I responded to your fine summary. Not 'worried'. Simply, I'd prefer to plan for the unexpected (then.. follow advice, implicitly: fergeddaboudit.) Comments on the er, efficacy of Time machine (below) -- make that gnarliest of Problems just disappear! Still, takes a while to have That-much new-faith, y'know?

After a few careers involving electrons and moving-things -- I just naturally anticipate gremlins aka MTBF, to keep it simple. I won't be 'testing things' to absurdity; already the sheer elegance of the integration of tasks + truly informative response boxes: confirm the competence that came inside the pretty box.

So, aside from the 3-rule (original, nearby copy + one-more of the rilly Important data elsewhere, say) -- I'm on the path --> Beret'd Believerdom.

(Hell, I turned neighbor onto the total-escape from Beastware.)
Now she has 3 (why 2 nbs + iMac -?- dunno, maybe to get dual core.) But she'll never run ||s or that other Beast-option. Likely: nor I. Can still play with *nix installs on other boxes, best place to practice any involved CL-exercises, I wot.

As-in:
why didn't I sell some dope or nuke secrets and get one of these {sob} Before!? Then get one just as Murica punts / the whole world notes the ineffectivenes of Econ theorists, etc ?? But it's too much fun already.. to imagine any buyer's remorse. Got my 100-pack of Top Ramen, so Bring It On.