IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Flabbergasted
There are two issues that we need to separate here.
  1. Too many jobs have bullshit requirements.
  2. I strongly dislike liars.

The first seems to be the one that you are railing against. If someone really is capable of doing the job, then let them do it. You don't care how they got there. I agree that it is a problem, but it is not an issue that I care about as much as the second one

The second is the one which concerns me. I find that a person who is willing to make big lies in one place - for instance claiming degrees not possessed - is generally willing to have a string of big and little lies elsewhere. If you go digging, this is generally going to be a problem.

Connected to that is the fact that I would prefer to discourage lying, and having people who are inclined to lie see other people be caught lying with no consequences doesn't do that. It is far, far nicer to operate in an environment of trust, and maintain the foundation for that by defending the community standard behind it.

Therefore if it was up to me to make the decision, I would support throwing the book at her.

For the record, despite being at one point only 3 months shy of a PhD in math, knowing that I know more math than most math PhDs, and having more publications than most mathematicians, you won't see me claim to be a PhD. I may be able to do any job which requires a PhD, but I don't have one and I won't claim otherwise.

Cheers,
Ben

PS And yes, I am one of those neanderthals who detest grade inflation. There is nothing wrong with telling someone that they didn't do well on a course, and the world doesn't owe you what you didn't get, no matter how silly it might be.
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New Does this dress make me look fat?
Actually, I'm not railing against anything here, although my correspondent, the young People's Prosecutor, does put my hackles up a bit. Regarding the woman in question, I have no idea whether she's a jewel in her salaried position or the scum of the earth who leaves colleagues and subordinates shaking their heads and wondering how on earth she achieved her present eminence (very much like someone in my organization, and I mustn't go there or I will start railing). Since I don't know, I am inclined neither to make excuses for her--I merely set forth some possible circumstances behind the original lack of a degree that she has sought to address in this pathetic manner--nor to throw books.

As to lying...this is probably in general to be deplored, but I'm going to have to come down on the side of moral relativism here. Sometimes The Truth ain't worth nurturing a Kenneth Starr.

cordially,
"Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist."
New There is moral relativism and moral relativism (new thread)
Created as new thread #98936 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=98936|There is moral relativism and moral relativism]
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
     tilting at diploma mills - (rcareaga) - (50)
         ah yes.. - (deSitter)
         Flabbergasted - (ben_tilly) - (2)
             Does this dress make me look fat? - (rcareaga) - (1)
                 There is moral relativism and moral relativism (new thread) - (ben_tilly)
         Comments - (kmself) - (1)
             Re: Comments - (rcareaga)
         My instincts are similar.. - (Ashton) - (2)
             Re: My instincts are similar.. - (rcareaga) - (1)
                 <chuckle> On Maugham... - (Another Scott)
         Having read your post and the following replies, - (boxley) - (4)
             For me it comes down to whether you can trust people or not. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 trust v. vengeance v. indiscriminate justice - (rcareaga)
                 Recent resume scandal in DC - (Another Scott)
             Re: Having read your post and the following replies, - (pwhysall)
         Nail them - (broomberg) - (1)
             unintended consequences - (rcareaga)
         Its Fraud - (tuberculosis) - (3)
             certitude! - (rcareaga) - (1)
                 Uh huh - (tuberculosis)
             actually I will have an MIT degree - (boxley)
         Dr Laura - (broomberg) - (11)
             That was someone's typo - (ben_tilly) - (10)
                 DAMN! - (broomberg) - (3)
                     I hate her as well, but... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                         Note the "main" - (broomberg)
                     Your instincts must be good, then. - (Ashton)
                 How about this one? - (broomberg) - (5)
                     That looks like one bogus degree - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                         On U of Bucharest - (broomberg) - (3)
                             Ah, understood - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                 I'd guess its inflated though - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                     Is it worth worrying about? -NT - (ben_tilly)
         On the moral issues - (Another Scott)
         Well at least from all of this - (rcareaga) - (8)
             What difference does it make? - (broomberg) - (7)
                 I can't really understand your analogy - (rcareaga) - (5)
                     People who BS into jobs should be fired - (broomberg) - (2)
                         Re: People who BS into jobs should be fired - (rcareaga) - (1)
                             Different protections from different punishments - (broomberg)
                     Analogies weak all around I think - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                         Draconian R'Us - (Ashton)
                 Eh? He rebooted the prod box, it didnt come up - (boxley)
         Falsified Credentials Grate at me - (gdaustin) - (3)
             Reliance on One-Time Paper Credentials - that plus - (Ashton) - (2)
                 Crooks repeat offenses... - (gdaustin) - (1)
                     So when does the pResident get his? -NT - (ben_tilly)
         Officemate suggestion - (broomberg) - (3)
             {Evull snicker} -NT - (Ashton)
             Guess you have worn off on your co-workers, huh? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                 Must have - (broomberg)

...introduce an "if", and you're down the slippery slope. You add "for", and it's an avalanche. Then the "while" falls on you, and you're buried.
344 ms