IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New My next door neighbors have a pit bull
She's less than a year old, but big and unpredictable. She often charges the fence when we come outside. Her jaws are massive. Her owners are laid back hippie types who chuckle at her aggressive behavior and attribute it to her being "just a puppy". She's also a digger and digs at the fence line. She's made holes big enough to get under, but she hasnt come in our yard yet. Her owners saying "no no Isabell" is about all the training she gets. This dog scares me. They also have 2 other dogs that bark worse than mine. They get going with their yapping and it triggers Sadie to chime in. (And they also dont pick up the their dog waste. 3 dogs, 97 degree temps today- you can guess what it's going to smell like. I have no prob telling them their yard stinks. It's the only thing that motivates them to pick up)
New People.
They don't assume responsibility for children misbehaving.

They don't assume responsibility for their pets.

Many times they neglect them. Many times they don't train them. Training is part of caring for pets and children.

Then they claim that their little angels can't misbehave.

Our society is sick, and these are some of the symptoms.

It's not a new thing; we had a few neighbors with dogs that would pack together at night and attack our sheep. Fang (my dog) would often run them off, but if he wasn't around, my grandfather had a 20gauge with shells loaded with rock salt to drive them off. Often just the sound would drive them away, but... Well, he never killed a dog (outside of putting his own down when necessary); he loved dogs.

We always heard the 'but MY dog would NEVER hurt a fly' whenever he had to resort to this.

Luckily, we lived in a mostly agricultural community (well, it was at that time, anyway), so the authorities would just dismiss complaints from the dog-owners (then why were they on the property hunting sheep? We had witnesses, they had assertions contrary to the nature of canines). It probably wouldn't work today - the way society works today, we'd probably be charged with the claim that keeping sheep was an 'attractive nuisance' for pets.

But I digress - a yard like that is neglect; have you thought about taking pictures and sending them to the SPCA? Take pictures of the holes, too - if the unruly animal gets into your yard and threatens you, you want evidence that the owners didn't take sufficient steps to contain their unruly animal. Tape recordings of the barking might help too.

I dunno.
[link|http://www.runningworks.com|
]
Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New Precautionary visit from Animal Control/SPCA in order? :-(
Especially having your own dog in the back yard, I think you want to have someone impress upon your neighbors that they need to train their pooch.

At least you might want to call someone in Animal Control or the SPCA to impress upon them your concerns (if you haven't already).

Or, maybe they'll move soon. ;-)

Luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Had a neighbor like that
10-year-old son got a pit bull. Would walk around the neighborhood with the leash in one hand, a library book called "Attack Dog Training" in the other. No, it wasn't a power trip at all.

The dog tore through our wooden fence four times in three weeks, and we found her in our backyard. Fortunately we always noticed her before going out ourselves. Finally she tore through the fence on the other side, and that neighbor didn't have a gate so the dog got loose in the neighborhood.

That's not why we moved, but it made it easier to not miss the old place.
===

Purveyor of Doc Hope's [link|http://DocHope.com|fresh-baked dog biscuits and pet treats].
[link|http://DocHope.com|http://DocHope.com]
New I have a very large dog
cross breed pit and rott. 110 pounds by my latest estimate. He licks strangers that walk in the house. The last time he had any question about someone entering the house I believe was Greg last year when he was 12 months old. At that time he was an unimpressive 80 pounds.

He barks in the back yard and promptly is yelled down. Digging gets his nose pushed into the hole and a nice firm tap on the tip of his nose following. I like my grass (what I have left)

However, my neighbor expressed discomfort at the low fence that was keeping the dog in (the dog has zero leaping ability, all power is in front and its not strong enough to get vertical). I held the dog (who is completely non threatening for most everyone) while it became aquainted with her.

He still will bark when he hears the car, but now promptly shuts up when he hears her tell him to be quiet. He cannot see her anymore, as the fence has now been replaced with 6 foot wooden fencing as opposed to the old 4 foot chain link.

We worry about him with very small children only because of his size.

I will admit, when he barks/growls he is >very< frightening to hear. I have no faith in his ability to protect me, however. Maybe he will lick the assailant to death.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New As you've discovered...
Pit bulls may be good at fighting, but are inclined to be very loving dogs.

Even if your dog has been raised to take advantage of this, though, you still need to be on top of accidents where they can cause injury through not understanding their own strength.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Tossing the dog a box of chocolate bars . . .
. . will fix the problem. Dogs love chocolate.

Chocolate is also fatal to cats, but cats won't eat chocolate.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Chocolate's not good for dogs, either.
Ask any vet.

Wade.
Save Fintlewoodlewix
New That's what I implied . . .
. . with "will fix the problem" and "also fatal to cats".
New D'oh. I misread.
Save Fintlewoodlewix
New "Fatal"?
You sure about that?

Peter
[link|http://www.ubuntulinux.org|Ubuntu Linux]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home]
Use P2P for legitimate purposes!
New Yes
There are plenty of sites on the internet giving dosages and types of chocolate to sicken and kill. Here's the first one from a google search: [link|http://www.dogownersdigest.com/news/library/chocolate-dog-poisoning.shtml|
Chocolate Dog Poisoning].
New Well...
On a recent trip to the US, I brought a box of chocolates as a gift. The family mutt (13 yo. chocolate lab...) burgled my suitcase and absconded with the whole pound. No ill results other than a brief spell of the runs and mutt absolutely want to know where the rest of the goods are...
New Nevermind
I misread your post.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
Expand Edited by tuberculosis June 27, 2005, 01:00:26 PM EDT
New Exactly the result...
...that is predicted by the toxicology.

Had that been a pound of baker's chocolate you would likely have been mourning the loss of the hound.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New It's the theobromine in chocolate
For humans, it acts as a mood enhancer. Eating chocolate really does make you feel good. Comined with the caffeine found in cocoa, chocolate acts as a pick me up. Watch your coworkers head to the vending machines for a candy bar as they hit their mid afternoon slump.

Dogs and horses metabolize theobromine slower than we do- which is why its more toxic to them. It over-stimulates the heart and lowers blood pressure.
     Do I see another metaphor for Our Times? - (Ashton) - (85)
         Oh yeah. No one could ever love a pit-bull, right? - (imric) - (77)
             Loving, perhaps, but . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (28)
                 anyone care to guess which breed most likely to bite? - (boxley) - (27)
                     Personally, I consider any largish dog . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (25)
                         if one wants to own a dog for "protection" - (boxley) - (22)
                             WTH is a "noodle dog"? -NT - (admin) - (5)
                                 what little girls with hearing impediments call poodles :-) -NT - (boxley) - (4)
                                     What's wrong with a poodle? - (admin) - (3)
                                         standards are fine, its the little fockers I dont like - (boxley) - (2)
                                             Agreed. -NT - (admin)
                                             While I'm generally kind to animals, and even insects . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                             My next door neighbors have a pit bull - (bionerd) - (15)
                                 People. - (imric)
                                 Precautionary visit from Animal Control/SPCA in order? :-( - (Another Scott)
                                 Had a neighbor like that - (drewk)
                                 I have a very large dog - (bepatient) - (1)
                                     As you've discovered... - (ben_tilly)
                                 Tossing the dog a box of chocolate bars . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (9)
                                     Chocolate's not good for dogs, either. - (static) - (2)
                                         That's what I implied . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                             D'oh. I misread. -NT - (static)
                                     "Fatal"? - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                         Yes - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                                             Well... - (scoenye) - (2)
                                                 Nevermind - (tuberculosis)
                                                 Exactly the result... - (bepatient)
                                             It's the theobromine in chocolate - (bionerd)
                         It's true. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             Acording to an article in the Los Angeles Times . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                     Pitbulls and Rotweilers have caused more deaths. - (Another Scott)
             Straw Dog___ Pshaw. - (Ashton) - (8)
                 Nit. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     - Picked. Indeed; similarly sloppy re lumping Rotweilers - (Ashton)
                 Nonsense again. - (imric) - (5)
                     JeezSkip, go READ some stuff on this breed's RECORD, willya? - (Ashton) - (4)
                         So which part do you disagree with? - (imric)
                         No, Ash. - (imric) - (2)
                             I'll go ~ with 'the meanest dog being superior' - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 *shrug* Whatever. -NT - (imric)
             Any dog can end up vicious depending on its owners - (Silverlock) - (38)
                 So what? Read my posts - (imric) - (37)
                     Point = missed - (Silverlock) - (32)
                         ONCE AGAIN, read my posts. - (imric) - (31)
                             That's what I'm responding to - (Silverlock) - (30)
                                 And THAT'S where 'tragedy borne of ignorance' comes in. - (imric) - (27)
                                     I think Ashton was talking about 2 kinds of love. - (Another Scott)
                                     I think I may begin to see a glimmer of your point - (Silverlock) - (25)
                                         Keep trying...you are VERY cold (meaning far from the point) -NT - (bepatient) - (3)
                                             Correct me then. Show me the error of my understanding -NT - (Silverlock) - (2)
                                                 Re-read Imrics first response to Ashton - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                     I have, many times. - (Silverlock)
                                         define attack bred animal - (boxley) - (9)
                                             Umm, Animals bred to fight? -NT - (Silverlock) - (8)
                                                 care to name a breed that was not bred to fight? -NT - (boxley) - (7)
                                                     Parsing like a republican you are. - (Silverlock) - (3)
                                                         I see, no answer so start wild accusations :-) -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                                                             Here's an answer - (Silverlock) - (1)
                                                                 viking war dog -NT - (boxley)
                                                     Toy Poodle. :-P - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                         both examples wrong, toy breeds of fighting dogs - (boxley) - (1)
                                                             You do not breed toys to fight - (ben_tilly)
                                         *sigh* - (imric) - (10)
                                             So be it. - (Silverlock) - (1)
                                                 *chuckle* - (imric)
                                             Oh, bullpucky. - (CRConrad) - (7)
                                                 CRC - (imric) - (4)
                                                     Those are indeed my initials. - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                                         Love <> Excuse - (imric) - (2)
                                                             Ah. OK, sorry. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                                 *smile* - (imric)
                                                 of dogs and men (new thread) - (rcareaga)
                                                 Nit. - (mmoffitt)
                                 Interesting. - (bepatient) - (1)
                                     Victim of the RNG in the sky. - (Silverlock)
                     I just re-read the original post - (drewk) - (3)
                         And when a mother loves a child? - (imric) - (2)
                             Yes, indeed - and when a mother loves a child... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                 *shrug* - (imric)
         essential point missed? - (rcareaga) - (6)
             Thank. you. Sir. - (Ashton) - (5)
                 WTF does the wizard of Oz haft to do with anything?... -NT - (boxley) - (4)
                     Box, a phrase was Minted just for You__ years ago - (Ashton)
                     Same issue: Dorothy failed to control Toto: Bad Owner - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                         :-) -NT - (boxley)
                         You utter bastard - (Silverlock)

I'm sorry Dave, but Dave's friend Dave says Dave's at Dave's house.
105 ms