IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New SHITTY WEEKEND
First the TV guide says that the Hawks game will be on NBC. Since the assholes running the network thought putting up "Law And Order: SUV" reruns were better for ratings than game #2 of the Stanley Cup finals, I had to go to a bar to watch the game. Overpriced beer, waitress with an ass too big to fit into the short-shorts she was wearing and a snotty attitude to go with it. And then to top it off, fucking owner switches the huge screen to another station carrying UFC bouts. I had to give up my table to go stand at the bar to watch it on a 32" screen for all of the 3rd period and the OT.

On Sunday Concast was fucked so I couldn't get on the Internet until around 8:30 PM, at which time I didn't give a fuck about even trying. During which time wife is outside working the flowerbeds in the ninety degree heat, and she comes in to demand I come out and help her. I so don't give a fuck about having a fucking green thumb. Besides, even if I did go out it's not like she was planning on rewarding me with something "special" that evening, if you know what I mean ...

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain “Pudd’nhead Wilson’s New Calendar,” 1897
New No, that's a shitty life
Living for failed moments of sports enthrallment bookended by missing sex that someone else controls. Really, time for a reboot and priority check.

Most of my whining comes from the fact that I can't run power tools a couple hours a day when M is sleeping, but she's usually sleeping to recover from our time together.

Expand Edited by crazy June 17, 2013, 12:09:24 PM EDT
New disagree
I don't "Live for failed moments of sports enthrallment"; I do, however, enjoy the rare opportunity to watch the hometown teams on out-of-state free television when available. Which NBC lied about.

I remembered why I hate bars, and sports bars in general: the lack of pretending to care about the customer when you're old enough to be their dad and they ignore you just like him. As someone who put himself through college delivering pizzas, I'm fully aware of the need for good customer service and attitude to be translated into decent tips, because the salary is below minimum wage. And sometimes people who you think are lousy tippers will be the ones who generously surprise you. Which is why I'm not ... except when I get bad service with attitude - then she gets stiffed cause she deserves it.

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
New If it helps...
...I spent Saturday doing fuck-all, ate fish and chips for lunch whilst catching up with The Fall (gritty, dark Belfast detective thing with Gillian Anderson).

Saturday afternoon was re-processing some photos and doing a spot of black'n'white film photography in the park. Saturday night I nerded out with some nice beer and the Legendary edition of Skyrim.

Sunday morning, 3 hours shooting clays with the local gun club, at the in-laws for Father's day in the afternoon, a little light telly in the evening.

New Yank-accent Scully as a Northern Irish cop?
So, did that work at all?
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New She actually has an English RP accent
and was faking the Yankonian accent for the X-Files.

(In The Fall, she's an English DCI in Belfast. Thankfully the writers didn't inflict a Norn Iron accent on her)

ETA: She was raised in the UK but moved to Americanistan when she was 11. She hops between her English and American accents as required. It's a bit weird, tbh.
Expand Edited by pwhysall June 21, 2013, 02:05:13 AM EDT
New Aha, I C. Thx!
New Just like wossisname from "House"
Another inexplicable (to me) sex symbol.
--

Drew
New Bertie Wooster. HTH!
New Yeah, him
--

Drew
New Cheer up. You could be a Griffins fan.
The Grand Rapids Griffins are the AHL affiliate of the Detroit Red Wings. They're in the finals for the first time ever and were leading 3-0. In the other forum I noted I could not go to game 4. But I did manage to take a friend's son to game 5 (the last one at home for the Griffins this season) confident that they'd win the Cup. Paid for a room at the Holiday Inn so as to avoid the 2.5 hour drive back home after the game. They lost. Profoundly. I finally got home after 4 hours of driving on Father's Day to an empty house. Laid in bed and watched "The Fringe" on Netflix the rest of the day.

Lincoln if you're a really big fan (and I know I'm repeating myself) and have broadband at home, hockeystreams splat com is $7.49 for a day, $12.99 for a week and $17.99 for a month. There's an archive and you can watch all the games that have been played so far and you'll get multiple feeds of the playoffs - NBC, TSN and/or CBC. You can pick home or away broadcasts in the live streams. If you really want to see the games and you have access to broadband, 13 bucks to watch at home might be cheaper than going to a bar (it would be for me I'm sure) and a heck of a lot less hassle. Of course, YMMV. ;0)
New I have Comcast
watching television shows from Hulu.com, for example, is frustrating as hell. The video is always "blocky", meaning the frame rate is like 1 out of every 4 frames getting displayed, which means the audio is out of sync with the streaming video. Then, for reasons $DEITY only knows, it'll freeze for several seconds - a lot.

Numerous calls over the years to Customer (Non)Support have brought guys out more than once to declare "Everything's fine", even when it isn't. In fact, the last time I called in I spent an hour with a script-reader in India who said, "Well, I get great response time pinging the modem, so we're not at fault". To which I replied, "my PC is connected to the Ethernet cable coming out of your modem, and I'm not even getting to www.comcast.com, so NOTHING IS FINE!" So he promptly transferred me to a 3rd party pay-for-the-support call company.

Several neighbors have AT&T and they say that's no better.

I hate utilities.

New If you have coax signal splitters, maybe try swapping them.
I had a situation at home where a bad coax signal splitter was introducing a lot of noise to a TV. You might have something similar and it is fairly easy to check. If all your TVs are about the same, check close to where the cable enters your house.

I've had good luck with the "Ideal" brand at Lowes.

HTH a little. Good luck.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who lived in a place where the phone would go out whenever it rained. It took over a year for them to fix the wiring on the pole for that, so he feels your pain.)
New Before that
Plug the 1 critical device into the direct non-split coax and see if it fixes the issue. Reminds me that years ago I setup a windows PC to test internet issues. I had a home brewed Linux based firewall/router which meant the cable company would quickly say: "Not supported" if I had any issues. So I always had the windows box around for support call testing.
New That too.
New no splitter
cable coming into the house for the Internet is dedicated, no splitters anywhere. The video quality is the same if I have the router between my computer and the cable modem or if I connect the PC directly into the cable modem.

New I have Comcast
2 tv's sucking netflix continuously and my connection to my brothers slingbox for remote markets lets me watch a decent game.
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New Seconded on the splitters.
Then, too, how old is your wireless fw/router?
New Re: Seconded on the splitters.
less than 1 year old. However, I can state that video quality was better with my previous router, with the PC connected via cable into one of the 4 ports in back. But that can be just coincidental because in the end the signal quality is totally dependent upon Comcast sending a good signal down the pipe in the first place.

SHITTY WEEKEND - (lincoln) - (18)
         No, that's a shitty life - (crazy) - (1)
             disagree - (lincoln)
         If it helps... - (pwhysall) - (6)
             Yank-accent Scully as a Northern Irish cop? - (CRConrad) - (5)
                 She actually has an English RP accent - (pwhysall) - (4)
                     Aha, I C. Thx! -NT - (CRConrad)
                     Just like wossisname from "House" - (drook) - (2)
                         Bertie Wooster. HTH! -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                             Yeah, him -NT - (drook)
         Cheer up. You could be a Griffins fan. - (mmoffitt) - (8)
             I have Comcast - (lincoln) - (7)
                 If you have coax signal splitters, maybe try swapping them. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                     Before that - (crazy) - (1)
                         That too. -NT - (Another Scott)
                     no splitter - (lincoln)
                 I have Comcast - (boxley)
                 Seconded on the splitters. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                     Re: Seconded on the splitters. - (lincoln)