IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Another reason for gadgets.
The Japanese also go into miniaturization, especially in Tokyo. Why? So they can use them on the train.

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

New Yes, and their manufacturers used to be totally mystified .
. . that they couldn't sell their gadgets in the U.S.. They finally deduced that Americans like gadgets that do just one thing and do it so simply you can throw the manual out with the packing materials. They've made progress, but they're not there yet.

Of course this just reinforces the Japanese stereotype of Americans that prevailed during WWII. When an American newspaper published the news that the Japanese Purple Code had been deciphered (and certain people were severely disciplined for that), the Japanese rejected the news as a deception, because "Americans aren't smart enough to do that" and continued using the code, resulting in some distress.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
     The Long Emergency - (tuberculosis) - (47)
         Heh. - (ubernostrum)
         I'm not convinced - (ben_tilly) - (7)
             I think I'm glad my folks live in rural WA - (FuManChu)
             Agree on the agriculture angle - (tuberculosis) - (5)
                 Interview on NPR - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                     Not a particularly useful number - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                         The farm sounded smallish - a family establishment - (Arkadiy)
                     How big's the "farm"? - (Andrew Grygus)
                 Some numbers. - (Another Scott)
         This is the same "small is beautiful" crap . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (21)
             Which 75% is that? -NT - (andread) - (19)
                 That's for economics to decide. -NT - (Andrew Grygus) - (16)
                     How about listing your 75% -NT - (andread) - (15)
                         I am already about 50% of average American . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (14)
                             Adaptable to other power sources. - (JayMehaffey) - (13)
                                 Very, very high costs - (ben_tilly) - (12)
                                     The future of shipping - (tuberculosis) - (11)
                                         I have recollection of a Japanese freighter like that. - (Another Scott)
                                         It is natural that German interest in sail continues . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (9)
                                             More successful than everybody except the US - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                                                 Cargo capacity? Reliability? - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                                                     Stats are here - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                         Preussen was rammed by an English channel packet . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                             Thanks, I've got a new sailing topic to read up on -NT - (tuberculosis)
                                             even more interest in lighter than aircraft - (boxley) - (3)
                                                 Here's a wacky twist on that - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                     Old friend on that page - (drewk) - (1)
                                                         Yup, Doug Marker - (Ashton)
                 Re: Which 75% is that? - (SpiceWare) - (1)
                     Info on white LEDs - (SpiceWare)
             Just because people have been predicting doom forever... - (ben_tilly)
         It depends - (JayMehaffey) - (2)
             $5 gasolene = SUVs join dinosaurs. - (Andrew Grygus)
             We have hordes of people whose mission in life is to - (Arkadiy)
         I dont think it's so terrifying - (bionerd) - (12)
             Food is going to be expensive . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (11)
                 Electronics may go up. - (JayMehaffey) - (10)
                     Yes, but $3600 'big screens' entertainment centers . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (7)
                         Actually, I would expect purchases to increase - (tuberculosis) - (6)
                             I'd expect the opposite - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                                 Probably talking about different points on the same curve - (tuberculosis)
                                 I think the big screens will still sell - (SpiceWare) - (2)
                                     I dunno about that... - (jb4) - (1)
                                         LCDs driven by white LEDs -NT - (SpiceWare)
                                 Could argue the other way as well. - (Another Scott)
                     Another reason for gadgets. - (static) - (1)
                         Yes, and their manufacturers used to be totally mystified . - (Andrew Grygus)

What you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it.
83 ms