IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New looks like me when they announce free booze at the meeting
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]
"Fifty-one percent of a nation can establish a totalitarian regime, suppress minorities and still remain democratic." Correction: All that can be achieved with 51 percent of the voters!" Ilanna Mercer
New YM "when they announce free booze at the *AAA* meeting"? :-)
New the Automobile Association of America?
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]
"Fifty-one percent of a nation can establish a totalitarian regime, suppress minorities and still remain democratic." Correction: All that can be achieved with 51 percent of the voters!" Ilanna Mercer
New You know what I *meant*, dammit! :-/
Uh, only two 'A's, eh?

Shit, I'm so drunk I can hardly see to type... And, hey, I'm only the treasurer of my local chapter -- it's not as if I were its president or anything... :-)
   Christian R. Conrad
Microsoft is a true reflection of Bill Gates' personality - the sleaziest, most unethical, ugliest little rat's ass the world has seen unto this time.
-- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=42971|Andrew Grygus]
New difference between a drunk and an alcoholic
drunks dont hafta go to those dam meetings. :-)
what the hell are you doing up so late anyway? Another of those blasted vacations you euro's get every other month?
thanx,
bill
New DAMM
Drunks Against Mad Mothers

A
Play I Some Music w/ Papa Andy
Saturday 8 PM - 11 PM ET
All Night Rewind 11 PM - 5 PM
Reggae, African and Caribbean Music
[link|http://wxxe.org|Tune In]
New Actually, yes, I've been having this week off.
But no, not quite
Another of those blasted vacations you euro's get every other month?
-- we don't, really.

This was just the last of my four weeks' vacation from last summer; I only got around to taking three of them actually during the summer.

Spent it doing a bit of re-decorating here at Anki's -- or, I guess I should say "our" -- pad; put up some nice new wallpaper in the bedroom and living room.
   Christian R. Conrad
Microsoft is a true reflection of Bill Gates' personality - the sleaziest, most unethical, ugliest little rat's ass the world has seen unto this time.
-- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=42971|Andrew Grygus]
New wall paper is nice to put up and a nightmare to remove
decorating tip. Fabric comes in more colors and patterns than wall paer and with a staple gun is faster to put up and a snap to come down.
thanx,
bill
New Actually, you don't have to remove it; at least...
...usually, not all of it.

I've done this shit quite a few times before -- we moved around a lot when I was a kid, usually into old slightly run-down apartments or houses -- but then, of course, only as a "handyman"; the main helper to my Dad, who was the "master craftsman".

Back then, the old wallpaper was usually actual ordinary flat paper (like the ones we put up). On that, you can just put new wallpaper right over the old -- why would you want to take it off for? (Oh, sure, it robs you of some space... Is that what you mean? Like, put up a few hundred layers, and before you know it your room will be an inch or two smaller! :-)

And nowadays, these slightly structured surfaces they often have are made of some other material -- either some vinyl-type plastic, or a different kind of paper laminated on -- so they're "splittable": Wet them with a sponge, fiddle around[*] so you get a hold of only the top layer, and then you can easily pull that off in great big swathes, often the whole width of the wallpaper at once, leaving the backing paper as a nice clean perfect surface to put new wallpaper on (OK: or to paint). No prob, really[+].

Probably a lot cheaper than fabric, too.

[*]: Hurt my thumb that way, though: The easiest and best way, I thought at first, of "fiddling around" was to *rub* the (wet) surface with the ball of my thumb... I thought, until it turned out it was just as easy to rub off the top layer of *the skin of my thumb* that way! :-/ And not *just* the top layer, either: Turned out you just can't not use your thumb, so the *next* (and much thicker) layer went, too... And *that* REALLY hurt! :-(

[+]: Well... "No prob", *once you find out* that that's the way it works. Which, in my case, was only *after* I'd ripped my way through four layers of old wallpaper; in a couple patches, all the way down to bare concrete. :-( ... Oh well -- main thing is, I *did* find it out, so I only had to gob on filler and sand down (and gob on some more filler and sand it down again) on one single wall (in the bedroom), after having pretty much ruined it. But once you know the trick, it really is a piece of cake.
   Christian R. Conrad
New Don't listen to boxley...
Ok, the fabric can work. It's a decent idea.
Putting up wallpaper is a fucking disaster waiting to happen. It aint reasonable stuff to work with. Have somebody else do it. If it works, enjoy it. If it is a clusterfuck, it's a SEP. Then scrape the wall and paint it.
I've been wonderfully married for just over 18 years, and the only major fights we've had have been over STUPID FUCKING WALLPAPER.
If you get really involved with wallpaper, it's probably easier to burn down the house...

This, of course, is only my opinion. There are probably those who like putting up wallpaper... or burning down houses... I'm not really into that freaky shit.

Just a few thoughts as DR would say.
Hugh

If you go for the burn, use a roller with kerosene on the walls and use SCUBA gear to breath while you're 'painting' or you won't get out in time.

Or so I've heard...
New Oh, don't worry - what makes you think I *ever* do? :-)
Ok, the fabric can work. It's a decent idea.
Hmmyeah... Well, OK, maybe. We just didn't happen to go with it. (At least this time around! :-)

Putting up wallpaper is a fucking disaster waiting to happen. It aint reasonable stuff to work with.
Well, no -- but neither am I, so it's a fair match-up! (One that I won, this time! :-)

Have somebody else do it.
Bah!

What fucking kind of man can't put up his own *wallpaper*?!?

If it works, enjoy it. If it is a clusterfuck, it's a SEP.
What's a "SEP"?

Then scrape the wall and paint it.
Yep, we considered going that way to begin with. "Pro", it's easier; "Con", it's messier; on the whole, it's about as much work.

Yes, those thicker (plasticky-feeling) modern wallpapers can be a bit clumsy to handle; the thinner, old-fashioned, plain-papery ones are a little easier in that respect. Easier to rip, too, though. One thing I noticed was, the instructions in the package say to put both kinds up edge-to-edge nowadays; I knew that's how to do it with the thick plasticky ones, but when I was a kid, the thin papery ones went on with a little bit of overlap. Felt weird, but seemed to work...

Here's a real killer of a tip to make the work of putting up wallpaper easier, BTW: Do one of those "fancy-looking" decors with different papers on the upper and lower halves of the wall and one of those horizontal border thingies as a divider. Yes, you get twice as many pieces of paper to handle, but each half-length piece is MUCH MORE THAN TWICE as easy to handle as a full-length one.

Looks pretty nice, too. (We did that in the bedroom. :-)

Oh, yeah, one more advantage to it: You can do the work all by yourself (which IMO is well-nigh impossible with full-length pieces) -- no need to intimidate your wife by barking orders at her on how to position the lower half. (Come to think of it, this may be the *main* advantage of doing it that way.)

A couple more tips, while I'm at it:
  • Cut up *all* the pieces you're going to need *before* you start spreading glue on the first one (so you won't have to put them face-down on your gluey work-table too much).
  • Cut them long enough to be able to adjust them height-wise to fit the pattern. (I cut it *almost* a hair too fine in this respect.)
  • Put tape along your ceiling and foot-board, so the extra bits you cut off later (no use trying to cut before the glue's dried; wet paper can't be cut, it only gets ugly rips) won't get glued on there and have to be laboriously scraped off. (Not that this occurred to me until *after* we were finished...)
Do all that, and I really don't think that it should be much of a problem.

I've been wonderfully married for just over 18 years, and the only major fights we've had have been over STUPID FUCKING WALLPAPER.
Heh -- I took the easy way out, and let Anki decide. :-)

Oh, sure, I would have protested if she'd chosen something really horrible; but fortunately, Anki has pretty good taste (i.e, similar to mine :-). And I honestly think this kind of stuff is often more important to women -- personally, it doesn't really matter all *that* much to me.

If you get really involved with wallpaper, it's probably easier to burn down the house...

This, of course, is only my opinion. There are probably those who like putting up wallpaper... or burning down houses... I'm not really into that freaky shit.

[...]

If you go for the burn, use a roller with kerosene on the walls and use SCUBA gear to breath while you're 'painting' or you won't get out in time.

Or so I've heard...
They call you "mr Radical Solution Man"? :-)
   Christian R. Conrad
New Hey, this is the fun forum.. ~flame..
SEP is Someone Else's Problem... Hitchhiker's Guide, not sure which one.
I *CAN* put up wallpaper... it's just better for all concerned if someone else does it. Somebody who likes that kind of stuff gets some employment, I now have some free time to take my lady and the dogs to the park or whatever, the wall still gets papered, and there have been no fights. My lady has excellent decorating talents and I rarely question her decisions. She does tend to like the ornate metalic papers which have a habit of falling back off the wall and tearing while I am trying to brush the air bubbles out of the lower end of the paper. It just pisses me off. Better if someone else does it.
I have no problem running new pipes, putting in toilets and vanities and such. I am willing to rewire rooms to handle air conditioners or overhead fans and such. I can do a reasonable job of cabinet making and installation. I can work concrete if I have to. I just hate wallpaper... it's one of my *things*.
Oh yes.. I don't really burn down houses or even seriously advocate it. I have an engineering degree from a reasonably good school and feel free to theorize... Yes Virginia, there IS a mad bomber...
Ok, that may not be funny any more, but I used to like it.
Cheers,
Hugh
New The m.b. reference was a Gahan Wilson cartoon...
New Wallpaper, wallpaper, every except where it's logical
Some moron of previous owner of my house wallpapered the bloody bathrooms. Hey, kids, guess what long exposure to moisture (from showers, from baths, whatever) does to the glue holding wallpaper onto the wall in a bathroom?
New It was a M/Soft spinoff.. keep buying those annual upgrades!
New Letting it peel naturally
Eventually it'll fall down by itself and I'll be able to paint or affix tile, whichever seems more appropriate.
     Democrats idea of tax refund. (for beep) - (a6l6e6x) - (27)
         Pretty close... - (bepatient)
         Did it ever occur to you - (andread) - (25)
             Did somebody forget what forum this was? -NT - (bepatient) - (3)
                 That's a bingo! -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                     Mine was at least as funny as yours -NT - (andread) - (1)
                         Another Bingo!_____;-) - (Ashton)
             me me me - (boxley) - (20)
                 Re: me me me - (andread) - (19)
                     wmd thats new to me? -NT - (boxley) - (18)
                         Think Steve Ballmer. - (Another Scott) - (17)
                             I saved that clip.. - (Ashton)
                             looks like me when they announce free booze at the meeting -NT - (boxley) - (15)
                                 YM "when they announce free booze at the *AAA* meeting"? :-) -NT - (CRConrad) - (14)
                                     the Automobile Association of America? -NT - (boxley) - (13)
                                         You know what I *meant*, dammit! :-/ - (CRConrad) - (12)
                                             difference between a drunk and an alcoholic - (boxley) - (11)
                                                 DAMM - (andread)
                                                 Actually, yes, I've been having this week off. - (CRConrad) - (9)
                                                     wall paper is nice to put up and a nightmare to remove - (boxley) - (1)
                                                         Actually, you don't have to remove it; at least... - (CRConrad)
                                                     Don't listen to boxley... - (hnick) - (6)
                                                         Oh, don't worry - what makes you think I *ever* do? :-) - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                                             Hey, this is the fun forum.. ~flame.. - (hnick) - (1)
                                                                 The m.b. reference was a Gahan Wilson cartoon... -NT - (hnick)
                                                         Wallpaper, wallpaper, every except where it's logical - (wharris2) - (2)
                                                             It was a M/Soft spinoff.. keep buying those annual upgrades! -NT - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                 Letting it peel naturally - (wharris2)

Wanted: Web developer, command line junkie getting his freak on.
152 ms