IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New unproven?
And can you prove that the fairies do not tango and tapdance on the toadstools under a shower of silver pixie dust on the summer solstice? Absent such proof shall I perforce believe in the dancing sprites?

(Incidentally, a distraction during the composition of the abusive post caused me to to omit the step of directing that teaspoonful of venom to the Flame Forum as originally intended.)
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New Absence of evidence means nothing.
While fairies have not been observed dancing on toadstools, this does not mean that we can logically state that they do not do so.

You are, of course, free to believe whatever you like (for now...); however, it is likely to be unproductive to bring to bear the scientific method on something that is inherently unscientific.

Andrew's comment is perfectly correct.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New Evidence..?___of the by-definition ineffable? Ummm
New Re: Absence of evidence means nothing.
Yes, but rather deeper than you suspect - he means that passionate disbelief is nevertheless a belief.
-drl
New You shouldn't try to read my mind.
I know *exactly* what Andrew meant.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New Yes it does.
It means whackos who believe in silly shit like fairies, unicorns, easter bunnies -- or gods! -- should shut the fuck up until they HAVE some.

Why the fuck SHOULD such obviously deluded in-duh-viduals be accorded the same intellectual(*) respect as fully sane people?!?

(*): NB, I'm not talking about the general human respect I have for all people. I'm certainly NOT saying that, for example, toddlers, seniles, or the retarded should be denied (to borrow a famous Yank phrasing (but derived from J. S. Mill) of it) "the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness", any more than the rest of us; I am ONLY saying that what people who insist on believing in fairy tales *say and think* should be taken no more seriously than what, for example, toddlers, seniles, or the retarded say and think. By believing in fairy tales, they're placing themselves in the same general category.

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
Expand Edited by CRConrad Aug. 2, 2004, 06:49:18 AM EDT
New obviously you havnt stopped for a drink at the blue moon
evidence that fairies dance with toads.
thanx,
bill
"delayed incessantly by people whose prevalent qualification was an excess of free-time" Philip Atkinson
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Best post in this thread! Thanx, box!
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New Why is that in every debate about religion and atheism
we end up with driving desire to lock somebody up? It used to be the riligious who acted on that desire. I dare say, they got it out of their system for now. Atheists' turn?
--

"...was poorly, lugubrious and intoxicated."

-- Patrick O'Brian, "Master and Commander"
New Strict atheism is also a religion.
-drl
New For small values of religion. :)
Alex

"If I seem unduly clear to you, you must have misunderstood what I said." -- Alan Greenspan, Federal Reserve chairman
New To be quite honest
religion is one of those "hot topics" that causes a lot of debate. What one person or group believes may be different from what another person or group believes.

If you would like to view it on a psychological level, using me for an example, I think I can explain it a bit better.

My belief in something greater than myself, God for instance, helps me cope better psychologically with life's issues. I get all upset and anxious, my blood pressure goes up, and I get sick, then I pray to that higher power to help me, and somehow by doing this, psychologically it helps me feel better, my blood pressure lowers, and I am no longer upset or anxious. Now perhaps this is more like a tool that I use to help me psychologically deal with my problems. Some would consider me insane for believing in a God, perhaps some would call me superstitious. Yet an observer cannot deny the benefits that believing in God gives me. My beliefs give my life meaning, and I have something to use to counter suicidal thoughts. I think "No if I kill myself, I'll end up in Hell. I'd better seek help fast before I totally lose control." because I also believe in a Heaven and Hell. I believe that my sins will be forgiven and that I will end up in Heaven, because of this I have no fear over death and I am not afraid of dying. I can honestly say that if I didn't have my faith, I would have most likely killed myself for real, because life to me would not have a meaning and with there not being a God, there would not be a Hell. So in this way and others, my religion benefits me. Even if I am 100% wrong and there is no God, you cannot deny the psychological effects my beliefs have on me. Believing in God also helps me cope with the loss of a loved one or friend, or a disaster, or some other bad event in my life.

I do not try to convert those who do not want to be converted, but I do feel that I have a freedom to express my beliefs just like anyone else has for their beliefs. I feel that putting down someone's beliefs and making fun of them for their beliefs is morally wrong. In a diverse world, we should respect other people's rights to believe what they want, even if we do not believe the same things that they do. For example, I sometimes visit Thai Buddhist Monks, I also went to Thailand and met some of the more powerful monks. I have had interesting conversations with them, and I learned how to meditate from them. I may not believe in their religion, but I refuse to put them down or make fun of their religion.

I hope this makes sense somehow, it is late and I am tired. I just wanted to get my two cents worth in.

"What's the use of saving life when you see what you do with it?" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

[link|http://www.xormad.com:4096/district268|I am from District 268].
     "Twas ever thus" - (deSitter) - (40)
         Is not to worry - (Andrew Grygus) - (39)
             In answer to your question - (hnick) - (38)
                 Alas, you are not wrong - (Andrew Grygus) - (37)
                     LA Times: "Do the Math" - (deSitter)
                     Bashing religion again - (Nightowl) - (12)
                         Re: Bashing religion again - (deSitter)
                         was not a bash at Christians - (hnick) - (7)
                             I did wink, by the way in case no one noticed. - (Nightowl) - (6)
                                 Learn some bloody history, woman! - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                     Re: Learn some bloody history, woman! - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                         Still no excuse - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                             I didn't jump down anyone's throat. - (Nightowl)
                                 One note - (jake123) - (1)
                                     Yes, I'm getting that now - (Nightowl)
                         So quoting the evidence of history is 'bashing'? (new thread) - (Andrew Grygus)
                         Surely you jest, Owlet - (Ashton) - (1)
                             Re: Surely you jest, Owlet - (Nightowl)
                     Is that true? Is it a recent phenomena? - (imric) - (3)
                         It might be a recent phenomen*ON* :-D -NT - (pwhysall) - (2)
                             OK - what's the plural of opus?__of 'Grand Prix'?---er :-\ufffd -NT - (Ashton)
                             *smile* - (imric)
                     It explains swaggert et al - (boxley) - (18)
                         Well, I've learned - (Nightowl) - (17)
                             This phrase makes you a maverick - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 Yay, someone gets it! - (Nightowl)
                             What you've learned - (rcareaga) - (14)
                                 Well, yes, that is grumpy - (Andrew Grygus) - (13)
                                     I can prove The Truth - (Ashton)
                                     unproven? - (rcareaga) - (11)
                                         Absence of evidence means nothing. - (pwhysall) - (10)
                                             Evidence..?___of the by-definition ineffable? Ummm -NT - (Ashton)
                                             Re: Absence of evidence means nothing. - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                 You shouldn't try to read my mind. - (pwhysall)
                                             Yes it does. - (CRConrad) - (6)
                                                 obviously you havnt stopped for a drink at the blue moon - (boxley) - (1)
                                                     Best post in this thread! Thanx, box! -NT - (jb4)
                                                 Why is that in every debate about religion and atheism - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                                                     Strict atheism is also a religion. -NT - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                         For small values of religion. :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                                                     To be quite honest - (orion)

One shall be the number of Mojo Jojos in the world, and the number of Mojo Jojos in the world shall be one. Two Mojo Jojos is too many, and three is right out!
83 ms