IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New From the mouths of babes.
My daughter is 11 and she asked me three days ago, "Dad, I am so tired of saying the Pledge of Allegiance. Do I have to say it?" She informed me that every morning since 9/11 the whole class recites the pledge. I asked her if her teacher explained that saying it was voluntary. She said he didn't. I said, "Well, why don't you ask him about that? Ask him if the Supreme Court has ever had anything to say about reciting the Pledge of Allegiance."

The next day I asked if she'd spoken to her teacher. She said, "No. I just stood up and said it. I don't want to get into trouble." I struggled with that for a day. The next day I asked if she'd said the pledge and she said, "Nope." I said, "You didn't? What did you do?" She said, "I just sat there doing my work." Then I said, "Why don't you want to say the pledge? I mean, you're not going to get in trouble either way, I'm just curious."

She said, "Well, I think they're overdoing this stuff about the airliners and stuff. I mean, there weren't any Afghan people in those planes and look what we did. It doesn't seem right to me."

I told her I was very proud of her. That despite pressure to conform, she stuck to what she thought was right and that was a very brave thing to do.

Her teacher hasn't asked her about not saying the pledge, but one of her friends did. When asked by her friend why she didn't stand up and say the pledge, my little libertarian said, "Because the law says I don't have to if I don't want to."

Brings tears to this old Lefty's eyes.
bcnu,
Mikem

-I'd have a sig, but we Americans have to "watch what we say, watch what we do now."
New what does she do during the prayer? (duck)
Mike Doogan
"Then there's figure skating and ice dancing and snowboarding. The winners are all chosen by judges. That's not sports. That's politics. And curling? If curling is a sport, pork rinds are a health food."
New Don't...
Florida is debating a law to allow for student led prayer in school right now. Given the current mood of the country - it's likely to pass.

Unforuately for everyone involved, it is generally assumed that the only prayer that students would lead would be Christian prayer.

I know that's not the prayer that I planned to lead when I was in school.... <grin>
New Tall oaks from little acorns
grow.. (to coin a phrase ;-)

"Don't want to.." seems particularly apt. Since every "coerced oath" is invalid on the face of it - a Pledge of Allegiance comes from the heart or it is pure shit and also language Murder.

Please bestow an honorary Brevity Award on this nascent authentic Citizen, for me.. Now if she can escape the tyranny of the conforming local 'school clique of Logo consumers' too! - tell her I'll marry her in my next incarnation :-\ufffd

Ashton
     Something's (blowing) up in Kandhar - (marlowe) - (50)
         From the mouths of babes. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
             what does she do during the prayer? (duck) -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                 Don't... - (Simon_Jester)
             Tall oaks from little acorns - (Ashton)
         Why quote only the worst part? - (Arkadiy) - (45)
             `Coz I'm a sensationalist at heart. - (marlowe) - (44)
                 that is the way it should be, parents brainwashing first - (boxley) - (43)
                     Hey, I'm not defending the public school system. - (marlowe) - (42)
                         So, the WTC death tally was less than "very minimal"? - (mmoffitt) - (23)
                             If the total for Afghanistan is as accurate as - (Arkadiy) - (19)
                                 Again, WTF? - (Brandioch) - (18)
                                     Well said. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                     Based on... - (Arkadiy) - (13)
                                         Something doesn't add up. - (Brandioch) - (12)
                                             No, it adds up. - (marlowe)
                                             War's target... - (Arkadiy) - (10)
                                                 Hmmmm, I must have been tuned to the wrong war. - (Brandioch) - (9)
                                                     "Original" being the key word. - (Arkadiy) - (8)
                                                         And that makes sense to you? - (Brandioch) - (7)
                                                             Taleban was not just an "obstacle". - (Arkadiy) - (6)
                                                                 Well, that was going to be my point. - (Brandioch) - (5)
                                                                     Maybe we'll be lucky - (wharris2)
                                                                     What IS your point, Grasshopper? - (gtall) - (3)
                                                                         You've missed the moral high ground. - (Brandioch) - (2)
                                                                             Re: You've missed the moral high ground. - (gtall) - (1)
                                                                                 *sigh* - (Brandioch)
                                     I could almost replace you with a script. - (marlowe) - (2)
                                         And I could replace you with a jar of mayonaise. - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                             save it till yer 21 -NT - (boxley)
                             Marc Herold's numbers are wrong - (neelk) - (2)
                                 What are Taliban numbers? - (gtall) - (1)
                                     I suspect - (mhuber)
                         One more thing. Now, I'm mad. - (mmoffitt) - (17)
                             do teach her to defend herself - (boxley)
                             As should anyone be.. - (Ashton)
                             She's a better person than they are. - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                 well mike is in CA where a teacher would lose the job if - (boxley)
                             You and your daughter have my sincere admiration - (Silverlock)
                             Well, now you've framed me up nicely. - (marlowe) - (6)
                                 My heart goes out this this child - (marlowe) - (3)
                                     Your mind must be an interesting place to inhabit. - (Brandioch) - (2)
                                         Just trying to put things in perspective. - (marlowe) - (1)
                                             Really? - (Brandioch)
                                 Nahh.. you built the box, and keep reinforcing the walls - (Ashton)
                                 Marlowe, just change yer username to Ginger -NT - (boxley)
                             Good News. And Thank You All... - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                 Congrats! - (Brandioch)
                                 Relieved to hear.. - (Ashton) - (2)
                                     Ashton, stop it! - (Silverlock)
                                     Re: Us/Them dichotomy avoided - good thing indeed. -NT - (mmoffitt)

It's Zeus. He's taking you away to the Acropolis.
71 ms