IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New How many admins out there?
Shah said the deletion of old sent messages is part of Microsoft's plan to help people manage their e-mail, adding the company figured "if it's 30 days or older, it's probably safe to go ahead and delete that."
I'm currently going through email from 1997 and checking to make sure that the people still don't need it. :)

No one I know of wants any help managing their email.
New I was always famous for saving Email
Wherever I went, I would keep my old Email. I used to have Email (unwisely, as it turns out, stored/forwarded/whatever at work) dating from 1987 until the IT people couldn't or wouldn't restore my home directory when a disk crashed. (I think it's "couldn't", but I suppose it was time I weeded out Email from people I'd not seen for a dozen years.) (But forced non-selective weeding sucks.)

Not sure if that sucks more than having to move to Microsoft Exchange.

The lawyers would mostly rather be what they are than get out of the way even if the cost was Hammerfall. - Jerry Pournelle
New My dbase also.
Odd to hear that you are considered a maverick for doing so. Properly sorted into relevant folders - lots of exchanges are the history of certain events. No retyping, summarizing, silly notes needed: you have the Originals.

Obviously those dependent upon others' servers and arbitrary judgments: no longer can rely upon this method.

Small prediction then: those with the smarts to see the value in saving at least certain messages in a somewhat organized way - will be saving these on local storage / burning CDs periodically. This will take more handling time and slow access considerably. (Of course too, lock-in to a particular mail-format is the same concern here as - trusting anything permanent to any M$ format.)

As to Hotmail and M$' fruitless attempts to get people to move to the paid 'service' (0.3% so far..) -- well, what did anyone expect of M$: customer concern as a prority ?! I can't *imagine* the naivete of the ones whining about having left un-Backed-up material THERE forever.

Oh well - it's just words.

Ashton
New More complications
Nowdays, there comes "document retention" policies into play. Retain (even CYA stuff) beyond two or three years and you may be called on the carpet. If life were fair, Bill and Microsoft would still be regretting not having a three-year (or whatever) shredding (even of backup tapes) policy.

Life isn't fair and the DOJ is choosing to ignore "knife the baby" Email, oh well.
The lawyers would mostly rather be what they are than get out of the way even if the cost was Hammerfall. - Jerry Pournelle
New admins out here
delete sent mail all the time
there is a notice that appears in the inbox that the items have been put in deleted folder
if you don't clean up the deleted folder those messages may go to
1.5 MB limit

A
Play I Some Music w/ Papa Andy
Saturday 8 PM - 11 PM ET
All Night Rewind 11 PM - 5 PM
Reggae, African and Caribbean Music
[link|http://wxxe.org|Tune In]
New You serious?
Some "sent mail" I have sent has been important for years. I save sent mail both for information and for CYA; important stuff that somehow never got into product documentation, or something someone says I told them to do something (which I didn't) and I forward the (saved) mail in which I explicitly say DON'T DO THAT, generally ends any argument.

Of course that can be faked, but I've never had anyone claim I faked the sent mail I saved. And since everyone knows I save all my mail since the Beginning of Time (or as close as I can get to that), I don't think I've ever had more than a couple "you never said" arguments.
New not the end of the world
messages can be saved elsewhere than 'in' email
even the lowliest copmputer illiterate here has a strategy for managing mail that doesn't involve the corporate server

A
Saturday 8 PM - 11 PM ET
New True.
My point was that a major change of policy like this 'sprung' on users is at best poor management.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New It wasn't totally 'sprung'
From the [link|http://news.com.com/2100-1023-946430.html|article]:
MSN product manager Parul Shah said that at least the company warned people before trashing the messages. In mid-June, the company sent out an e-mail that included notification that old messages in the Sent file would be deleted, Shah said.
Sounds like they had enough warning.
===
Microsoft offers them the one thing most business people will pay any price for - the ability to say "we had no choice - everyone's doing it that way." -- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=38978|Andrew Grygus]
New Yup.
You're right. I should have done more than skim the article.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New Nobody has yet admitted to seeing that message.
Maybe it came out right after the spam was let loose, so all the mailboxes were full and it got bounced - or at least that's an excuse Microsoft can use.

"If you'd cleaned out your box, you'd have gotten the message - so you see why we have to delete stuff to help you keep your box clean".
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New I use hotmail and I don't read them anymore.
MS sends way too much spam to the hotmail users. I just delete everything I see from them now without opening it.
New Re: Nobody has yet admitted to seeing that message.
I think I got it
at least I removed all the mail from my sent folder at hotmail and into another email address

A
Saturday 8 PM - 11 PM ET
     Don't use hotmail - (imric) - (37)
         How many admins out there? - (Brandioch) - (12)
             I was always famous for saving Email - (wharris2) - (2)
                 My dbase also. - (Ashton) - (1)
                     More complications - (wharris2)
             admins out here - (andread) - (8)
                 You serious? - (wharris2) - (7)
                     not the end of the world - (andread) - (6)
                         True. - (imric) - (5)
                             It wasn't totally 'sprung' - (drewk) - (4)
                                 Yup. - (imric)
                                 Nobody has yet admitted to seeing that message. - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                     I use hotmail and I don't read them anymore. - (Brandioch)
                                     Re: Nobody has yet admitted to seeing that message. - (andread)
         News flash! - (inthane-chan)
         Survival of the fittest - (Andrew Grygus)
         I'd like not to - (orion) - (18)
             Stop using it... - (kmself) - (17)
                 I let mine die. - (pwhysall)
                 Wish I could - (orion) - (15)
                     Wrong question - (kmself) - (9)
                         What is the right things anyway? - (orion) - (8)
                             Does it have an auto-responder? - (static) - (1)
                                 Not that I can find - (orion)
                             Wrong question - (kmself) - (5)
                                 Everything I do is wrong - (orion) - (4)
                                     That would be a wrong decision. - (Andrew Grygus)
                                     Everything you DO is right, my friend! -NT - (imric)
                                     Failure is a great learning tool - (kmself) - (1)
                                         As long as you learn from it - (ben_tilly)
                     Do what I did - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                         They're probably hitting 'reply' on old mail . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                             I've done that - (orion) - (1)
                                 No, you don't. - (static)
                             That is what I did the second time around - (ben_tilly)
         We need another reason? -NT - (static)
         I just use it to pick up teenaged girls online :-P - (tuberculosis) - (1)
             A joke? I'll say... - (imric)

I made you eggs. Straight from my womb to your plate!
149 ms