IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New My cat, also.
Thank you very much for your reply, it gave me a great deal to ponder. 56 years later, not much has really changed. Politicians wash in and out of office like rotting kelp on the autumn tide. There are wars and rumors of wars.

Two things come to mind with respect to humankind, et al:

1. Bought this about 3-4 years ago, fascinating reading.
[link|http://www.amazon.com/Parasite-Rex-Bizarre-Dangerous-Creatures/dp/074320011X/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-8746655-9167835?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1193242687&sr=8-2|http://www.amazon.co...1193242687&sr=8-2]

"Zimmer concludes that humankind itself is a new kind of parasite, one that preys on the entire Earth. "

2. George Carlin's "The Planet Is Fine"

[...] "Besides, there is nothing wrong with the planet. Nothing wrong with the planet. The planet is fine. The PEOPLE are fucked. "

It can be seen on YouTube or the transcript is here:
[link|http://www.habitablezone.com/flame/messages/420992.html|http://www.habitable...sages/420992.html]

So here's a toast to Klaatu, wherever you are, and thank you again, Ashton, for your careful and considered posting.
New Mrrrowr
A nicely provocative selection.. and thanks for kind words. I fear that Michael Rennie has left the stage, though his performance is immortalized - now on DVD. (My first comm'l tape purchase ever, was a Beta copy of TDTESS; it's still good fi.)

Carlin - His Napalm and Silly Putty wasn't up to previous, I thought though he's always irreverent enough for me. But this gem, only a year old - makes clear he hasn't lost focus: we Are (mostly) the arrogant pricks he adequately describes. Yep 200 years.. VS 4.5 Big Ones - and already we're aiming for radionuclides galore: ever in-the-name-of various Princes of Peace\ufffd.

It's also the 50th for Ginsburg's Howl - still as topical as the day its ban was attempted by the SF PeeDee. (Should have had my early one signed! I was living in SF then.)

Parasites.. pretty good metaphor, sadly - reminds of a similar book, "Life on Man" and those scary looking minidragons which inhabit our eyebrows. Another variant: the wag who noted that - seen from space, as you near the planet - "Man's works appear grey - man appears to be a planetary parasite." QED
Apparently "everything-IS-connected-to Everything else"! as Ashley Brilliant's cute postcard (on fridge) reminds.

Was pondering recently, how it was that (as in my early classes too) 'we' so abjectly infantilize our kids with BS pap about our perpetual National Goodness; I was trying to recall actual moments when - a piece of the pap-fabric was 'found out', rendered forever as another small tile in the mosaic of The Larger Lie? Two came immediately:

One.. a summer in Lewiston, Idaho, before starting in an Institute in fall: working in world's largest white pine mill. A dept. store salesman friend of the (school friend's) family with whom I was staying, mentioned both Veblen and Philip Wylie's *'momism' opus [[link|http://www.library.csi.cuny.edu/dept/history/lavender/momism.html|Generation of Vipers]] -- apparently plumbing the depths of my callowness and seeing the need for a prod or two. (Thanks! guy..)

* Written '42: Twenty printings by 1955. (Wonder if anyone still reads Wylie? Clearly they don't read Sinclair Lewis's take on home-grown fascism of the '30s.)

But well prior to that summer (and *cough* a solo accomplishment) I recall vividly the comic book story [Captain Marvel, most likely] which 'explained' with perfect brevity: what Waste is! -- all in an only seemingly-trite plot involving an alien "stealing street signs because his planet was running out of iron.."

Nay, twas crystalline in its clarity, though only years later was I able to see an Example, then immediately recall the story. (Physics later on, merely gave the tools to Measure the sorts of waste: energy or objects, or maybe if one includes information theory? the 'waste' of bloviating.) Al punte, beyond any of the required texts later.

I do not comprehend how it is that that there are people 50+ today.. who never got past the sensibilities of my pre-cog Lewiston summer. Something in US water which puts a %large of neurons in stasis? There's good news amidst the daily dross, though -- it seems to be always the case that, <1% of the population only ever 'Does' anything. Now if one ever finds self in the majority, well - -

Hard to bear that we have before us: One Whole Year of the asinine and crass Murican-politico Lying / routine character assassination - before any Action is even possible. Ah, to be on Corfu for that year! With NO wireless netstuff. Mail once a month?

Ashton

New Youth
>>> ...apparently plumbing the depths of my callowness and seeing the need for a prod or two.

Ah, callow youth. I, too was pointed to that very tome (..Vipers) while a sophomore in high school. This led to a reading binge which included Vance Packard (Hidden Persuaders), Lionel Tiger (Imperial Animal), Ashley Montegue (Natual Superiority of Women), Konrad Lorenz (On Aggression) and many, many others. Hasn't stopped now, 4-5 decades later. (Of course, my parents helped - led me to the Chicago Public Library and said "this door is not locked".)

For better or worse, school is the place to set youth on their future path. Too bad so many districts suffer from low budgets and other woes.

Thanks for the memory jog!
Expand Edited by dmcarls Oct. 25, 2007, 09:45:42 AM EDT
New Thanks for the reading list
I consider myself well-read, but now find I have some catching-up to do.

Onward to the library!
Smile,
Amy
     Turkish / Iraq border on verge of open warfare - (JayMehaffey) - (24)
         Remind me, why exactly should these Asiatic... - (CRConrad) - (23)
             Few countries are as bad as Pakistan - (warmachine) - (10)
                 {sigh} There really Isn't much to be said, currently - (Ashton) - (6)
                     Re: {sigh} There really Isn't much to be said, currently - (dmcarls) - (5)
                         Sure, I 'count on that effect', too - - (Ashton) - (4)
                             My cat, also. - (dmcarls) - (3)
                                 Mrrrowr - (Ashton) - (2)
                                     Youth - (dmcarls) - (1)
                                         Thanks for the reading list - (imqwerky)
                 For various values of Turkey... - (scoenye) - (2)
                     Damn! My Turkish geography isn't as good as I thought. - (warmachine)
                     it isnt much better in Sicillian villages -NT - (boxley)
             Iraq is joining the euro union? - (boxley) - (11)
                 What the ... - (CRConrad) - (9)
                     okies - (boxley) - (8)
                         You know, that's not nearly as silly as it sounds. - (static)
                         Byzantium was not Turkey. - (CRConrad) - (6)
                             1918 was centuries ago? one maybe - (boxley) - (5)
                                 "Lots"? Consult a freaking map, you nitwit - it's ONE CITY! -NT - (CRConrad) - (4)
                                     thrace is not a city, its a province - (boxley) - (3)
                                         Single city and a wee bit of surrounding countryside, sheesh - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                             like we dont have trouble keeping them out now - (boxley) - (1)
                                                 That would be the Neighborhood policy - (scoenye)
                 Disregard, fumble-fingered duplicate -NT - (CRConrad)

More aluminum-magnesium batons than you can shake a leg at.
160 ms