IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New tilting at diploma mills
I do site maintenance on a pro bono basis for a small nonprofit group based in the Bay Area. Yesterday I received an email singling out the online bio of one of the group's officers, specifically the line "She holds BS and MBA degrees from Dipshit State University, and occasionally serves on the faculty of [institute of higher learning]." My correspondent continues:
You may need to be aware that Dipshit State does not exist nor has ever existed other than as a printing press and post office box. Do a search concerning that name and learn of the history of fraud surrounding that name. I implore you to research it and see if someing [sic] is making misrepresentations.
It didn't require much googling to discover that "Dipshit State University" does indeed appear to be a university in name only. I responded that I would pass the infomation on to the nonprofit (I later noticed, reviewing his email, that he had thoughtfully saved me the trouble) with my recommendation that the offending elements be excised from the CV, adding that "I will advise you of their decision, if any, provided I am satisfied as to your motives--or that this is not a bot-generated complaint." The reply:
Bot? No, I'm not a perl script or anything of the kind. I was doing research regarding internet fraud and found data on diploma scams. As such, I used google and other engines to find instances of the term 'Dipshit State University" with other words like 'police, director, coach, etc'. So far I have found police officers, members of boards of directors, governor appointees, and even a state representative that have listed this 'degree' as part of their credentials. I've saved pics of all the pages I mentioned, and will go back in one month and see what has simply been covered up and what has been fixed.
That sounded a little ominous. I asked:
What is the distinction between "covering up" and "fixing"?--I doubt very much whether, after dropping the spurious degress, the rewrite is likely to include a public penance, so will the mere removal of references to the spurious diplomas be regarded as a "coverup"?
Our little Inspector Javert responded (emphases added):
It depends on the position that the person held. In the case of the person being a public servant and the point where a degree was required to obtain the job, promotion, or had any bearing to the person's employment, I would expect job termination. In cases where a degree is not needed, then simply the notification of the supervisors will suffice in informing them of the potential fraud and mind set of an employee where they would 'purchase' a degree. It is like purchasing an old uniform or even a medal from a pawn shop and wearing it in a military parade. Illegal is some places, possibly legal in others, but damn insensitive and unethical in any area.
And there we have left it last time I checked. I'm of two minds here. Certainly the faux-degree business is sleazy enough: check out:

[link|http://www.diplomaservices.com/index.html|http://www.diplomase...es.com/index.html]

--an outfit that has the breathtaking audacity to advise consumers to beware of their cut-rate competitors' cheap, shoddy counterfeit diplomas. I would not knowingly hire, say, a surgeon with faked credentials (and I certainly would never check into a hospital where personnel decisions were left to me), but if the surgeon did ten years of unobjectionable work before the deception was discovered, I would at least pause to reflect that there have been a lot of incompetent medicos whose credentials were beyond reproach. The military comparison seems particularly inapt. If I, for example, pass myself off as a veteran of the Vietnam conflict, I am suggesting that I share, and that my character has been formed by, a number of hard life experiences (risking my life, ending the lives of assorted Asians, fragging my officers, enduring physical hardship and prolonged levels of stress), and it seems to me that the real article is entitled to be offended at my presumption. But if X passes himself off as a fellow alumnus of UC Santa Cruz whereas in fact he went straight to work at a FotoMat after high school, and lived at home until he was 24, can I really summon up the indignation to roar at him: "You poseur, you fraud, you weren't there! The marijuana, the psilocybin, the all-night parties, the sexually-forward women on the A-Dorm fourth floor--what can you know of these? My God, gobbling amphetamines the night before the term papers were due, the...the dorm food..." (momentarily losing composure) "...you...you dare?...You are contemptible, sir! Lower than dirt!"

I don't think so. I believe this correspondent (almost certainly a college man--probably an undergraduate even as we speak) is indignant at these people trying to pass themselves off as One of Us, rather the way my old man gloats when he uncovers a celebrity Semite ("Did you know that her name is really 'Finkelstein?'"). To my way of thinking the woman he accuses is more to be pitied than scorned. Who knows why she didn't get her degrees by conventional means? Perhaps she got knocked up in tenth grade and never even managed a GED. Doubtless since that time she has had occasion to observe that higher education, or at least the credentials therefrom, opens some doors, and it may be that her "Dipshit State University" diplomas got her through the first of these and that she has in fact proceeded from there on talent and hard work. I don't know. And neither does my correspondent, but he seems perfectly willing to get her ass fired, or at the very least to cause her some humiliation in the workplace (she has unwisely posted the same CV on her employer's site, and I don't doubt that he's emailed his original communiqué to them as well).

Well, I've made my recommendation to the nonprofit, and will modify the entry according to their call. Do the moral issues here seem murky to anyone else?

cordially,

[edits: typos; barn-door redactions]
"Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist."
Expand Edited by rcareaga April 26, 2003, 01:56:09 PM EDT
Expand Edited by rcareaga April 26, 2003, 08:06:52 PM EDT
Expand Edited by rcareaga April 27, 2003, 01:37:59 PM EDT
New ah yes..
"You poseur, you fraud, you weren't there! The marijuana, the psilocybin, the all-night parties, the sexually-forward women on the A-Dorm fourth floor--what can you know of these? My God, gobbling amphetamines the night before the term papers were due, the...the dorm food..."

Yes - it was a sacrifice made for the greater good, and other things being equal, I'd do it again!

Seriously though - I almost have more respect for the bald-faced liars than I do for some dipshitess who went to Yuppie U (think U of Phoenix) for a few hours a night twice a week, and really believes the "degree" obtained this way is worth something.
-drl
Expand Edited by deSitter April 26, 2003, 02:03:26 PM EDT
New Flabbergasted
There are two issues that we need to separate here.
  1. Too many jobs have bullshit requirements.
  2. I strongly dislike liars.

The first seems to be the one that you are railing against. If someone really is capable of doing the job, then let them do it. You don't care how they got there. I agree that it is a problem, but it is not an issue that I care about as much as the second one

The second is the one which concerns me. I find that a person who is willing to make big lies in one place - for instance claiming degrees not possessed - is generally willing to have a string of big and little lies elsewhere. If you go digging, this is generally going to be a problem.

Connected to that is the fact that I would prefer to discourage lying, and having people who are inclined to lie see other people be caught lying with no consequences doesn't do that. It is far, far nicer to operate in an environment of trust, and maintain the foundation for that by defending the community standard behind it.

Therefore if it was up to me to make the decision, I would support throwing the book at her.

For the record, despite being at one point only 3 months shy of a PhD in math, knowing that I know more math than most math PhDs, and having more publications than most mathematicians, you won't see me claim to be a PhD. I may be able to do any job which requires a PhD, but I don't have one and I won't claim otherwise.

Cheers,
Ben

PS And yes, I am one of those neanderthals who detest grade inflation. There is nothing wrong with telling someone that they didn't do well on a course, and the world doesn't owe you what you didn't get, no matter how silly it might be.
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New Does this dress make me look fat?
Actually, I'm not railing against anything here, although my correspondent, the young People's Prosecutor, does put my hackles up a bit. Regarding the woman in question, I have no idea whether she's a jewel in her salaried position or the scum of the earth who leaves colleagues and subordinates shaking their heads and wondering how on earth she achieved her present eminence (very much like someone in my organization, and I mustn't go there or I will start railing). Since I don't know, I am inclined neither to make excuses for her--I merely set forth some possible circumstances behind the original lack of a degree that she has sought to address in this pathetic manner--nor to throw books.

As to lying...this is probably in general to be deplored, but I'm going to have to come down on the side of moral relativism here. Sometimes The Truth ain't worth nurturing a Kenneth Starr.

cordially,
New There is moral relativism and moral relativism (new thread)
Created as new thread #98936 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=98936|There is moral relativism and moral relativism]
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New Comments

First: I'd advise discretion when posting details of such a matter. Specific text searches in Google may result in a hit, with corroborating details indicating that the returned page is indeed the one you are discussing. As an initial step, I'd remove the text in question from this page, immediately, possibly prior to consulting with the individual in question. The information is now effectively public.

\r\n\r\n

If you haven't already, I'd present the information to the CSU "degree recipient" in question, and the individual's supervisor or board, along with your initial notice from your external investigator, and suggest review (and the above immediate remediation). After this point, the matter is outside of your hands, unless you have a management role in the organization (information I've seen suggests you don't).

\r\n\r\n

You can't stop people such as your Javert from doing malicious, destructive things. You can take the opportunity to educate those who've presented questionable credentials (deliberately or otherwise) that the practice is likely to backfire significantly. One would hope that this is sufficient for them to correct the breach. I'd share your view that if this is what it took to get a foot in the door, it may have been an expedient lie, but that the individual now has other credentials to present. Certainly, continuing to rely on those of a mill in this Google-bound era is highly risky, QED.

--\r\n
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]\r\n
[link|http://kmself.home.netcom.com/|http://kmself.home.netcom.com/]\r\n
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?\r\n
[link|http://twiki.iwethey.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/|TWikIWETHEY] -- an experiment in collective intelligence. Stupidity. Whatever.\r\n
\r\n
   Keep software free.     Oppose the CBDTPA.     Kill S.2048 dead.\r\n[link|http://www.eff.org/alerts/20020322_eff_cbdtpa_alert.html|http://www.eff.org/alerts/20020322_eff_cbdtpa_alert.html]\r\n
New Re: Comments
karsten recommends:
As an initial step, I'd remove the text in question from this page, immediately, possibly prior to consulting with the individual in question. The information is now effectively public
I take your point, and would be happy to redact the post, but unless our beloved admin consented to bend the accountability rule and extend the redact to the "edit history" page, I don't think it would do any good. But you're quite right on general principles; I ought merely to have described the situation rathet than providing details of the fraud. I doubt whether any of the regulars will abuse this; Javert might happen upon it when his month's deadline has run, but...(shrug)...he will do what he will do.

cordially,
New My instincts are similar..
My jaundiced view is that, that Murican leftover Puritan miasma produces much more unnecessary mischief than the simple fact: we all 'lie' regularly and unconsciously ("I Know that ___") as well as the usual kind. Someone who Never Lies would be as mechanical a creation as a marl marionette.

Cataloguing the Sigma-Lies Quotient for everyone we know (of) - would be a more breathtaking project than .. the one which damn near killed Bertie; his (224? whatever #) pages to get to: 2 + 2 = 4. Principia indeed.

I see Ben's point also, but not quite as punctiliously [see above]. So my response would be to initially give benefit of doubt as, ~harmless peccadillo to get foot in door - until familiarity with the person / record could convince me otherwise. Bizness in Murica '03 is not an iota-less than a Suppurating Tissue of Mandated Daily Lies, in general: from the Top down ---> to the smarmy salesman of products which most people 'need' as much as a board needs tits.

Recommended reading: a W. Somerset Maugham story, Mr. Knowall - also filmed exquisitely maybe ~ late '50s? in something I believe called, Quartet (which may also have included the exc. The Verger). Maybe it's worth a recap of Knowall, though I hate to spoil it for anyone tempted to read it == Skip Next, Between ***

Scene: a cruise ship. The usual Brit. affluent dressed to nines, post prandial. Mr Knowall is a gem expert. Protagonist #2 is wife of one of the Toffs present, wearing some er jewelry. Mr. K demonstrates his appraisals of various glitter worn by the glitterati. And nears the place of ... Ms. X.

[Her husband is aware of this 'costume jewelry' of his wife. Unaware that it ain't 'costume' - and we are left to infer the tale of a forbidden passion, and a regard bestowed.]

As the attention turns to Ms. X, who makes weak efforts to "never mind".. (We are allowed to see that Mr. K. notices) a fleeting glance crosses her face; one of horror..

But the exam cannot be shrugged off, we see.

Mr. K examines the brooch ... looks up, then at Ms. X, and pronounces it, a fine piece! ...

but, of course -

a very well-done imitation!

And somehow this brash egoist has become suddenly - a most alert and wise human being.

(Where are today's Maughams? Writing submarine war flicks?)

Change the polarity for: this presumably callow youth who imagines next that He, (like Our Burden, Callow Dubya) Shall Fix the World. Were I in the middle of this contretemps, I doubt I could resist rubbing the Self-Satisfied One's nose in his project - with whatever degree of sarcasm could be tolerated by his limited grasp of Life thus far: the point would not be to (just) humiliate - since humility he indeed appears to lack - but, more importantly, defuze. ('Nice' could even do, depending on whether the twit is salvageable, in one's snap opinion.)

Screwing-up peoples' jobs as a comic book Nemesis Against Sin, IMhO ranks right up there with:

Fucking Rev. fucking Foulwell and his legions of sanctimonious-twit followers. Who can calculate even the *dead* [queers, for just a start] -?- these miserable bastards have strewn in their wake, as of '03.

Go Get Im, Rand!

Ashton Anti-crusader Crusaders LLC
New Re: My instincts are similar..
"If I had a pretty little wife I shouldn't let her spend a year in New york while I stayed in Kobe," said he.
Ah, Maugham, one of the last century's most gifted miniaturists. As a know-all myself I know and cherish the story you mention. I have a rather handsome two-volume set of "The Complete Stories" on my bedside bookshelf. He appears to have been, if not actually forgotten, largely relegated to the minors these days, another writer for whom posthumous obscurity followed contemporary renown. He deserves better. I can remember my junior high school "social studies" teacher telling the class that Maugham had died, and then looking a bit depressed as thirty shining faces looked back at him in perfect incomprehension. You might enjoy, if you don't know it, Anthony Burgess' Earthly Powers, the narrator and protagonist of which seems rather clearly modeled on WSM.

My contact at the nonprofit has written back to say that we are to wait until we have heard from the erstwhile graduate of C******* State University, who she contrives to suggest, without actually saying so, is by way of being a bit of a beast. It was intimated that any discussion would rapidly turn unpleasant. Well, she was copied in on the original message/threat I received from Javert, and is perhaps even now arranging for him to be tracked down and killed. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

cordially,
New <chuckle> On Maugham...
I had to chuckle at the image of Javert being tracked...

I've only read a couple of Maughm's books - "Of Human Bondage" and "The Razor's Edge". They were both quite enjoyable. Bill Murray's protrayal in the [link|http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/TheRazorsEdge-1017238/reviews.php|film] "The Razor's Edge" was pretty good, I seem to recall, but it's been nearly 20 years since I saw it (yikes!).

I'll have to keep WSM on my list of authors to pick up when I've got nothing else to read...

Cheers,
Scott.
New Having read your post and the following replies,
when asked about education I always mention that I have 2 more years of school than Jethro Bodine and he was a brain surgeon as well as a double naught spy. I find it curious that people who are not amused at Columbia State University Degrees usually have a degree of some kind. Those without said certs figure a paper BS is not much different from a paper MSCE.
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]

Carpe Dieu
New For me it comes down to whether you can trust people or not.
Of course, Jethro only played at being a brain surgeon and double-naught spy...

We had [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=27867|a related discussion] some time ago. Having a degree means you completed the requirements for having a degree. It, by itself, doesn't mean you're smarter or better or more qualified than someone who doesn't have one.

In DC recently the fire chief was forced to leave after it was found out that he had padded his resume with a degree and various awards that he didn't earn. Does a fire chief need a degree? No, probably not. Does he or she need the trust of the citizens and the city government that he or she is trustworthy? Absolutely.

How would you feel if you were competing against someone for a job and that person claimed to have the same experience you did but really didn't?

Cheers,
Scott.
New trust v. vengeance v. indiscriminate justice
How would you feel if you were competing against someone for a job and that person claimed to have the same experience you did but really didn't?
Pissed off. Possibly sufficiently pissed off that I'd expose the fraud. I just can't see myself taking the kind of drive-by, scattershot approach that Inspector Javert has essayed, if only because bystanders could be injured.

cordially,
New Recent resume scandal in DC
[link|http://washingtontimes.com/metro/20020430-866444.htm|Here] is a Washington Times story about a recent (April 2002) resume scandal in the DC fire department which cost chief Few and several subordinates their jobs.

The Washington Times first reported on March 13 that [Assistant] Chiefs Garland, Anderson and [Deputy Chief] Cowan said in their resumes that they held the rank of chief in their previous jobs in the East Point, Ga., Fire Department. None had attained a rank higher than lieutenant. Their resumes also erroneously stated they had attended Dillard University in New Orleans, which has no record of their enrollment.

The three chiefs are friends of Chief Few and served under him when he was fire chief at East Point in the 1990s.

The Washington Post first reported on April 12 that Chief Few's resume and biography erroneously stated he had received a degree from Morris Brown College in Atlanta and had received an award from an international firefighters group that does not bestow such awards.

Lies on resumes have consequences. At minimum, they punish people who did make the effort and take the time to do what they said they did (if those who lied are rewarded with the position or promotion, etc.). Lies on resumes shouldn't be regarded as harmless boasting.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Having read your post and the following replies,
A significant difference is that the paper MCSE has at least sat the exams.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New Nail them
I agree with the fraud hunter.
Do the same query he did.

I'll focus on people who can have a hazardous effect
on other people.

Without even trying (ignoring the innocuous, which
according me are people like band instructors):

[link|http://www.utmb.edu/cmc/ateam.htm|http://www.utmb.edu/cmc/ateam.htm]

David M. Menotti has been with UTMB since August 2000 and
is currently Assistant Director of UM/CM/ Quality Services
and Risk Management at the University of Texas Medical Branch,
Managed Care.

This SOB is in a decision making position that affects
people's medical care.

[link|http://www.healthmoney.com/html/aboutUs.shtml|http://www.healthmon...tml/aboutUs.shtml]
James B. Crowell Director of Healthcare Services
Health card scam site.

[link|http://www.opticare-ehn.com/managementstaff.htm|http://www.opticare-...nagementstaff.htm]
Senior Vice President of HMO Development
This guy builds out HMO with customers and partners, ie:
he underprices and overpromises HMO stuff.

[link|http://www.rockinghamcc.edu/aboutrcc/facstaff/staff.html|http://www.rockingha...cstaff/staff.html]
Boudreaux, Barbara A. - Nursing Lab Coordinator
A.A.S., Rockingham Community College; B.S., M.S., Columbia State University

[link|http://www.thenewsandfarmer.com/topstories021303.html|http://www.thenewsan...tories021303.html]
L. R. Clark II of Bamberg, S.C., serves as Bamberg County
Administrator, served as Wrens City Administrator and City
Manager in Forsyth, Montezuma and Doerun. He holds a B.S.
in Public Administration from Columbia State University.

Wow. This guy runs the county.

[link|http://www.claycox.net/resume.htm|http://www.claycox.net/resume.htm]
Clay Cox Ph.D.
Columbia State University; Metairie, LA ;
Awarded Doctorate of Philosophy in Counseling Psychology

Here we have a guy give give massages. Of course, he also has
Phd!

[link|http://www.capital-credit.com/corp_people.php3|http://www.capital-c.../corp_people.php3]
Ryland Campbell is a teacher turned Banker, who was
educated at Mico College, the University of the West
Indies and Columbia State University.

This guy runs a bank in Jamaica. I wonder what the next
scan is?

[link|http://www.clevelandschools.org/board.html|http://www.cleveland...ls.org/board.html]
Johnny Thompson was elected in 2002 to represent the Fifth District.

Board of Education!!!! Great, just someone perfect to trust with
the education of our children.

Now this CUTE!
[link|http://www.aacu-edu.org/liberaleducation/writers.cfm|http://www.aacu-edu....ation/writers.cfm]
Check out the guideline example here:

A brief statement of the author's title and affiliation
or relevant information about the author is needed to accompany
the article. (For example: John Smith is professor of geography
at Columbia State University and director of undergraduate
curriculum.)

Hehe.

[link|http://216.239.37.100/search?q=cache:SaBAmoJcgCUC:www.lmtonline.com|http://216.239.37.10...www.lmtonline.com]
/lmtbusiness/archive/091001/jrnl6.pdf+%22columbia+state+university%22+director&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
Carole Symonette.
Asst. VP at Bank (yeah, worthless position), now in charge of the Telcom
office. How would you like to be reporting to her?

[link|http://www.thediabeticdigest.com/products/bio_storfer.htm|http://www.thediabet...s/bio_storfer.htm]
Dr. HOWARD STORFER Chief Executive Officer
Asshole scamming diabetics.

[link|http://www.issa-sac.org/meetings/20000922_mtg.shtml|http://www.issa-sac....0000922_mtg.shtml]
Presenter: Robert Schperberg of JANUS Associates
Bob holds a Bachelor of Science from Columbia State University,
federal certificates in the areas of Hostage Negotiations,
Explosive Ordnance Investigations, Counter Terrorism and Forensic
Investigations.

This guy handles explosives and lectures on fraud!!!!!

These pages go on and on and on.
New unintended consequences
Well! As indicated in my original post I saw little to like on either side of the issue, but there are at least a few of you for whom the issues are not murky at all, and I wish you the joy of your moral clarity. It is not to be wondered at that many of the "alumni" you've uncovered are pretty smarmy cases, and it will be interesting to see which pages still make the claim after my correspondent--or perhaps some new enrollees in the crusade from our own roster?--has delivered his velvety threats.

Ah, me, what if I've spawned a dozen Junior Javerts?

A useful lesson for me. Think implications through before posting. Karsten was right.

cordially,
New Its Fraud
RE: [link|http://www.diplomaservices.com/|http://www.diplomaservices.com/]
Holy COW! They even provide a verification service - you fill out the transcript request forms and send them in - they make you transcripts. They also pick up the phone to discuss your years of attendance.

Box, I see you as an MIT man.

Its Fraud. Fraud deserves jail. You're worried about her losing her job? I'd have her locked up.

Like the recently departed CEO of American Airlines - what he did is fraud. He deserves jail. Not just dismissal.

Thats all there is to it.

We've gone soft. We don't expell plagarists in the universities. We don't even flunk them - we give them C's "with a warning".

I'm sick of Bozos working angles.

PUT THEM IN JAIL.

"Packed like lemmings into shiny metal boxes.
Contestants in a suicidal race."
    - Synchronicity II - The Police
Expand Edited by tuberculosis April 27, 2003, 03:10:57 PM EDT
Expand Edited by tuberculosis April 27, 2003, 03:14:03 PM EDT
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 05:56:26 AM EDT
New certitude!
Thats all there is to it
That's seldom the case.

I'm not the least worried, incidentally, about whether this woman loses or retains her job--I was merely curious as to whether anyone else found the self-appointed private dick as creepy as I did. The jesuitical zeal expressed by those of you who do not has been very intersting to observe.

cordially,

[edit: PS removed]
Expand Edited by rcareaga April 27, 2003, 03:30:15 PM EDT
New Uh huh
I'd be interested in just what sorts of extenuating circumstances excuse the falsification of credentials.

If I begin to percieve that I'm at a disadvantage in the marketplace (which at present time is simultaneusly classifying me as "over-qualified" as a developer and "under-experienced" for management), and I see no-talent ass clowns getting promotions and raises while they fiddle their way through the fires, then I'm going to level the playing field. I'm going to cheat too. As will everybody else.

I don't much want to work/live in that kind of society - but if thats how the game works, hey, I can order a half dozen diplomas too. Maybe get a new identity while I'm at it. Heck, maybe a couple - each with its own credit card.

The system works best overall if everybody plays by the same set of rules. It is in everybody's interest to keep everybody else honest.

So I'm just acting in all of our best interests when I say "Jail em". Because a crime like this needs to be elevated to the level of "unthinkable".

PS - I found it sort of meta-entertaining that the diploma mill you point to offers conterfeit diplomas for a fraud university (your aforementioned DipShit U).

Expand Edited by tuberculosis April 27, 2003, 05:09:04 PM EDT
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 05:56:38 AM EDT
New actually I will have an MIT degree
as soon as I work out a few bugs in a patent I have in mind. It will generate a large amount of cash and a suitable donation to MIT will guarranty my honorable Diploma. The question is price, is a cheap degree from Columbia State worth as much as a expensive one from MIT? Apparently not. I didnt pursue higher education because of the times I lived in. I did spend the best part of a year auditing at McGill psychology classes at all levels at Montreal. I never saw the need in the new society we were building for a bonifide degree. Either you could do the job or you could not. Things changed because of the grifters and scammers. The degree became a marketing tool, then a yardstick. Could I pass myself of as a petroleum engineer? No but how many jobs in IT preformed by Major Oil companies can I not do? Very few. The degree is a filter, I do not claim to have one and have never lied about my lack of formal education, but I have met many "educated" folks and at least they can follow the basics in their field of endevour. Is it fraud? Perhaps but if a person in a field has "X" years experience and done well lying on a resume should be punished all right but jail isnt the punishment I would seek.
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

Carpe Dieu
New Dr Laura
Evil homophobic bitch.

Check out this cached google entry:
[link|http://216.239.33.100/search?q=cache:1kfDsH9Ity0C:www.media-awareness.ca/eng/news/news/three/drlaura.htm+%22columbia+state+university%22+&hl=en&ie=UTF-8|http://216.239.33.10...2+&hl=en&ie=UTF-8]

Here's the final quote in case it expires:

In an open letter recently published in the Globe and Mail, Ms. Schlessinger says that her Ph.D. in physiology from Columbia State University "entitles me to state the obvious: Homosexuality is a deviation from the biological norm of heterosexuality."
New That was someone's typo
Her PhD is from the medical school of the University of Columbia.

Which exists.

Cheers,
Ben
New DAMN!
I still hate her.

I went to her web site and found that are "about" page was gone. I took that as a bit of confirmation.

[link|http://www.drlaura.com/main/about|http://www.drlaura.com/main/about]
New I hate her as well, but...
The [link|http://www.drlaura.com/about/|about] page is there. Perhaps it just moved?

Cheers,
Ben
New Note the "main"
When I go to "drlaura.com" to puts me down a level to drlaura/main, then all links are relative from there.

Why didn't it do it to you?
New Your instincts must be good, then.
I have her on my Rev Foulwell and Associated Sanctimonious Vengeance-Scum list, too.
Just another Rush-class loudmouth, taking the LCD of psychotainment: feed 'em nasty crap and they'll join Your mob.. and bring their own torches.

Fuck 'Em.

Ashton
New How about this one?
[link|http://www.visualbasic-books.com/visual-basic-6-from-scratch-(scratch-series).html|http://www.visualbas...atch-series).html]

Gabriel Oancea has over 14 years of progressive experience in object-oriented analysis and design, systems architecture, developing client-server and multi-layered systems. He holds a Ph.D. in Computer Science from Columbia State University and an MS in Engineering from University of Bucharest.

Looks like 2 bogus degrees, not just one.

His next job this degree was removed:
[link|http://www.firestarsoftware.com/news/execteam.shtml|http://www.firestars...ws/execteam.shtml]

Oancea, a resident of Nashua, New Hampshire, holds a M.S. in Engineering from the University of Bucharest and has completed graduate work toward a Ph.D. in Computer Science at the University of Toronto.

I guess the Bucharest one is untraceable.
New That looks like one bogus degree
The other one might or might not be legit. There is a [link|http://www.unibuc.ro/en/|University of Bucharest], it just is in Romania.

For the record, the best math student that I have have been in a class with was from Romania. What really floored me is that in Romania she wasn't even a math student, she concentrated in English in highschool. That is how she managed to get a scholarship to go to undergrad in the USA. (Entering Dartmouth College as an undergrad she was in half of my graduate-level classes as a freshman. I was probably the only graduate student with a better background than her, but I acknowledge that she was better than me at math.)

Cheers,
Ben
New On U of Bucharest
I know its a real place, just that if someone shows me an obviously fake degree and one from there, I will assume they are lying about that too.

Simply because it would be a bit painful for me to check up on it.
New Ah, understood
And that is the problem with a proven liar. Whether or not they are lying, people often won't believe them.

But in this case I am inclined towards belief because after being caught lying, that statement remained on the CV. Plus if the new statement that appeared has any chance of being true (some PhD work in Toronto), a BSc is likely, and Bucharest is as likely as any other place for that.

Cheers,
Ben
New I'd guess its inflated though
if the MS is Bucharest, where is the BS from again?

I'd guess that the degree programs aren't strictly equivalent regardless, but it seems fishy.

Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 05:58:10 AM EDT
New Is it worth worrying about?
New On the moral issues
Rand writes:

Do the moral issues here seem murky to anyone else?

As I understand the situation, her bio was posted on a web page. As such, it was public. The Inspector wasn't snooping through her trash.

I don't have any idea why he would spend the time to investigate DSU "graduates" and contact others about those who claim to have degrees from that "institution". He might be a creep; he might be a wonderful person.

Based on the information provided, I don't think the situation is [link|http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=murky|murky]. She shouldn't have claimed to have a degree she didn't have. In doing so, she risked being discovered. I don't think any blame for her situation should be transferred to the Inspector.

I also feel that any disciplinary actions against her should be based on the policies of her employer and any mitigating circumstances should be fully considered. The Inspector's opinions shouldn't have any bearing on what happens to her.

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Well at least from all of this
--perhaps I can be absolved of the charge of cynicism, first levelled at me thirty-five years ago by fellow teenagers, and repeated with dreary regularity over the years by people old enough to know better ("Not me," I bark unavailingly--does anyone here remember Tom Swifties?--I will attempt to launch a revival this week in "Oh, Pun!"). I suggested--merely suggested--that Miss Dipshit University Homecoming Queen of 1978 might have neglected to obtain her undergraduate degree owing to teen pregnancy. I didn't aver that this was so ("I don't know," I said, "and neither does my correspondent"). That circumstance if true would not excuse her fraud, but might ameliorate it to humane eyes--those sensibilities on which the irony of Anatole France's famous observation that "The law, in its majestic equality, forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets or steal bread" is not lost. Alas, merely to acknowledge the possibility that Ms. X's crime might have any extenuating elements attached thereunto has called my own virtue into question from a few quarters, but I hope that my judges will at least acknowledge, as they pass sentence, a certain softheartedness lurking beneath my stony exterior. Your true cynic would never have found himself in this position.

cordially,
New What difference does it make?
Either a person is qualified for a job or they are not.
If the person creating the job deems certain educational
requirements, then so be it. I've argued against them in
the past (having no degree myself) for programming, but
I understand how they are beneficial in many areas.

Your various analogies are certainly heartfelt, but they
do nothing for the situation.

Let me give you my own analogy of the week.

We have a bunch of computers (Linux, Solaris, MF) on our
network.

I identified a performance problem which our systems
group attempted to resolve.

The goal was to move data faster between computers over
the network.

The Unix sysadmin (not the one I've spoken about in the
past, another newer one) suggested enabling jumbo frames.

I declined, since our Sun boxes were incapable of it, and
when you enable jumbo frames on a box, ALL boxes on the
physical net need to use them or they can't talk to each other.

He wanted to experiment on the Linux boxes, just to see how
fast they would go. We agreed on 2 boxes, ones in development,
that could be isolated for the test.

The next day I came in, my primary production SAS box had
been rebooted, and it did not come up cleanly.

Why?

Because the sysadmin decided that the 2 boxes weren't working
for the test, and he thought he could make the changes on this
box without anyone noticing. Which then caused it to hang and
need to be rebooted.

So as the emails escalated between myself and him and I realized
I was about to start lecturing, I stopped and forwarded all
to my boss, his boss, and his boss' boss.

The Systems Director called me:

Him: Wasn't the sysadmin working on a performance problem for you?
Me: Yes.
Him: Didn't he "in good faith" try something for you?
Me: Huh? Good faith? What the hell does that have to do with it?
He broke a production box and didn't even tell anyone.

I'll spare you the next 10 repeats of the above exchange.

I ended the "good faith" bullshit with:

Me: OK, so I've asked you to remove a splinter from my finger.
You've decided "in good faith" that the best way to do it would be
by going through my eyeball.

I was told by the sysadmin during lunch that he was hit by
Hurricane Barry that morning.
New I can't really understand your analogy
--possibly because I lack technical competence.

I'm not defending Ms. Dipshit U. Homecoming Queen. Maybe she's scum. Perhaps she should be taken down.

What I'm against is the one-size-fits-all Google-informed condemnation. Because Ms. DUHQ may be the kind of scum who has deprived Todd_Blanchard of a job, but maybe--maybe--she just...stole...a loaf of bread...twenty years ago. But Todd wants her jailed.

I'd want to know more. And I wouldn't set my bots out to bring her down until I knew it. Sorry if this stance convicts me of moral turpitude. It used to be known as "presumption of innocence," and extended even when the initial evidence seemed grave indeed. From what I've seen in this forum, presumption of innocence doesn't seem to carry much weight these days.

cordially,
New People who BS into jobs should be fired
This guy has NO business touching my systems. I've picked up some stuff from the original interview as compared to current performance that shows some discrepencies. Not enough to fire, but enough to set off the warnings.

So now it is a matter of slowly taking enough hits to justify getting rid of him. Enduring pain, downtime, and possible lost data as the wheels of HR slowly turn.

In the case of the BS degrees, that is a smoking gun. The "loaf of bread" was a calculated act designed to lie to a potential employer. And while employed, this person is NEVER to be trusted.

Positions requiring degrees are not closely managed. Which means this person is going to cause more and more pain for those that depend on him. These are "trusted" positions. And are being given to untrustworthy people.
New Re: People who BS into jobs should be fired
In the case of the BS degrees, that is a smoking gun.

We still grant a trial even when the smoking gun is Exhibit A. Is this such a foreign concept here?

cordially,
New Different protections from different punishments
Loss of liberty is different from loss of job.

No trial necessary. Just enough evidence that the responsible person (boss, owner, board of directors) can make a decision.

The person holding the smoking gun would be placed in jail, freedom deprived, possibly without bail until the trial. If the BS resume person was suspended, no pay, no access to do any damage, while there income was freed up to pay someone to do their job, maybe an immeidate firing would be avoided. But due to the issues of employee turnover, training, long ramp up time for projects, institutional memory, etc, I'd say the company should not be burdened.
Expand Edited by broomberg April 28, 2003, 06:43:30 AM EDT
New Analogies weak all around I think
"maybe--she just...stole...a loaf of bread...twenty years ago. But Todd wants her jailed."

Hmmm. I had a college roomie my last year who had a wife a year older than him and a couple babies. She graduated one year earlier and moved 80 miles away to the big city. Buddy lived in our house during school week and drove up to the city to be with her on weekends. Buddy was a physics major who got into EMI hardening in a big way on a summer internship and had a standing job offer waiting when he finished his BS.

Buddy came up against the instructor from hell in a sorry assed one credit class and flunked it. No diploma. Much effort was made to try to work something out since he needed to get working and get with his wife and kids. Prof was unreasonable and unyielding (and thus, karmaically died in a car accident 2 years later).

Meanwhile, Buddy gets a call from his company and they say "so are you ready to get to work"? He says "yes". OK, its an entry level job and there's your stolen loaf of bread. Buddy gets pretty good at his specialty (and its a tiny niche) and starts doing original research - publishes a few papers in scientific journals - and even goes back to the university to try to work out a deal to get that one credit out of the way via submitting original research papers or something. The U won't deal. They insist he quit his job, move 80 miles south, and do the class for a semester. They won't take a transfer credit from the state university near where he works, nor will they let him do a project. "Fuck em" he says.

Buddy switches jobs 18 months later using his current resume, and published papers as credentials, then comes clean a couple weeks after he starts work and forever strikes the name of his university from his resume/bio. End of theft. '

I can sort of forgive this one because it was entry level, there is a desperation quotient, and it was rectified before he moved to any position of authority.

OTOH, advanced degree fraud I have a much harder time with. By using a fake advanced degree to gain a senior position she's not just stealing a loaf of bread, she's continually depriving a village of food for the sake of greed.

The punishment should be proportional to the spoils.

Of course, its inversely proportional these days. Steal a slice of pizza and get 20 years, do a white collar crime embezzling millions and get 18 months. But that's another topic.

Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 05:58:08 AM EDT
New Draconian R'Us
I can sort of forgive this one because it was entry level, there is a desperation quotient, and it was rectified before he moved to any position of authority.

OTOH, advanced degree fraud I have a much harder time with. By using a fake advanced degree to gain a senior position she's not just stealing a loaf of bread, she's continually depriving a village of food for the sake of greed.

The punishment should be proportional to the spoils.

Of course, its inversely proportional these days. Steal a slice of pizza and get 20 years, do a white collar crime embezzling millions and get 18 months. But that's another topic.
Ye gawds & Little Fishes, man.. as you've described it - a psychotic Martinet refuses to cut this guy *Any Slack* despite his earnest efforts to 'make things right' and a genuine personal dilemma that is not contrived. ... followed by an Entire-Anal-retentive-University! ... YEARS! Later and -

You can "sort-of forgive" ?? in this case.
(If he were canonized first - would that help you budge?)

Shit: dissembling, duplicity, unreasonableness is rampant. And you (and others) want to make this entire issue - a fucking simplistic DIGITAL one - still !?

I don't get it; it sounds like purest mechanical sophistry - especially in the case you cite. And no little flavoring of Foulwellian far-Righteous sanctimony. Each case / person is NOT some simple Yes/No table IMO. (Not until the entire society grows a long way from present adolescence and its tacit acceptance of mandated bizness duplicity. Because: THAT is the Norm of today's Disneyland kultur.)

Ashton
New Eh? He rebooted the prod box, it didnt come up
then started whining about it? He should at least have been dazzling you with BS(brilliance) while heroicly trying to get the crap straightened out. Was the box brought up into production status and you noticed after the fact that it didnt come up clean or was it still fubared when you got in. In the second case, ride his ass, in the first case HE is the sysadmin and is responsible for the prod box, and being the responsible party you can do any thing you like "as long as it doesnt impact production"
thanx,
bill

Carpe Dieu
New Falsified Credentials Grate at me
I hate people who try to get where I've gotten with falsified credentials.

One of the problems is that it sounds like he/she is already there, on the BOD, an officer.

Questions do need to be asked, but a lot depends on the situation.

How long have they been there and what is their record? If they've been there a long time (2 years or more), with a solid record, then I would consider it a forgivable offense. If they're there without some prior track record, or with a poor record, then it's clearly time to remove them.

Fundamentally, you have to take a hard look at this person's character. If they are a person with a solid character, who made a mistake, and they do good work, then I'd say forgive.

Otherwise, you need to start looking at what else may be falsified in your organization. It may turn out that money they managed is missing, or that decisions they have made were unethical or worse, illegal. The investigation needs to go beyond just the credentials to everything they have done since getting there. Not fun, but necessary, to find the possible "damage".

Experience tells me they probably don't have that great of a character if they're willing to use false credentials to get the job.
New Reliance on One-Time Paper Credentials - that plus
the hubris of.. a certain high-% [?] of many who profess to know things:

Got us the AMA and its Undisciplined and Undiscipline-able (inevitable) minority of quacks: those who (last vague #s I recall) are <10% of the Total 'Self-Governing' Body [Hah] and accrue 60? 80%? of malpractice events (and that is just the ratio for those who ran the gantlet all the way to Filing! - via that Other 'Profess-ion'). These are Un_Removable since this club was first formed.. and began to eliminate all the {many, actually} competing approaches to maintaining that chimera, health. (Ours are trained to merely, "try to fix disease symptoms" - itself a hightly arguabke paradigm BTW)

I appreciate the sense of Unfairness when the worthy are passed-over by the popular Slime with a gift for gab, but I also believe that this state of affairs has more to do with the Pop Idol notion which permeates every aspect of Murican 'culture' - and merely spills over, unavoidably -- even into raw science, where we would suppose that Merit-only could more easily be discerned [?] (And any illusions about whether a degree is much related to Original Thought in *that* small area of work -except as an Entry Pass- don't accord with the history of the field).

Most soap operas and stories abound in the 'clever ploy' via which the unsung wannabe-hero Gets to Be a 'Hero' once foot got in That Door. (in the murky demi-sense of that word, whenever applied to anything remotely related to accumulating infinite $$ forever and ever.)

I thought that.. in John Dewey pragmatic bizness: the One who (proves s/he) can Do the job - was supposed to get it; also keep it "so long as". So then: if hanky-panky gets someone In and.. they also Do Do the Job.. in due time:

What Should the Punishment Be? if they sneaked-in?

(Should we then also apply this punishment to an entire cabal that "sneaked-in" via Friends at the Top, in a crucial part of Government? Rather recently.)

Sorry but - I (still) just don't see an EZ fits-All slogan for this pesky and common Murican glitch.. in the way people are slotted into prefab 'jobs' via a resum\ufffd and Good Teeth. (Unless you imagined that bizness even pretends to 'select' in the same way that University 'pretends to select' ??)

Ashton, Dense I guess.
New Crooks repeat offenses...
If the person is a true "crook", then an investigation will turn up a whole lot more than just falsified credentials.

That's why the person's activities need to be scrutinzed at a more detailed level.

Most crooks keep offending, and do their best to cover their tracks.

I do believe that those who are truly wicked will be punished. The evil deeds done in the darkness will be ultimately brought into the light.

If you live where all of your deeds are done in the light of visibility and scrutiny, then you're accountable and your integrity will soon be evident.
New So when does the pResident get his?
New Officemate suggestion
Setup a "honeypot" web site filled with bogus degreed individuals.

Wait for the hunter to contact you.

Tell him:

Yeah, they admitted it on their interview. We hired them anyway.

Watch him twitch.
New {Evull snicker}
New Guess you have worn off on your co-workers, huh?
New Must have
This guy is a born again holy roller.
     tilting at diploma mills - (rcareaga) - (50)
         ah yes.. - (deSitter)
         Flabbergasted - (ben_tilly) - (2)
             Does this dress make me look fat? - (rcareaga) - (1)
                 There is moral relativism and moral relativism (new thread) - (ben_tilly)
         Comments - (kmself) - (1)
             Re: Comments - (rcareaga)
         My instincts are similar.. - (Ashton) - (2)
             Re: My instincts are similar.. - (rcareaga) - (1)
                 <chuckle> On Maugham... - (Another Scott)
         Having read your post and the following replies, - (boxley) - (4)
             For me it comes down to whether you can trust people or not. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 trust v. vengeance v. indiscriminate justice - (rcareaga)
                 Recent resume scandal in DC - (Another Scott)
             Re: Having read your post and the following replies, - (pwhysall)
         Nail them - (broomberg) - (1)
             unintended consequences - (rcareaga)
         Its Fraud - (tuberculosis) - (3)
             certitude! - (rcareaga) - (1)
                 Uh huh - (tuberculosis)
             actually I will have an MIT degree - (boxley)
         Dr Laura - (broomberg) - (11)
             That was someone's typo - (ben_tilly) - (10)
                 DAMN! - (broomberg) - (3)
                     I hate her as well, but... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                         Note the "main" - (broomberg)
                     Your instincts must be good, then. - (Ashton)
                 How about this one? - (broomberg) - (5)
                     That looks like one bogus degree - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                         On U of Bucharest - (broomberg) - (3)
                             Ah, understood - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                 I'd guess its inflated though - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                     Is it worth worrying about? -NT - (ben_tilly)
         On the moral issues - (Another Scott)
         Well at least from all of this - (rcareaga) - (8)
             What difference does it make? - (broomberg) - (7)
                 I can't really understand your analogy - (rcareaga) - (5)
                     People who BS into jobs should be fired - (broomberg) - (2)
                         Re: People who BS into jobs should be fired - (rcareaga) - (1)
                             Different protections from different punishments - (broomberg)
                     Analogies weak all around I think - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                         Draconian R'Us - (Ashton)
                 Eh? He rebooted the prod box, it didnt come up - (boxley)
         Falsified Credentials Grate at me - (gdaustin) - (3)
             Reliance on One-Time Paper Credentials - that plus - (Ashton) - (2)
                 Crooks repeat offenses... - (gdaustin) - (1)
                     So when does the pResident get his? -NT - (ben_tilly)
         Officemate suggestion - (broomberg) - (3)
             {Evull snicker} -NT - (Ashton)
             Guess you have worn off on your co-workers, huh? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                 Must have - (broomberg)

Goo goo goo joob!
1,273 ms