IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New There must be Balm, if not in Gilead, then...
somewhere, surely? I don't pretend to have "mainstream" ideas. I understand better than most your point about the stupidents of today. Tell me, if you will, what I am to do. I have two daughters aged 9 and 11. If they are to "succeed" in this country, surely they must adopt, (if only to feign support of), the mores (such as they are) of their society. Should I "teach" them to be "good Americans" (you know, the brand of Good American that Resident Bush wanted us to be when he encouraged us to "be good Americans. Go on with your lives. Go shopping") or should I try to expose them to other philosophies? If I chose the latter, am I not condemning them to an intellectual life replete with misery?

You see, it is not only the educators who are in a hopeless conundrum. Some of us parents are right there with them.
Mikem
New Tell them the truth as you see it and always explain both
sides of the issues equally. With mine I say some people want to be safe, our country was meant to be free, you cant have both at the same time.
thanx,
bill
My Dreams aren't as empty as my conscience seems to be
New A sobering responsibility,
trying to supply the necessary tools, inculcating just the principles of ~ 'how to think to some purpose about ___ (anything)'. {sigh}

Offhand though, I can't think of a worse ego-trap than - imagining one can 'teach teachers' (unless you are that rare one who is good at expressing principles via damn good stories - like the Sufis?)

All I can come up with is - looking back.. what do I wish my esteemed educators had mentioned ever so briefly - before I had to find out by the usual processes of disillusionment?

1) Country was founded by pretty-wise folks, with pretty-fine 'Principles' stated in almost wondrous prose. These are Ideals, pretty hard to follow - but very good guides.

2) Many folks who live here, are not well acquainted with what these founding folks meant - but claim that they do understand. Be aware of the differences between what people say they believe, and how you see them 'living'.

3) Adults (also) lie, quite a lot - while advocating that truth-telling is better. It's a human thing, since everyone feels inadequate in some area of life. You can (I hate 'ought' in such matters) try to do better; try not to pick just the easist course.

4) What you can remember to do is: listen carefully. Later, use your best mode of thinking about what you hear. Discard the obvious puffery and nonsense: add what's left to your own store of sensible views. Keep refining those. No one can do this for you - not even I, your Parent God.

Oh and..

5) Question Authority. Yes, it was a cliche a few decades back but - remember that everything you read or hear was said by someone human; none of those utterances IS "The Truth" about anything - it is only a pointer (if it's well done). You have to fill-in the meaning, for yourself.

6) Good Luck, Kid!

Well.. anyway: Good Luck to You. Yours is the most difficult of all human duties, but at least you understand that! Probably that will keep you er honest ;-) Gawd help the kids with parents unclear on most-all the concepts :(

Ashton
New Thanks to you both. Very good thoughts.
     Lynne Cheney-Joe Lieberman group puts out a blacklist - (slugbug) - (18)
         Deja vu: Retrospective on 1950 UC Loyalty Oath affair - (Ashton) - (2)
             Publisher of the SacBee - (boxley) - (1)
                 It is unfortunate, isn't it... - (jb4)
         My thoughts - (ben_tilly)
         Can another HUAC be far behind? - (mmoffitt) - (5)
             HUAC never disbanded, just low profiled -NT - (boxley)
             HUAC? - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                 Yes, House Un-american Activities Committee - (jb4) - (2)
                     Interesting history note - (boxley) - (1)
                         I remember that. - (mmoffitt)
         Since when have universities valued freedom of expression? - (marlowe) - (7)
             Well.. 'actual debate' is still favored, I am told. - (Ashton) - (6)
                 Re:'academia' remains our last bastion of hope - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                     As I said: warts and all. - (Ashton) - (4)
                         There must be Balm, if not in Gilead, then... - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                             Tell them the truth as you see it and always explain both - (boxley)
                             A sobering responsibility, - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 Thanks to you both. Very good thoughts. -NT - (mmoffitt)

Iggy Pop in Daisy Dukes.
72 ms