IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Red beret dusted off ...
Going through in order:

Safari's fine, unless there's a particular Firefox plugin you need or you're mentally chained to Firefox. Safari can import Firefox bookmarks.

Mail is better than Thunderbird with respect to search and backup; Thunderbird stuffs your shee into one big file, whereas Mail has one file per message. Mail can import your Thunderbird mailbox.

I tend towards native Cocoa applications because they reap the benefits of things like text services (all Cocoa text entry boxes have on-the-fly spelling and grammar checking, for example) and because they just look nicer.

Thunderbird's erratic treatment of IMAP is also annoying; it doesn't seem to check for messages anywhere other than the inbox, which is quite frankly pants. That's underpants, not trousers. PANTS, I SAY!

I have a 24" iMac with a 256MB nVidia 7600GT; this quite happily runs at 1920x1200 in millions of colours.

Airport is wifi. It'll work or it won't just like any other wifi adapter. 70 metres is wildly optimistic, unless you have nothing other than air between the laptop and the AP.

Have a go with Safari, and install the Inquisitor add-on. Consider using Privoxy for ad-blocking (better, in my experience, than ABP on Firefox).

If you've got a stiffy for Gecko, consider Camino. It's a Gecko browser that has a proper Cocoa interface, unlike Firefox (which just fakes its Cocoa interface elements).

There are other browsers, like OmniWeb and Opera, but they add little to the browsing experience other than unfamiliar interfaces.

Picasa for OS X is cack; I'm pretty sure the same will be true of Chrome (and, let's face it, no web browser written by Google is going to have anything resembling a decent ad blocking solution). Google's applications for OS X aren't great, in the main. Google Earth is pretty good though.

I wouldn't bother installing Adobe Reader unless you have a PDF that's unmanageable in Preview.

You might want to investigate Adium for multi-protocol IM, GPG Keychain Access for managing any GPG bits you've got and Steermouse for controlling extra mouse buttons.
New Good advice all round.
New Another thing.
OS X has a decent port of Celestia, for your interstellar meanderings.
New Missed Steermouse on first pass ... on list; thanks again.
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
-- H.L. Mencken
     Red beret dusted off ... - (Ashton) - (50)
         just download seamonkey for mac - (boxley) - (1)
             Duh.. didn't think about *nix version of that., too. - (Ashton)
         Use Google bookmarks - (drook) - (9)
             Re: Use Google bookmarks - (Ashton) - (8)
                 There's a FF to Safari conversion solution. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Gracias - promising. - (Ashton)
                 Just exported to check, mine's only 206k - (drook) - (5)
                     you dont remember his old tecra? - (boxley)
                     It's not about the links -- - (Ashton) - (3)
                         You forget, bookmarks is a file. - (folkert) - (2)
                             Yes, have / knew that. - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 If you screw with it... - (folkert)
         Re: Red beret dusted off ... - (pwhysall) - (3)
             Good advice all round. -NT - (folkert)
             Another thing. - (pwhysall)
             Missed Steermouse on first pass ... on list; thanks again. -NT - (Ashton)
         Welcome to the fold! :) - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
             Re: Welcome to the fold! :) - (Ashton) - (2)
                 Lots of solutions for extending 802.11 - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Ah yesss... recall his little experiment, way-back - (Ashton)
         Gracias, all. - (Ashton)
         Get your neighbor one of these: - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             Nice.. - (Ashton)
         Beret fitted en tete, at jaunty angle <;^-) - (Ashton) - (26)
             I'll summon up my best creepy stare... - (Meerkat)
             Welcome! - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 Wow! iStatPro - a center-button click away - (Ashton) - (2)
                     Regarding fans... - (Meerkat) - (1)
                         Great Minds. - (Ashton)
             Look in the system settings somewhere - (folkert)
             Something tells me ... - (drook) - (4)
                 dunno if it would fit over a forage cap -NT - (boxley)
                 Ya gots it.. - (Ashton) - (2)
                     One of these days, Ashton... - (static) - (1)
                         Yeah, well.. will soon have a Place to store cute stuff -- - (Ashton)
             OK.. LAST Newbie post .... for a decent interval. - (Ashton) - (14)
                 You'll soon learn to... - (folkert) - (1)
                     ICLPRD - (static)
                 iStat Menus, MenuMeters, Internet Disconnect 2.1 - (Another Scott) - (11)
                     Nice sleuthing, once again - - (Ashton) - (10)
                         You are applying broken ideals to... - (folkert) - (4)
                             Sometimes one does need those tools. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                 Appreciations extended; here's one on Rixtools - (Ashton) - (2)
                                     Notice you are ignoring everyone else... - (folkert) - (1)
                                         Not at all - (Ashton)
                         Instead of fussing about SpinRite or similar... - (pwhysall) - (4)
                             Arr - (Steve Lowe) - (3)
                                 Awe inspiring.. - (Ashton) - (2)
                                     My drive if connected and case turned on... - (folkert)
                                     Default TM preferences: - (mvitale)

Like going to ELIZA for therapy...
90 ms