IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I have Comcast
watching television shows from Hulu.com, for example, is frustrating as hell. The video is always "blocky", meaning the frame rate is like 1 out of every 4 frames getting displayed, which means the audio is out of sync with the streaming video. Then, for reasons $DEITY only knows, it'll freeze for several seconds - a lot.

Numerous calls over the years to Customer (Non)Support have brought guys out more than once to declare "Everything's fine", even when it isn't. In fact, the last time I called in I spent an hour with a script-reader in India who said, "Well, I get great response time pinging the modem, so we're not at fault". To which I replied, "my PC is connected to the Ethernet cable coming out of your modem, and I'm not even getting to www.comcast.com, so NOTHING IS FINE!" So he promptly transferred me to a 3rd party pay-for-the-support call company.

Several neighbors have AT&T and they say that's no better.

I hate utilities.

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain “Pudd’nhead Wilson’s New Calendar,” 1897
New If you have coax signal splitters, maybe try swapping them.
I had a situation at home where a bad coax signal splitter was introducing a lot of noise to a TV. You might have something similar and it is fairly easy to check. If all your TVs are about the same, check close to where the cable enters your house.

I've had good luck with the "Ideal" brand at Lowes.

HTH a little. Good luck.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who lived in a place where the phone would go out whenever it rained. It took over a year for them to fix the wiring on the pole for that, so he feels your pain.)
New Before that
Plug the 1 critical device into the direct non-split coax and see if it fixes the issue. Reminds me that years ago I setup a windows PC to test internet issues. I had a home brewed Linux based firewall/router which meant the cable company would quickly say: "Not supported" if I had any issues. So I always had the windows box around for support call testing.
New That too.
New no splitter
cable coming into the house for the Internet is dedicated, no splitters anywhere. The video quality is the same if I have the router between my computer and the cable modem or if I connect the PC directly into the cable modem.

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
New I have Comcast
2 tv's sucking netflix continuously and my connection to my brothers slingbox for remote markets lets me watch a decent game.
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New Seconded on the splitters.
Then, too, how old is your wireless fw/router?
New Re: Seconded on the splitters.
less than 1 year old. However, I can state that video quality was better with my previous router, with the PC connected via cable into one of the 4 ports in back. But that can be just coincidental because in the end the signal quality is totally dependent upon Comcast sending a good signal down the pipe in the first place.

SHITTY WEEKEND - (lincoln) - (18)
         No, that's a shitty life - (crazy) - (1)
             disagree - (lincoln)
         If it helps... - (pwhysall) - (6)
             Yank-accent Scully as a Northern Irish cop? - (CRConrad) - (5)
                 She actually has an English RP accent - (pwhysall) - (4)
                     Aha, I C. Thx! -NT - (CRConrad)
                     Just like wossisname from "House" - (drook) - (2)
                         Bertie Wooster. HTH! -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                             Yeah, him -NT - (drook)
         Cheer up. You could be a Griffins fan. - (mmoffitt) - (8)
             I have Comcast - (lincoln) - (7)
                 If you have coax signal splitters, maybe try swapping them. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                     Before that - (crazy) - (1)
                         That too. -NT - (Another Scott)
                     no splitter - (lincoln)
                 I have Comcast - (boxley)
                 Seconded on the splitters. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                     Re: Seconded on the splitters. - (lincoln)

The ice cream truck driver in the neighborhood speaks Nadsat.
181 ms