IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New If you're used to it (and careful), it's manageable.
People here can do it, because that's what they've always done. (And of course it helps that we have pretty competent plowing-and-sanding crews, too.) But of course in the absolute majority of situations, front- (or even better, four-) -wheel-drive is *better*, in winter conditions.

Sorry, the Ox is blowing smoke: Sure, you can get sharper turns on shiny ice with the (rear-wheel) hand brake in stead of the ABS system -- but just *how desirable* is the ability to do a pirouette on ice, and exactly *how often* do situations where it is, occur?
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New Not the handbrake, remove the ABS fuse
you are on glare ice needing to make a left at an intersection, you turn the wheel, nothing happens you are still travelling forward. You brake hard turn wheel all the way release brake and vehicle pivots in the direction of travel. With abs you cannot get a "lock" condition so it doesnt work as well. In Sweden and other northern climbs, plowing and sanding is done regularly. In Alaska it is considered an option behind everything else you could think of. My tenants have told me that the street has not seen a plow or a grader yet this winter despite lots of snow rain and freezes. My house in in the middle (sort of ) the city in a regular neighborhood. They said last year the road was only plowed once.
thanx,
bill
My Dreams aren't as empty as my conscience seems to be
New "[Y]ou turn the wheel, nothing happens"; y'know what that...
...means? It means you're going to fast for the conditions, that's what. BRRRPPHT, sorry, this participant is disqualified for violating Rule One!

And *if*, for once, by mistake, you happen to get into a "you turn the wheel, nothing happens" situation, then you don't need all that lock-all-the-wheels tomfoolery that would require disabling the ABS anyway -- just declutch, and you're free-rolling jut the same whether your car is RWD or FWD...

Ooooh, I *see*: ...As long as it's manual-clutched! *That's* the problem, I think: You guys have to resort to fiddling with the safety equipment, because you insist on buying cars without real gear boxes and clutches.

I'll revise my recommendation: Learn to shift and dump the stupid auto, in stead.
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New Agreement there
If you're sliding, you're going too quickly.

As I said elsewhere, I need to not get stuck, not have better handling on ice.

WRT to a manual transmission, that's what I drive now. Unfortunately, my wife is incapable of learning a stick shift (it's a basic miswiring in her brain, not will to learn), so my next car has to be automatic so she can use it if necessary.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New get into a parking lot try it and report back
If you are on glare ice 5mph is often 2 fast. Turn wheel, nothing happens is momentum in the direction of travel due to slickness, tapping the brake is easier than dragging the shifter down a notch, yes I prefer manually shifted cars but my wife certainly does not and agree manuals are decidedly safer to drive.
thats why the common name for an aurtomatic is a slushbox.
thanx,
bill
My Dreams aren't as empty as my conscience seems to be
New Ah, I see: Good only down to "Slush" on the thermometer! :-)
     The new whine is out - (boxley) - (59)
         It's a SAAB! ___It's a GM___ It's a - (Ashton) - (58)
             "Viggen", meaning "Thunderbolt" (from Mjolnir). HTH! -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                 Thanx; too lazy to look for early Saab brochure.. :( -NT - (Ashton)
             It's a Volvo! ___It's a Ford___ It's a - (a6l6e6x) - (55)
                 {sigh} Murican taste(lessness) has made whores of - (Ashton)
                 NOOOOOOOOO!!! - (inthane-chan) - (53)
                     My sentiments, exactly. - (a6l6e6x)
                     Mitsuoka. - (Meerkat) - (1)
                         Bah humbug - they're deeply "influenced" by Clenet! - (CRConrad)
                     Oh, shaddapayafaces! Ferchrissake, *relax*, guys... - (CRConrad) - (49)
                         Re: Never heard of the S60? - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                             But then, *why should* anything have "followed" the V70?!? - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                 Re: But then, *why should* anything have "followed" the V70? - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                     Nope, it ain't gonna vanish - not anytime soon, anyway. - (CRConrad)
                         If ya want to do an SUV do it right - (boxley) - (2)
                             No way... - (bepatient) - (1)
                                 6 weber carbs? fsck that, spend all yer time tuning -NT - (boxley)
                         So what do you drive in the snow over there? -NT - (admin) - (41)
                             30-year-old rear-wheel-drive Volvo 142s etc; what else? -NT - (CRConrad) - (40)
                                 Ah... right... -NT - (admin) - (36)
                                     Really, seriously, we do; I remember a statistic... - (CRConrad) - (35)
                                         But how well does a rear-wheel car do in the snow? -NT - (admin) - (19)
                                             with posi rearend much better than front wheel drive - (boxley) - (12)
                                                 That seems counter-intuitive. - (admin) - (11)
                                                     4 wheel drive is geared towards additional traction in deep - (boxley) - (8)
                                                         OK, that makes sense. - (admin) - (7)
                                                             no studs and >1ft snow low subd speeds? All wheel drive -NT - (boxley)
                                                             Tires and Torque. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                                                 Not necessarily. - (admin) - (4)
                                                                     dumb question, sandbags in the trunk? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                         Hatchback. - (admin)
                                                                     No it ain't... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                                         Pedantic indeed. - (admin)
                                                     I don't know about 4wd... - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                                         Doesn't jibe with my experience. - (admin)
                                             If you're used to it (and careful), it's manageable. - (CRConrad) - (5)
                                                 Not the handbrake, remove the ABS fuse - (boxley) - (4)
                                                     "[Y]ou turn the wheel, nothing happens"; y'know what that... - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                                         Agreement there - (admin)
                                                         get into a parking lot try it and report back - (boxley) - (1)
                                                             Ah, I see: Good only down to "Slush" on the thermometer! :-) -NT - (CRConrad)
                                         Re: replace his '98 Volvo with? - (a6l6e6x) - (9)
                                             Woo, air-con! - But, I can't afford such a *luxury* car! ;-) -NT - (CRConrad) - (8)
                                                 Air-con not quite a luxury here in .au - (Meerkat) - (7)
                                                     You hardly ever want to accelerate and brake simultaneously. -NT - (CRConrad) - (5)
                                                         True! - (Meerkat) - (4)
                                                             Whatcha driving now, a Jose'? :-) -NT - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                                                 Don't spose anyone else calls 'em "spanish cars" - (Meerkat) - (2)
                                                                     Naah, British usage too. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                                         Manuel on purpose. I'm just bored at work :) - (Meerkat)
                                                     driving on ice, cars fer let - (boxley)
                                         Volvo:Saab ratio in Finland? - (Ashton) - (4)
                                             Dunno exactly; a bit more Volvos than SAABs, I think. - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                                 I could be wrong about *good* ABS, of course. - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                     newer used car buying advice - (boxley) - (1)
                                                         Good advice. - (Ashton)
                                 Qualifies to be an antique! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                                     Sadly, not Over Here; that's pre-1920 or sumthin', IIRC! :-) - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                         here classic is >20 years antique I dunno -NT - (boxley)

Finito, bay-bee...
86 ms