IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Libraries - remember those?
So you'd want to be able to compile some of your program in Sun's Java, some in J Builder, and some in Visual J++, and have them all work together? Yeah, right.

But this does work. The binary format of java classes is strictly defined. Unlike the binary format of C++ "objects" or the name mangling schemes.

People get jar files (java's version of a library) all the time. It doesn't matter if they're compiled with jikes or sun's java compiler, they all work. C++ was the first language to toss binary interoperability out the window.

I think that it's extraordinarily important that we in computer science keep fun in computing. When it started out, it was an awful lot of fun. Of course, the paying customer got shafted every now and then, and after a while we began to take their complaints seriously. We began to feel as if we really were responsible for the successful, error-free perfect use of these machines. I don't think we are. I think we're responsible for stretching them, setting them off in new directions, and keeping fun in the house. I hope the field of computer science never loses its sense of fun. Above all, I hope we don't become missionaries. Don't feel as if you're Bible salesmen. The world has too many of those already. What you know about computing other people will learn. Don't feel as if the key to successful computing is only in your hands. What's in your hands, I think and hope, is intelligence: the ability to see the machine as more than when you were first led up to it, that you can make it more.

--Alan Perlis
New Exactly.
C, Fortran, whatever... pretty much anything OTHER than C++ that creates a .so will all work together.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Reality check: why libraries matter:
I have STLPort compiled under gcc 2.95.2.

I want to use it under the Intel compiler to test the bug I noted in the other thread. However, because of the name mangling, I can't do that: I have to recompile the library under the Intel compiler now. And once I've done that, I won't be able to use it with gcc any longer.

*grumble*
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
     Re: There is NOTHING wrong with pointers! - (admin) - (46)
         Re: There is NOTHING wrong with pointers! - (dshellman) - (5)
             Cross-platform can be nasty. - (admin)
             Er,...really? - (jb4) - (3)
                 Java pointer problems - (ChrisR) - (2)
                     OT: threading - (admin)
                     Just a nit - (dshellman)
         Re: There is NOTHING wrong with pointers! - (deSitter) - (1)
             Re: There is NOTHING wrong with pointers! - (admin)
         I guess I don't see the problems with the compiler - (jb4) - (33)
             Hmmmm - seems this thread got derailed due to ... - (dmarker) - (27)
                 Java isn't a systems language at all, IMO. - (admin) - (26)
                     I sure wouldn't use Java for Systems work - (dmarker) - (25)
                         Which brings up the point: what IS systems work - (admin) - (24)
                             The other aspect is... - (ChrisR) - (18)
                                 Stroustrup has a great quote about that: - (admin)
                                 Which is why C/C++ can be easily integrated with anything - (Arkadiy) - (16)
                                     *C* is the lingua franca. - (admin) - (15)
                                         ObjectiveC++ - (tuberculosis)
                                         Welcom to my nightmare! - (jb4) - (13)
                                             ABI: Application Binary Interface - (admin) - (12)
                                                 I used to think Direct To SOM compilers would fix this - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                                     Some progress has been made. - (admin)
                                                 Snide remark and a question - (jb4) - (5)
                                                     Snide response. - (admin)
                                                     Libraries - remember those? - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                         Exactly. - (admin)
                                                         Reality check: why libraries matter: - (admin)
                                                     Libraries - remember those? - (tuberculosis)
                                                 a day late and a dollar short...but extern "C" - (Simon_Jester) - (3)
                                                     For a 3rd party module? No. - (admin) - (2)
                                                         If you export C++ mangled functions, you're screwed. - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                                             Or, rather: Export C++ mangled functions in a lib you sell.. - (CRConrad)
                             Simple - (deSitter)
                             No - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                                 But, in the hands of a good programmer, it's a sharp tool. - (admin) - (1)
                                     Like Cathie Ryan said... - (Arkadiy)
                             Friend of a Friend - (tuberculosis)
             Re: I guess I don't see the problems with the compiler - (admin) - (2)
                 OK, here's where we agree to disagree, and agree to agree... - (jb4) - (1)
                     Re: OK, here's where we agree to disagree, and agree to agre - (admin)
             Geronimo! - (tuberculosis)
             Attacking Java doesn't make C++ better - (tuberculosis)
         does the content of this thread indicate Bryce is right? :-) -NT - (boxley) - (3)
             Inasmuch as: - (admin)
             C++ implements OO programming - (tuberculosis)
             Not at all. - (static)

Red Rover, Red Rover, Bob Lazar's comin' over.
147 ms