IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It also occurred to me..
(Some time after... it SHOULD have been obvious, that is)

- that the New Logo\ufffd was Itself in fucking ORANGE and it featured a (obligatory fucking) CLOCK --> pretty well suggesting there might be a clock-WORKs, too.

Boggles the mind that, with all this Doom XXIV, Never Summer Daze.. and such super water-cooled graphics card appendages amongst the 1/0 manipulators - that -

Oh never fucking mind.

Reminds me of a person who used to videotape people talking (with her or among others - part of a kind of therapy).. Her logo was ~~

We look. Often we do not see. Only rarely do we see fully.

It's my belief from all experience since the Osborne1; all the fucking wasted crap-hours working around crap-thought kluges marketed as Insanely Great: THESE FUCKING MACHINES MAY WELL HAVE CREATED PERMANENT MENTAL DISABILITIES across all scales of users, and in many different forms; some No Doubt vitally impairing of normal human capabilites To Imagine, To Ponder.. perhaps occasionally, To Think.

A free PhD thesis anytime someone wants to start 'measuring' -- just give me credit in the Garamonde-Flighty footnotes and PDF the sucker to me. Prepaid.

Ashton

PS - I thought the little altered daily unreality was Peachy Keen. Hell, I could write an essay on what I think.. are the Healthy Effects which this kind of cognitive consonance - might catalyze. Kudos!

Should any more complaints surface, I recommend that you recommend to the one in medium-dudgeon, a certain Apple program I have become aware of. It's called,

Stuff-It
New Computers making us stupid?
I used to be smart, scored high in the top 10% on the ASVAB, and ACT tests. I had been able to write English without too many problems, and I seemed to be able to know what I was talking about.

That was 1986, before I got involved in heavy GUI use and heavy computer use. Apparently, despite getting A's and B's in high school and college, [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=93436|Now I am stupid as well as blind], two IWETHEY'ers can attest to me being stupid. All those hours of looking at the monitor has ruined my eyesight, somehow I was able to get a mental disability and went on Disability. It has all been downhill since 1986. I just keep on getting worse it seems. So there may be something to your statement that "THESE FUCKING MACHINES MAY WELL HAVE CREATED PERMANENT MENTAL DISABILITIES".

"Bill gates cannot guarantee Windows, so how are you going to guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton to the Emperor of the Scarrans on [link|http://www.farscape.com|FarScape]
New Much, much too late.
Wasn't there a Greek fellow many many years ago, Homer perhaps, who thought that writing would be the end of knowledge? His reasoning was that when people didn't have to know how to memorize and recite the Illiad and the Odyssey by heart they'd lose an important part of their intelligence.

He had a point. :-/

Who remembers how to take square roots by hand? Ok, who remembers how to calculate natural logarithms by hand? Alright, who besides Ashton and Ben? :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who used to know how to do that stuff, but now has trouble figuring tips...)
New dont forget drl
I know how to do the roots and logs by hand but the answers will be off. I am more concerned with how to build the folowing items by hand.
wooden wheel
hand lathe
hand drill
rewind a coil
build a capacitor and a battery
build a wind generator and a water pump
things I can do but my kids cannot.
simply smithy work
building a chimney
if you take hitech and factories out how do you keep semi civilized where you dont depend on eating the neighbors. America has lost a tremendous amount of these skills.
thanx,
bill

thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]

Since corporations are the equivelent of human but they have no "concience" they are by definition sociopaths
New D'oh! and The Woodwright's Shop
Yup. I should have remembered deS. See, it's another example of my brain turning to mush because I didn't memorize the Illiad when I had a chance!

I assume you've seen [link|http://www.pbs.org/wws/|The Woodwright's Shop] on PBS? The guy there, Roy Underhill, builds lots and lots of stuff by hand or with machines he's made. Amazing stuff, but it's exhausting to watch him work. I saw one show where he was building a shed from timbers in the woods. By himself. It was painful to watch him straining... But it's a good show.

While losing manufacturing is a very worrying trend in many respects, one very good thing about America being such a huge country and so technologically advanced is that it would be very difficult for things to get to such a state that we'd have to start over. Too many people have Honda generators now... :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New think about replacing a piston ring from scratch :-)
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]

Since corporations are the equivelent of human but they have no "concience" they are by definition sociopaths
New Ever see the one about the pencil?
Someone used a basic #2 pencil as an example. Traced all the people involved to produce it. Back from the manufacturing, through the guys who drive the trucks full of raw materials, through the guys who mine the raw materials, through the guys who manufacture the equipment required for the mining, through the company that makes the gas for the mining equipment, the people who make the equipment for the oil refinery ... etc ... etc ... etc ...

If all the technology went away tomorrow, and we had to start over really from scratch, even if we still had the knowledge we couldn't do it in two lifetimes.
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New Sounds like Burke's "Connections" - entertaining show
-drl
New Extraordinary show
I catch it whenever I can. The older, hour-long version is better than the newer one (Connections II, or some such).

Unfortunately he doesn't write his column in Scientific American any longer.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New pH34R my m4d 600613 sk|llz (new thread)
Created as new thread #94097 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=94097|pH34R my m4d 600613 sk|llz]
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New OH MY DEAR LORD
Now that you say it, Ashton, I realize how many fucking crap hours I've wasted debugging, when I could have been thinking. Or designing tools to increase the efficiency of my business, when I could have been imagining. Or actually helping out a friend, when I could have been pondering.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for enlightening me.
Plus \ufffda change, plus Ashton et deSitter les penseront \ufffdtre le produit d'un certain diable mineur.
New Ce diable mineur est toujours dans les d\ufffdtails.
'pour aider un ami'- un hareng rouge!

..Je pense le monsieur proteste trop ;-)

Chez Ashton
New Tete de merde - je suis un diable MAJEUR
-drl
     Read a book sometime. - (admin) - (71)
         Re: Read a book sometime. - (deSitter) - (61)
             View source. ;-) -NT - (admin)
             Incidentally... - (admin) - (59)
                 It also occurred to me.. - (Ashton) - (12)
                     Computers making us stupid? - (orion)
                     Much, much too late. - (Another Scott) - (7)
                         dont forget drl - (boxley) - (6)
                             D'oh! and The Woodwright's Shop - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                 think about replacing a piston ring from scratch :-) -NT - (boxley) - (4)
                                     Ever see the one about the pencil? - (drewk) - (3)
                                         Sounds like Burke's "Connections" - entertaining show -NT - (deSitter) - (2)
                                             Extraordinary show - (admin)
                                             pH34R my m4d 600613 sk|llz (new thread) - (drewk)
                     OH MY DEAR LORD - (tseliot) - (2)
                         Ce diable mineur est toujours dans les d\ufffdtails. - (Ashton)
                         Tete de merde - je suis un diable MAJEUR -NT - (deSitter)
                 SHIT SCOTT!!! - I'm FUCKING PARANOID (but I enjoyed it :-) - (dmarker) - (45)
                     HEY SCOTT !!!!! - (flame) - (dmarker) - (44)
                         Listen, you really need to get away from this - (jake123) - (42)
                             Scott knows what the point was - (dmarker) - (41)
                                 Clinical paranoia? No. - (admin) - (40)
                                     Re: Clinical paranoia? No. - (dmarker) - (36)
                                         Goddamnit. - (admin) - (35)
                                             Gee Scott don't get hysterical - calm down son - (dmarker) - (34)
                                                 Er, which forum IS this? - (admin) - (33)
                                                     boys, boys... - (rcareaga) - (32)
                                                         Read the forum title, fuckwit. - (admin) - (31)
                                                             (whack!) - (rcareaga) - (28)
                                                                 Re: (whack!) - (admin) - (27)
                                                                     Shut the fuck up Ross, you ignorant fuckwit! - (deSitter) - (24)
                                                                         I will try to depart from this with this last post - (dmarker) - (20)
                                                                             And your answer to Scott in this thread WAS an example of 1. -NT - (CRConrad) - (19)
                                                                                 So Mr Rescuer (look it up) tossing fuel on the fire <g> - (dmarker) - (18)
                                                                                     No "toss", just summing up the facts after your "last" post. -NT - (CRConrad) - (17)
                                                                                         CRC - 'facts' are there is no element of - (dmarker) - (16)
                                                                                             Yeah, sure, but rest assured... - (CRConrad) - (12)
                                                                                                 Screeching silverback slings shit, starts savage gorilla war - (dmarker) - (11)
                                                                                                     Damn cobber - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                                                                         betrter off in HK even the colds carry std's there - (boxley)
                                                                                                     So, trying to make a joke of it, eh? Too fucking bad... - (CRConrad) - (8)
                                                                                                         Can I - (screamer) - (6)
                                                                                                             ObSentientLRPD: "Possibly." -NT - (inthane-chan)
                                                                                                             Depends... - (CRConrad) - (4)
                                                                                                                 \ufffd Snidely Whiplash - (Ashton) - (3)
                                                                                                                     No, gotta admit I don't... - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                                                                                                         You don't know "Dudley Do-Right"?!?! - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                                                                             "Oh, my darling Clementine..." - (CRConrad)
                                                                                                         Penalty flag - ecological Super-Fund site - (Ashton)
                                                                                             Give it up already - (orion) - (2)
                                                                                                 10 points - your post & advice good <g> -NT - (dmarker)
                                                                                                 12 points for self-effacing *aptness* :-\ufffd -NT - (Ashton)
                                                                         Let me try... Screamer, you suck... - (screamer) - (2)
                                                                             Dare-I deride?___Dorky Doddering Dreck, disdainfully dawdles - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                                 Ashton consecutively, disturbingly, eloquent Brown. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                                     OT re Mr. MM - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                         His English was better when he took the time. - (admin)
                                                             Lotta crap hanging around in this - (screamer) - (1)
                                                                 {Oooooh.. gotta *savor* This One for_____later}__munchies! -NT - (Ashton)
                                     gwielo ate too many dog ears in his dim sum - (boxley) - (2)
                                         Run away Bill, Scott is a big boy ! -NT - (dmarker)
                                         gwielo ate too many dog ears in his dim sum (new thread) - (boxley)
                         ? -NT - (admin)
         Re: Read a book sometime. - (rcareaga) - (2)
             Very... I say... Very, uh, well stated. -NT - (folkert)
             Well, I didn't, either. - (CRConrad)
         Perspective - (kmself) - (4)
             Stuff it. - (admin) - (3)
                 Lookink ferverts to die nookste yeere bork -NT - (deSitter) - (2)
                     You say that now... - (admin) - (1)
                         Oh Gevd, zeen oonly CRC cuoold pley.. -NT - (Ashton)
         Don't know how to reply here without getting pulled in - (tseliot)

The haddock hits me with a sucker punch. I catch him with a left hook. He eels over. It was a fluke, but there he was, lying on the deck... flat as a mackerel. Kelpless.
286 ms