IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Appreciations extended; here's one on Rixtools
SMART (the occasional look-in) was on my long list, too. Thanks. Gotta love AI when it works. Got my SATA/IDE -->USB-2 dongle for ripping HDs, complete with tiny PS. Probably use a spare 2.5" in a firewire'd box for Time Machine

I figure I might as well use what (little) i Know fershure and much of hearsay, at the outset -- before there's any data to protect much. So, why not go to the Root before the easy-practical, eh?

Will explore macintouch, a couple others. Seller suggested macosxhints.com and there are a couple more; need to fit site to my 'level'. EX: Rick, of DOS Rixtools fame (samples of his tiny utils I've commented on, way-back) went all Apple-obsessed a couple years back; his brain still works:

Rick has a suite of tools for OSX (wonder if done in assembly !?) at rixstep.com == these are for toilers in the programming salt-mines, mainly it seems -- but I haven't scoped enough to see, in this pricey suite: what/any I'd use or 'need'. Others here would evaluate differently. Rick appears to be pretty Ept.

Now I need to find STOP (loading)in Safari; then start with the migration, get Moz stuff installed ... poco á poco. No hurries. Savor the discoveries, I say. They only happen once.

Love the GUI sudo-in-a-box, but need a shorter PW {sigh} secure OR quick.. OSX-follows-liff. Went to copy a DVD.. talk aboutcher minimalism !!
0-'setup'. It just copies, puts image on desktop, burns, verifies and ... plays well in a Toshiba. Batting 1000.

Handy too, having a sorta Mac-pro a couple hundred feet away; saves asking most of the sillier questions here. Day3 and it hasn't pissed me off yet! How NICE just to leave it sleeping - and Know the OS shall not self destruct.
(Most failures in 'lectronics happen at turn-on/turn-off. Werd which you Know too.)

Gracias,
A.
New Notice you are ignoring everyone else...
that say to just enjoy the machine and use Time-Machine and forget about worrying.
New Not at all
I responded to your fine summary. Not 'worried'. Simply, I'd prefer to plan for the unexpected (then.. follow advice, implicitly: fergeddaboudit.) Comments on the er, efficacy of Time machine (below) -- make that gnarliest of Problems just disappear! Still, takes a while to have That-much new-faith, y'know?

After a few careers involving electrons and moving-things -- I just naturally anticipate gremlins aka MTBF, to keep it simple. I won't be 'testing things' to absurdity; already the sheer elegance of the integration of tasks + truly informative response boxes: confirm the competence that came inside the pretty box.

So, aside from the 3-rule (original, nearby copy + one-more of the rilly Important data elsewhere, say) -- I'm on the path --> Beret'd Believerdom.

(Hell, I turned neighbor onto the total-escape from Beastware.)
Now she has 3 (why 2 nbs + iMac -?- dunno, maybe to get dual core.) But she'll never run ||s or that other Beast-option. Likely: nor I. Can still play with *nix installs on other boxes, best place to practice any involved CL-exercises, I wot.

As-in:
why didn't I sell some dope or nuke secrets and get one of these {sob} Before!? Then get one just as Murica punts / the whole world notes the ineffectivenes of Econ theorists, etc ?? But it's too much fun already.. to imagine any buyer's remorse. Got my 100-pack of Top Ramen, so Bring It On.
     Red beret dusted off ... - (Ashton) - (50)
         just download seamonkey for mac - (boxley) - (1)
             Duh.. didn't think about *nix version of that., too. - (Ashton)
         Use Google bookmarks - (drook) - (9)
             Re: Use Google bookmarks - (Ashton) - (8)
                 There's a FF to Safari conversion solution. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Gracias - promising. - (Ashton)
                 Just exported to check, mine's only 206k - (drook) - (5)
                     you dont remember his old tecra? - (boxley)
                     It's not about the links -- - (Ashton) - (3)
                         You forget, bookmarks is a file. - (folkert) - (2)
                             Yes, have / knew that. - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 If you screw with it... - (folkert)
         Re: Red beret dusted off ... - (pwhysall) - (3)
             Good advice all round. -NT - (folkert)
             Another thing. - (pwhysall)
             Missed Steermouse on first pass ... on list; thanks again. -NT - (Ashton)
         Welcome to the fold! :) - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
             Re: Welcome to the fold! :) - (Ashton) - (2)
                 Lots of solutions for extending 802.11 - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Ah yesss... recall his little experiment, way-back - (Ashton)
         Gracias, all. - (Ashton)
         Get your neighbor one of these: - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             Nice.. - (Ashton)
         Beret fitted en tete, at jaunty angle <;^-) - (Ashton) - (26)
             I'll summon up my best creepy stare... - (Meerkat)
             Welcome! - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 Wow! iStatPro - a center-button click away - (Ashton) - (2)
                     Regarding fans... - (Meerkat) - (1)
                         Great Minds. - (Ashton)
             Look in the system settings somewhere - (folkert)
             Something tells me ... - (drook) - (4)
                 dunno if it would fit over a forage cap -NT - (boxley)
                 Ya gots it.. - (Ashton) - (2)
                     One of these days, Ashton... - (static) - (1)
                         Yeah, well.. will soon have a Place to store cute stuff -- - (Ashton)
             OK.. LAST Newbie post .... for a decent interval. - (Ashton) - (14)
                 You'll soon learn to... - (folkert) - (1)
                     ICLPRD - (static)
                 iStat Menus, MenuMeters, Internet Disconnect 2.1 - (Another Scott) - (11)
                     Nice sleuthing, once again - - (Ashton) - (10)
                         You are applying broken ideals to... - (folkert) - (4)
                             Sometimes one does need those tools. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                 Appreciations extended; here's one on Rixtools - (Ashton) - (2)
                                     Notice you are ignoring everyone else... - (folkert) - (1)
                                         Not at all - (Ashton)
                         Instead of fussing about SpinRite or similar... - (pwhysall) - (4)
                             Arr - (Steve Lowe) - (3)
                                 Awe inspiring.. - (Ashton) - (2)
                                     My drive if connected and case turned on... - (folkert)
                                     Default TM preferences: - (mvitale)

Have your cake and drink it too!
144 ms