IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Interview on NPR
a farmer say that he can use up to 200 galon/day in season.
--

"Consider a perfectly spherical cow, radiating milk isotropically."

-- [link|http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/002008.html|Language Log]

New Not a particularly useful number
Sure, there's ploughing/planting season - lasts a couple weeks, harvest is busy, but there's a lot of down time too. Fuel use on a farm is spikey. Also interested in how many acres he works.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
New The farm sounded smallish - a family establishment
Yes, he said that the fuel use is drastically lower off season.
--

"Consider a perfectly spherical cow, radiating milk isotropically."

-- [link|http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/002008.html|Language Log]

New How big's the "farm"?
Today "farmer" tends to be a corporate size entity so 200 gallons may not be that much, and "in season" may be short depending on the crop. For sure though, rising fuel costs will greatly increase the cost of food.

On the plus side, many farms generate huge amounts of organic waste which can be put to much better use than it is today when economics shift.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
     The Long Emergency - (tuberculosis) - (47)
         Heh. - (ubernostrum)
         I'm not convinced - (ben_tilly) - (7)
             I think I'm glad my folks live in rural WA - (FuManChu)
             Agree on the agriculture angle - (tuberculosis) - (5)
                 Interview on NPR - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                     Not a particularly useful number - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                         The farm sounded smallish - a family establishment - (Arkadiy)
                     How big's the "farm"? - (Andrew Grygus)
                 Some numbers. - (Another Scott)
         This is the same "small is beautiful" crap . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (21)
             Which 75% is that? -NT - (andread) - (19)
                 That's for economics to decide. -NT - (Andrew Grygus) - (16)
                     How about listing your 75% -NT - (andread) - (15)
                         I am already about 50% of average American . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (14)
                             Adaptable to other power sources. - (JayMehaffey) - (13)
                                 Very, very high costs - (ben_tilly) - (12)
                                     The future of shipping - (tuberculosis) - (11)
                                         I have recollection of a Japanese freighter like that. - (Another Scott)
                                         It is natural that German interest in sail continues . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (9)
                                             More successful than everybody except the US - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                                                 Cargo capacity? Reliability? - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                                                     Stats are here - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                         Preussen was rammed by an English channel packet . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                             Thanks, I've got a new sailing topic to read up on -NT - (tuberculosis)
                                             even more interest in lighter than aircraft - (boxley) - (3)
                                                 Here's a wacky twist on that - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                     Old friend on that page - (drewk) - (1)
                                                         Yup, Doug Marker - (Ashton)
                 Re: Which 75% is that? - (SpiceWare) - (1)
                     Info on white LEDs - (SpiceWare)
             Just because people have been predicting doom forever... - (ben_tilly)
         It depends - (JayMehaffey) - (2)
             $5 gasolene = SUVs join dinosaurs. - (Andrew Grygus)
             We have hordes of people whose mission in life is to - (Arkadiy)
         I dont think it's so terrifying - (bionerd) - (12)
             Food is going to be expensive . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (11)
                 Electronics may go up. - (JayMehaffey) - (10)
                     Yes, but $3600 'big screens' entertainment centers . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (7)
                         Actually, I would expect purchases to increase - (tuberculosis) - (6)
                             I'd expect the opposite - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                                 Probably talking about different points on the same curve - (tuberculosis)
                                 I think the big screens will still sell - (SpiceWare) - (2)
                                     I dunno about that... - (jb4) - (1)
                                         LCDs driven by white LEDs -NT - (SpiceWare)
                                 Could argue the other way as well. - (Another Scott)
                     Another reason for gadgets. - (static) - (1)
                         Yes, and their manufacturers used to be totally mystified . - (Andrew Grygus)

All your very long procedures are now belong to us.
235 ms