IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Five years. That's a long time.
Unless you're a continent, or a species, or something.

So what's new for you over the past five years?

I've:

* Been promoted at work and have been given a company car (with ninety (count 'em!) snarlin' horses of diesel POWAH)
* Gone completely over to the Apple darkside (on the desktop) and returned from it (for my phone)
* Turned into a total photo nerd (hey, did I mention that you can get some nice prints at a reasonable price from http://www.peterwhysall.com ? Many sizes and formats available. All proceeds to a good cause, i.e. me)
* Taken up a little light running (2K every other day or so, with gaps in the schedule when I give myself shin splints) in order to achieve some semblance of cardiovascular fitness
* Been given and learned to hate a company BlackBerry
* Seen my son achieve majority and turn into a chef (this is pretty cool; he's buying me a new chef's knife for my birthday (holy shit I'm 40) and we got to be knife nerds together) complete with long-term girlfriend who nags him about money (this is definitely also good, as he's a complete idiot with £££)
* Singularly failed to move house; just as we got into a position where we might want to, the arse dropped out of the housing market...
* ...but we survived the Global Financial Mortgage Armageddon
* Developed an odd prediliction for brightly coloured phones. Current is a blue Lumia 800, next is likely a 920. Can't decide between Banana Yellow and Dog Cock Red.

You?
New For a mountain, no.
For a head of lettuce, yes.
For a man, just right.
(sorry, love that line, but had to reverse it to use it here).

I've:

* quit the corporate rat race, and seen my income drop about 70%. Worth every penny.
* continued on my Linux desktop evolution, but kept my fingers in Winders a bit. Phone went from corp blackberrry to apple iphone to motorola atrix. But really don't care that much about it either way.
* picked up a couple of hobbies that I don't feel like documenting here.
* Was an exercise and diet freak for a bit, but haven't seen the inside of the gym for years. Intead I run up and down 3 floors of steps dozens to hundreds of times a day and have to eat extra to maintain my weight.
* Met some kids I didn't have any contact with since they were very little. Became a Sunday daddy to them.
* Left the wife, started a new life
* Spent a year having WAY too much fun.
* Fell in love, got remarried. To the mother of the above mentioned kids.
* Had 4 kids hit "majority". 2 of which from 2 different moms live with me.
* Trained 1 kid into my profession (finally).
* Had same kid buy me a house. Whatta good kid.
Expand Edited by crazy Oct. 1, 2012, 08:35:45 AM EDT
New For me...
- I'm at the same job since July 2007. Effing amazing, a first. Used to he every 2-3 years was a change.
- First Grandson** from oldest kid.
- Restarted riding motorcycles after 21 year hiatus. Wife learned and bought one first and got me to restart.
- Finally got the youngest kid to undergo some (un-covered by medical insurance very costly) treatments, which changed her life dramatically. It is modern electro-therapy without shocking but with very heavy magnetic fields. This happened on her 18th birthday, 22 months ago.
- Second Grandson** from oldest kid.
- Acquired a Son-in-law that I'm be thrilled to death to have as a great friend, let alone a Son-in-law. I say acquired, since I had to pay for the Wedding (he married her... so he gets to live with her... YEA both ways!)
- Joined a CR Church. (CRCNA is HQ'd here in town.)
- Shipped youngest kid off to University at almost the most expensive one she could find and be in California. In her second year now. (Gads $42,000 tuition/year sucks and is oppressive and dern glad we are only 2 year co-signers... she will pay or we will pay it on time for 2 years and then we get released.)
- Paying for a "tune-up" treatment for youngest... so she stays in University and in California. (Again, uncovered by medical insurance)
- Debt to less than $18,000 and *STILL* cannot get ahead of day to day Medical coverage deductible or co-pays.
- Plus a myriad of other things I'm just not inclined to type here.

** Did I ever mention Grandkids are the BOMB? Yes, so much so that, if I had known how great they are, I'd have just skipped kids all together and went straight to Grandkids. Yes, I'm aware of the impossibility of it.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
New Do horses snarl?
Pretty sure diesel ones don't.

I'll do my "What I've been up to the last five years" when I have time to think of something besides "had another daughter". It's really hard to think of what I was doing before she showed up.
--

Drew
New Re: Five years. That's a long time.
* Lost my job of 10 years back in January.
* Unpaid head of technology for 2 startup firms now.
* Sent my eldest off to school. The jury is still out on whether he'll be able to stay there.

Not much else.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Very little, actually. Still plugging away...
New Mostly helping my parents
Hmmm. since November of 2009 I've been helping out my elderly parents. That seems to take a lot of my time, so I wasn't even coming to the temp boards very often or even posting much in my own group.

Neither parent can drive, dad no longer can, and mom never could, so I'm the main chauffeur for mom, and dad is usually driven by someone else most of the time, I only get him to church on Weds night until I can't help him get in and out of the car anymore on my own.

Currently mom is having pain from her Osteoarthitis of the spine, head and neck, so we have been struggling to keep the pain from shooting her blood pressure up for weeks, she's had as high as 215 on top and 100 on the bottom at different times. They finally were able to start her pain injections last week, and she has been getting some relief from that, but I realize that we're not over the hurdle just yet, I could still lose her any minute from a stroke, so it has really been dicey.

Lesseee, other than that, John still works from home for HP, Mom and I still have our job playing organ and piano for church (although mom is on a leave of ansence right now), and the rest of my family is still the same, but I'm learning to handle them a lot better. ;) It helped that I discovered "Angry Birds" too. ;)

Anyway, good to see the old forums back, please send good wishes and prayers for my mom if you can. Thanks.

Brenda
Nightowl
Expand Edited by Nightowl Oct. 1, 2012, 03:39:30 PM EDT
Expand Edited by Nightowl Oct. 2, 2012, 05:12:00 AM EDT
New Good to see you. Best wishes to all. Hang in there.
New Moved house and continent
* Got married (OK, that was 6 years ago but close enough...)
* Jumped from Belgium to the US (permanently this time)
* Made it through the 1st house renovation 5 yr plan
* Work remains oddly the same. Wherever I end up, I do the same thing (keep the place together with twine and bailing wire)
* Developed an ever increasing loathing of Comcast
* Smart phone? Damn you, HP!! (Yes, I like WebOS the best for actual work)
* Refused to grow up (Mustang GT -> Impreza WRX, Honda Magna -> Ducati Monster)
New Re: Five years. That's a long time.
I bought 2 houses outright. And now I'm unemployed!
Expand Edited by imric Oct. 3, 2012, 09:04:12 AM EDT
New Always look on the bright side of life...
...If you bought 'em outright, at least there's no mortgage payments!

PS- Welcome back! :)
-Mike

@MikeVitale42

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
Expand Edited by mvitale Oct. 3, 2012, 09:07:48 AM EDT
New Re: Always look on the bright side of life...
Oh heck yeah! I pay ~$1000/year in taxes for both. Since I got riffed I've been to Cancun, San Francisco and Tahoe (one trip was paid for last year, the other was on a friend's miles and we stayed at her uncle's old B&B), and my medieval buddies paid my gas to go camping at Pennsic. Now, if I could find some way to keep this up, it would be great... Not hopeful though, so I'm looking for work. *chuckle*
New Hmmm. Forgot. to mention the cancer.
Yeah, I got kidney cancer and lost a kidney. Still going to CT scans, but no trace so far. It's not an aggressive cancer, and as the doc said, I HAVE two of them. If I can stay clean for 5 years, he says statistically theres a 95% chance I won't get cancer at all in the future.

Damned replication errors.

*GRIN*
New Recursion:
See "Recursion"
--

Drew
New Re: Recursion:
http://cubanproject..../post/15342761361 (be sure to scroll down to see the whole thing) (SFW)

(via Joseph Lee on G+ - https://plus.google....posts/UT31KEuPsPy )

Cheers,
Scott.
New Schroedinger who?
--

Drew
New Thot I thaw a puddy-tat.. I Did! I Did! I Did! I Di
New Re: In case you missed this
Neat! Didnt need chemo or radiation or any postop though. Almost feel guilty about that after what some of my friends had to endure. Almost. Mostly I'm just thankful.
New And I'm glad you came out on top...
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Ditto!
     Five years. That's a long time. - (pwhysall) - (20)
         For a mountain, no. - (crazy)
         For me... - (folkert)
         Do horses snarl? - (drook)
         Re: Five years. That's a long time. - (malraux)
         Very little, actually. Still plugging away... -NT - (Another Scott)
         Mostly helping my parents - (Nightowl) - (1)
             Good to see you. Best wishes to all. Hang in there. -NT - (Another Scott)
         Moved house and continent - (scoenye)
         Re: Five years. That's a long time. - (imric) - (11)
             Always look on the bright side of life... - (mvitale) - (10)
                 Re: Always look on the bright side of life... - (imric) - (9)
                     Hmmm. Forgot. to mention the cancer. - (imric) - (8)
                         Recursion: - (drook) - (3)
                             Re: Recursion: - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                 Schroedinger who? -NT - (drook)
                                 Thot I thaw a puddy-tat.. I Did! I Did! I Did! I Di -NT - (Ashton)
                         In case you missed this - (crazy) - (3)
                             Re: In case you missed this - (imric) - (2)
                                 And I'm glad you came out on top... -NT - (malraux) - (1)
                                     Ditto! -NT - (Another Scott)

It's Lord of the Flies, but with iPhones.
87 ms