IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Somewhat
They are licensed, have specific educational requirements, and are subject to legal issues when their designs fail. In almost all cases, their work is reviewed by at least 1 other person, if not dozens. They rarely are the guys actually putting the stuff together (they do prototypes), and their might be production facilities and other aspects of their job, dealing with many people who can call them on their work when it doesn't look right.

And in their case, they have exact mathematical formulas to guide what they build, and catalogs of off the shelf parts (like program libraries, but the specs on those parts are far better than the specs on a 3rd party library), and someone else can say if their design won't hold up based on weight or other factors.

Nope. Yes, conceptually they start out near, but they veer off. I can assume that a licensed experienced engineer can take on a particular type of project, and if he screws it up, it's going to cost him a lot. He does not have the freedom to invent the way a programmer does, he has real world constraints. Programmers can have whatever they can envision, and if envisioned right, the only constraint is the cost of the next server when scaling, which is trivial and pays for itself when needed.

I didn't say greatly affects their reality. I said invents.
New Programmers have real world constraints
Processor budgets, memory budgets, etc.

Try building a huge dynamic Javascript front-end without controlling the client machine and you'll see what I mean.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Sometimes
As I pointed out above, not all programs or programmers have the freedom I am describing, but some do, some of the time. And a few have it almost all the time. If I walk into a job and they ask me to write a program that performs a task, if the compute power isn't available then it will have to be paid for, in support of my decision process.

That will go through some type of review, but what other individual can say that my particular design is wrong, won't work, and be able to prove it beforehand? Good luck on that. They brought be in specifically because I know how to do that type of stuff, and they don't.

And once I have my baseline environment, I'm in charge of all aspects. The subset of systems I work on don't include any browser specific code, and we have as little front end java script as possible.

In my world, if a new server is required, it is in support of a specific revenue stream, so the cost is not a constraint. We love to buy more equipment to make more money. Your real world constraints are not my real world constraints, and constraints vary project by project.

Not do all programmers have the freedom I'm describing. Some do, occasionally.

So the question is: Does anyone else?

And if not, is there any other that is even close, at least for analogy purposes?
Expand Edited by crazy Sept. 27, 2010, 12:35:40 PM EDT
Expand Edited by crazy Sept. 27, 2010, 12:36:51 PM EDT
     What profession invents their reality? - (crazy) - (31)
         artist, religious figure, politician -NT - (boxley) - (10)
             I thought about artist - (crazy) - (5)
                 Economists -NT - (drook) - (4)
                     If I got to invent my reality - (beepster)
                     So basically the answer is no one? -NT - (crazy) - (2)
                         Judges - (scoenye) - (1)
                             Judges win on straight power - (crazy)
             engineers -NT - (beepster) - (3)
                 Somewhat - (crazy) - (2)
                     Programmers have real world constraints - (malraux) - (1)
                         Sometimes - (crazy)
         BTW, I've been doing some gardening - (crazy)
         All creative work does to some degree - (jay) - (3)
             You pretty much covered it - (crazy) - (2)
                 Re: You pretty much covered it - (jay) - (1)
                     Specialty divison doesn't work the same in programming - (crazy)
         Non-programmer responds. - (Ashton) - (3)
             You've read far more into that than I was thinking - (crazy) - (2)
                 Fair enough.. even agree: - (Ashton) - (1)
                     100% - (crazy)
         How I became a tech writer - (mhuber) - (10)
             I know you didn't mean it but - (Silverlock) - (3)
                 Not sure I follow - (mhuber) - (2)
                     Check the word before "mental health facility". :-D -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         DOH! - (mhuber)
             Yeah, it's a balance - (crazy) - (5)
                 That may be the most lucid explanation yet seen re. - (Ashton) - (4)
                     mine sweepers, howsabout aircraft carriers? -NT - (boxley)
                     oh, I meant it - (crazy) - (2)
                         ..Waiting for other shoe to drop - (Ashton) - (1)
                             I saw corp presentations a couple of days ago - (crazy)

I think coming back from the summit was the rather more important achievement.
322 ms