IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Sigh....idiots and Government...how they go together.

But officers with the Department of Fish and Game, who learned of Colin after seeing a feature on BrightHaven in The Press Democrat, didn't think the raven was leading a life worth living. Fish and Game officers visited BrightHaven on Wednesday and said if Colin can't live on his own in the wild he must be destroyed. It's the law.

[...]

``The (Fish and Game) policy doesn't address a situation like this. If the bird can't survive in the wild, if it's not capable of being a wild animal, it's no longer wild and the law should not apply,'' Woods said.

I may be wrong....but yes, you have to have a permit to handle wildlife. But...and maybe I'm wrong..but I seem to remember a number of animals are rehabiltation facilities that would never live on their own in the wild.

When I found a screech own hit by a car and took him to [link|http://www.audubonofflorida.org/conservation/cbop.htm| Audubon Bird of Prey Center in Florida ], there were a number of birds there that (I believe) weren't going to be able to go back to the wild.

How much does anyone want to bet that someone in the F&G office saw the article and decided to pounce on it. Anyone want to bet that there were places that could've taken in the raven.
Expand Edited by Simon_Jester May 15, 2002, 02:18:04 AM EDT
New Yes, it was an individual's pure spite + ego
mixed with the hubris of a petty grade of 'authority'. He did not go there to observe anything or listen to anyone - and he didn't. Used the words "make an example of you". This despite the fact that there are mechanisms for umm "emergency sanity" (sanity during emergency?) or even -- just licensing them, as is licensed near here: a deer/fawn rescue facility. As I said - this place is a model care facility -- for *any* species. And it's not about "pets" or a desire to have jillions of such. Actually it's about love.

With the gentrification of this area as elsewhere - wild animals have less and less chance of living a fine life free of homo-sap meddling.. or any life at all, in some areas where new Yuppie villas are being shoved in, a few feet apart. Folks move to get away from the street lights, noise and blight they built, then try to bring that crap here - so it might look just like what they fled from. As Spock would say, "it is not logical but it is often true".

To me the idea that "this bird is better off dead" is just too close to the US Vietnam mindset: better Dead than Red. And We Meant It. So did this hateful wannabe-cop.

Ashton

Govt. or not, it does not have to be this way - however frequently it is this way. Ignorance Kills. In this case - literally.
     Ashcroftian Spirit hits close to home.. - (Ashton) - (15)
         Hey, Ash(-ton, not -croft)... - (jb4) - (3)
             OK - (Ashton) - (2)
                 Sigh....idiots and Government...how they go together. - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                     Yes, it was an individual's pure spite + ego - (Ashton)
         And this is a fine example of what we get... - (bepatient) - (5)
             Well... Yes! but an essential ingredient of that Yes is, - (Ashton) - (2)
                 All true... - (bepatient) - (1)
                     Ain't it da trooth.. ain't it da trooth - (Ashton)
             And this, in turn, is a fine example of what we usually... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                 Excuse me... - (bepatient)
         Well you have to blame the environmentalists for this - (boxley) - (4)
             Horseshit! - (jb4) - (1)
                 So the oil/logging companies are responsible for these laws? - (boxley)
             Demagoguery means.. - (Ashton) - (1)
                 nope, - (boxley)

Dude...
81 ms