IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Pay attention
the rule does NOTHING about the ancillary fees.

http://timesfreepres...draw-mixed-views/

Siebold said some airlines already are unbundling their fares, such as showing nonmandatory fees including those for luggage or seat preference. Those types of fees are not included in the new federal rules that took effect this week, but airlines are required to post them on their websites.

So, you see, the food example is NOT part of this rule. Just taxes and mandatory fees. (Nearly 100% government imposed) All that is required is that the airlines post those non mandatories on their website. Which they did prior to this rule.

The "money left on the table" was not tax money. It was passenger money..those that got their $5 bargain fare and blew it on a cheese tray during the flight. With that type of passenger buying behavior, giving free food made no sense for them. So now, they charge. Guess what. It added tens of millions to the bottom line.
Sure, understanding today's complex world of the future is a little like having bees live in your head. But...there they are.
New The problem with this discusion may be...
the fact that you're used to buying tickets in a corporate setting while most people don't.

When I need to fly somewhere, it's usually for personal reasons.

I go to Travelocity (or wherever), enter the # of seats I want, the dates, then go searching. I get a list of flights and ticket prices. Prices vary by factors of 2 or 3 or more for no apparent reason, making one very suspicious that one is being ripped off. On Travelocity, it says "total per person" under the fare. If I select the outbound flight, I see in small print "additional baggage fees may apply". The page changes. I select the return flight. The page changes. I decline the invitation to search for a hotel. The page changes. I continue, declining the stupid travel insurance popup. The page changes. I notice the fine print that the fare isn't guaranteed until it is booked. At that point, I get invited to enter my payment information.

Down at the bottom I see a small link about taxes and fees. It says things like:

"The prices displayed for air fare on our site are inclusive of all taxes, governmental fees, and other mandatory charges. However, remember that you may incur other flight-related charges that are not payable to us and are not included in the quoted price, such as airline baggage fees and other charges for optional airline services." and information about variable charges for changing a reservation.

What are those fees and charges? Dunno. They don't tell me in some obvious way.

While this is fairly good disclosure, it's not until you are inputting your credit card information that you see the "Adult fare rules" linky with each flight that says things like:

"SURCHARGES

IF INFANT WITHOUT A SEAT PSGR UNDER 2. THERE IS NO FUEL SURCHARGE PER FARE COMPONENT FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 9.30 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE ON 16FEB12 FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF 10 PERCENT OF THE FARE PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE ON 17FEB12 FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 9.30 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE ON 01MAR12 FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 9.30 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE ON 02MAR12 FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 9.30 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE ON 08MAR12 FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 27.91 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE ON FRI/SUN ON 09MAR12 FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 18.60 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE ON 10MAR12 FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 27.91 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE ON 11MAR12 FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 9.30 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE ON 12MAR12 FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 9.30 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE ON 15MAR12 FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 27.91 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE ON 16MAR12 FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 18.60 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE ON 17MAR12 FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 37.21 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE ON 18MAR12 FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 9.30 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE ON 19MAR12 FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 18.60 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE ON 22MAR12 FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 27.91 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE ON 23MAR12 FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 18.60 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE ON 24MAR12 FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 27.91 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE ON 25MAR12 FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 9.30 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE ON 26MAR12 FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 18.60 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE ON 29MAR12 FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 37.21 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE ON 30MAR12 FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 18.60 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE ON 31MAR12 FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 27.91 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE ON 01APR12 FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 18.60 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE ON 02APR12 FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 18.60 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE ON 05APR12 FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 9.30 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE ON 06APR12 FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF 20 PERCENT OF THE FARE PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE ON 09APR12 FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 18.60 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE ON 12APR12 FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 27.91 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE ON 13APR12 FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 18.60 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE ON 14APR12 FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 27.91 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE ON 15APR12 FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 9.30 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE ON 10MAY12 FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 9.30 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE ON 11MAY12 FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 9.30 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE ON 14MAY12 FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 9.30 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE ON 17MAY12 FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 9.30 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE ON 18MAY12 FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 9.30 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE ON 20MAY12 FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS PEAK TRAVEL SURCHARGE IS ASSESSED ON A FARE COMPONENT BASIS. AND - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 9.30 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE ON 21MAY12 FOR DEPARTURE OF EACH TRIP. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS PEAK TRAVEL [...]"

which, if you're like me, you'll find impossible to read.

This is not transparent. If you don't like the terms or the additional charges that they do disclose, you have to start over picking a new flight.

It's not impossible for the airlines to make it clear to people who are choosing among different options what the cost of the flight is and what additional charges they may have to pay when they're choosing their flights. Demanding such disclosures isn't some "OMG! SEEKRIT TAXES!!!11" plot.

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Scott.
New The continuing problem is
that this rule does not change what you are complaining about. You will still go to travelocity, and the fares on the different airlines will still vary by a factor of 2 to 3...now, though, they will have buried the taxes in those numbers.

Thats it.

That's all this does.

It does not change how airlines price.
Sure, understanding today's complex world of the future is a little like having bees live in your head. But...there they are.
New No, the problem is customers don't know the price.
When I want to fly to West Overshoe, I don't care that the price includes taxes or fees or surcharges or whatever.

What I care about is 1) how much money am I going to have to give the airline to get on the airplane with the service I believe I will be getting?, and 2) what is that price in relation to the competition? Am I being ripped off because I don't know what the actual final price is?

How much money is coming out of my bank account if I pick this ticket, and how does it compare?

It's that simple.

And yet airlines engage in deceptive practices - imagine that. http://www.dot.gov/a...2012/dot1612.html

[...]

For a period of time in the fall of last year, Finnair displayed three fare advertisements on its website that made no mention of additional taxes and fees that applied to these fares. Instead, once consumers clicked on the advertisements, they were taken to a page on the carrier’s website where taxes and fees were displayed in the fine print at the bottom of the page. In one of the three advertisements, consumers could not see the fine print unless they happened to scroll to the bottom of the page.

Finnair’s website violated DOT rules requiring any advertising that includes a price for air transportation to state the full price to be paid by the consumer, including all carrier-imposed surcharges. Until Jan. 26, 2012, government-imposed taxes and fees assessed on a per-passenger basis, such as passenger facility charges, could be stated separately from the advertised fare but had to be clearly disclosed in the advertisement so that passengers could easily determine the full price to be paid. Internet fare listings were permitted to disclose these separate taxes and fees through a prominent link next to the fare stating that government taxes and fees were extra, and the link had to take the viewer directly to information where the type and amount of taxes and fees were displayed.

Under DOT’s recently adopted consumer rule that enhances protections for air travelers, carriers and ticket agents have been required to include all government taxes and fees in every advertised fare since Jan. 26. DOT’s airline price advertising rules apply to both U.S. and foreign carriers as well as ticket agents.

Yeah, transparent pricing information that enables price comparison is the 4th Horseman coming to take away our freedoms, or something, if you accept Spirit's line.

Yes, there will still be additional fees above the base fare price. The DOT's rule isn't as good as it should be, but it's a heck of a lot better than what was there before.

FWIW.

I think I'm done.

Cheers,
Scott.
     Fight over full-fare rules takes bizarre turn - (lincoln) - (31)
         Not at all bizarre - (beepster) - (13)
             I (the consumer) know MOST products may have some tax - (crazy) - (3)
                 That's fine, but... - (malraux) - (1)
                     Agreed - show the breakdown - (crazy)
                 Then you are buying on the wrong site - (beepster)
             The bizarre part - (lincoln) - (8)
                 Re: The bizarre part - (beepster) - (7)
                     The article didn't say anything about "base fare" - (drook) - (6)
                         They do that already. - (beepster) - (5)
                             Think of a "normal" traveler - (drook) - (4)
                                 You've just stated his point - (beepster) - (3)
                                     It's a stupid point, IMHO. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                         Well then, for consistency - (beepster)
                                     A few thoughts - (S1mon_Jester)
         I don't have words for the idiocy of this stance. - (static) - (16)
             Why only the domestics are screaming... - (scoenye)
             It's a marketing thing. - (Another Scott) - (14)
                 Somewhat - (beepster) - (13)
                     You're not getting it - (drook) - (2)
                         I "get it" and completely disagree - (beepster) - (1)
                             What difference does it make? - (drook)
                     So what's stopping them listing the taxes? - (static) - (9)
                         Perhaps, - (beepster) - (8)
                             Airlines are special - (crazy) - (7)
                                 Why? - (beepster) - (6)
                                     Listen closely ... I'll type slowly - (drook) - (4)
                                         Pay attention - (beepster) - (3)
                                             The problem with this discusion may be... - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                 The continuing problem is - (beepster) - (1)
                                                     No, the problem is customers don't know the price. - (Another Scott)
                                     It's a broken solution to a broken problem. - (static)

It's like dingos mating with elephants: messy loud with lots of snapping and position changes.
84 ms