IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Auto racing as a sport
There isn't the same physical demand on the body in auto racing like it is on the other sports I mentioned previously. That's why I don't consider auto racing a sport. I wouldn't call it a game like golf though.

Competitive cycling however is a sport.
lister
New Ya don't think?
Well, all them F1 drivers seem to spend a helluva lot of time getting ultra-fit for SOMETHING...

Driving at an average speed of 160MPH for 2 hours in a car with ~5mm travel in the suspension, pulling up to 3 or 4 Gs in the corners is *extremely* physically demanding.
--
Peter
Shill For Hire
New Re: Ya don't think?
Well a fat guy certainly isn't going to fit into the tight little cockpit.

It still is though different physical demands that in my mind makes it not a sport. As I said auto racing is debateable.

What about sky diving? Is that a sport? I consider it lunacy myself. :-)
New I would beg to differ
There isn't the same physical demand on the body in auto racing like it is on the other sports I mentioned previously.

There's probably more physical demand placed on the body in an autorace than in a baseball game, for example.

I consider it a sport because it does involve competition as well as a high level of physical and mental skill and endurance
Jay O'Connor

"Going places unmapped
to do things unplanned
to people unsuspecting"
New Re: I would beg to differ
That's a bad example for me. I don't even like baseball very much. :-) Watching it that is. Playing it for fun is a different story.

You're still not going to convince me otherwise.
New Don't matter
That's a bad example for me. I don't even like baseball very much. :-)

But is it a sport? I don't like baseketball or hockey, but I don't deny they are sports. My point was to compare autoracing to something generally considerd a sport that doesn't require as much physical exertion as auto-racing
Jay O'Connor

"Going places unmapped
to do things unplanned
to people unsuspecting"
New I would beg to differ
There isn't the same physical demand on the body in auto racing like it is on the other sports I mentioned previously.

There's probably more physical demand placed on the body in an autorace than in a baseball game, for example.

I consider it a sport because it does involve competition as well as a high level of physical and mental skill and endurance
Jay O'Connor

"Going places unmapped
to do things unplanned
to people unsuspecting"
     relocating post to correct area - (boxley) - (29)
         Not really. - (Fearless Freep) - (28)
             and round and round we go - (boxley) - (27)
                 Re: and round and round we go - (Fearless Freep) - (26)
                     Hmmmm. Some could discuss it - (wharris2) - (25)
                         Are you ready to rumble? - (ChrisR) - (24)
                             I would say... - (Fearless Freep) - (23)
                                 lets use your description - (boxley) - (22)
                                     Now *that's* a stretch - (Fearless Freep) - (6)
                                         having raced for money although not much - (boxley) - (5)
                                             I'm in if I get a mid-60's Chrysler Imperial! :-) - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                 banned in IDDA (great cars) -NT - (boxley)
                                             Sure - (Fearless Freep) - (2)
                                                 of course there is competition - (boxley) - (1)
                                                     yeah ,yeah, you said before - (Fearless Freep)
                                     Re: lets use your description - (lister) - (14)
                                         The whole reason - (Fearless Freep) - (4)
                                             Ah! I don't read the Entertainment forum - (lister)
                                             Fornicating - (deSitter) - (2)
                                                 why do ya think they call it a sporting house?:) -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                     Now that's an Olympic event I'd pay to see - (DonRichards)
                                         Re: Auto racing as a sport - (drewk) - (8)
                                             Additionally - (pwhysall)
                                             Re: Auto racing as a sport - (lister) - (6)
                                                 Ya don't think? - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                     Re: Ya don't think? - (lister)
                                                 I would beg to differ - (Fearless Freep) - (2)
                                                     Re: I would beg to differ - (lister) - (1)
                                                         Don't matter - (Fearless Freep)
                                                 I would beg to differ - (Fearless Freep)

Department of Redundancy Department
57 ms