IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Nah.
It can't go down the same slippery slope. It'll go down a slippery slope, but it's not the same one as Slashdot.

Thing is, you see, there's some fundamental differences between K5 and Slashdot

Stuff That Happens On K5 But Not On Slashdot

1. Open story queue. Yes, the queue is broken. But the simple fact is that the audience writes and votes on the material up for discussion.

2. Mojo, not karma. Mojo works in a fundamentally different way, being ranged over 0..5, rather than the -whatever..+whatever that karma is. Everyone on K5 is within 5 mojo points of each other.

3. No anonymous posting. Probably the single biggest factor in increasing the S/N ratio was the death of Anonymous Hero. The mere fact of having to provide a valid email address and having to activate the account from that email address means that trolls and spammers have to work quite hard to get lots of accounts.

4. No illusions about The Management. The K5 Cabal (which I wouldn't be a part of, [link|http://www.kuro5hin.org/?op=special;page=random#whoelse|oh no][1], even if it did exist) have made it quite clear on numerous occasions that trolls, spammers and co WILL be deleted. I know that spammer accounts have been deleted unilaterally. Slashdot umm and ahh about "censorship", but when it comes down to it, generally let the morons do their thing.

So, in the light of that (aside - it's a measure of how good Mozilla is becoming that I've had the confidence to compose this entire screed in the textbox, rather than an external editor), I'd say that K5 will not drown in spam, penis birds and trolls, but rather in boring stories about US politics. But hey, that's what the teeming masses seem to want.

[1] I know there have been some witterings about "The K5 Cabal" and people claiming to be part of it. Basically, if you ain't on that list, you ain't in the cabal, which doesn't exist.

Peter
Earl Grey, Hot Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
Expand Edited by pwhysall Oct. 30, 2001, 12:27:32 AM EST
New Yah. You're right.
I was a bit hasty. The story moderation is clearly superior to SlashDot and the other advantages you list are also correct. It's not the same slippery slope it will go down as SlashDot, but one not too dissimilar.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New The ultimate test is to see how they
....handle an anti-OOP troll :-)

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

MS shill spreading FUD on Kuro5hin - (marlowe) - (33)
         K5 has gotten too popular. - (static) - (15)
             And one that many Usenet groups went down before that - (ben_tilly) - (10)
                 Yes, I was also thinking something along those lines. -NT - (static)
                 Have to admit - (kmself) - (7)
                     True enough. - (static)
                     An admission of my own - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                         No hard feelings - (rusty) - (4)
                             Decisions, decisions - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                 Are you on the high side of the chasm? - (wharris2) - (2)
                                     A more readable version - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                         Much better -NT - (wharris2)
                 Leading to an unpleasant dilemna. - (marlowe)
             Nah. - (pwhysall) - (3)
                 Yah. You're right. - (static) - (2)
                     The ultimate test is to see how they - (tablizer) - (1)
                         Okay, then. I'll be watching. -NT - (static)
         Gee, that's not a conclusion you just jumped to, is it? - (kmself) - (14)
             Conclusions jumped to long ago... - (rusty) - (9)
                 Hey, glad to see ya :) - (pwhysall) - (3)
                     Re: Hey, glad to see ya :) - (rusty) - (2)
                         Re: Hey, glad to see ya :) - (pwhysall) - (1)
                             Don't forget INTERCAL - (admin)
                 Smells like ad hominem. - (marlowe) - (4)
                     Speaking of sniping at the messenger... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                         An Ad Hominem for an Ad Hominem - (rusty)
                     I love archaeology. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                         Ah.. fossils. - (Ashton)
             No, that's an observation of an overall pattern. - (marlowe) - (2)
                 Reading this... - (pwhysall)
                 Where to begin - (kmself)
             Nope kinda like bens answer, went and wasnt amused/enthused -NT - (boxley)
         I read the article in question, I am not a MS$ fan - (boxley) - (1)
             Missing the forest for the trees. - (marlowe)