IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Stats are here
This is all I could find on the German ships. The very largest (Flying Cloud was not the largest of her class, but was notably the fastest and arguably the most commercially successful as she paid for herself more than ten times over).

[link|http://www.caphorniers.cl/preussen/ships_valpo.htm|http://www.caphornie...n/ships_valpo.htm]

The \ufffdPREUSSEN\ufffd (PRUSSIA) was launched in Geestem\ufffdnde in 1902. This vessel had a displacement of 11,150 tons and her hatches could hold 8,000 tons of nitrate (62,000 sacks). This quantity of nitrate was sufficient to fertilize 40,000 hectares of land or provide gunpowder for a whole German army corps.

The \ufffdPREUSSEN\ufffd was entirely steel built, and has been the only entirely square-rigged sailing ship. She measured 133.5 meters long and 16.4 in breadth. She carried 48 sails with a surface of 59,000 square feet. Her mainmast measured 68 meters and utilized 13,000 meters of steel cable. Winches, hoists and pumps were worked by mechanized winches and she was possibly the first vessel of her class equipped with wireless telegraphy.

Compared with Flying Cloud:
L/B/D: 235 \ufffd 40.8 \ufffd 21.3 (71.6m \ufffd 12.4m \ufffd 6.5m). Tons: 1,782 om.

Interestingly, The \ufffdPREUSSEN\ufffd seems to have only survived 13 voyages.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
New Preussen was rammed by an English channel packet . .
. . (almost certainly deliberately) breaking enough rigging to make it difficult to handle and it was driven onto a sand bar. It was carrying a load of pianos for South America at the time.

The ship was so large and heavy tug boats sufficient to pull it free were unavailable. I do not know if the pianos were salvaged.

I have one book which includes a story by a young sailor who later became a writer. He was on a ship that normally traded from England to Africa, but cargos were scarce so they took a cargo to Argentina.

On the way back they had a week of absolutely perfect wind, the most the ship could stand up to. A white object was spotted on the horizon behind them which at first they though was the Sydney mail steamer, the only thing they knew that could be coming on that fast. 2 hours later it had disappeared over the horizon in front of them.

As the ship passed, the crew, completely unaware of this class of ship, just stood by the rail in stunned silence. It was like a ghost ship with only one person seen on deck, and looked like it was out for a Sunday sail on the sound - obviously not strained to the limit as their ship was.

Their ship was carrying 800 tons at about 5-1/2 knots. Preussen was carrying 8000 tons at about 15 knots.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
Expand Edited by Andrew Grygus April 8, 2005, 10:37:26 PM EDT
New Thanks, I've got a new sailing topic to read up on

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"   --Mark Twain

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."   --Albert Einstein

"This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and uncertainty and potential mental losses."   --George W. Bush
     The Long Emergency - (tuberculosis) - (47)
         Heh. - (ubernostrum)
         I'm not convinced - (ben_tilly) - (7)
             I think I'm glad my folks live in rural WA - (FuManChu)
             Agree on the agriculture angle - (tuberculosis) - (5)
                 Interview on NPR - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                     Not a particularly useful number - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                         The farm sounded smallish - a family establishment - (Arkadiy)
                     How big's the "farm"? - (Andrew Grygus)
                 Some numbers. - (Another Scott)
         This is the same "small is beautiful" crap . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (21)
             Which 75% is that? -NT - (andread) - (19)
                 That's for economics to decide. -NT - (Andrew Grygus) - (16)
                     How about listing your 75% -NT - (andread) - (15)
                         I am already about 50% of average American . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (14)
                             Adaptable to other power sources. - (JayMehaffey) - (13)
                                 Very, very high costs - (ben_tilly) - (12)
                                     The future of shipping - (tuberculosis) - (11)
                                         I have recollection of a Japanese freighter like that. - (Another Scott)
                                         It is natural that German interest in sail continues . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (9)
                                             More successful than everybody except the US - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                                                 Cargo capacity? Reliability? - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                                                     Stats are here - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                         Preussen was rammed by an English channel packet . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                             Thanks, I've got a new sailing topic to read up on -NT - (tuberculosis)
                                             even more interest in lighter than aircraft - (boxley) - (3)
                                                 Here's a wacky twist on that - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                     Old friend on that page - (drewk) - (1)
                                                         Yup, Doug Marker - (Ashton)
                 Re: Which 75% is that? - (SpiceWare) - (1)
                     Info on white LEDs - (SpiceWare)
             Just because people have been predicting doom forever... - (ben_tilly)
         It depends - (JayMehaffey) - (2)
             $5 gasolene = SUVs join dinosaurs. - (Andrew Grygus)
             We have hordes of people whose mission in life is to - (Arkadiy)
         I dont think it's so terrifying - (bionerd) - (12)
             Food is going to be expensive . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (11)
                 Electronics may go up. - (JayMehaffey) - (10)
                     Yes, but $3600 'big screens' entertainment centers . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (7)
                         Actually, I would expect purchases to increase - (tuberculosis) - (6)
                             I'd expect the opposite - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                                 Probably talking about different points on the same curve - (tuberculosis)
                                 I think the big screens will still sell - (SpiceWare) - (2)
                                     I dunno about that... - (jb4) - (1)
                                         LCDs driven by white LEDs -NT - (SpiceWare)
                                 Could argue the other way as well. - (Another Scott)
                     Another reason for gadgets. - (static) - (1)
                         Yes, and their manufacturers used to be totally mystified . - (Andrew Grygus)

link lrpdism
309 ms