IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Piketty protégé explains $T scamming of Govts (not just us Serfs)
Gabriel Zucman outlines latest mega-scams.
(Doesn't he look like a sibling?)

Seems that only those with no day-job could possibly keep current with The Varieties of Religious Corrupt Experience.
(Didn't we once call runaway-lists of some phenomenon.. a Pattern?)
(Should we wonder why nobody in-Power thinks this topic is worth Talking About?)

Unless.. ... Nahh, they couldn't all be corrupt too.

Already?!

(Is there a French word for pandemic clusterfuck?)
Maybe we need to invent one :-/
New riddle me this
I take 100k of my money to zimbabwe. I start a business, make 25k and leave 125k in the bank over there. Why do I owe you (collectively) ANY of that 25k?

one more
lady moves to toronto kanader, works adult life, buys a home whose equity she wants to use in retirement, in kanader. Why does she owe you(collectively) ANY of that equity? YOU didn't build that, as one pol likes to point out
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New oh puhleeze
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20140401/NEWS02/140409996?template=mobile

Justify this. They bought a foreign company, changed a billing address, moved no goods or actual services, and screwed the US out of 2 billion dollars.
New tell that to Pat Moon
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New paywall, no read
But if the situation is she does not want to live in US, then she should have immigrated. No matter how bad my current situation, I still believe we are near enough to the top that I don't want to be anywhere else.
New Riddle me this
Article says more than 1 in 3 adults are obese.

Box asks: I'm the same weight I was a high school athlete. Why should I change my diet?

Here's an idea. When someone describes a problem, how about you don't invent completely unrelated hypotheticals as though they disprove the problem.
--

Drew
New show me the invented part
New s/invented hypotheticals/introduce unrelated
The point isn't whether your examples are real. The point is that they're not what anyone else is talking about.
--

Drew
New not really, from the article
I also think a progressive tax on net wealth (not only real estate but financial wealth) would be a very powerful instrument to curb the increase in wealth inequality.
why do you feel that is YOUR money?
New because we all have an investment into the general system
Without the laws and armys that keep it stable we are fucked. The concept of property without a private army to protect it is based on the society we live in. Those that benefit to a greater degree also have the responsibility to fund it.
Unless you want to live in a caliphate or whatever, which in turn means it wouldn't be your's either.
New they are already funding it at a large percentage rate
much higher rate than any of us here
New Rmoney only broke 10% by playing games with his deductions.
Mother Jones from 2012.

He picked his own tax rate in 2011, purposely paying more than he owed. Romney intentionally took fewer deductions than he earned in 2011, paying over $250,000 more in taxes than he needed to.

I pay a lot more than 15%, myself. YMMV.

But the idea that people who have huge incomes and huge accumulated fortunes somehow suffer unfairly when they pay higher rates than the rest of us - well, that's messed up. We have a progressive tax system for a reason. It's not unfair, and it's not a burden on the wealthy.

Cheers,
Scott.
New you would never catch the clintons doing that :-)
New It's whataboutery, again.
New The paper discusses things like that...
Corporate  taxation would be straightforward in a closed economy but gets more complicated as soon as companies operate in different countries.  A U.S. person pays taxes on all her income, wherever it comes from.  Because the corporate tax is essentially a prepayment, so too should U.S.-­‐owned corporations pay taxes on all their profits, whether they originate from the U.S. or abroad.  A problem, then, arises: there is a risk of two countries taxing the same profits. Concerned with such double taxation, in the 1920s the League of Nations asked four economists to think about how best to avoid it (Bruins et al., 1923).

They came up with three principles, which since then have been the pillars of international taxation.

First, the corporate tax is to be paid to the “source” country’s government.  If a U.S. person owns a Brazilian coffee producer – call it Coffee Rio then Brazil ought to levy the  tax.

There are complications, of course.

They continue:

First, the choice of thousands of bilateral treaties over a multilateral agreement has created a web of inconsistent rules.  By carefully choosing  the location of their affiliates – what is known as “treaty shopping” – multinationals can exploit these inconsistencies to avoid taxes.  

A prime example is given by Google’s “double Irish Dutch sandwich” strategy – so named because it involves two Irish affiliates and a Dutch shell company squeezed in between. The first Irish affiliate, “Ireland Limited”, licenses Google’s intangible capital – its search and advertisement technologies – to all Google affiliates in Europe, the Middle East and Africa. (A similar strategy, with Singapore in lieu of Ireland, is used for Asia).  Google France, for instance, pays royalties to “Ireland limited” in order to have the right to use the firm’s technologies.  At this stage, the bulk of Google’s non-­‐U.S. profits end up being taxable in Ireland only, where the corporate tax is 12.5%.

But 12.5% is still a lot.  The next stage involves sending the profits to Bermuda, where the tax rate is a modest 0%.  To that end, Google has created a second affiliate, “Google Holdings”.  Although it is incorporated in Ireland, for Irish tax purposes “Holdings” is a resident of Bermuda (where its mind and management are supposedly located).  Because Ireland withholds a tax on royalty payments to Bermuda, Google cannot directly send the profits collected by its first Irish affiliate to the Irish/Bermuda hybrid.  A detour by the Netherlands is necessary.  “Ireland Limited” pays royalties to a Dutch shell company – a tax-­‐free payment because Ireland and the Netherlands are both part of the European Union – and the Dutch shell pays back everything to the Irish/Bermuda holding – tax-­‐free again because to the Dutch authorities the holding is Irish, not Bermudian.

And so forth.

Schemes like this to evade taxes should be severely punished. Of course, since the banksters and the plutocrats benefit, actually doing that is extremely difficult.

Cheers,
Scott.
New there is the real issue to me
A U.S. person pays taxes on all her income, wherever it comes from.
why the fuck does breaking your ass elsewhere to make a buck YOU(collectively) think I owe you money just because by a freak of nature mom dropped doot on us soil? If you don't drag it back and don't want to spend it here why insist on taxing it? After all
you didn't build that!
there for the earner now did you?
New The paper covers all that...
The system we have now is a mess. Companies, like Google, play games to move profits - to places where they aren't made - for tax purposes.

If you make $25k overseas, line 47 on Form 1040 is the place to deduct the overseas taxes you paid on that $25k. If you don't pay taxes on it overseas, why shouldn't the US tax it? It's part of your income. You're entitled to not be taxed twice on the income; you're not entitled to not pay any tax on it. As crazy said, we pay taxes to support the common good so that we don't all have to hire mercenaries to keep our neighbors out of our stuff. If you live in the US and have $100k in income, and your neighbor has $100k in income, why should you pay less in taxes because you've hidden $25k of that in a shell company with a PO box in the Bahamas?

If (generic) you think it's tyranny to pay taxes, move somewhere else. That goes for companies, too. And don't be surprised if you have to pay tariffs to access our market (I'd do that if I were king).

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
New In simple words (so even the BOx may understand)
Because you, being a poor stupid peon-serf, don't get to screw the rules like the megacorps you're holding up as paragons and whose example you are apparently deluded into thinking you should be entitled to follow.

Unfortunately for you, your corporate overlords have actually allowed the (more-or-less) democratically-elected political representatives of the world's populations to set up a (somewhat patchworky, and here and there slightly paradoxical, but still) more or less fair and just system where incomes are in the end taxed somewhere... Of course they allowed this only because they knew _they_ were no fucking way going to follow these rules.

You, though, aren't they, so you are. THAT'S why you get to pay taxes where the tax laws say you should, notwithstanding that some tiny number of cases on the margin may feel (and, sure, might actually even be) slightly illogical. (So what? Since when is legislation perfect, or perfect legislation even possible?)

Nobody, of course, expects this to stop you from mindlessly spouting your pro-corporate overlord slogans.

Think about that.
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
     Piketty protégé explains $T scamming of Govts (not just us Serfs) - (Ashton) - (17)
         riddle me this - (boxley) - (16)
             oh puhleeze - (crazy) - (2)
                 tell that to Pat Moon - (boxley) - (1)
                     paywall, no read - (crazy)
             Riddle me this - (drook) - (8)
                 show me the invented part - (boxley) - (6)
                     s/invented hypotheticals/introduce unrelated - (drook) - (5)
                         not really, from the article - (boxley) - (4)
                             because we all have an investment into the general system - (crazy) - (3)
                                 they are already funding it at a large percentage rate - (boxley) - (2)
                                     Rmoney only broke 10% by playing games with his deductions. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                         you would never catch the clintons doing that :-) -NT - (boxley)
                 It's whataboutery, again. -NT - (pwhysall)
             The paper discusses things like that... - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 there is the real issue to me - (boxley) - (1)
                     The paper covers all that... - (Another Scott)
             In simple words (so even the BOx may understand) - (CRConrad)

Did it involve geese?
82 ms