IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Good News. And Thank You All...
for the kind thoughts, encouragement, etc.

I met with the my daughter's teacher, the teacher who allegedly stood by and the principal. The teacher who didn't do anything said she didn't see it, that there were many children she was charged with watching and she apologized saying she certainly would have intervened. She seemed honest and genuinely upset that this happened. I wasn't there, it's entirely possible that it was over before she glanced my daughter's way.

My daughter's teacher was upset with the two students leading the antagonism (my daughter told me later that he took them aside as they headed out for recess and must have admonished them because they both apologized to my daughter). Then the teacher did something I really liked. He changed his history lesson for the day and they studied the evolution of the PoA, including Ike's adding of "Under God" AND the court cases involved (WV Board of Education vs. Barnette - or Barrette, I can't remember, in 1942). Then a classroom discussion was held where the students listed possible reasons for and against making the pledge!

The kids didn't kick her, I understand now. But they did knock her down and stomp her hand with their feet (she has bruises to show for it).

At any rate, I'm pleased with the way the teacher handled the situation. And interestingly, once the discussion turned to "why wouldn't some one want to say the pledge?" my daughter said, "Well, I think we're overdoing this a little. I mean, if we keep this up, I think we're heading in a bad way." Because of her statements and several others raised by other children, several other students have decided not to say the pledge. No, marlowe, I'm not really happy about that except indirectly. I am VERY happy that a classroom of 11 year-olds is actually thinking about what their country is doing and that they are FREE to decide for themselves whether or not it is appropriate.

Thanks again guys and sorry if I went overboard on the ranting,
Mikem
New Congrats!
And I like the teacher doing the lesson on the origins of TPoA.
New Relieved to hear..
Actually, "not having seen the foray" is the explanation I'd have hoped for - I find it still difficult to imagine any teacher in 2002: actually condoning that stimulus/response. (Or any teacher who has not read Golding's Lord of the Flies, for that matter)

Finally - it's a positive result when your daughter didn't have to next confront an Us/Them dichotomy for the rest of her term - because nobody wanted to discuss the Issue. Perhaps this little contretemps and its result, of better discussion - shall reinforce your daughter's (already advanced) sense of the appropriateness of speaking up (or 'not-speaking' that which you don't accept, in present case).

Cheers,

Ashton

Hey! maybe her class can invite Marlowe to give the counter-case! - for unconditional Jingoism every time. I'd bet they'd see right through the sophistry and go for the jugular. Wouldn't it be fun to see that POV dismantled by a bunch of 11-year olds?
New Ashton, stop it!
Don't tease 'em, they bite.
With this much manure around, there must be a pony somewhere.
New Re: Us/Them dichotomy avoided - good thing indeed.
     Something's (blowing) up in Kandhar - (marlowe) - (50)
         From the mouths of babes. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
             what does she do during the prayer? (duck) -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                 Don't... - (Simon_Jester)
             Tall oaks from little acorns - (Ashton)
         Why quote only the worst part? - (Arkadiy) - (45)
             `Coz I'm a sensationalist at heart. - (marlowe) - (44)
                 that is the way it should be, parents brainwashing first - (boxley) - (43)
                     Hey, I'm not defending the public school system. - (marlowe) - (42)
                         So, the WTC death tally was less than "very minimal"? - (mmoffitt) - (23)
                             If the total for Afghanistan is as accurate as - (Arkadiy) - (19)
                                 Again, WTF? - (Brandioch) - (18)
                                     Well said. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                     Based on... - (Arkadiy) - (13)
                                         Something doesn't add up. - (Brandioch) - (12)
                                             No, it adds up. - (marlowe)
                                             War's target... - (Arkadiy) - (10)
                                                 Hmmmm, I must have been tuned to the wrong war. - (Brandioch) - (9)
                                                     "Original" being the key word. - (Arkadiy) - (8)
                                                         And that makes sense to you? - (Brandioch) - (7)
                                                             Taleban was not just an "obstacle". - (Arkadiy) - (6)
                                                                 Well, that was going to be my point. - (Brandioch) - (5)
                                                                     Maybe we'll be lucky - (wharris2)
                                                                     What IS your point, Grasshopper? - (gtall) - (3)
                                                                         You've missed the moral high ground. - (Brandioch) - (2)
                                                                             Re: You've missed the moral high ground. - (gtall) - (1)
                                                                                 *sigh* - (Brandioch)
                                     I could almost replace you with a script. - (marlowe) - (2)
                                         And I could replace you with a jar of mayonaise. - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                             save it till yer 21 -NT - (boxley)
                             Marc Herold's numbers are wrong - (neelk) - (2)
                                 What are Taliban numbers? - (gtall) - (1)
                                     I suspect - (mhuber)
                         One more thing. Now, I'm mad. - (mmoffitt) - (17)
                             do teach her to defend herself - (boxley)
                             As should anyone be.. - (Ashton)
                             She's a better person than they are. - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                 well mike is in CA where a teacher would lose the job if - (boxley)
                             You and your daughter have my sincere admiration - (Silverlock)
                             Well, now you've framed me up nicely. - (marlowe) - (6)
                                 My heart goes out this this child - (marlowe) - (3)
                                     Your mind must be an interesting place to inhabit. - (Brandioch) - (2)
                                         Just trying to put things in perspective. - (marlowe) - (1)
                                             Really? - (Brandioch)
                                 Nahh.. you built the box, and keep reinforcing the walls - (Ashton)
                                 Marlowe, just change yer username to Ginger -NT - (boxley)
                             Good News. And Thank You All... - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                 Congrats! - (Brandioch)
                                 Relieved to hear.. - (Ashton) - (2)
                                     Ashton, stop it! - (Silverlock)
                                     Re: Us/Them dichotomy avoided - good thing indeed. -NT - (mmoffitt)

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
85 ms