IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Takes just one test case..
To rub the hypocritical Saudis in their own malevolent idiocy. If.. the USSC has the guts to decide without checking with their Selected One for permission ("will it be OK with your [oil] War [oil] sir, if we agree with her case?").

Funny you'd equate courageous with ridiculous. Maybe not. Those lunch-counter sitters-in were kinda ridiculous too. She's willing to take her chances on a robed one blowing her away and then: explaining that and the reasoning behind it. Also seeing: what the Murican Peepul think [oil] of their [oil] UAV suppliers and our pandering to them (?) Should be good for some amusement there, too.

More likely - she will be charged with insubordination; another test case for -

military justice:justice::military music:music

Where do I send her flowers?

A.
New The problem is...
... that her [male] military superiors actually do believe that women are inferior, and would have them do the same thing on-base if they could figure out a way to get away with it.

(PS: your SAT question was well done -- and accurate, too!)
jb4
(Resistance is not futile...)
New And just how...
...does wearing this outfit interfere with her religious freedoms?

What...good >Christian< woman can't pray if their face is covered?

No wonder everybody hates us. We'll spend court time now defending this womans right to get shot.

Courageous? How about stupid? Does that sit better than ridiculous. (got it right this time)
You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Dunno if I can put it in teerms simple enough for Econ.
Yes it is a futile gesture - like Jean d'Arc's and the Buddhist monks' immolations in Saigon [except... Those Worked! got JFK's Attention, and he planned to pull back - though that is not a provable assertion in any document I know of].

I can have no idea what is in this woman's mind, as you can't either - but I'd have bet $20: that you'd pick automatically, the absurd knee-jerk she must be a Librul Feminist\ufffd brand of slogan. Instantly.

Whatever her motivation: she is addressing merely the tip of the iceberg of the [oil] deception [oil] spin and the smarmy tortured 'explanations' [oil] of Why: we are brown- er blacknosing [oil] these Waha'abi troglodytes and attempting to imbue them with Freedom Truth Liberty and the rest of the rationale - for our *Being There...

* Even Chauncey Gardner.. would have seen through the actual cost of our indulging little-boy fantasies with 250 HP 12 mpg toys to gratify the Walter Mitty masses: at the expen$e [Hey! that's an Econ term, ain't it?] of IMPORTING all that oil = *Trade Deficit* [Hey! that's an Econ term, ain't it?]. Hydrogen development? Naaaah - [oil] [oil] [oil]. It's what's for lunch. Ask the [oil] President about H.

So.. maybe she's callow and shallow. Maybe she's not. But rubbing Our nose in our inane plofligacy and our entirely hypocritical 'brotherhood' with these folks who'd like to see US fucked in any way possible
['cept.. keep sending $ for that [oil][oi][vey]]:

I define as a Good Thing. YMMV.

{sheesh} BeeP. Can't you Count? (Deficits)

Ashton
She's a sweetie until concrete actions demonstrate otherwise. Screw any smarmy press reports or Repo spin ... tsk. tsk. shameless hussy.. prolly a Librul Lesbo. (Let's ask Rush - or the WSJ - for the balanced view)
New Weird
next post is the finished one.

Expand Edited by bepatient Dec. 7, 2001, 07:24:27 PM EST
New Sure...fine...whatever.
Let her do whatever she wants. And when she wanders off base, uncovered and in the front seat..in USAF officers clothing and gets her ass shot off...then let whatever family she has sue the government because they didn't have rules that provided her adequate protection. And everyone will cry about how unjust the military is for not taking better care of the new women soldiers.

And...btw...the economics of oil and "librul feminists" have little to nothing to do with my point.

Shes a >target<. It would be nice to minimize that >target<.

New Of course she is.
Must we imagine she is also stupid?

What (I thought) we were attempting to fathom was, Why! would an otherwise likely intelligent critter - want to take a risk..? (Some folks take more risks than other folks, I once heard. Military life appeals - heard that too.)

Reason might be as vapid as a temper tantrum, or much more than that - but is the risk all that great? Are most Saudis armed? (and even.. without a NRA) and apt to pick any reason available.. to whack a US military person, presuming.. impunity?

Is the King as impotent as is Arafat (only perhaps..) to control his Yahoos? Lots of variables AND: from context (if the reporter is accurate) OTHER US types do *not* have to don a mini-burkha, and they seem not to die so, WTF should *she* ??

We don't know enough to guess any of this stuff - that's why I found your race to ridicule her, presumptuous.

A.
New Presumption
is hers.

She is not home.

Who the hell does she think she is, that her comfort outweighs foreign policy concerns - especially when foreign policy is also the concern of her Commander-in-Chief?

I don't care if her CO orders her to cover herself in dirt, or live in a trench, but I'm supposed to believe she has a right to behave as she chooses when on foreign soil?

She should grow up, shut up, and fscking SOLDIER.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New comfort? utter BS.
WTF has comfort! to do with it? Read for comprehension of what this is about:
Lt. Col. Martha McSally says the policy is
unconstitutional. It discriminates against women
and violates their religious freedom, forcing
them to wear clothing and follow customs
mandated by a religion other than their own,
her lawsuit says.

McSally said the regulations undermine her
authority as an officer and require her to send
the false message that she believes women are
subservient to men.
She's a fucking Combat Jet Pilot and a Lt. Colonel

Does donning local camouflage - because you are a FEMALE - constitute exactly the same thing as - ALL following orders re what the uniform of the day is? Obviously it is NOT the same.

You obviously think none of those issues matter. But we're still learning about the integrated armed forces, and we are coming from just milder versions of Taliban attitudes about females and their capabilities. There is - and has always been - lots of juvenile crap within every military culture. There's a big difference between this and telling *everyone* - "don't rile the natives by singing those dirty songs".

There's a smellable amount of testosterone in the yielding of the US Military 2001 to - asking its females to pretend that they are OUT OF PLACE unless in the submissive pose (but it's OK for them to die - EQUALLY). You missed it. I didn't.

Simple answer: Make the Mullahs look really silly: Everyone wears a burkha when going to town. (No guts to do that, though - I'll bet lots). Wimps.

This is still about an artificial treatment of a female because she IS female, and a denial of what we allegedly stand for at home - and supposedly export by example. Even when that is awkward. It is as much about 'religion' - HERS! and also the morale of her own troops, as she says. IMO.

I hope she's sharp, and I hope the press stays interested - it's the only way she won't be eaten by the homogenizing machine. Somewhere along the line, we have to insist upon American Principles\ufffd, no matter who the AG happens to be. Or wimp out and accommodate every petty tyrant: as we become defacto World Police Force.

Ashton
who'd want to fight for a country of wimps, anyway?
New Get this.
It's not our country.

It's not even our culture.

Yet you PRESUME to JUDGE another culture against your own cultural bias.

So does she.

Look. I don't agree with that aspect of the culture, either. However.

She is in thier country. Do you insist that no matter where a 'Murican' goes, they must be free to act like 'Muricans'?

Western law, custom, and belief must be universal and world-wide?

This idea that sovereignty only applies to Westerners? I wouldn't have expected it of you.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New These are quite 'special' circumstances.
We are there at their request (no matter how the King needs to spin that fact - for internal consumption of the Taliban-besotted locals VS his tenuous grasp of their own internal strife. Gods tend to create strife everywhere, notice?)

I like Mike Huber's sensible solution. If they want our firepower - we need not slink around, pandering to the local weirdness: which very *much* helped create the need for our presence now, and previously.

(then there's Iraq).

Now as visitors under normal conditions? Of course! you play by their rules, or you spend your tourist $ somewhere else. Hmm what's to see there besides sand + Western techno paid for by Murican UAV-[oil]-$ ?? Don't suppose there are.. very many actual Western tourists; do you (??) [I turned down my 'offer' flat - for all above reasons. This woman can't.]

Try for just 47 seconds to imagine: You are in a group, commanded by a Colonel. Who just left covered in a black sack, sitting in the back. Needing a Male Chaperon\ufffd.

THAT is what this is about. Not nice-nice tourism to look at the sand. Demeaning is the nice word - this is fucking INSOLENT.

Ashton
New Insolent?
We are there at their request

You don't think that our forces are there for any reasons but our own, do you? I grant you that they may be good reasons, but 'serving' the Saudis, being there as a 'favor' is disingenuous at best. I'm surprised you would swallow that.
Gods tend to create strife everywhere, notice?

ROFL. No, MAN creates strife. God is just a handy excuse. Heh. As if mankind wouldn't squabble without religious excuses...
pandering to the local weirdness:

C'mon, Ash! You are revealing your cultural bias/prejudice, here. Guess yer jest a reg'lar 'Murican Joe, after all! *grin*
I turned down my 'offer' flat - for all above reasons. This woman can't.

Yeah. Because she's a SOLDIER, damnit! She's acting like a spoiled tourist, though. Now she's gonna sue? Over orders? During a time of war? Bahahahahaha!
You are in a group, commanded by a Colonel. Who just left covered in a black sack, sitting in the back. Needing a Male Chaperon?.

THAT is what this is about.

Ok. I'm imagining. Is this a combat situation we are talking about? No? Is it on base? No? Is it on patrol? No? Is it off duty? Yes? Guess what - it's fscking TOURISM.

Imric's Tips for Living
New Ah how EZ it would all be if.. logic alone were enough!
No more worries about 'quality', just [quantity of $] - just nice spreadsheet numbers - with Economists ruling the world: like Right Now.

Everyone goes on leave there. Everyone has the same er leader, on/off base. You are reaching to imagine there is this nice neat dichotomy. 'Respect' in the military is a chimerical thing and it Sure as HELL - takes in the total experience of Our Colonel.. who was seen at ___ in a___ Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle..

J'accuse thee! of sophistry here. This is a [er by definition] regimented caste system - which you would ignore, to lump this into [involuntary] "Tourism". BS - unless she stays confined to base [virtually] - this is STILL Murican Leadership (all the way to Dubya) trading a Colonel's abject humiliation for [oil] and also: full contradiction of our Principles. (Hah - they are ever For $ale)

She is being forced to don a RELIGIOUS SYMBOL. [see below]

Yes we are there for -what we imagine to be - self-interest. But we are not prohibited from being smart: Iraq, Syria, Jordan, Afg. all the *stans: who want the King replaced with a Troglodyte. We want the [oil] King there [oil] for obvious reasons.

But all the BS in Afg. today! is about the denunciation of Fundamentalist repressive regimes. And we now work in that direction by?

HONORING THE REPRESSION. <<< [oil][oil][oil]

Good Murican policy-nonthink there, Imric. It likely WILL be decided on just [oil] the same [oil] rationale as has besotted us since forgetting the 1973 GAS lines. So you're nicely aligned with current dumbth. Nice to be with the Establishment- 'Rightness', huh? Screw Murican "Principles" again.

A. ;-)

PS - let's posit that the King, to assuage a few local Troglodytes, says next that: mere covering of hateful females is not quite enough to demonstrate their abject servility. They must also hourly salaam wherever on the street, in a store etc.

With that merely slight increase in the overall absurdity: are you yet ready to acknowledge a RELIGIOUS ritual being imposed on an Official Representative of the United Consumers\ufffd of Murica?

Too bad there are so few FEMALES in IT - you guys have no empathy WhatSoEver -- even about Murican Puritocracy -- and not even when, as here: it bites you on HER ass.
Expand Edited by Missing User 70 Dec. 8, 2001, 07:37:23 PM EST
New Logic alone?
Or logic at all? You accuse ME of sophistry? *chuckle* SO - when reason doesn't work to support a view, that means the logic must not apply? And that if logic or reason is used in discussion I support "Economists ruling the world: like Right Now"?
Everyone goes on leave there. Everyone has the same er leader, on/off base.

Uh-huh. So, tell me. When did you go in for cultural imperialism, Ash? You ARE, after all, insisting that our values, mores, and laws should be applicable to Americans living in 'furrin' countries, aren't you (or is it just Muslim countries)? Our laws and customs should be binding upon whatever country we happen to be in at the time? Oh - Maybe it's OK to respect other quaint customs as long as we approve of thier culture overall, right?
all the BS in Afg. today! is about the denunciation of Fundamentalist repressive regimes

Funny, I thought it was 'about' ending the threat of terrorism, and the threat it holds for US citizens. Gee, if it IS the war of cultural imperialism that you hope for, we should just take over, rather than leave those durn A-rabs in charge - they'll only continue on the path that thier culture has set them on, after all. Under our benighn guidance, I'm sure that they would take to western culture, even if we have to shove it down thier throats. Hey - and that would end terrorism, too, right?
Too bad there are so few FEMALES in IT - you guys have no empathy WhatSoEver -- even about Murican Puritocracy -- and not even when, as here: it bites you on HER ass.

Now I have to say, Ash - you are completely full of it. I think you may want to rethink your classification IT 'types' into those old cartoonish stereotypes.

Personally, I think the treatment of women 'over there' is deplorable. I would support whatever trade sanctions or other political solutions used to ameliorate and eventually eliminate the plight of women in the Middle East - but I do NOT think that we have some international imperative or right to suspend cultural mores, laws or regulations just because we happen to be there! As to the EMPATHY statement - ya know what? I have empathy, but little sympathy. SHE'S A SOLDIER. SHE DOES UNPLEASANT THINGS for a LIVING. She could be required to live in a muddy trench for months at a time (the uniform would be ruined - that might undermine her authority, since that comes from what she's wearing according to you anyway)- and THAT'S OK, but wearing clothes required by the culture and law of the 'indigenes' when off base is out of the question?

No, Ash. The time for her protests is not during a time of war. If she is so offended, let her apply for a transfer. Oh - that might damage her career, though - and it is the duty of whatever people we happen to be 'protecting' to adjust to our presence and support our own cultural imperatives. And if foreign policy seems to require our presence in a country where the individuals within the military are not treated in a manner that can disregard the laws and mores of those poor barbaric indigenes, well foreign policy must take a back seat to your American Principle of cultural imperialism.

Pfeh.

Imric's Tips for Living
New Piffle
She's saying that she is required to wear a burkha when other females in Government service are not. The local culture argument is beside the point and a red herring.
When I visit the aquarium, the same thought keeps running through my mind;
Leemmmooonnn, Buuttteerrr, MMMmmmmmm good!
New *chortle*

Imric's Tips for Living
New Not quite.
Servicewomen are required, but not any "other federal employees".

It'd be interessting to see how many federal employees there are over there that aren't in the service. And it says nothing about whether those "others" are even women.

So...its not as "beside the point" as you would like it to be.

New anti-piffle
Just did a little googling trying to find some kind of number for federal female employees in Saudi Arabia. Nothing. Some anecdotal evidence suggests that the Saudi law requiring foreign females to dress in traditional garb is honored more in the breach than in strict adherence to the law. Overall however, I can find nothing backing her assertion that only federal servicewomen are required to dress in this manner.

So, I retract my "piffle" comment.

BTW, I found a most interesting draft analysis from the Center for Strategic and International Studies

CSIS_______________________________
Center for Strategic and International Studies
1800 K Street N.W.
Washington, DC 20006
(202) 775-3270
Acordesman@aol.com
Islamic Extremism in Saudi Arabia
and the Attack on Al Khobar
Review Draft \ufffd Circulated for Comment
Anthony H. Cordesman
Arleigh A. Burke Chair in Strategy
June 2001

Introduction
This draft analysis is be circulated for comment as part of the CSIS
\ufffdSaudi Arabia Enters the 21 st Century Project.\ufffd It will be
extensively revised before final publication.
Those interested in commenting, or in participating in the project,
should contact Anthony H. Cordesman at the address shown on the
cover sheet at Acordesman@aol.com.
This draft is copyright. It may be referenced, or quoted at lengths
of less than one page, with proper attribution to the author and
CSIS, and to the fact it is a draft document.
-endquote

Lot's of background and thoughtful analysis. A coherent read without obfuscating languge [link|http://www.csis.org/burke/saudi21/saudi_alkhobar.pdf|Here].
New Reinstate it - BeeP (of all people) corroborated it!
Don:
Just did a little googling trying to find some kind of number for federal female employees in Saudi Arabia. Nothing.
BeeP found it for you. From his linked [link|http://www.usatoday.com/news/washdc/2001-04-24-mcsally.htm|article:]
The State Department policy ... "Embassy women are not expected to wear...
Apparently there are at least SOME women in U.S. federal employ in Saudi Arabia, and they are NOT required to wear sacks.

Furthermore, from that article, what major McSally suggested seems to have been not that she be allowed to run around in halter-tops or bikinis, but "that women should be able to wear their uniforms on official business and dress in long pants and long-sleeve shirts when off-duty".

Oh yeah, and she isn't there Attacking A Son Of Saudi for purely US-egotistic reasons -- well, at least not officially -- either, but "flew her A-10 Warthog jet 100 hours over southern Iraq enforcing the no-fly zone [, and] now runs search and rescue for that operation"; i.e, she is -- at least officially -- there on *their* request, defending *them* from Big Bad Saddam.

Does it *still* seem reasonable to anyone that they be allowed not only to shelter under the wing of her country's generous protection, but also to impose their disgusting old superstitions on her while she goes about providing that very protection for them? If so, then how the fuck do you define "reasonable"?!?

Actually, it seems to me BeeP found total corroboration for his opponents' original view, and rebuttal for his own... Big of ya to post it, Bill! :-)
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New Yup.
And I must say after reading about the State Dept. and Saudi policies, the US military does seem more restrictive than necessary. I agree that it doesn't seem fair, and it sounds like the military is being arbitrary. I don't know what sort of deal was cut for/about our presence there, either. Having foreign military on your soil just might be considered a big deal... I don't know whether or not it entered into negotiations at all or not, though. Unless I hear/find out more about it, I would have to say that she might have a point, and as long as she's not disobeying orders, she is justified in taking this through the appropriate channels. If the Saudis do not require it, why should the military, after all? Of course, if the Saudis DO require it, all I said before still stands.

Imric's Tips for Living
New not really...
The State Department policy, updated in an embassy memo last August, says men and women should dress conservatively. Women, it says, should wear long dresses and avoid trousers.

It adds, "Embassy women are not expected to wear abayas when out on official business. ... The guidance issued by the Saudi Embassy in Washington states that non-Muslim women are not required to wear an abaya but should dress conservatively" when in public, including loose-fitting dresses draped well below the knees with long sleeves and a high neckline.

The memo notes that some Western women, especially those living in the more conservative areas such as Riyadh, wear an abaya "in order to avoid harassment" by the mutawa. Even so, "harassment still occurs," the memo says.

Of course...bold added to highlight the appropriate section.

New Seems it only notes that they DO; doesn't say HAVE TO.
And, "wear an abaya 'in order to avoid harassment' by the mutawa. Even so, 'harassment still occurs,' the memo says"?!?

So you are saying she should be *forced*, _by her own superiors_, to go out of her way and humiliate herself -- in order to avoid APPARENTLY _NON_-SANCTIONED "harassment" from an out-of-control organ of the very state she's there to help defend?

Wouldn't it make more sense for those superiors to say, "She's a US soldier here to defend you country. Since you seem to have 'issues' with clothing, we'll order all our soldiers (male as well as female) to wear uniform -- an outfit that clearly states this is a member of your greatest ally's military, here defending YOU on YOUR request -- at all times, on duty as well as off."?

And then add, under their breath, "So reign in your fuckwit 'mutawa', or bear the consequences: if they DARE to harass a member of your greatest ally's military, here defending YOU on YOUR request, then they'll be treated just like any other rag-head in the world that pisses us off."

The fact that they're NOT already saying exactly that (which has nothing at all to do with Saudian oil, oh no, nooo...) is why America is seen as such a gigantic hypocrite by the world. If only you guys could get your act together and act a little more consistently, I'm sure at least a lot more Europeans would respect you a little more -- and, heck, for all I know, so would probably quite a few rag-heads, too!
   Christian R. Conrad
New So you are all in favor...
...of our continued lack of respect for other cultures.

Thats cool.

I'm not.
I've seen "ugly American" syndrome. I'm not a big fan.

When were you indoctrinated into different cultures? When was a 2nd language demanded of you?

We used to be able to afford ignorance...because so many of us stayed within our borders. Now its a penalty...and a very big problem.

And this kind of crap just makes that issue more pronounced.

New Nice two step
Elegantly side stepping the point there Beep. Instead of addressing the issue that only the military female employees are ordered to wear a sack, you bring up the ugly american argument. Slick. Hard to defend against when it isn't the point that was being discussed originally. The State Department itself has guidelines for dress that are less restrictive than the military orders.

Dress. Although Westerners have some leeway in dress and social contacts within company residential compounds, both men and women should dress conservatively in public. Women's clothing should be loose fitting and concealing, with high necks, skirts worn well below the knee, and sleeves below the elbow. It is recommended that women not wear pants.
-endquote

[link|http://usembassy.state.gov/posts/sa1/wwwhcn29.html|[link|http://usembassy.state.gov/posts/sa1/wwwhcn29.html|http://usembassy.st...wwhcn29.html]]

From what I remember of dress uniforms, they should fit the bill. Of course, work uniforms don't make it, the "no pants" guideline rules that out.

The thing is, I agree with a lot of what you say, but the way you belittled and ridiculed the pilot trying to change what she sees as unfair treatment does you no credit.
New Upthread
[link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=20954|My previous post] where even the State Department recommends wearing the "sack" in the Riyadh area...where the military compound just happens to be located.

New Yeah. And?
I read it. Recommend vs. order. You still did the logic two step in the post I was responding to.
New You're making Marlowe's mistake: Conflating...
...Multiculturalism/Cultural Diversity with Moral Relativism; only, you're making it in reverse, compared to him. Where he needlessly blasts "Multiculturalism" because he abhors Moral Relativism, you are allowing Moral Relativism out of a needless zeal to promote Cultural Diversity.

If only you -- both of you -- could see that they aren't the same thing, maybe you'd realize it's possible (and just and good and righteous too, BTW) to defend the one and at the same time condemn the other.

(And no, I *don't* mean defend Moral Relativism and condemn Cultural Diversity! :-)

HTH!

Oh yes, almost forgot: At age five, as I'd think you very well know. Why -- what does it have to do with anything?
   Christian R. Conrad
New Hey Maggie!
What's Your take on this 'little pecadillo\ufffd' ??

Got any testosterone anti-venin in stock?

Ashton
New Hey Ash!
I like your idea of having everyone wear a burkha when off base :)

I don't know this woman or what she is thinking. Yes, she could have
obtained a transfer to a more equalistic country, but she chose to stay
and take a stand, I guess.

I doubt if she'll be successful in her lawsuit though give the current
regime and the implementation of the new world order. Given that
we are experiencing a systematic reduction in individual rights --
particularly among women and minorities -- her timing is particularly
bad.

However, as one of just a few women with her rank and position,
she may actually be able to pull it off. Will be interesting to watch.

-Mags
New Thanks.
Share the pessimism. And given the in-US trends, is it too much to hope that not just a few women try to offer more than moral support (and the less-wimpish men too)? Maybe only on West Wing are such issues dealt with - in fiction.

She's our highest-ranking female fighter pilot; that oughtta galvanize some standard just-plain chauvinistic support.
Martha McSally - she be My kinda Colonel!

Cheers,
Ashton

Is that 100% of the zIWE female(s) on record then?
New not 100%
I think there are a few other lurkers and a few who post occasionally.
Would be interesting to start a thread and see how many of my sisters
are actually here.

-Mags
New Well, then, start a new topic.
Call it "Hen House" - that oughta shake 'em out of the woodwork :)
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Even easier solution.
No military personnel will ever be out of uniform.

That way, she can walk outside, IN UNIFORM.

If some local idiot decides that she's affronting him, he will KNOW that she's US military before he throws the first stone.

If we can't handle that situation, the NO ONE leaves the base.

Solidarity with your own people FIRST.

No male will leave the base, no female will leave the base.

On the base, you wear the uniform.

But we do not have two standards for our own people.
New "The play's the thing wherein we'll catch the conscience of
the King" - theirs and ours.

Yep, add your variation to Mike's delicious one; now they have several ways to actually deal with the implications.

Personally I believe this small tempest cuts close to the heart of our [oil-] and our Principle- follies, of many years (if not decades) duration. Seen on that scale; if we weasel and just trash her (and thus her suit) with State force:

Add that to Jimmy Carter's (even!) neat encapsulation of the effects of our new 'justice' upon the rest of the world's opinion of the "character of the Lone Superpower"?

This tiny 'suit' might emulate the effects of another tiny thing: an Anthrax spore, noted within every next negotiation with each local despot we wish to seduce: For Us or Agin Us.

As to what our home-grown women come to think of how this is finally handled, and the implications? And how the theology lobby likes Muricans adopting religious camouflage for [oil] and comfort?

Let the games begin.

Ashton
now.. how to follow this - see if it gets buried with the truss ads. After all: this was a 12/3 story which BeeP dug up. Wonder if I can contribute to her lawsuit expenses?
New Third option:
The U.S. govornment informs the House of Saud that we cannot maintain a force under those conditions without violating our own customs, traditions, and laws.

And so we will have to leave.

Good luck with Iraq.

----
"You don't have to be right - just use bolded upper case" - annon.
New That would be the Decent, the Honorable, the American thing
to do. It would even be strategically correct - if management had the brains of a tick. Wah'haabis ARE the force behind Taliban, yada yada.

If we weren't a bunch of hypocritical wimps, prostituting for oil - because we can't restrain our appetites for silly cars?

But, we are. It seems. :(

{sigh}

We have no shame - just melodrama.

A.
New And I suspect
that she may have that third option in mind. Not that she thinks she will force the issue - you don't attain her rank without a decent grasp of How Things Work - but one more tweak.

Because there is one thing this suit will do, win or lose, unless it gets buried. And that is point out the nature of what it is we are directly defending over there. Indirectly, we are defending our collective right as Americans to have a foregn policy. But the direct "freedom" we are most directly defending is the freedom of a particularly corrupt family of Bin Laden supporters to tyranize a nation and oppress the women of that nation. Yes, I see that they are useful to our foreign policy, and maybe it is good policy. But let's not be blind to what we are doing.

----
"You don't have to be right - just use bolded upper case" - annon.
New Thanks, Mike.__ Al punte, as usual.
for cutting to the chase - thought we might get there eventually..

Brevity Award with diet [oil]-free blintzes

Those of us who somehow never manage to win the Publisher's Clearinghouse Sweepstakes are allowed to sponsor Our Own $-free Awards\ufffd ... so far.

[If I don't show up ... after a month or two - call the AG's Office; but do it anonymously, OK? For Your Safety & Security]
New Two thoughts comes to mind....
first, the easier answer to this would be to agree with her. Listen lady, you can wear whatever you want. But, all leaves, liberties, etc. are cancelled and you are confined to base.

second, if she's that much of a target, why are they allowing people off-base?
New Third: What (?) do we 'Stand For' _...if anything at all (?)
     Does anyone else think... - (bepatient) - (57)
         (giggles) Nice change. But back to topic, - (wharris2) - (1)
             When in Rome, do as the Romans do. - (nking)
         Takes just one test case.. - (Ashton) - (39)
             The problem is... - (jb4)
             And just how... - (bepatient) - (37)
                 Dunno if I can put it in teerms simple enough for Econ. - (Ashton) - (36)
                     Weird - (bepatient)
                     Sure...fine...whatever. - (bepatient) - (34)
                         Of course she is. - (Ashton) - (27)
                             Presumption - (imric) - (26)
                                 comfort? utter BS. - (Ashton) - (25)
                                     Get this. - (imric) - (24)
                                         These are quite 'special' circumstances. - (Ashton) - (23)
                                             Insolent? - (imric) - (20)
                                                 Ah how EZ it would all be if.. logic alone were enough! - (Ashton) - (14)
                                                     Logic alone? - (imric) - (13)
                                                         Piffle - (Silverlock) - (12)
                                                             *chortle* -NT - (imric)
                                                             Not quite. - (bepatient) - (10)
                                                                 anti-piffle - (Silverlock) - (9)
                                                                     Reinstate it - BeeP (of all people) corroborated it! - (CRConrad) - (8)
                                                                         Yup. - (imric)
                                                                         not really... - (bepatient) - (6)
                                                                             Seems it only notes that they DO; doesn't say HAVE TO. - (CRConrad) - (5)
                                                                                 So you are all in favor... - (bepatient) - (4)
                                                                                     Nice two step - (Silverlock) - (2)
                                                                                         Upthread - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                                             Yeah. And? - (Silverlock)
                                                                                     You're making Marlowe's mistake: Conflating... - (CRConrad)
                                                 Hey Maggie! - (Ashton) - (4)
                                                     Hey Ash! - (slugbug) - (3)
                                                         Thanks. - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                             not 100% - (slugbug) - (1)
                                                                 Well, then, start a new topic. - (Andrew Grygus)
                                             Even easier solution. - (Brandioch) - (1)
                                                 "The play's the thing wherein we'll catch the conscience of - (Ashton)
                         Third option: - (mhuber) - (3)
                             That would be the Decent, the Honorable, the American thing - (Ashton) - (2)
                                 And I suspect - (mhuber) - (1)
                                     Thanks, Mike.__ Al punte, as usual. - (Ashton)
                         Two thoughts comes to mind.... - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                             Third: What (?) do we 'Stand For' _...if anything at all (?) -NT - (Ashton)
         [OT]Ad on the page... - (inthane-chan)
         Fine point - (tuberculosis) - (2)
             In that case - (nking) - (1)
                 Yes You Can, Norm - (Ashton)
         having met some AF wimmen it may give a renewal of the term - (boxley) - (6)
             Maybe glamour + toughness aren't a common mix; and for sure, - (Ashton) - (5)
                 Re: Maybe glamour + toughness aren't a common mix; and for s - (wharris2) - (4)
                     No need for 'Duck' if that were his meaning (?) - (Ashton) - (3)
                         As the Huron said to his soup, e tu Brule? - (boxley) - (2)
                             Yeah well, I figure in any *real* misogynist situation, - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 define "underdog" :) -NT - (boxley)
         Take from the Soapbox - (bepatient) - (3)
             More info - (bepatient)
             It becomes more apparent that, the State Dept. presumes its - (Ashton) - (1)
                 No...actually... - (bepatient)

Tastes just like chicken!
152 ms