athlon processors, BTW...) Or that I can buy a PC pre-loaded with the OS(es) and application(s, or lack thereof) of my choice?
jb4
(Resistance is not futile...)
Expand Edited by jb4 Nov. 6, 2001, 12:58:02 PM EST
New Not^3 fine
Are you trumpetting the myth that there is no Micros~1 tax?

Nope.

That I can buy a naked-PC from the manufacturer of my choice? (That would have been Gateway until they stopped offering Athlon processors, BTW...) Or that I can buy a PC pre-loaded with the OS(es) and application(s, or lack thereof) of my choice?

Not at *all*.

You've misunderstood what a "monopoly" is. Microsoft is a monopoly not because you can't pick *any* PC of your choice. Even if they weren't a monpoly, that doesn't mean you *could* pick the PC of your choice with the OS of your choice. VA linux, for instance, refused to preload BSD. Gateway might not ship anything but RedHat, so Karsten, wouldn't be able to buy from them, etc.

But you *can* buy *a* PC, without Windows. You *can* replace Windows (though that's still paying the tax, its not requiring any other investement, etc).

You stated there was NO competition, nothing else, and that's not true, either. Linux, FreeBSD, and whatever OS/2 is this week *are* competitors. Their lack of market penetration is what (helps) define Microsoft AS a monopoly.

Addison
New I am so glad that you have explained that the Marketing
Model is perfect and everything is operating like a well-Oiled Machine. Nothing has gone wrong.. gone wrong.. gone

It's just all those ignorant non-Economists who *imagine* that there just might be something .... which *has*.. gone wrong.. gone wrong.. with that Model of Reality\ufffd. (It couldn't be possible for The Model Itself to have severe errors within. Of course - everyone Knows That!)

Still.. Oh Well, perhaps those Celestial Market Forces shall

eventually

in a decade or two or three?

demonstrate the validity of this wondrous Model of Reality.

We'll be able to celebrate the bankruptcy of Billy IV in June of 2119, thus vindicating the existence of Market Forces. After all. We must all learn to Be Patient, I see, in order to fully appreciate the Wonderfulness of these Concepts.

OTOH if we'd prefer Not to live in that logical-fantasy numerical universe, and prefer one with non-robotic humans present too (and actually living a life)

Wake me...
     To the conservative element here - (Silverlock) - (99)
         Listen for the silence. - (Brandioch) - (1)
             chirp, chirp................ chirp, chirp............. -NT - (n3jja)
         He also would not answer any "technical" questions. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Once again, the UK explains our government, incest, and M$: - (Ashton)
         Errfff - (wharris2) - (1)
             Ahem, some of us did. -NT -NT - (Simon_Jester)
         Huh? - (bepatient) - (73)
             Seconded - (wharris2)
             "completely unforseen events" - (Brandioch) - (70)
                 Don't think so... - (bepatient) - (68)
                     Sooner? - (Brandioch) - (59)
                         Before the election, even. - (addison) - (58)
                             Re: Before the election, even. - (bepatient)
                             I can. - (jb4) - (1)
                                 No, you can't. - (addison)
                             Refresh my memory. - (Brandioch) - (54)
                                 Yep. - (addison) - (53)
                                     Some refreshment. - (addison) - (52)
                                         Are we using different definitions? - (Brandioch) - (51)
                                             I have no idea what you're using. - (addison) - (50)
                                                 Whatever. - (Brandioch) - (48)
                                                     Re: Whatever. - (addison) - (47)
                                                         Again, whatever. - (Brandioch) - (46)
                                                             Earth to Brandioch...... - (addison) - (45)
                                                                 Again, whatever. - (Brandioch) - (44)
                                                                     Hrm. - (addison) - (43)
                                                                         Of course its his fault... - (bepatient) - (42)
                                                                             Well... - (imric) - (41)
                                                                                 Re: Well... - (addison) - (29)
                                                                                     So - why are the States now 'ignorable'? You didn't answer. - (imric) - (28)
                                                                                         Yes, I did.. and if you want to count tally sheets, - (addison) - (27)
                                                                                             Tally sheets? Bush has no control over the AG? - (imric) - (26)
                                                                                                 Have you been sleepposting? - (addison) - (25)
                                                                                                     Zzxzzzzzz.... - (imric) - (9)
                                                                                                         Re: Zzxzzzzzz.... - (addison) - (8)
                                                                                                             Woulda, coulda, shoulda. - (imric) - (7)
                                                                                                                 Re: Woulda, coulda, shoulda. - (addison) - (6)
                                                                                                                     Minor logic problem.... - (Simon_Jester)
                                                                                                                     Contrast? - (imric) - (4)
                                                                                                                         <Evil Grin> - (Simon_Jester) - (3)
                                                                                                                             It is a Cruel World. -NT - (Ashton)
                                                                                                                             Bingo! - (jb4) - (1)
                                                                                                                                 I really don't know... - (Simon_Jester)
                                                                                                     The big difference.... - (admin) - (14)
                                                                                                         That's true, but... - (addison) - (13)
                                                                                                             I think you just like to argue. - (admin) - (12)
                                                                                                                 Yeah, ban him for being so insensitively diruptive! - (CRConrad)
                                                                                                                 Its possible.. - (addison) - (10)
                                                                                                                     Re: Its possible.. - (admin) - (5)
                                                                                                                         Er. No. - (addison) - (4)
                                                                                                                             Re: Er. No. - (admin) - (3)
                                                                                                                                 Really? - (addison) - (2)
                                                                                                                                     Re: Really? - (admin) - (1)
                                                                                                                                         Oi. - (pwhysall)
                                                                                                                     There may be one huge difference between then and now.... - (Simon_Jester) - (3)
                                                                                                                         If that's true, - (addison) - (2)
                                                                                                                             But we do know... - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                                                                                                                                 More quotes. - (Another Scott)
                                                                                 *SNORT* - (Silverlock)
                                                                                 Brett Glass predictions. - (bepatient) - (5)
                                                                                     ROFL - (imric) - (4)
                                                                                         Re: ROFL - (addison) - (3)
                                                                                             Bigotry? - (imric) - (2)
                                                                                                 Bigotry. - (addison)
                                                                                                 umm err - (boxley)
                                                                                 They aren't - (Steve Lowe) - (3)
                                                                                     One other scenario. - (Brandioch)
                                                                                     Oh, I really do live by my 'Tips for Living'. - (imric) - (1)
                                                                                         In that case - (Steve Lowe)
                                                 Say WHAT? - (jb4)
                     How is the market going to do "what it's supposed to do"... - (jb4) - (7)
                         Umm... - (bepatient) - (6)
                             OK, fine... - (jb4) - (5)
                                 Nope, not fine. - (addison) - (4)
                                     Glad... - (bepatient)
                                     Not not fine - (jb4) - (2)
                                         Not^3 fine - (addison) - (1)
                                             I am so glad that you have explained that the Marketing - (Ashton)
                 Evil Parody... - (Simon_Jester)
             I never even said that much in his defense. - (marlowe)
         Re: To the conservative element here - (Squidley) - (6)
             What a charming idea.. I do hope someone has expressed it - (Ashton) - (5)
                 Why, thank you! - (Squidley) - (2)
                     Wag-Ed - (wharris2)
                     cuba libras launched from both nostrils ROFL!! - (boxley)
                 How progressive! - (marlowe) - (1)
                     Re: How progressive! - (jb4)
         why do you think gore's choice would be any different? - (boxley) - (10)
             Shit, bill, that's easy - (jb4) - (9)
                 didnt read the post :) -NT - (boxley) - (8)
                     Read it...doesn't matter - (jb4) - (7)
                         microsoft was targeted because they wouldnt make payoffs - (boxley) - (6)
                             Possible. - (Brandioch) - (3)
                                 I wouldn't call it extremely well... - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                                     Should have qualified that a bit. - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                         Agreed on both counts. :) -NT - (inthane-chan)
                             Re: microsoft was targeted because they wouldnt make payoffs - (jb4) - (1)
                                 Yes Ashole is aptly named and sh*t fer brains - (boxley)
         Ashhole: Minister of Doublespeak - (jb4)

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
278 ms