Bill,
Just chiming in on this... You wanted someone to defend PBS or NPR... As a non-voter (albeit a liberal), I find Charlie Rose to be as fair as any commentator on TV. I don't really mind Tim Russert either (if he has a political affiliation, I haven't been able to determine it). As far as All Things Considered and programs such as these, I find them to be a bit idealistic in their views and quick to follow popular "liberalish" trends, but their media coverage attempts to be neutral... You know their funding depends on both Republicans and Democrats.

I do understand what you are saying about the established bias of most television commentators at local offiliates as well as the majors - last poll conducted showed 90 + percent as registered Democrats. But as the others have pointed out, most of the owners are most probably more beholden on the Republican party.

I would like to see the ethic return where broadcasters at least "tried" to remain neutral, including the Katie Couric frowns and sighs whenever she interviews a Republican. It would have to be very difficult to remain "neutral" when you are interviewing people you totally disagree with, it is anti - human :-)

If you haven't seen Charlie Rose, please do. He usually has great shows. PBS in general has a good lineup. NPR is pretty interesting as well. I listen to Rush Limbaugh a couple of times a month just to keep it interesting for myself. Equal time so to speak. Dr. Laura is on the way home from work so... I'm back to NPR. I have to say, that I do find Rush's show less offensive than the rhetoric surrounding it. This is not to say that I don't find his rhetoric tiresome (even at only a few times a month), but I don't think even he buys half of the junk he says.

Something that has always puzzled me, however; is that all (save for PBS/NPR) of these shows are supposedly "giving the viewers what they want"... It would follow that the majority of the population would be liberal. Given that of the 50 percent of the population that actually votes, roughly 40 percent are Democrat and 40 percent are Republicans (about 40 percent of the overall population), does that mean that the 60 percent (50 percent who don't vote and 10 percent that vote independent) are liberal leaning? I know that I am, but I don't see evidence to suggest that I am in a majority... Just something I've noticed...

Dan