IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Would Sanders have won against Trump?
No.

Hang on, that's excessively simplistic. Allow me to clarify.

Fuck no! He'd have been utterly destroyed.

http://www.newsweek.com/myths-cost-democrats-presidential-election-521044
New Probably the most concise version that story can be
--

Drew
New Kurt doesn't pull any punches.
It's a good piece, thanks.

I do think, though, that it's dangerous and counter-productive to blame the voters.

[edit:] to elaborate...

It's the candidate's responsibility to point out what's at stake and to do what s/he can to get voters to come out. It's the responsibility of the state and the legal framework to make sure the process is fair and transparent.

There were lots of things going on that caused the outcome. More of Obama's voters turning out to vote would have helped, but we only have anecdotes about why that didn't happen. Blaming Stein voters, and blaming those who didn't vote, isn't the path forward. There always are (or should always be) 3rd party choices, people who don't vote, etc....

Cheers,
Scott.
Expand Edited by Another Scott Nov. 21, 2016, 11:39:27 AM EST
New Establishment Media Publishes Establishment Horseshit. Film at 11.
The Democratic Party can have sex with itself, and I mean that in the crudest sense.

Edit: Best comment award goes to John Berry

John Berry · Works at Self-Employed
HRC could never win Bernie or bust or otherwise! She never polled well against Trump. She is the one who elevated Trump. Who rigged the primary. Who was in every way the worst person to ever run for the Presidency under a main party! You are the ones that refused to see her weaknesses and refused to support a massively supperior more popular option. Elections are a polularity contest but Dems's backstabbed the popular choice and instead ran their least trusted and least popular candidate ever! The DNC's plan was to elvate Trump and then give him a weakened opponent! How'd that go for ya?
bcnu,
Mikem

I think religion should be treated with ridicule, hatred and contempt. And I claim that right.
Christopher Hitchens.
Expand Edited by mmoffitt Nov. 21, 2016, 01:11:05 PM EST
New Still wearing the AFBHDB, I see.
Freedom for Tooting!
New You think giving her 400+ delegates out of the gate didn't help her?
How about those per-assigned delegates sticking with her even when their states went for Bernie?
bcnu,
Mikem

I think religion should be treated with ridicule, hatred and contempt. And I claim that right.
Christopher Hitchens.
New They weren't "given" to her, she earned their support.
JEB! was "inevitable" too. Funny how his support collapsed when he couldn't win votes, isn't it?

Bernie lost.

Cheers,
Scott.
New s/Bernie/We and you're right.
She's all about pay-to-play, n'est ce pas?
bcnu,
Mikem

Christopher Hitchens.
New When's Bernie going to release his tax returns?
Why is Bernie part of the Democratic Leadership (in charge of "outreach" or something) if he isn't a Democrat? "I was elected as an Independent so I'm staying an Independent for now" (rough quote). Doesn't he know what the word "Independent" means?

Hillary wasn't all about "pay-to-play" - she couldn't be more transparent, but if it involves a Clinton, it's never enough...

(sigh)

Cheers,
Scott.
New "she couldn't be more transparent"
email gate, from the record "they thought they could get away with it" yup, thats transparent all right
always look out for number one and don't step in number two
New Who is "they".
You know that out-of-context quotes don't mean anything.

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: but if it involves a Clinton, it's never enough...
And yet below you claim that my correct assertion last year that Hillary could not possibly win Indiana was a claim based upon no evidence.
bcnu,
Mikem

Christopher Hitchens.
New It's never enough for you and people like you
That's not proof that everyone is like you.
--

Drew
New You mean people who can comprehend facts?
I've said many, many times that most of the criticism of Hillary Rodham was completely unjustified and lacked any sort of merit. There were and are a whole host of things that she could be rightly criticized for, but that's irrelevant to the point about it being easy to see why she could not possibly win Indiana. This is the state that elected Mitch Daniels, Dan Coats and Mike Pence among other notable disasters (remember Dan Quayle?). The voters in this state almost elected a Senate candidate even after he said, "if a woman gets pregnant when she's raped, it's part of God's plan" so abortion should be illegal even in that case during a televised debate. Until I moved here in 1986, I'd never even heard of Rush Limbaugh. But in Indiana's second largest city, his "reports" were cited as fact by virtually everyone I met.

The point is that between the made-up-stuff about her and her actual faults, her campaign could not possibly hope to carry Indiana. I would have thought anyone could see that.
bcnu,
Mikem

Christopher Hitchens.
New Not how I remember it
Your position here seems to be: "Most of the criticism of Hillary was completely unjustified, but a woman has no chance to win Indiana. Here are some examples for evidence."

That's pretty reasonable. In the same way, I believe much of the opposition to Obama is because he's black, but the reasons given for the opposition were many and varied, and largely false.

But is that really what you've said many, many times? I seem to remember you criticizing Hillary pretty consistently. I don't recall you ever defending her. It may have happened, but the overwhelming trend of your comments has been in the other direction.

Evidence? "... the criticism of Hillary Rodham ..." Her name is Hillary Clinton. It has been for more than 40 years. The only people who call her Hillary Rodham are people implying there's something wrong with her "independence".
--

Drew
New You could not be more wrong.
The only people who call her Hillary Rodham are people implying there's something wrong with her "independence".

That may be the dumbest comment I've read on this board. The *ONLY* reason she stopped calling herself Rodham was to placate lesser minds in Arkansas so her husband could win an election. Hell, even her own email addresses on her private server were hrodxx@clintonemail.com. It is the exact opposite to what you've written. It is the people who "call her Clinton" that are stating there is something wrong with her independence.
bcnu,
Mikem

Christopher Hitchens.
New Thought experiment
Jane Smith marries John Thomas. Jane says she wants to be called Jane Thomas now. Some random person calls her Jane Smith anyway. That person is an asshole.

Jane Smith marries John Thomas. Jane says she wants to be called Jane Smith-Thomas now. Some random person calls her Jane Smith anyway. That person is an asshole.

Jane Smith marries John Thomas. Jane says she wants to be called Jane Smith still. Some random person calls her Jane Thomas. That person is an asshole.

Jane Smith marries John Thomas. Jane says she wants to be called David Jones now. Some random person calls her Jane Smith anyway. That person is an asshole.

Jane Smith doesn't marry anybody. Jane says she wants to be called Martha Jackson now. Some random person calls her Jane Smith anyway. That person is an asshole.

See the pattern? You decide what your name is. You decide what you want to be called. Someone deciding to call you something else is making a point, and being an asshole.
--

Drew
New She calls herself Rodham. HTH. Toddler.
bcnu,
Mikem

Christopher Hitchens.
New Re: She calls herself Rodham. HTH. Toddler.
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/11/a-short-history-of-hillary-rodham-clintons-name/418029/
By the time Hillary Clinton ran for president in 2008, she had almost entirely dropped “Rodham;” she appeared on primary ballots as “Hillary Clinton.” As in 2000, her signs read “Hillary”; her website lived at hillaryclinton.com. In discussions of the race in the media (including here) she is referred to simply as “Hillary Clinton,” “Hillary,” or “Clinton.” The super PAC supporting her was “Ready for Hillary.” Her presidential campaign now calls itself “Hillary for America,” and her logo is a simple H with an arrow. As the Times notes, “Hillary Clinton” is also the name the candidate has used in filing for the ballot this year. (As Hadas Gold notes, however, aides often refer to her as “HRC.”)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/11/19/the-fascinating-history-of-when-hillary-clinton-has-chosen-to-use-her-maiden-name/
Well, it seems that when Clinton feels that a more traditional naming pattern might be a matter of protocol or politically advantageous -- capable of helping her play down the traits for which she is most often criticized -- she is Hillary Clinton. But when Clinton is operating in the private sector or safely ensconced in a public service position where there was no risk of voter backlash, she's Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Sometimes it's Hillary Rodham Clinton, sometimes it's just Hillary Clinton. Usually it's just Hillary. She never calls herself Hillary Rodham any more.

[edit]

Oh, and to be clear: Whether a woman chooses to take her husband's name or not is none of my business, and unless I'm an asshole I honor her choice. As a politician, she has recognized that there are assholes in the world who think they get to have an opinion, and those assholes vote.
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook Nov. 22, 2016, 01:35:32 PM EST
New So you're good with her being coerced into calling herself Clinton. Got it.
bcnu,
Mikem

Christopher Hitchens.
New I'm good with her deciding what she wants to be called
--

Drew
New "being coerced into calling herself Clinton"
You must be mistaken. You've been telling us all year that HRC is an unreconstructed Goldwater Girl. No Goldwater Girl would require so much as a calorie of coercion, once entered into holy matrimony, to assume her owner's name. That she did not do so at once we are obliged to assume was due to entirely to absent-mindedness rather than to any so-called "feminist" consideration, which would of course be quite inconsistent with the 1964 GOP worldview from which, as you have tirelessly reminded us these many months, she has never deviated one whit.

cordially,
New I actually feel a little sorrow for her in that regard.
No one, not even a detractor like myself, could possibly be anything other than inspired by her undergraduate graduation speech. I see her ultimately succumbing to the pressure of reactionaries in Arkansas to stop using her maiden name as the first step in a long journey to return her to her Goldwater roots. I would have loved for her to have been our 42nd President instead of the toad to which she was and is married. But that was before she ran headlong into the owners of this country when she tried to give us universal healthcare. That, I believe, was the final nail in her undergraduate discovered progressive tendencies. She, quite simply, had those progressive tendencies beaten out of her beginning with the coerced name change and culminating in the horror show that was the big insurance, big pharma, and bankster attacks on healthcare reform that worked so well with the marching morons of this country. It was then, I believe, she decided to return to her Goldwateran roots. More is the pity. She could have been great.
bcnu,
Mikem

Christopher Hitchens.
Expand Edited by mmoffitt Nov. 23, 2016, 10:54:14 AM EST
New Who are you, and what have you done with mmoffitt?
--

Drew
New :0)
bcnu,
Mikem

Christopher Hitchens.
New and how about when she held a gun to my head?
I'd never have voted for Clinton in the California primary if she hadn't threatened to burn my house down and kill my dog.
New :0)
bcnu,
Mikem

Christopher Hitchens.
New only one dog? she must have been slipping
New another view "She cannot be faulted, criticized, or analyzed for even one more second."
New LRPD grades the thread: 'Three cheers for literacy... I feel sick.' :-0
     Would Sanders have won against Trump? - (pwhysall) - (29)
         Probably the most concise version that story can be -NT - (drook)
         Kurt doesn't pull any punches. - (Another Scott)
         Establishment Media Publishes Establishment Horseshit. Film at 11. - (mmoffitt) - (24)
             Still wearing the AFBHDB, I see. - (pwhysall) - (23)
                 You think giving her 400+ delegates out of the gate didn't help her? - (mmoffitt) - (22)
                     They weren't "given" to her, she earned their support. - (Another Scott) - (18)
                         s/Bernie/We and you're right. - (mmoffitt) - (17)
                             When's Bernie going to release his tax returns? - (Another Scott) - (16)
                                 "she couldn't be more transparent" - (boxley) - (1)
                                     Who is "they". - (Another Scott)
                                 Re: but if it involves a Clinton, it's never enough... - (mmoffitt) - (13)
                                     It's never enough for you and people like you - (drook) - (12)
                                         You mean people who can comprehend facts? - (mmoffitt) - (11)
                                             Not how I remember it - (drook) - (10)
                                                 You could not be more wrong. - (mmoffitt) - (9)
                                                     Thought experiment - (drook) - (8)
                                                         She calls herself Rodham. HTH. Toddler. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                                                             Re: She calls herself Rodham. HTH. Toddler. - (drook) - (6)
                                                                 So you're good with her being coerced into calling herself Clinton. Got it. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                                                     I'm good with her deciding what she wants to be called -NT - (drook)
                                                                     "being coerced into calling herself Clinton" - (rcareaga) - (3)
                                                                         I actually feel a little sorrow for her in that regard. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                                             Who are you, and what have you done with mmoffitt? -NT - (drook) - (1)
                                                                                 :0) -NT - (mmoffitt)
                     and how about when she held a gun to my head? - (rcareaga) - (2)
                         :0) -NT - (mmoffitt)
                         only one dog? she must have been slipping -NT - (boxley)
         another view "She cannot be faulted, criticized, or analyzed for even one more second." - (boxley)
         LRPD grades the thread: 'Three cheers for literacy... I feel sick.' :-0 -NT - (Ashton)

Mmmmmm. Gouda!
202 ms