IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New A sobering responsibility,
trying to supply the necessary tools, inculcating just the principles of ~ 'how to think to some purpose about ___ (anything)'. {sigh}

Offhand though, I can't think of a worse ego-trap than - imagining one can 'teach teachers' (unless you are that rare one who is good at expressing principles via damn good stories - like the Sufis?)

All I can come up with is - looking back.. what do I wish my esteemed educators had mentioned ever so briefly - before I had to find out by the usual processes of disillusionment?

1) Country was founded by pretty-wise folks, with pretty-fine 'Principles' stated in almost wondrous prose. These are Ideals, pretty hard to follow - but very good guides.

2) Many folks who live here, are not well acquainted with what these founding folks meant - but claim that they do understand. Be aware of the differences between what people say they believe, and how you see them 'living'.

3) Adults (also) lie, quite a lot - while advocating that truth-telling is better. It's a human thing, since everyone feels inadequate in some area of life. You can (I hate 'ought' in such matters) try to do better; try not to pick just the easist course.

4) What you can remember to do is: listen carefully. Later, use your best mode of thinking about what you hear. Discard the obvious puffery and nonsense: add what's left to your own store of sensible views. Keep refining those. No one can do this for you - not even I, your Parent God.

Oh and..

5) Question Authority. Yes, it was a cliche a few decades back but - remember that everything you read or hear was said by someone human; none of those utterances IS "The Truth" about anything - it is only a pointer (if it's well done). You have to fill-in the meaning, for yourself.

6) Good Luck, Kid!

Well.. anyway: Good Luck to You. Yours is the most difficult of all human duties, but at least you understand that! Probably that will keep you er honest ;-) Gawd help the kids with parents unclear on most-all the concepts :(

Ashton
New Thanks to you both. Very good thoughts.
     Lynne Cheney-Joe Lieberman group puts out a blacklist - (slugbug) - (18)
         Deja vu: Retrospective on 1950 UC Loyalty Oath affair - (Ashton) - (2)
             Publisher of the SacBee - (boxley) - (1)
                 It is unfortunate, isn't it... - (jb4)
         My thoughts - (ben_tilly)
         Can another HUAC be far behind? - (mmoffitt) - (5)
             HUAC never disbanded, just low profiled -NT - (boxley)
             HUAC? - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                 Yes, House Un-american Activities Committee - (jb4) - (2)
                     Interesting history note - (boxley) - (1)
                         I remember that. - (mmoffitt)
         Since when have universities valued freedom of expression? - (marlowe) - (7)
             Well.. 'actual debate' is still favored, I am told. - (Ashton) - (6)
                 Re:'academia' remains our last bastion of hope - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                     As I said: warts and all. - (Ashton) - (4)
                         There must be Balm, if not in Gilead, then... - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                             Tell them the truth as you see it and always explain both - (boxley)
                             A sobering responsibility, - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 Thanks to you both. Very good thoughts. -NT - (mmoffitt)

Given enough shellac, even turds can be polished.
139 ms