IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New What I asked my mom last night.
Mom has this crazy idea I should give everything up and be a teacher, instead of trying to stay in the high-stress, high-paying(ha!), high-tech field. In exchange for spending another year in school, I would get the following:

She said:
Summers off
Job satisfaction
Quick track to administration (as if that's a benefit.)

My response:
Food stamps for the first three years.
Having to declare bankruptcy.
Not being able to buy a house.
Kids threatening to kill me, and quite possibly trying to.
Oh, and the government constantly telling me, "You don't like it? Tough shit, strikes are illegal."

Bugger that - I'd rather be homeless and unemployed than a teacher at this point in my life. At least that way I'd have an excuse why I couldn't pay my bills...
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New All I lack is Student Teaching.
I got into the tech business completely by accident. I was a Math major and simultaneously pursuing my Secondary Ed Cert (grades 5-12 so as to make myself more hireable). When I took a part time job in a data center in my senior year, I realized that taking a teaching position would pay me about 6K/year less than working full-time at the place I was working part-time. So, instead I went full time in the data center (Note: Teacher salaries were FROZEN for 3 years. Then they got a 4% increase one year and Hoosiers screamed bloody murder. I bring this up because w/experience, salary levels diverge even more at a rapid pace).

It's been downhill (personal reward-wise) ever since. I still have guilt pangs about not teaching, until I realize that my entire take-home pay for my first two years of teaching (w/my M.S. in Math) would not pay the interest on my home mortgage. Then I feel bad about my society, not me.
     Dubya's "Teach to the Test" Policy claims its first victim. - (mmoffitt) - (33)
         lets see, she was crazy enough to kill herself? - (boxley) - (11)
             Comment removed by author. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (10)
                 That was a fair comment - (boxley) - (9)
                     Not fair, childish. - (mmoffitt) - (8)
                         Like you said we DONT know what was on her mind - (boxley) - (7)
                             Begs a question. - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                                 Is there evidence that the stress is because of the tests - (boxley) - (5)
                                     Lack of history education is by design. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                         yep, the people here in florida were pretty po'ed at the FSC - (boxley) - (3)
                                             Ah, but doing it legally and by the book...... - (Brandioch)
                                             Um, how about the scenario of... - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                 wouldnt make a difference - (boxley)
         What I asked my mom last night. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
             All I lack is Student Teaching. - (mmoffitt)
         Misplaced blame. - (bepatient) - (18)
             IIF invalid. - (mmoffitt) - (17)
                 Not quite.... - (bepatient) - (16)
                     IQ testing, "achievement" testing == NUMBERS as gauge - - (Ashton)
                     Let's get one thing straight. - (mmoffitt) - (14)
                         Lets get something clear. - (bepatient) - (13)
                             Not a semantics game. - (mmoffitt) - (12)
                                 Dude... - (bepatient) - (11)
                                     I hear this all the time and it is nonsense. - (mmoffitt) - (10)
                                         No its not. - (bepatient) - (9)
                                             You can't tell anything from looking at "average salaries". - (mmoffitt) - (8)
                                                 You made that point.. - (bepatient) - (7)
                                                     GACK! We'd agree??? Somebody shoot me :-) -NT - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                                                         Scary part... - (bepatient) - (5)
                                                             See BeeP? this is whatcha get by.. - (Ashton) - (4)
                                                                 Got me there... - (bepatient) - (3)
                                                                     OK.. then I'll confess - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                                         Made me look it up... - (bepatient)
                                                                         weird - (bepatient)