IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Deja vu: Retrospective on 1950 UC Loyalty Oath affair
Bad enough that the confusion of fascism with 'patriotism' remains a continuing - not a new Murican conundrum. Next predictable step in this transparent progression of our prayerful AG is: the Millennium Loyalty Oath. Think about what a coerced loyalty oath actually means, as we head towards a replay.

Last time.. a UC history professor, Ernst Kantorowicz did, and wrote but did not then publish a tract, The Fundamental Issue. In this he (correctly IMhO) characterized the University's version as, an attack upon tenure. Tenure being precisely that insularity from the winds of politics: without which, you can become dog meat for any number of those 'academic' reasons.. Some attention to the issues of 1950 and how some folk responded - is perfectly and sadly appropriate this 12/17/01:

[link|http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/uchistory/archives_exhibits/loyaltyoath/docs_images.html|UC retrospective on loyalty oaths.]

[link|http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/uchistory/archives_exhibits/loyaltyoath/kantorowicz.html|The Fundamental Issue: Documents and Marginal Notes]

There are statements of others who would not sign, at least one who felt compelled to sign and also excoriate. Even now, pre-new oath - these remarks are as relevant to other Ashcroft trends as they were to the hysteria of 1950.

Given the political nature esp. of Calif. Regents - often the financiers from previous governors' campaigns - and their now 10 year tenure (reduced from 16 recently IIRC): we may see a replay in this State next, of the contents of The Fundamental Issue (?)

Authoritarians everywhere yearn for.. some antidote to the practitioners of 'true' democratic debate; we may only fill in our personal opinions of the state of the Murican Corp media top --> bottom, to see what pseudo-debate looks like / also recall all "Presidential stage-managed 'debates'" each of us can recall.

I think it helps to note also the fact that, during the Cold War, many 'tests' were made ~~ setting up a card table in some shopping center; asking people to sign a petition. Petition consisted of excerpts from the Constitution, mostly Bill of Rights IIRC. I've long since forgotten the horrifying numbers/% of folk who deemed these sentiments "communist-sounding". But I'll never forget the fact of those 'tests'.

For me, the measure of our decline is simple: the number of days elapsing since Ashcroft tipped his hand re his intentions -- and until there becomes apparent vocal, sustained and serious opposition to this Administration's vision of a scared-shitless Murica, ready to grant them Imperial power over us all. COINTELPRO is baack. What's to be next?

I saw the tail-end of the last Mc Carthyism and know how it started (and the rationale). Most all here are too young to have the foggiest idea what it felt like, that.. Murica: so FEW years after 'defeat' of Nazism. Ha! it just went underground, like herpes simplex - always it is Around waiting for a weak immune system, to break out..

Folks: THIS HAPPENED RIGHT HERE IN 1950 <<<
(I had to sign a Bowdlerized form of it, to work for the then 'UC Radiation Lab', several years later - and helped in the work to cancel and have that document returned to me - and all the others'. Nobody ever apologized then or .. next?)

Anyone who gives a shit had best give it pretty soon. The momentum is building daily, for rolling-over and playing dead, again.

Ashton
deja vu

PS - just now on news from Sacramento:

A publisher (missed, of what) giving a commencement address at Sac State, raised the issues of recent curtailment of civil liberties, wiretapping, etc. Was shouted down by audience.. finally left podium - crowd would not respond to the President's request for civility.

One business major later said to reporter, ~"for just one day we wanted a light-hearted .. ceremony". A couple other students voiced contempt for the crowd's behavior. The talking heads on Ch 10 sounded much like the Tom Tomorrow cartoon pair. That word er controversial mentioned somberly. Natch.

{sigh} It's begun.
New Publisher of the SacBee
and when the draft returns with no outs for college students, kids start coming home in body bags, then call me cynical but their anti war spirits will be activated.
thanx,
bill
My Dreams arn't as empty as my concience seems to ne
New It is unfortunate, isn't it...
...that there isn't enough foresight (and enough people who remember anything) that it will need to get to that point before enough people buy a clue to actually do something...
jb4
(Resistance is not futile...)
     Lynne Cheney-Joe Lieberman group puts out a blacklist - (slugbug) - (18)
         Deja vu: Retrospective on 1950 UC Loyalty Oath affair - (Ashton) - (2)
             Publisher of the SacBee - (boxley) - (1)
                 It is unfortunate, isn't it... - (jb4)
         My thoughts - (ben_tilly)
         Can another HUAC be far behind? - (mmoffitt) - (5)
             HUAC never disbanded, just low profiled -NT - (boxley)
             HUAC? - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                 Yes, House Un-american Activities Committee - (jb4) - (2)
                     Interesting history note - (boxley) - (1)
                         I remember that. - (mmoffitt)
         Since when have universities valued freedom of expression? - (marlowe) - (7)
             Well.. 'actual debate' is still favored, I am told. - (Ashton) - (6)
                 Re:'academia' remains our last bastion of hope - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                     As I said: warts and all. - (Ashton) - (4)
                         There must be Balm, if not in Gilead, then... - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                             Tell them the truth as you see it and always explain both - (boxley)
                             A sobering responsibility, - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 Thanks to you both. Very good thoughts. -NT - (mmoffitt)

Perfectly clear, if you swallow the right mushrooms and squint your eyes just right.
82 ms