IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Auto racing as a sport
"Racing is the only sport. All the rest are games."

Can't remember who said it, and I don't completely agree, but interesting data point from a participant.
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
New Additionally
I don't think that it would be as dangerous as it is, if it weren't for real.

Ask Ayrton Senna, Roland Ratzenberger, and more recently, Dale Earnhardt, about that.

Racing is indeed the only other sport besides cricket.
--
Peter
Shill For Hire
New Re: Auto racing as a sport
There isn't the same physical demand on the body in auto racing like it is on the other sports I mentioned previously. That's why I don't consider auto racing a sport. I wouldn't call it a game like golf though.

Competitive cycling however is a sport.
lister
New Ya don't think?
Well, all them F1 drivers seem to spend a helluva lot of time getting ultra-fit for SOMETHING...

Driving at an average speed of 160MPH for 2 hours in a car with ~5mm travel in the suspension, pulling up to 3 or 4 Gs in the corners is *extremely* physically demanding.
--
Peter
Shill For Hire
New Re: Ya don't think?
Well a fat guy certainly isn't going to fit into the tight little cockpit.

It still is though different physical demands that in my mind makes it not a sport. As I said auto racing is debateable.

What about sky diving? Is that a sport? I consider it lunacy myself. :-)
New I would beg to differ
There isn't the same physical demand on the body in auto racing like it is on the other sports I mentioned previously.

There's probably more physical demand placed on the body in an autorace than in a baseball game, for example.

I consider it a sport because it does involve competition as well as a high level of physical and mental skill and endurance
Jay O'Connor

"Going places unmapped
to do things unplanned
to people unsuspecting"
New Re: I would beg to differ
That's a bad example for me. I don't even like baseball very much. :-) Watching it that is. Playing it for fun is a different story.

You're still not going to convince me otherwise.
New Don't matter
That's a bad example for me. I don't even like baseball very much. :-)

But is it a sport? I don't like baseketball or hockey, but I don't deny they are sports. My point was to compare autoracing to something generally considerd a sport that doesn't require as much physical exertion as auto-racing
Jay O'Connor

"Going places unmapped
to do things unplanned
to people unsuspecting"
New I would beg to differ
There isn't the same physical demand on the body in auto racing like it is on the other sports I mentioned previously.

There's probably more physical demand placed on the body in an autorace than in a baseball game, for example.

I consider it a sport because it does involve competition as well as a high level of physical and mental skill and endurance
Jay O'Connor

"Going places unmapped
to do things unplanned
to people unsuspecting"
     relocating post to correct area - (boxley) - (29)
         Not really. - (Fearless Freep) - (28)
             and round and round we go - (boxley) - (27)
                 Re: and round and round we go - (Fearless Freep) - (26)
                     Hmmmm. Some could discuss it - (wharris2) - (25)
                         Are you ready to rumble? - (ChrisR) - (24)
                             I would say... - (Fearless Freep) - (23)
                                 lets use your description - (boxley) - (22)
                                     Now *that's* a stretch - (Fearless Freep) - (6)
                                         having raced for money although not much - (boxley) - (5)
                                             I'm in if I get a mid-60's Chrysler Imperial! :-) - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                 banned in IDDA (great cars) -NT - (boxley)
                                             Sure - (Fearless Freep) - (2)
                                                 of course there is competition - (boxley) - (1)
                                                     yeah ,yeah, you said before - (Fearless Freep)
                                     Re: lets use your description - (lister) - (14)
                                         The whole reason - (Fearless Freep) - (4)
                                             Ah! I don't read the Entertainment forum - (lister)
                                             Fornicating - (deSitter) - (2)
                                                 why do ya think they call it a sporting house?:) -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                     Now that's an Olympic event I'd pay to see - (DonRichards)
                                         Re: Auto racing as a sport - (drewk) - (8)
                                             Additionally - (pwhysall)
                                             Re: Auto racing as a sport - (lister) - (6)
                                                 Ya don't think? - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                     Re: Ya don't think? - (lister)
                                                 I would beg to differ - (Fearless Freep) - (2)
                                                     Re: I would beg to differ - (lister) - (1)
                                                         Don't matter - (Fearless Freep)
                                                 I would beg to differ - (Fearless Freep)

My brain hurts thinking about how you know all of that.
108 ms