IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Let us never forget...
Saddam presented the world with a choice: Lava and Raad today, twenty Lava's and Raad's tomorrow.

Very telling, that. Note how effortlessly we slide from real corpses to imaginary and abstract corpses, the real and notional dead (aside: if you can spare the time from catching up on back issues of "Soldier of Fortune," the late philosopher Gilbert Ryle has an essay in his collection Dilemmas that will put paid to your confusion here nicely) conflated, with the twenty ectoplasmic and two actual bodies all tied up with a red ribbon and laid on the Iraqi leader's doorstep. Odd--the old "the bitch made me do it" defense doesn't work that well with most juries, they tell me. Victoria Clarke, meet cybermace5; cybermace, Victoria. You'll particularly enjoy her work in "managed expectations."

You would find very few friends in Iraq with your viewpoint.

Let's go chat up grieving Uncle Ateh, shall we?

cordially,
"Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist."
New *Sigh*
Ok, you can have seconds. I'm running out of crows though.

Typically, you point to the bodies we have, and claim there wouldn't have been any if we had left Saddam alone. Or are you just uncomfortable with the fact that our bombs killed them, and would rather have let Saddam do it?

One of two possibilities: you're either naive, or hunting for something to act self-righteous about.

The only way you can cast a bad light on this, is by focusing microscopically on the worst things you can find. Less than a mile from Uncle Ateh were thousands of people dancing with joy and pulling down Saddam's statue. You do not want the big picture, you want to hunt through it looking for a fault, and latch onto it: because then you can maintain your self-delusion, and never have to admit the Bush administration did something right.

[image|http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20030409/i/1049908827.2281709637.jpg||||]
[image|http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20030409/mdf252822.jpg||||][image|http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030409/capt.1049904143.iraq_mich_dtc101.jpg||||]
[image|http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030409/capt.1049911251.iraq_us_war_jbm106.jpg||||]
[image|http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030409/capt.1049910781.war_iraq_us_baghdad_xjd117.jpg||||]
Expand Edited by cybermace5 April 9, 2003, 02:21:27 PM EDT
Expand Edited by cybermace5 April 9, 2003, 04:57:10 PM EDT
New Third possibility.
Here it is:

You're so naive that you'll actually take Bush 'n co at his word, when for the past two years he has squandered our international political capital with repeated lies, misinformation, and outright bullshit, aided in the destruction of our economy, and increased the odds that other countries will start invading each other on "security" pretexts.

Now, I'm on the record already as saying Mr. Hussein needs to go. In fact, I thought the biggest mistake we made the first time around was stopping at the border. I'm also on the record saying that Mr. Hussein's forces probably had chemical weapons in some form or another stored somewhere. He'd be an idiot not to.

I also think that getting Mr. Hussein out of power is a GOOD idea - but the way that Bush went about it (pretty much unilaterally, while presenting lies, misinformation, and half-truths to the international community, instead of just outright stating "Mr. Hussein is a dictator running his people into the ground, we're going to kick him out and hand the country back over to the people, then exit stage left", which would have preserved a lot more of our international credibility than the hack job he's done.) was pretty piss-poor.

So take your crow, and shove it up your ass. Or down your throat. Oh, wait, to stick it in your throat, you'd have to shove it up your ass anyways - that's where your head is.
After 9/11, Bush made two statements:
1. "Terrorists hate America because America is a land of freedom and opportunity."
2. "We intend to attack the root causes of terrorism."

Sounds like everything is going according to plan.
New While you're at it...
...do you remember feeling pissed off when hearing about third-worlders dancing in the streets praising the suicide attacks on the WTC?

That's exactly what you did when you posted your self-congradulatory masturbation to the thread about remembering the dead of war. Danced in the streets, on their bodies.
1. "Terrorists hate America because America is a land of freedom and opportunity."

New Re: While you're at it...
Big difference: the Iraqis are in fact dancing. They knew that some of them may die during the liberation of their country, but the ones who did die will be remembered with all due reverence and recognization of why they died.

Much better than an empty, purposeless death in the hands of a cruel dictator.
New So?
To the dead people, it doesn't matter one way or the other. Don't celebrate for them - mourn for them.

And I see you didn't bother to respond to any of the comments made in [http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=95418|"Third possibility."] Based off that, I'll assume that you were in total agreement with them, and have inserted your crow in the appropriate orifaces.

New ICLRPD
So take your crow, and shove it up your ass. Or down your throat. Oh, wait, to stick it in your throat, you'd have to shove it up your ass anyways - that's where your head is.
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New I must admit, I'm rather proud of that line... ;)
New Bah, supposed to have gone to "suggestions"
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New Re: I must admit, I'm rather proud of that line... ;)
Almost as good as that one line in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back....
New Never saw it. What was it?
New Re: Never saw it. What was it?
[link|http://www.moviequotes.com/fullquote.cgi?qnum=34097|http://www.moviequot...te.cgi?qnum=34097]
New Yeah, that was pretty good.
New Re: *Sigh*
This could almost be mistaken for an attempt at a reasoned response as opposed to the reflexive triumphalism that has marked most of your contributions this morning, so I'll make an effort here, observing first that your technique of attempting to frame the argument in terms of self-serving dualities will persuade few who read these posts. [EDIT: in consideration of which might you perhaps reformat the referenced message, which with the careless addition of the embedded images now makes the entire thread impossible to read without extensive horizontal scrolling?]

When I "point to the bodies" I do not "claim there wouldn't have been any if we had left Saddam alone" -- you will search my entries in vain for such a statement. As to "Or are you just uncomfortable with the fact that our bombs killed them, and would rather have let Saddam do it?" it is fair to assert that most of the individual civilians killed, injured or maimed in Baghdad since late March would be alive and going about their business today absent American military strikes; it is highly dubious to maintain that a like number would have been killed/injured/maimed during the same period as a consequence of the normal operations of the regime.

"The only way you can cast a bad light on this, is by focusing microscopically on the worst things you can find." --This, I think, is the heart of our disagreement. The cited deaths are to you "microscopic." They're not part of "the big picture," and it seems inconceivable to you that they could even be introduced into the discourse save by way of fault-finding and self-delusion.

Were you alone in this outlook you might justly be reproved for its callowness and perversity, but of course you are instead a consumer of the reported news, no worse and no better than millions of your fellows--and whereas within your grandfather's lifetime Americans regarded the aerial bombardment of cities with horror and indignation, it's been tactical Holy Writ for a couple of generations now, and no biggie. As Americans we are a simple, generous, impulsive, heavily-armed and rather squeamish people, not notably bloodthirsty, and so we are disposed not to linger over the images of "collateral damage" (itself a deliciously bloodless term of bureaucratic art)--the small, dusty corpses of children, the severed heads, the maimed; all this seems tasteless to bring up at this moment of victory, so beside-the-point, so...microscopic. Your government and your tame domestic press encourage you to avert your eyes. Look, just a block away the happy natives are beating the graven image of the Fallen Foe with their shoes! Now that's the Big Picture!

Well, this just in: the Big Picture, that panorama of civilizations rising and falling, of armies on the march and fleets of mighty bombers--it comes down to its own pointillist microscopic elements, to the individual human beings living, loving, forming families, struggling to get by and occasionally being ground to powder in the clash of forces they are powerless to affect. I'm not suggesting, as you seem to think, that war can be conducted without killing them; I'm not even proposing that war must never be waged without a guarantee of the safety of the innocents. I will further stipulate that, were S. Hussein to be brained next week by falling American ordnance, the quotient of human goodness in the world would rise a tick (the same could be said, to be sure, should the next Killer Pretzel hit its mark). But to dismiss as you do those thousands of newly dead, mutilated, bereaved of whom I've cited a tiny sample as "microscopic," to suggest that they are of negligible concern as against the supposed greater good of "regime change" is to assume a stance in no way superior to that of the planners and pilots of l'affaire du onzi\ufffdme septembre, whose victims, those firemen, financiers, functionaries, cooks and clerks you, I daresay, did not at the time regard as microscopic, were in the eyes of their killers lawful sacrifices to their visions of god and jihad.

Regarding the prospects before us now, I could not improve upon Ashton's recent musings ([link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=95196|http://z.iwethey.org...w?contentid=95196]) on the subject. To the extent this triumph of arms redounds to the political advantage of our own very sinister regime, I freely acknowledge that I begrudge it, but to the extent that an early conclusion brings to an end, or at least dramatically diminishes, the deaths among the combatants and bystanders I warmly endorse it, even should this mean I'm not to be taken seriously as a big picture kinda guy. The emperor does have clothes--but some of us will persist in noticing that the toga's hem is sodden with blood.

cordially,

[edit: kindly formatting suggestions in first paragraph]
Expand Edited by rcareaga April 9, 2003, 02:46:47 PM EDT
New Re: *Sigh*
Americans did not dance for joy, unfurling national flags and toppling statues of leaders on 9/11. The terrorists did not liberate America from an oppressive dictator, who would crush any who dared suggest the thought of opposition.

When someone dies in an act of violence, how their death is perceived depends on why they died.

A soldier's immediate family will mourn, then resolve to honor their memory and the principles they were fighting for. The death of a soldier is treated with respect and reverence.

A civilian dying during a battle for the freedom of their own country; while not a combatant, they are accorded the same remembrance and respect as a soldier. It was inevitable that some should die during the liberation of their country, and the ones who eventually did die will be remembered as a symbol of their country's struggle. They will be thanked by the millions of Iraqis who live on, now free from the nightmare of the last three decades.

The civilians who died on 9/11, and the ones who died under Saddam's rule, died for little or no reason. A purposeless death is the most painful for family members, and stirs up desire for revenge. The word for it is murder. They were the actual target, and their death was the whim of a cruel madman. Their death did nothing for their country, and their relatives are robbed both of their family member in life, and any sense of purpose in their death.
New impervious
When someone dies in an act of violence, how their death is perceived depends on why they died

Maybe by you, buckaroo, but don't project the poverty of your imagination upon the poor bastards there on the ground.

I probably shouldn't have mentioned the World Trade Center, since the lad--predictably, in retrospect--glommed onto it to the exclusion of rational argument. And then,
It was inevitable that some should die during the liberation of their country, and the ones who eventually did die will be remembered as a symbol of their country's struggle. They will be thanked by the millions of Iraqis who live on, now free from the nightmare of the last three decades.

Really, now. It's hard to see what form such thanks might take--what, precisely, are the dead to be thanked for?
[image|http://www.womeninlogistics.org/corpse.jpg||||]
--"Thanks, Sis! If you hadn't taken the top bunk, this coulda been me!" Did this Iraqi death bring the regime one second closer to its end? I mean, if the tyke had sat in Saddam's lap at a photo-op with a satchel charge under her frock that would be one thing, but blasted in half in her sleep by an errant American missile, and then carelessly permitting her remains to be photographed--serving, if anything, to stiffen the foe's resolve--this properly elicits the "thanks" of her survivors? Good god, what a colossally stupid thing to say! Say she'll be mourned, say she'll be remembered, hell, say she'll be forgotten in time, but don't say she'll be thanked. Jesus Christ in a fucking chicken basket...

despairingly,
New Re: impervious
Remember, the Iraqi soldiers have been firing missiles and shells blindly into the air for weeks, using no guidance due to radar-seeking missiles. What goes up must come down. Add to that the presence of GPS jammers, and there is a significant possibilty the fault is on the part of the Iraqi soldiers, who have many times placed civilians in harm's way.

And you're still not getting it. The Iraqis knew that some would probably die. It was a matter of time and place. I'm not saying the individual deaths make any difference in the playout of the war, and they are certainly tragic, but a certain number were going to happen and the Iraqis knew that.

And what resolve, exactly, was stiffened? Have you seen any signs of resolve? Or are you swallowing everything the Information Minister has been saying, and truly beleive the Americans were dying by the thousands on Baghdad's gates? And who is the foe? The only people fighting are ones who have repeatedly proven that they do not value the lives of civilians at all.
New Your words & sentiments are sobering. Thanks it helps.

We all need to be reminded of what happens and what needs to be done when some 'chick got in the way'.

Cheers

Doug Marker

Spectres from our past: Beware the future when your children & theirs come after you for what you may have been willing to condone today - dsm 2003

Motivational: When performing activities, ask yourself if the person you most want to be would do, or say, it - dsm 2003
New Re: Your words & sentiments are sobering. Thanks it helps.
Of course you would latch on to only the last sentence....
New Mit der Dummheit Kampfen Gotter selbst vergebens
(umlauts omitted for the sake of deficient browsers)
New Re: Mit der Dummheit Kampfen Gotter selbst vergebens
Now now, don't be pulling a Brandioch on us!
New you cant tell the difference between German and American?
what foreign language did you study in order to get a bachelors degree.
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]

Since corporations are the equivelent of human but they have no "concience" they are by definition sociopaths
New Re: you cant tell the difference between German and American
Uhm, I'm not sure what your point is. rcareaga's comment was about the gods struggling in vain against the stupid. Bringing to mind certain posings of a certain individual.
New Nicht zutreffend - die G\ufffdtter "\ufffdberlassen ihr Himmel"
     Let us never forget... - (inthane-chan) - (47)
         Re: Let us never forget... - (cybermace5) - (46)
             Please look for response in appropriate place. Thanks. -NT - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                 Your bill, Sir! -NT - (cybermace5)
             Re: Let us never forget... - (rcareaga) - (26)
                 Re: Let us never forget... - (cybermace5) - (24)
                     Re: Let us never forget... - (rcareaga) - (23)
                         *Sigh* - (cybermace5) - (22)
                             Third possibility. - (inthane-chan) - (10)
                                 While you're at it... - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                                     Re: While you're at it... - (cybermace5) - (1)
                                         So? - (inthane-chan)
                                 ICLRPD - (drewk) - (6)
                                     I must admit, I'm rather proud of that line... ;) -NT - (inthane-chan) - (5)
                                         Bah, supposed to have gone to "suggestions" -NT - (drewk)
                                         Re: I must admit, I'm rather proud of that line... ;) - (cybermace5) - (3)
                                             Never saw it. What was it? -NT - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                                                 Re: Never saw it. What was it? - (cybermace5) - (1)
                                                     Yeah, that was pretty good. -NT - (inthane-chan)
                             Re: *Sigh* - (rcareaga) - (10)
                                 Re: *Sigh* - (cybermace5) - (9)
                                     impervious - (rcareaga) - (8)
                                         Re: impervious - (cybermace5) - (7)
                                             Your words & sentiments are sobering. Thanks it helps. - (dmarker) - (6)
                                                 Re: Your words & sentiments are sobering. Thanks it helps. - (cybermace5) - (5)
                                                     Mit der Dummheit Kampfen Gotter selbst vergebens - (rcareaga) - (4)
                                                         Re: Mit der Dummheit Kampfen Gotter selbst vergebens - (cybermace5) - (2)
                                                             you cant tell the difference between German and American? - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                 Re: you cant tell the difference between German and American - (cybermace5)
                                                         Nicht zutreffend - die G\ufffdtter "\ufffdberlassen ihr Himmel" -NT - (Ashton)
                 Not sure about "avenged", but - (Arkadiy)
             Doesn't appear so - (tangaroa) - (16)
                 Re: Doesn't appear so - (cybermace5) - (15)
                     Nice way of changing the subject - (tangaroa) - (14)
                         Re: Nice way of changing the subject - (cybermace5) - (13)
                             Re: Nice way of changing the subject - (tangaroa) - (12)
                                 Re: Nice way of changing the subject - (cybermace5) - (8)
                                     Was that supposed to be a response? - (tangaroa) - (7)
                                         Re: Was that supposed to be a response? - (cybermace5) - (6)
                                             Re: Was that supposed to be a response? - (tangaroa) - (5)
                                                 Re: Was that supposed to be a response? - (cybermace5) - (4)
                                                     And of that impressive list of mouth-'support' - - (Ashton)
                                                     Not correct about Canada - (jake123) - (2)
                                                         Re: Not correct about Canada - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                                             Nice to see some Super-Patriotic Spirit there, Attila :-) - (Ashton)
                                 You're wrong on a few things. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                     Nice. -NT - (cybermace5)
                                     Thanks - (tangaroa)

None shall pass!
126 ms