IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New That seems counter-intuitive.
As the front-wheel drive car has all the weight over the wheels.

How does it compare to 4WD?
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New 4 wheel drive is geared towards additional traction in deep
snow somewhat useless in glare ice situations. Yes the weight is over the wheels but the turn radius is much larger. Traction in rear wheel vehicles is sufficient except in hub deep snow where 4 wheel is better. Studs or chains on a rearwheel will give all the traction you need with better manueverability.
thanx,
bill
4 wheel drive a way of saying stuck deeper and further.
My Dreams aren't as empty as my conscience seems to be
New OK, that makes sense.
What I have to deal with here is no snow on the main roads, and typically 6" to 1 foot in the subdivision. Since I can't stop to put chains on and studs are illegal here, from what you're telling me a 4WD would work best.

In my experience, the traction of my RWD Mustang is not sufficient in any snow. The FWD minivan does much better in our subdivision.

I'm not concerned about sliding and the like. I'm concerned about not getting stuck over and over again (like last year) in my subdivision. :-)
Regards,

-scott anderson

New no studs and >1ft snow low subd speeds? All wheel drive
New Tires and Torque.
Hi Scott,

In my experience, the traction of my RWD Mustang is not sufficient in any snow. The FWD minivan does much better in our subdivision.

Apples and oranges. :-)

Your Mustang probably has wider "performance" tires while your minivan has narrower all-season tires. Your Mustang has lots more torque than your MV. And, your Mustang has little weight on the driving tires while the MV has lots. If your Mustang is a manual transmission car and while your MV is an automatic, that makes a difference too.

It's not just FWD vs RWD. :-)

Tires make a big difference as stories in Car and Driver and the like make clear. [link|http://www.hehd.clemson.edu/PRTM/special/GH/Drive.htm|Here's] a nice cheat-sheet on driving on snow. [link|http://www.epinions.com/content_41628634756|Here's] an epinions piece talking about the wonders of Blizzak snow tires on a 1995 Mustang in Michigan.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Not necessarily.
Your Mustang probably has wider "performance" tires while your minivan has narrower all-season tires.

Somewhat wider, yes, but the same BF Goodrich All Season Radials. :-)

When there is so much snow that even narrow tires don't reach the pavement, or the pavement underneath is ice, the wider tires should actually do better.

Your Mustang has lots more torque than your MV.

Very true, but I know better than to torque the tires in the snow. I tend to start off in second gear during the winter.

And, your Mustang has little weight on the driving tires while the MV has lots.

Which is a function of RWD vs. FWD.

If your Mustang is a manual transmission car and while your MV is an automatic, that makes a difference too.

Yes, the manual should be easier to drive in the snow due to the greater control over the application of power.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New dumb question, sandbags in the trunk?
New Hatchback.
Good way to get decapitated in an accident. :-)
Regards,

-scott anderson

New No it ain't...
A Scott:
[Quoting another:]
And, your Mustang has little weight on the driving tires while the MV has lots.
Which is a function of RWD vs. FWD.
Naah: The Porsche 911 is rear-wheel-drive, and it's got most of its weight on the driving wheels.

Pedantically yours,
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New Pedantic indeed.
For most of the RWD vehicles that I'm ever likely to drive, then. :-)
Regards,

-scott anderson

New I don't know about 4wd...
...but I too prefer a rear-wheel drive Volvo station wagon to a front-wheel drive US car.

A few years ago, we had one of those city-wide shutdowns - 1.5 feet of snow on everything. Nobody went anywhere, and those who did generally got stuck.

Except for me.

My wife was working at a group home as a caregiver for people with cerebral palsy, and nobody could get there because the cars kept getting stuck. So I drove her there and back, over and over, along with the rest of the staff, for the week it took to unbury the city.

The key to driving a rwd vehicle is that you're driving a boat, not a car, when it's snowy or icy. The car continues in motion in the direction you were headed instead of instantly turning. As long as you remember that, you don't have that much of a problem.

Also, not having to worry about snow drifts is quite handy. If you drive into something that you can't get through, you just back out of it. With fwd, you're stuck.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New Doesn't jibe with my experience.
My RWD car gets stuck in snow all the time. And our driveway is 1) inclined fairly steeply and 2) has no straight shot -- corner lot, two quick turns to get into it then up the hill.

The FWD minivan has no problems at all with the same driveway.
Regards,

-scott anderson

The new whine is out - (boxley) - (59)
         It's a SAAB! ___It's a GM___ It's a - (Ashton) - (58)
             "Viggen", meaning "Thunderbolt" (from Mjolnir). HTH! -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                 Thanx; too lazy to look for early Saab brochure.. :( -NT - (Ashton)
             It's a Volvo! ___It's a Ford___ It's a - (a6l6e6x) - (55)
                 {sigh} Murican taste(lessness) has made whores of - (Ashton)
                 NOOOOOOOOO!!! - (inthane-chan) - (53)
                     My sentiments, exactly. - (a6l6e6x)
                     Mitsuoka. - (Meerkat) - (1)
                         Bah humbug - they're deeply "influenced" by Clenet! - (CRConrad)
                     Oh, shaddapayafaces! Ferchrissake, *relax*, guys... - (CRConrad) - (49)
                         Re: Never heard of the S60? - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                             But then, *why should* anything have "followed" the V70?!? - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                 Re: But then, *why should* anything have "followed" the V70? - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                     Nope, it ain't gonna vanish - not anytime soon, anyway. - (CRConrad)
                         If ya want to do an SUV do it right - (boxley) - (2)
                             No way... - (bepatient) - (1)
                                 6 weber carbs? fsck that, spend all yer time tuning -NT - (boxley)
                         So what do you drive in the snow over there? -NT - (admin) - (41)
                             30-year-old rear-wheel-drive Volvo 142s etc; what else? -NT - (CRConrad) - (40)
                                 Ah... right... -NT - (admin) - (36)
                                     Really, seriously, we do; I remember a statistic... - (CRConrad) - (35)
                                         But how well does a rear-wheel car do in the snow? -NT - (admin) - (19)
                                             with posi rearend much better than front wheel drive - (boxley) - (12)
                                                 That seems counter-intuitive. - (admin) - (11)
                                                     4 wheel drive is geared towards additional traction in deep - (boxley) - (8)
                                                         OK, that makes sense. - (admin) - (7)
                                                             no studs and >1ft snow low subd speeds? All wheel drive -NT - (boxley)
                                                             Tires and Torque. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                                                 Not necessarily. - (admin) - (4)
                                                                     dumb question, sandbags in the trunk? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                         Hatchback. - (admin)
                                                                     No it ain't... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                                         Pedantic indeed. - (admin)
                                                     I don't know about 4wd... - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                                         Doesn't jibe with my experience. - (admin)
                                             If you're used to it (and careful), it's manageable. - (CRConrad) - (5)
                                                 Not the handbrake, remove the ABS fuse - (boxley) - (4)
                                                     "[Y]ou turn the wheel, nothing happens"; y'know what that... - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                                         Agreement there - (admin)
                                                         get into a parking lot try it and report back - (boxley) - (1)
                                                             Ah, I see: Good only down to "Slush" on the thermometer! :-) -NT - (CRConrad)
                                         Re: replace his '98 Volvo with? - (a6l6e6x) - (9)
                                             Woo, air-con! - But, I can't afford such a *luxury* car! ;-) -NT - (CRConrad) - (8)
                                                 Air-con not quite a luxury here in .au - (Meerkat) - (7)
                                                     You hardly ever want to accelerate and brake simultaneously. -NT - (CRConrad) - (5)
                                                         True! - (Meerkat) - (4)
                                                             Whatcha driving now, a Jose'? :-) -NT - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                                                 Don't spose anyone else calls 'em "spanish cars" - (Meerkat) - (2)
                                                                     Naah, British usage too. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                                         Manuel on purpose. I'm just bored at work :) - (Meerkat)
                                                     driving on ice, cars fer let - (boxley)
                                         Volvo:Saab ratio in Finland? - (Ashton) - (4)
                                             Dunno exactly; a bit more Volvos than SAABs, I think. - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                                 I could be wrong about *good* ABS, of course. - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                     newer used car buying advice - (boxley) - (1)
                                                         Good advice. - (Ashton)
                                 Qualifies to be an antique! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                                     Sadly, not Over Here; that's pre-1920 or sumthin', IIRC! :-) - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                         here classic is >20 years antique I dunno -NT - (boxley)

I'll even go so far as to concede that today's postliterate teenagers are already sufficiently impaired by pop culture that anything that serves to make them even more scatterbrained is rather in the way of gilding the lily, and should not be encouraged.
87 ms