IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Was any research actually conducted?
I like to think he isn't just giving an opinion and supporting it with numbers pulled out of his ass. It could be hard to verify the contention that 'conservative' is used to describe more often than 'liberal' on network news. Where are the transcripts? What is the source of the study he used to get these numbers?

For a different take, and with methodology explained, try [link|http://www.prospect.org/print/V13/8/nunberg-g.html|this] survey of print articles.
"We are patriotic citizens too. Patriotism means 'love of country',
caring about its people, its ecosystem, and others around us. Not giving
blind loyalty and a blank check to George W. Bush. We are patriotic enough
to care about the long term effects instead of just the short term gain.

Therefore it is our patriotic duty to guard our country and our constitution
against people and forces hiding behind the flag."

-Jello Biafra
New Goldberg appears...
...to be giving anectodal evidence...what he >felt< on the inside.

The website looked as if they hac conducted a study or 2.

You would be very hard pressed to tell me that there isn't liberal bias in print...at least the Philadelphia Inquirer. They don't even pretend.

You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New That's not what I'm saying
Of course individual news orgs have their own bias. Left or right. Just as individual reporters have their own bias. The rightwing campaign to label "the media" as having a liberal bias is where my objection lies. After 10 years of enduring "the media's" fascination with Clinton's zipper I find it hard to see the liberal bias so often touted.

I think even you will admit to the rightwing bias found on radio (in general, on syndicated talk shows).

As for television, can you say "Monica"? My anecdotal evidence is that I >feel< the TV news and opinion shows are saturated with conservative viewpoints. I will give you one thing, though. The entertainment shows are skewed liberal by a large margin.
"We are patriotic citizens too. Patriotism means 'love of country',
caring about its people, its ecosystem, and others around us. Not giving
blind loyalty and a blank check to George W. Bush. We are patriotic enough
to care about the long term effects instead of just the short term gain.

Therefore it is our patriotic duty to guard our country and our constitution
against people and forces hiding behind the flag."

-Jello Biafra
New America is bi-polar.
I will give you one thing, though. The entertainment shows are skewed liberal by a large margin.

This is the thing that fascinates me the most. Given a choice to watch something that is "the way we want things to be" Muricans always prefer the liberal to the conservative. We want the real west wing to be like the tv show, we want a President and White House staff like the fictional one (smart, concerned with the little guy, and liberal). The producers of all tv shows know that conservative views are unpopular (with cause, I might add). Yet, there is an alarming number of Muricans who vote for conservatives who are no where near wealthy enough to benefit from any of their policies. It makes no sense: they want liberal and vote conservative.
New To the extent that is true..
I don't think you can ignore the "self-flagellation" component of Puritanism ie "if I vote for what I Really Want... I might experience pleasure..

Sample re (IIRC) a Sinclair Lewis novel, in which is decribed an autocrat with his family at dinner. The kid doesn't want to eat _x_ and the father wants him to. Finally wife says, "oh let him eat what he wants..!" Father explodes, "IN MY ENTIRE LIFE I'VE NEVER DONE A SINGLE THING I WANTED TO DO.."

Yes exaggerated, yet - have heard such a rationale (once stripped of self-serving euphemism) in those 'explaining'.. how it was that, serially they chose:

abusive spouses. As below so above (to paraphrase).

Funny species.

Ashton
New Good Point and one I hadn't considered.
I guess that's why so much of Christian doctrine makes no sense to me.
New Interesting you should post that link...
when I did a Google search I found this link...
[link|http://www.mrc.org/realitycheck/2002/fax20020625.asp|eerie, huh?]

Like Mark Twain says... There are lies, damn lies and statistics

Or even better... (They) use statistics like a drunk uses a lamppost. More for support than illumination.
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer
New The only one that comes close to as many hits
as Media Research is Fair Play (www.fair.org) using other search engines. Most of these sites link to eachother. Either this is a grass roots web effort, or there is something fishy about this...

I read a bunch of articles on Fair Play and have to admit, it's hard to defend Brokaw, Rather and the Today Show. It's pretty obvious that these anchors have an agenda.

The thing that pisses me off the most in all of this, is that these folks are completely mislabled. There is no liberal media bias, there is a Democratic Party media bias. As a liberal, it pisses me off to be associated with the Democratic party with such a broad brush. There hasn't been a liberal bias in this country since the 30's. /Rant
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

You need rhino skin
If you're gonna begin
To walk
Through this world
You need elephant balls
If you don't want to crawl
On your hands
Through this world

Oh my love if I reveal
Every secret I've concealed
How many thoughts would you steal
How much of my pain would you feel

You need eagles wings
To get over things
That make no sense
In this world

You need rhino skin
If you're gonna pretend
You're not hurt by this world

If you listen long enough
You can hear my skin grow tough
Love is painful to the touch
Must be made of stronger stuff

You need rhino skin
To get to the end
Of the maze through this world

You need rhino skin
Or you're gonna give in
To the needles and pins
The arrows of sin
The evils of men
You need rhino skin

T. Petty - Rhino Skin
New Close enough..
I think it's all covered in the Confucius quote re the consequences of (not) correcting language. (I posted full quote eons ago in IWE) ie. once language itself has been corrupted - beyond some highly arguable point? - communication fails.

We don't need Confucius, to list the "things which remain undone" when finally,

..justice goes astray. The people stand about in helpless confusion. Hence it matters above all else that language be correct.

We've become a Nation of illiterates, exposed to blaring noise most waking hours - and most of us are: utterly and unprecedentedly! unfamiliar with the founding documents' Names! let alone the content and (The Federalist Papers) and the debates.. yada yada.

What could you call our next Prospects except: A Crap Shoot?

Ashton
     Media bias - (Silverlock) - (84)
         Wow - (bepatient) - (77)
             Wow - what an exercise in non-commentary on the - (Ashton) - (76)
                 I just had a beer. - (Ashton)
                 Silly. - (bepatient) - (74)
                     Oh...btw... - (bepatient) - (63)
                         Dumb me.. - (Ashton) - (62)
                             Ok...I promise... - (bepatient) - (61)
                                 Bzzzzzttttt! Wrong answer. - (Brandioch) - (60)
                                     You've wasted 3 more... - (bepatient) - (59)
                                         Point of subtle orthogonal inference, please: - (Ashton) - (58)
                                             Instead of induhveejewels... - (bepatient) - (57)
                                                 Target acquired. Commencing SLAM! - (Brandioch) - (3)
                                                     Ah... - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                         And you're still trying to weasel out of it. - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                                             Read elsewhere...if you must. -NT - (bepatient)
                                                 Oh... Riiigghhhht.. - (Ashton) - (52)
                                                     Mr. Lehrer is Mr. PBS News not NPR News. - (a6l6e6x) - (5)
                                                         My bad. As to Lehrer: Oh Yes He Can be held accountable - (Ashton) - (3)
                                                             The "sponsor" - COMMISSION ON PRESIDENTIAL DEBATES - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                                                                 Expect? Guts, not pandering to a set-up, ovinely. -NT - (Ashton)
                                                                 Hmmm, think "umpire". - (Brandioch)
                                                         Silence == support. Particularly with a reputation. - (Brandioch)
                                                     So its not good enought to just ist their networks... - (bepatient) - (45)
                                                         You thought it would be? - (Brandioch) - (43)
                                                             Ah, - (bepatient) - (42)
                                                                 Learn what "bias" is. - (Brandioch) - (41)
                                                                     So you assert... - (bepatient) - (40)
                                                                         Point of logical order? - (Ashton) - (4)
                                                                             Maybe you don't notice a bias based on the current issue... - (bepatient) - (3)
                                                                                 Stats as of a month ago. - (Brandioch) - (2)
                                                                                     So your point is??? - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                                         Read the questionaire. - (Brandioch)
                                                                         "Strawman", eh? - (Brandioch) - (32)
                                                                             Nope...nice try though. - (bepatient) - (31)
                                                                                 And that's all the "proof" needed. - (Brandioch) - (5)
                                                                                     Hopeless. - (bepatient) - (4)
                                                                                         well you could always change your sig - (boxley) - (2)
                                                                                             chuckle - (bepatient)
                                                                                             The medical term for that is CRIS... - (bbronson)
                                                                                         "liberal bias" "picking on Clinton". - (Brandioch)
                                                                                 Bill, this may be a good starting point for you. - (mmoffitt) - (24)
                                                                                     bzt - (bepatient) - (23)
                                                                                         I suggest you read their site. - (Brandioch) - (13)
                                                                                             Pointing to an alternate site - (bepatient) - (12)
                                                                                                 A different site? - (Brandioch) - (11)
                                                                                                     The >book<...my ever so sensitive friend... - (bepatient) - (10)
                                                                                                         A book on genetics, endorsed by the KKK web site. - (Brandioch) - (9)
                                                                                                             Brain death? - (bepatient) - (8)
                                                                                                                 I will reconstruct the crime. - (Brandioch) - (7)
                                                                                                                     You do whatever you like dear. - (bepatient) - (6)
                                                                                                                         "Bias" is completely unrelated? - (Brandioch) - (4)
                                                                                                                             Like I said... - (bepatient) - (3)
                                                                                                                                 Again, their position on global warming shows their bias. - (Brandioch) - (2)
                                                                                                                                     Whatever. -NT - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                                                                                         So, your point is that a book store will sell it? - (Brandioch)
                                                                                                                         Refs. be damned than.. So: - (Ashton)
                                                                                         Was any research actually conducted? - (Silverlock) - (8)
                                                                                             Goldberg appears... - (bepatient) - (4)
                                                                                                 That's not what I'm saying - (Silverlock) - (3)
                                                                                                     America is bi-polar. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                                                                         To the extent that is true.. - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                                                                             Good Point and one I hadn't considered. - (mmoffitt)
                                                                                             Interesting you should post that link... - (screamer) - (2)
                                                                                                 The only one that comes close to as many hits - (screamer) - (1)
                                                                                                     Close enough.. - (Ashton)
                                                                         Oh, puh-LEEEEZE, Bill... - (jb4) - (1)
                                                                             Actually. - (bepatient)
                                                         In defense of Public Broadcasting - (screamer)
                     Actually, it would need a rebuttal. - (Brandioch) - (9)
                         Cool - (bepatient) - (8)
                             Awwww, poor baby. - (Brandioch) - (7)
                                 Me? - (bepatient) - (6)
                                     Yes. You. Stop acting like a child and grow up. - (Brandioch) - (5)
                                         Excuse me? - (bepatient) - (4)
                                             I'm sure there is an excuse for you. - (Brandioch) - (3)
                                                 And yet another... - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                     Nah.. I think it's about the fun of ___Surprise! - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                         But it is no surprise... - (bepatient)
         This can't be of much importance. - (Ashton)
         "Own the press and you own the People" - V.I. Lenin - (mmoffitt) - (4)
             thats why the repos dont want to support NPR :) - (boxley) - (3)
                 Re: Yup: only rich country to SELL most all the airwaves - (Ashton) - (2)
                     Sell? You mean Give dont you? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                         Yes.___WTF was I *thinking!* -NT - (Ashton)

Coo coo ca-choo!
97 ms