1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Big Lies debunked: all the Iraq lies so far
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/iraq.html|Did I miss any?]
----------------------------------------------------------------
DEAL WITH IT.
Never mind all the mass graves. Where's the nerve gas?
I helped depose Saddam. Did you?
When the facts speak for themselves, only a fool insists on having a debate.
The future is leaving the station, the US is at the throttle, and the Left isn't on board.
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfire...arlowe/index.html]
New Um.... how about Iraq is 6 months away from Nuclear Weapons?
New I'd say misses across the board
I have not the time or interest to check all of them. But what I did check was wrong.

Just look at the first one. Your 'debunking' misses the question entirly. Yes, lots of countries sold Iraq military weapons, and yes, Russia was Iraq's primary vendor for conventional military armaments. But that was never the issue. Who gave Saddam WMDs? Who supported him when they where used against Iraqi citizens? Who put Saddam in power in the first place?

Or you attempts to connect Iraq to terrorist groups. It's not terrorists in general, it's one specific group that matters. One specific group that the US government said had ties to Saddam's government. Except there is no evidence that is true and quite a bit that it's not.

Jay
New You're having trouble hitting any in the first place
Straw Man #1 (as in, Marlowe is arguing against MARLOWE's OWN POSITION and NOT that of any anti-war protesters): "It's America's fault for having supported Saddam in the first place!"

The Real Argument: The specific individuals (Rumsfeld, Perle, Cheney, Wolfowitz, etc) who lead the call to war by citing Saddam's evil actions are the same individuals who actively and physically supported the same evil actions (and this support was protested against by the same left liberal peaceniks protesting the current war). We now know that this support extended further than was believed: 60 United States agents were on the ground in the Iran-Iraq war and in the Iraqi planning rooms directing Iraqi chemical weapons fire against Iranian cities. It is hypocritical for the same evil people who encouraged and personally participated in Saddam's evilness to later condemn Saddam's actions without admitting their own part in it. Since they are not willing to make this admission and instead actively lie about their past by suggesting it never happened, their new claims about Iraq are probably not trustworthy. Further, since they have no problem with evil dictators and have given little suggestion of the make-up of a new Iraqi government, there is reason to doubt their commitment to Iraqi democracy and their ability to quickly end hostilities by creating a new government accepted by the people. Since Mission Accomplished, we've seen a banning of all municipal elections and there's still no government.

So, specific issues:
* These bastards can't be trusted, so they might be lying about Iraq's WMD - Winner: Doves
* They don't really support democracy - Winner: Doves
* They're too dumb to set up a government and finish the war in <2mo - Winner: Doves

Issue: "We should have let the UN handle it!"
Since the UN's establishment, the traditionally accepted (that is, conservative) state of affairs is for the UN to mediate international affairs. This is especially true as regards a treaty where the UN is one party, a country is the second party, and another country wanting to invade that country is no party to the treaty.
The oil-for-food program turned into an unregulated free-for-all, with every country (including the United States) subverting it to lap up as much cheap oil as possible and not caring how many of the profits went to Saddam's military. This was known by both hawks and doves; generally, the hawk solution was to cut off the oil and food while the dove solution was to end the blockade on food and medicine and to donate food.
Inspectors were sent into Iraq and given about a month and a half and no intelligence to search the county. The United States actively hampered the search by throwing up diplomatic roadblocks, giving bad intelligence, and witholding claimed good intelligence (which it now turns out the US never had). The inspectors came back, after destroying lots of conventional missiles, saying that Iraq was holding stuff back from them and they'd find it with more time. Instead, the United States invaded and found out that Iraq did not actually have any nuclear, chemical, or biological weapons or production programs.

Specific issues:
* The 1991 treaty needs to be enforced - Winner: Hawks
* The oil-for-food program is funding Iraq's military - Winner: Both
* The UN inspectors would sufficiently restrict Iraq's WMD capabilities without the need for an invasion - Winner: Doves

Marlowe Claim: It's Not About The Oil

Marlowe cites himself for this, making it another case of Marlowe versus Reality. Marlowe's piece cites Operation Desert Storm and concludes that if you invade another country to seize its oil, you will incur a high cost as the US invades you in response and places you under an embargo; thereforce, another nation whose power exceedes the US's by the factor which the US's exceeded Iraq's in 1991 has by now invaded the United States, destroyed its armed forces, bombed its larger cities, and put an embargo in place.

In reality we see US forces in Iraq rush to seize the oil fields while ignoring suspected WMD sites, known WMD scientists, etc. We see Iraq's top nuclear scientist lobby US officials for a month before they consider investigating him. We also see huge contracts being granted, without bidding, to Bush's largest campaign contributors, leaving three likely choices: It Was All About Oil, It Was All About Getting Bush Elected in 2004, or a little of both.

Straw Man #2: "Saddam didn't support terrorism!"

The Real Argument: "Saddam didn't support al Qaeda!". Given that Iraq and al Qaeda were at war and OBL had a hell of a time figuring out which side he hated more before deciding on bloodlines and telling his terrorists to fight against the United States first and overthrow the Baathists when they were done, this is a valid argument. Meanwhile, terrorists linked to al Qaeda are fighting against Fatah in Lebanon.

Specific issues:
* We need to fight al Qaeda in Afghanistan and elsewhere - Winner: Doves
* There is no connection between Iraq and the September 11 attacks - Winner: Doves
* If Ansar is a threat we can blow 'em up without touching Saddam - Winner: Doves

Issue: "The Iraqi people hate us as foreign invaders!"

US forces are getting shot at every day, so somebody hates them. Chances are they're people, and given the location, they're probably Iraqi. Rumsfeld is on record saying that this is all random acts of violence committed by former prisoners released from Saddam's dungeons and killing random people because they're, well, they're just plain evil or else Saddam would never have thrown them in jail.

There are three major tribal/political groups in Iraq. The Shiites generally like the US for getting rid of Saddam, but are concerned about the delay of democracy (which would grant them a dictatorship). The Sunnis were favoured by Saddam and most of his loyalists are from/in this group. The Kurds love the US for holding to their word this time and getting rid of Saddam and Ansar.

Specific issues:
* There will be a temporary armed resistance we should prepare for - Winner: Doves
* We need to quickly establish services so the people don't get uppity - Winner: Indeterminate
* All Iraqis love the invasion! - Winner: Doves
* Nobody's shooting at US forces - Winner: Doves

Marlowe Claim: Rachel Corrie has anything to do with Iraq

Reality: No she doesn't.

Marlowe Claim: Since one of the BBC's witnesses is mistaken about whether blanks were used in PFC Lynch's rescue, everything the Pentagon said about Lynch was fully accurate.

Reality: From numerous reports, Lynch's wounds and those of the other passengers in her vehicle are consistent with what would be received from a bad traffic accident, say from being forced off the road or swerving to avoid fire. Lynch was not shot. Lynch was not stabbed. Lynch did not empty her gun's magazine into oncoming forces after receiving half an armoury to the gut. All this proves is that the Pentagon is a bunch of liars, which is not earth-shattering but should not be tolerated.

Marlowe Claim: An Article Which Does Not Cite The BBC Automatically Proves All BBC Reporting False

Reality: There was good reporting and bad reporting in Iraq, mostly the latter kind. Some of the most atrocious reporting was from Americans who needlessly praised the troops and administration as if they were themselves a part of the invasion. Every organization had good and bad reports and reporters, and you had to take them one at a time.

Marlowe Claim: There Are No Humanitarian Problems In Iraq And Never Were

Reality: Quick work by USAID, USMil, and NGOs fixed many things. The power grid is still shaky, sewer systems are out in a few places, and there are regions wwhere food and/or water are scarce. The US was going into a place that already was a humanitarian disaster. It is not going to be fixed instantly or even after a few months, but will require long-term commitment.

Marlowe Claim: Since Hospitals Are Now Well Supplied By NGOs, There Never Was Any Need For Outside Organizations Like NGOs To Supply Them

I can't explain this one.

Issue: The Museum Looting

Facts so far:
* Initial reports were extremely exaggerated
* Current reports count 6,000 items missing, many returned items damaged
* The Iraqi National Library was totally destroyed

Marlowe Claim: Since Few Civilians Were Killed In One Battle, Fewer Than 1,000 Civilians Were Killed In The Whole War

Reality: Conservative estimates are about 3,000 civilian and 8,000 military dead for the war. Liberal estimates start at about 8,000 civilian dead. In any case, it was a non-zero number.

Marlowe Claim: Bush Didn't Lie Because.... Hey, Look Over There!

Reality: Bush said he didn't want the smoking gun to be a mushroom cloud. Cheney said that Iraq HAD nukes already. Bush said that an IAEA report said that Iraq would have nukes within six months from last September, and the IAEA said he was lying. Bush said in his State of the Union address that Iraq had sought to purchase uranium from Niger, citing a document that the Vice President's office had known was a forgery for over a year. Rumsfeld said we know exactly where the weapons are. Now this last Wednesday, Bush personally admitted that the United States had NO INTELLIGENCE WHATSOEVER on Iraq's NBC/WMD programs that did not predate Operation Desert Fox, the 1998 bombing of all of Iraq's suspected NBC/WMD facilities. Instead, the Office of Special Plans took the worst-case scenario from this previous information, assumed that nothing was disrupted in 1998, and then assumed that Iraq was running full production for the past five years, and then exaggerated that since it wasn't shocking enough.

Marlowe Claim: Some People Who Didn't Support the 1998 Bombing Are Dumbasses, Therefore All People Who Don't Support The Invasion Are Dumbasses

Reality: Marlowe is a dumbass.

Marlowe Claim: Pwhysall Is A Dumbass, Therefore The Invasion Is Correct

Reality: UNR1441 does not allow any third party to go off and invade Iraq, but threatens to hold a meeting in which the UN may decide to invade. Such a meeting never happened. The United States promised to abide by the resolution. The US lied.

Marlowe Claim: We Won The War

Okay, then, bring the troops home.
New Yep, you've got straw men all over the board.
And I've got the truth. I've got what you guys were actually arguing (originally) and I've got the rebuttals. Evidently they were effective rebuttals, since you've been forced to finesse your positions. When I get around to it, I'll savage your new variations. But first it was necessary to point out the game you were playing.

Your chief strategegy here is to make allegations that you don't bother to back up with any cites, and pretend that these constitute facts for an argument. In other words, precisely what I'm exposing in the first place. If you can't do that, add meaningless qualifications to weasel out of the corner you've painted yourslef into. For example, the notion that it had to be al Qaeda specifically to count as a casus belli is sheer nonsense. Or else you use all the category errors and fallacies of ambiguity there are, as in: "US forces are getting shot at every day, so somebody hates them. Chances are they're people, and given the location, they're probably Iraqi..."

I suppose I should add categories for all these. And I'll link to you for examples.

Here's your last chance. Come up with at least semi-reputable cites for your new round of accusations. Make sure it's sources you can defend, because attacking the source is perfectly legit if there no corroboration for the source. And don't try to use IndyMedia, unless you want to look like a complete fool. (I'll show no mercy to you or IndyMedia if you do.) I'll give you a few days, and if you don't comply, this latest barrage of crap from you gets linked and quoted on the page. Special note will be made of your failure to back anything up.

I know you people have no shame, and are unable to climb down at this point, hence you throw one barrage of lies and fallacies after another. But you really should try to find the intellectual courage to admit you're wrong, because the pressure on you will not relent. And no matter how many times or how many ways you try to weasel out, we won't let you escape.
DEAL WITH IT.
The future is leaving the station, the US is at the throttle, and the Left isn't on board.
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfire...arlowe/index.html]
New Here's the big one
[link|http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2003/07/02/national1203EDT0568.DTL|Saddam Hussein is no longer a threat to the United States because we removed him, but he was a threat. Such a threat that my predecessor, using the same intelligence in 1998, ordered a bombing of Iraq. I mean, so -- he was a threat.]
- George Walker Bush, July 2, 2003

And [link|http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/news/6232524.htm|here's some evidence to back up Bush's statement], and [link|http://www.truthout.org/docs_03/printer_062603B.shtml|a CIA vet's statements on the intelligence breakdown].
New Well, that's pretty weak.
Unless you seriously believe Saddam would have changed his stripes between circa 1995 and 2003 when he had never done so before. Never mind that we know [link|http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/06/09/1055010927084.html|he hasn't changed his stripes at all in similar matters]. How would we classify this one? A variant of that old standby of the willfully stupid: slothful induction?

That would be almsot as silly as when you guys argue that terrorists don't count if they're not al Qaeda. Or even when [link|http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/04/29/sprj.irq.terrorist.capture/|they probably are].

I'll give you two more days to try to redeem yourself. And if you don't retract or explain away this implication that Saddam should be presumed to have transformed into a pussycat in *every* particular unless we can prove he is what he's always been in each particular, I'm going to have to add that to the page.

I originally intended the page to focus on misrepresentations of fact. But given your characteristic fallback, I suppose I should extend it to cover gross errors of logic as well.
DEAL WITH IT.
New Wow.
The jingo kid complains about logic. It is, to quote another iwetheyer, to laugh.
-----------------------------------------
[link|http://www.talion.com/questionw.html|?W]
Where were you in 72?
New Ring the tocsin: Nintendo Alert! Eloi threaten elders again
New I shall redeem myself in your own style, marlowe
You suck. Pttttthb! =P

Now back to my own style, how about you admitting that:

• Terrorists who are not members of al Qaeda are not members of the al Qaeda organization

• Other people's positions are not necessarily my own

• Bush claimed Saddam was building nukes, Cheney said Saddam had already "reconstituted" nukes, and we have so far found no evidence of nuke production or ownership in Iraq

• The "war on terror" is not truly a war against terrorism or else Bush would have gone after the low-hanging fruit of Kahanists in Brooklyn and the IRA supporters in Boston, not to mention have had his father strung up and shot on the first day, and would not have sucked up to Yasser Arafat for the first year and a half of the "war on terror" or protected Qaeda-allied Chechen terrorists in Georgia

• If the war in Iraq has nothing to do with WMDs and is just about Saddam being an evil dictator who massacred his own people, Bush should be removed from office for gross incompetence and mismanagement of military resources in occupying such a large part of the army in a campaign that only minimally effects the US's strategic interests while North Korea is building nukes for use against the United States and its allies

New You have one day left to begin offering documented facts...
and to stop throwing up illogic, paranoia and cheap abuse.
DEAL WITH IT.
New Or what?
If you're going to make threats, it helps to mention the punishment if compliance is not achieved.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New Spoken like a true parent :)
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Heh
Nothing like having kids to get a solid grasp on the threaten/bribe model of behaviour modification.

Still, if Marlowe is going to threaten people, he should mention the penalty, or else he just comes off as a blowhard know-naught.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New And that would be different how?
New Why don't we see if Marlowe can answer that question?
New IIRC, he's NEVER answered a direct question.
When they took the Fourth Amendment, I was quiet because I didn't deal drugs.
When they took the Fifth Amendment, I was quiet because I was innocent.
When they took the Second Amendment, I was quiet because I didn't own a gun.
Now they've taken the First Amendment, and I can't say anything about it.
New Which pretty much shows how much credence one should
lend his positions^wthreats^wcheap whines.

imho, of course.
New Don't you mean cheep whines?
As in birdlike or birdbrained?

Of course cheap whine goes good with cheap cheese and crackers.
When they took the Fourth Amendment, I was quiet because I didn't deal drugs.
When they took the Fifth Amendment, I was quiet because I was innocent.
When they took the Second Amendment, I was quiet because I didn't own a gun.
Now they've taken the First Amendment, and I can't say anything about it.
New Unfair.
Why.. marlowe feels the pain of the suffering ones everywhere in the world - regardless of race, creed, color or political opinion. Compassion is his middle-name. I know this because he's said so! (And I'm sure he's really sorry about Duvallier, Pinochet, Montt, Marcos, Pahlavi, Pol Pot, Rius, Abacha, Mobutu, Botha and those other fellows we supported so's they could represent our interests and all).

Well, OK - scratch that last part: if it isn't the same political opinion as those nice folks he worships, who are arranging for a Rilly-American Century or Two\ufffd, then the fucking raghead can boil in [oil] until s/he says Uncle (Sam). Seems fair enough. Who else is the very model of a perfectly harmonious society, with liberty and justice for all?

But since he possesses that which we mere local observers can never achieve - the Certainty of his Moral Righteousness, encrypted direct from the Top - we'll just have to go along with his program.. or miss that boat which is supposed to be sailing without us.

Which also seems fair enough. I prefer the train or ox-cart, and there are some you just wouldn't want to travel with whatever the mode, even if they paid you off too, (maybe even more than the Turks and Spain?)
Coalition of the Willful and Well-paid - nice ring, hasn't it?
New Time's up.
DEAL WITH IT.
New Good of you to drop in
periodically. Complacency is everyone's bugaboo - and you provide a livid example of the sort of mindset whose momentum may well prevail, if adults choose to remain flaccid and disinterested long enough.

The conceit of the True Believer has been diagrammed by everyone, Shakespeare to Eric Hoffer - yet, comfort is such a powerful drug that we relax vigilance, tolerate odious cant (now a daily part of every bizness conversation) and .. fall asleep repeatedly.

Keep up the good work, marlowe! You're the Best of the sorts of examples everyone needs not to forget. The Nintendo-Eloi are everywhere; fortunately though, popularity has nothing to do with sanity or maturity.

Ashton
New Yawn.
Shades of Newt's little electioneering booklet on "how to confound the democratic process via cut-phrases of bafflegab". Works disgustingly well in an ignorant disinterested electorate, though not on adults.

Sophomoric vehemence and xenophobia - those persuaded by that are already yours and Rev Foulwell's lawful prey.

0 for 0.

Moral certainty is always a sign of cultural inferiority. The more uncivilized the man, the surer he is that he knows precisely what is right and what is wrong. All human progress, even in morals, has been the work of men who have doubted the current moral values, not of men who have whooped them up and tried to enforce them. The truly civilized man is always skeptical and tolerant, in this field as in all others. His culture is based on "I am not too sure."

--H.L. Mencken via Rand
New Yeah, we all love your bafflegab and xenophobia.
Thanks for giving us another small sample.
DEAL WITH IT.
New Re: Yeah, we all love your bafflegab and xenophobia.
"We"? Have you acquired a tapeworm, marlowe?

Among the regular participants here Ashton is, so far as I can tell, almost universally esteemed, and while "bafflegab" might seem an apt term to a mind too blunt to absorb A's more delphic pronouncements, "xenophobia" in this context is just silly--of a piece with most of your ill-informed bombast, really.
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New I don't think that word means what you think it means
Inconceivable.

No, wait - Xenophobia.

Irrational or morbid fear of foreigners.

----
Sometime you the windshield, sometime you the bug...
New Re: I don't think that word means what you think it means
I thought it meant an irrational fear of cheesy US late night fantasy series.
New Current Museum Counts
[link|http://famulus.msnbc.com/FamulusIntl/ap07-08-135312.asp?reg=MIDEAST|MSNBC]
''There is a steady progress in defining the loss of artifacts in museums in Baghdad and Mosul,'' MacGregor told a news conference Tuesday.
However, deteriorating security and lack of electricity are hampering the work of drawing up inventories of what is missing, experts said.
Looters smashed many artifacts, making it difficult for the 44 staffers at the Baghdad museum to reassemble them and determine what has been stolen and what is damaged, said Nawal al-Mutawalli, director of Iraq's museums.
She said the list of items missing from storage rooms of Baghdad's museum alone now stands at 13,000. In addition, 47,000 pieces are missing from the museum's exhibition hall, several of them major masterpieces.

Happened to stumble across this today, figured you would want to see the latest count so you can correct you page.

Still not a final count. That number will go up as further documentation is done and go down as items thought missing are discovered or looted items returned.

Jay
New Reuters: capture of Ba'ath regime proceeds apace
[link|http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=578&ncid=578&e=2&u=/nm/20030709/ts_nm/iraq_usa_capture_dc|Keep on trucking]

Excerpt:

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - U.S. forces have captured former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein (news - web sites)'s interior minister and another wanted top official surrendered, the U.S. military said on Wednesday.

Both men were on a U.S. list of most wanted officials linked to the ousted leader's government.

The military said in a statement Mahmoud Diyab al-Ahmed, former interior minister, was captured by coalition forces on Tuesday. It did not say where he was detained.

Ahmed was number 29 and seven of spades on the U.S. "deck of cards" of 55 most wanted Iraqis given to U.S. troops in Iraq (news - web sites).

Also on Tuesday, Mizban Khidr Hadi gave himself up to U.S. forces in Baghdad, the statement said. Hadi, a senior member of the Baath Party and the Revolutionary Command Council, was number 23 on the list and the nine of hearts.

The military said the incidents were not related.

The detentions bring the number of people on the list known to have surrendered or been captured to 34.

I say:

Gotta catch `em all! No, seriously. We really should. But we're getting there.

DEAL WITH IT.
     Big Lies debunked: all the Iraq lies so far - (marlowe) - (28)
         Um.... how about Iraq is 6 months away from Nuclear Weapons? -NT - (Simon_Jester)
         I'd say misses across the board - (JayMehaffey)
         You're having trouble hitting any in the first place - (tangaroa) - (18)
             Yep, you've got straw men all over the board. - (marlowe) - (17)
                 Here's the big one - (tangaroa) - (16)
                     Well, that's pretty weak. - (marlowe) - (15)
                         Wow. - (Silverlock)
                         Ring the tocsin: Nintendo Alert! Eloi threaten elders again -NT - (Ashton)
                         I shall redeem myself in your own style, marlowe - (tangaroa) - (10)
                             You have one day left to begin offering documented facts... - (marlowe) - (9)
                                 Or what? - (jake123) - (8)
                                     Spoken like a true parent :) -NT - (bepatient) - (7)
                                         Heh - (jake123) - (6)
                                             And that would be different how? -NT - (inthane-chan) - (5)
                                                 Why don't we see if Marlowe can answer that question? -NT - (jake123) - (4)
                                                     IIRC, he's NEVER answered a direct question. -NT - (jbrabeck) - (3)
                                                         Which pretty much shows how much credence one should - (jake123) - (2)
                                                             Don't you mean cheep whines? - (jbrabeck) - (1)
                                                                 Unfair. - (Ashton)
                         Time's up. -NT - (marlowe) - (1)
                             Good of you to drop in - (Ashton)
         Yawn. - (Ashton) - (4)
             Yeah, we all love your bafflegab and xenophobia. - (marlowe) - (3)
                 Re: Yeah, we all love your bafflegab and xenophobia. - (rcareaga)
                 I don't think that word means what you think it means - (mhuber) - (1)
                     Re: I don't think that word means what you think it means - (jake123)
         Current Museum Counts - (JayMehaffey)
         Reuters: capture of Ba'ath regime proceeds apace - (marlowe)

That's the kind of brilliant thinking that propelled you onto public access.
181 ms